Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Regarding galls lack of autoattack: Might as well complain about abathurs lack of autoattack gameplay also. Autoattack is important because it is dynamically tied to your movement. The risk of moving closer to the enemy offset by the change to hit them for free, mana-less damage, and then you can move again. If you're good, you find the rhythm between maximizing your moves and ability to stand still and fire one autoattack at a specific target.

This is the skill that most widely seperates good players from bad.

Gall doesn't get this because he's not in control of his own movement. If he had an autoattack it would in-practice work just like tracers but even easier, which would feel dumb and easy as him and oppressive to play against. Gall has his hands full with zero mana and 2.5 extremely, exceedingly spammable skillshots, a utility vision ward, coordinating and timing a powerful skillshot with his brotherhead, an escape that can save himself from mosh or VP, and a potential gamechanger ult.

Gall is so spammy that my husband and wife duo friends who literally only play chogall in QM know every breakable object on every map. WifeGalls clear favorite is the apple barrels on cursed hollow, she'll blow those barrels up all over the map every time chogall is in range of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Having a hero with right click movement but no basic attack would be a great way to have my muscle memory constantly put me out of position from trying to right click minions.

Also re: traits, they have hosed about with and reworked traits in the past. Nazeebo had this weird situation where one of his level 1 talents was so iconic to his gameplay that they just made it his trait instead and his old trait is a level 4 talent now. Uther got the armor mechanic added to his trait, Samuro got the baseline image swap ability, E.T.C's trait was reworked into a temporary armor buff instead of attack speed, Morales had her trait changed from Muradin-lite to its current form, and probably some others.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I thought Nazeebo's old trait was just the damage over time effect he leaves with his attacks, which is still present but with the old level 1 quest built in.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Shadowlyger posted:

I thought Nazeebo's old trait was just the damage over time effect he leaves with his attacks, which is still present but with the old level 1 quest built in.

He got health and mana back from every minion kill, though it might have been a fixed amount (?) whereas the current talent is percentage based. Edit: and the damage used to affect heroes without the level 20 talent (which didn't exist then) as well.

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 3, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m a little late to assassin chat but I think a good general tip is to avoid dying and over committing. I think with melee heroes and bruisers and especially Sonya it’s easy to be extra thirsty and fight non stop.

Whereas with mages like jaina, you don’t want to walk up to the a group of enemies and press R. You rather pull them in a bit before you hit all your buttons to make your combo count and have your team mates help you finish the enemy off.

Or there’s the safe bet raynor where you just stay alive and avoid any flashy plays

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Play Xul. Hit all of your buttons. If you pick Poison Nova, you’ll probably take someone with you.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Removed my whine.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 3, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FYI we have a whining thread. Whining here is okay if you want to talk about balance changes or whatnot, but commiseration happens over there.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Removed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Competitive HotS at its finest: https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseDependableNeanderthalAMPEnergy
(spoilers for Method vs Zealots game #1 for those that actually watch HGC regularly)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The points that I was trying to make re: Gallshit was that Blizzard is not afraid to do weird things like make a character without an Autoattack and that it is 100% entirely possible to make a character without an Autoattack that feels good to play. I'm an idiot and the discussion got out of hand/off track because of my being an idiot and for that I am sorry.

HelixFox posted:

Also re: traits, they have hosed about with and reworked traits in the past. Nazeebo had this weird situation where one of his level 1 talents was so iconic to his gameplay that they just made it his trait instead and his old trait is a level 4 talent now. Uther got the armor mechanic added to his trait, Samuro got the baseline image swap ability, E.T.C's trait was reworked into a temporary armor buff instead of attack speed, Morales had her trait changed from Muradin-lite to its current form, and probably some others.

Tychus went from having Hatred-But-For-Attack-Speed to having a combination of Searing Attacks and Giant Killer.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kith posted:

The points that I was trying to make re: Gallshit was that Blizzard is not afraid to do weird things like make a character without an Autoattack and that it is 100% entirely possible to make a character without an Autoattack that feels good to play.

Except there is a perfectly good reason why Gall doesn't have an autoattack that does not apply to any other character.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wasn't clear. I meant 'nobody has had their trait changed' to the point of removing an important part of it. Yeah, Naz has had his poison trait tweaked, and Tychus got Minigun, but what I meant was that neither Hanjo nor Genzi are going to have their knees capped. It's a signature part of their kit. Sylvanas lost Possession as an ult, but regained it as a talent choice.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mierenneuker posted:

Competitive HotS at its finest: https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseDependableNeanderthalAMPEnergy
(spoilers for Method vs Zealots game #1 for those that actually watch HGC regularly)

The current round on Tomb is similarly crazy.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

One observation about this game, the queue times for QM are ridiculously short, often less than 5 seconds (Europe) so the player base must be fairly healthy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

They are. Every hero's launch skin will be like that until they hopefully figure out that it's the stupidest possible way to sell something.

I don't mind gem-only skins in theory, but only being able to buy them in bundles inflated with recolors is the worst. And unless I'm missing something (maybe because I so rarely see them and don't own any myself) they don't seem that much higher quality that they deserve the high price tag.

One of the problems in HotS has always been Blizzard charging $30 for what would be like $5 or $10 in LoL or $2 in DotA.

GTO posted:

One observation about this game, the queue times for QM are ridiculously shirt, often less than 5 seconds (Europe) so the player base must be fairly healthy.

They're pretty bad if you play for skins, though. :rimshot:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shadowlyger posted:

Except there is a perfectly good reason why Gall doesn't have an autoattack that does not apply to any other character.

This is true. However, it doesn't stop Blizzard from applying other perfectly good reasons to justify making characters without autoattacks or altering existing ones to not have autoattacks, with Gall being a shining example that characters can function just fine without them.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

GTO posted:

One observation about this game, the queue times for QM are ridiculously short, often less than 5 seconds (Europe) so the player base must be fairly healthy.

I routinely get 400+ sec queues in hero league

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Cuntellectual posted:

One of the problems in HotS has always been Blizzard charging $30 for what would be like $5 or $10 in LoL or $2 in DotA.

Which League skin compares to the value you get out of a mecha bundle?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cuntellectual posted:

The Maiev bundle is just under 1500 gems, which is 15 bucks though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

GTO posted:

This is true although based on HOTSLOGS and my own anecdotal experience the matchmaker is pretty loose as far as MMR goes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

GTO posted:

As an Australian on the NA server, I can confidently say that trying to play any mode but QM during Australian evenings is an exercise in patience. I've queued both UD and HL for over 15 minutes without a game. Australian daytime is fine, though, as it aligns with US evenings.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cuntellectual posted:

On the other hand, in LoL it's much harder to get skins without paying for them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

porfiria posted:

This is true although based on HOTSLOGS and my own anecdotal experience the matchmaker is pretty loose as far as MMR goes.

It's pretty loose as far as team composition goes too. If there's a single grouped queue anywhere on either team you can kiss any semblance of balance goodbye.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So this was a weird match:

It was a 12 minute match. We had all their towers a lot of the second half of this game. At one point I bubbled around their cannon area and did my murlocs before getting killed by the cannons. Their Tyrande did not make it :getin:

Also:

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Bogart posted:

I wasn't clear. I meant 'nobody has had their trait changed' to the point of removing an important part of it. Yeah, Naz has had his poison trait tweaked, and Tychus got Minigun, but what I meant was that neither Hanjo nor Genzi are going to have their knees capped. It's a signature part of their kit. Sylvanas lost Possession as an ult, but regained it as a talent choice.

Lost vikings traded 1/2 length death timers for a globes-for-increased-regen talent.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 4, 2018

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Murky is great! We lost but I think I did okay even if I took a different build than usual. You'd better believe I octograbbed that Artanis when I could. Jeez.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Has anyone tried the malthael changes? Curious how much things have changed.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

I think that says more about how bad hero league is though...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Boy I am hot garbage with Sonya. Only have any luck mercing. Can someone give me the basics because I'm missing something.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Snacksmaniac posted:

Boy I am hot garbage with Sonya. Only have any luck mercing. Can someone give me the basics because I'm missing something.

Pretend you're the biggest bully in any 1v1 situation. You can win almost any given matchup as long as you're able to get the globes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hero League queues shouldn't be taken as indicative of the health of the game because there are a ton of reasons people wouldn't want to play it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

AlmightyBob posted:

Blizzard showed a slide during a blizzcon panel that showed what percentage of players were playing each mode at a given time. From memory it was something like:

QM: 55%
HL: 25%
UD: 15%
TL: 5%

Might have reversed TL and UD.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snacksmaniac posted:

People say Sonya is great in 1v1 but in context what this means is that Sonya has good damage and self-sustain but doesn't necessarily want to be chasing and trying really super hard to kill the person you're laning against all the time. Especially in the early game people get too wrapped up in trying to kill the other person, and I mean if you can do it that's great, but Sonya isn't an assassin and I wouldn't play her like one. You win when you force the other person to back away from globes, when they have to go tap the healing fountain or hearth back to base, or when you put so much pressure on them that someone else had to rotate down to try and help gank you. Don't overextend trying to chase your lane opponent, especially if you know their team has an assassin roaming around for kills. Clear your wave, smack your opponent around, beat them up enough that they have to be the one to back off. Watch for them to overextend, then punish them for it. When they back off and you have a chance, grab a quick merc camp near your lane to apply even more pressure.

When teamfights and objectives happen, bear in mind that you aren't a tank. You have an insignificant amount of crowd control until level 10, so you shouldn't (in my limited experience, grain of salt and all) be the one initiating engagement. Instead wait until someone else initiates, pick a target that's in a good position to be punished, and beat the poo poo out of them. Your spear lets you gap close suddenly, slam puts out a lot of damage, and whirlwind lets you sustain in tough spots.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Press W a LOT. Turn on quickcast if you haven't, you'll be mashing that sucker.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Press W a LOT. Turn on quickcast if you haven't, you'll be mashing that sucker.

To expand on this, whirlwind isn't for damage, whirlwind is for self-sustain and waveclear so don't engage using whirlwind. When you want to smack someone around, the stomp is your primary damage dealer.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Good tips everyone. I had a few better games this afternoon until I hit genji art and Varian as the only damage dealer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

No DPS? No problem!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kai Tave posted:

No DPS? No problem!

Those are the most quick-match teams ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lucifirius posted:

Those are the most quick-match teams ever.

It was fuckin wild because my thought process went "oh they have Tychus AND Malthiel? Well RIP our tank then. So who's our DPS...oh. Oh."

And then we proceeded to stomp them. Like, the death count and level count are close but for most of the game past level 7 or so we had a pretty strong advantage. Our Li Li did a shitload of work early game with blinds and at one point was top hero damage for our side, but then the fish slap of death kicked in and it was pretty much all over. I don't even think we bossed, we just snagged a kill with the octo-grab/judgement CC train and took every temple. Auto-attack build Tyrael seems pretty strong.