Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlitterBob posted:

The go-to answer for people with your budget and priorities is to get the nicest Prius they can find in their area for $10K. Youll want a 2004 or newer model, the first generation is not worth looking at.

It doesnt make a lot of sense, to me at least, to sell your Corolla from 2002 purely because you think it is too old and then proceed to buy a 2004 Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

silence_kit posted:

It doesn’t make a lot of sense, to me at least, to sell your Corolla from 2002 purely because you think it is too old and then proceed to buy a 2004 Prius.

He says it is physically falling apart.
Also 10k is going to get you closer to 2009 than 2004, though model year is less important than condition.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
8k after tax got me a well maintained higher mileage 2010 back in fall of 2016. Have put 15k miles on it since with zero issues. I'm in Texas so the truck fever may bring prices down a bit but I'm thinking $10k will get you a very solid Prius well into the 3rd gen in most places.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm unclear on whether the Corolla is actually going to die any day or if it still runs fine but just looks like diarrhea.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm unclear on whether the Corolla is actually going to die any day or if it still runs fine but just looks like diarrhea.

Youd think the car is on its last legs by looking at it but Its not at that stage where Im being nickel and dimed admittedly. It just really sucks to look at and drive. Feel free to criticize me for this choice if it seems premature.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

buglord posted:

You’d think the car is on its last legs by looking at it but It’s not at that stage where I’m being nickel and dimed admittedly. It just really sucks to look at and drive. Feel free to criticize me for this choice if it seems premature.

General concensus around here is it's okay to want a new car just because you want a new car, just don't lie to yourself about it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

General concensus around here is it's okay to want a new car just because you want a new car, just don't lie to yourself about it

This, over and over again. You have to be in a comically bad situation for the massive cost of replacing a car to be a better financial choice than repairing the car you have over even a year or two.

New (or even newer) cars are luxury items to an extent. It's fine to want them, or to want a car that does more than cost as little as possible. Anyone who comes in and says they want the cheapest car possible is already lying to themselves a little.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I went to the auto show in STL last weekend (which being a non-primary-auto-show-city means its really just a big multi-dealer car lot).

I've got to say, Mitsubishi has probably got the shittiest line up of anyone.

Do they have any cars worth buying?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Other than the Evo, did they ever? I cant remember a single Mitsu since the demise of the 3000GT that was worth paying attention to, other than the Evo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've been convinced that Mitsu will exit the NA market for awhile now the way things are going for them.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Proposed Budget: 15k-20k
New or Used: New or Certified Pre-Owned
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes, regular road trips, lots of snow.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Heated seats required.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cargo space, looks

My wife bought a 2005 Ford Focus new off the lot and has finally decided she wants to replace it with another Focus. With just normal servicing at regular intervals her current Focus has held up amazingly well (ie. nothing has broken) despite having a few people run in to it (just small dings, bent hood, etc...) over the years. I'm not really looking to convince her to shop around unless there is something horrible regarding the reliability of the new Focuses. Are they still as reliable as the older generation ones or is there just an obviously superior hatch in this price range?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Portland Sucks posted:

How will you be using the car?: Short commutes, regular road trips, lots of snow.

My wife bought a 2005 Ford Focus new off the lot and has finally decided she wants to replace it with another Focus. With just normal servicing at regular intervals her current Focus has held up amazingly well (ie. nothing has broken) despite having a few people run in to it (just small dings, bent hood, etc...) over the years. I'm not really looking to convince her to shop around unless there is something horrible regarding the reliability of the new Focuses. Are they still as reliable as the older generation ones or is there just an obviously superior hatch in this price range?

The Civic is an obviously superior hatch in every single way, but costs more money. I'd also rank the Mazda 3 over it, but high-trim 3s cost a lot more than Foci.

The Focus isn't at the top of the pack for fuel economy, or interior space, and the transmission is still a bit "off" and drives roughly in stop and go traffic. Long-term (10+ year, 150k+ miles), you'll probably be replacing a transmission, or at least the clutch packs. They're also not horribly unreliable, but most cars are pretty drat reliable now. However, because of that they're cheaper than their competitors. I am a Focus owner and love it.

Edit: I also got mine before the current Civic, Golf, and a bunch of other similar hatches that got a lot better in refreshes. The current Focus is pretty long in the tooth.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 5, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'd probably rather have a Hyundai Accent than a Ford Focus at the low price point but I could definitely be wrong about that.

Correct answer is to pay more for a Civic. If she wants a Ford because she wants a Ford then I guess there's nothing to discuss.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Dunno how much weight to put on the evidence from these guys, but if they're close to right you probably don't want a focus!

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Focus.html

reliability rating

(please click through to the site as there's more information and a year range breakdown)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

GlitterBob posted:

The go-to answer for people with your budget and priorities is to get the nicest Prius they can find in their area for $10K. Youll want a 2004 or newer model, the first generation is not worth looking at.

Why not a Honda Fit? Prius looks just fine in my eyes, but I dont really hear much fanfare about the Fit, which seems like the Honda equivalent of the prius.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

buglord posted:

Why not a Honda Fit? Prius looks just fine in my eyes, but I dont really hear much fanfare about the Fit, which seems like the Honda equivalent of the prius.

The Fit is a solid car, no question about it. The Prius gets recommended above it most of the time for "I want cheapest transportation bar none" because it also reduces maintenance costs from "low" to "lowest of any car that isn't a full electric".

The Fit is also a bit smaller overall.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

It sure is. I'm only 5'11" and find the new Fit too small. I can't move the driver seat back far enough to get comfortable which really surprised me as I've never had that issue in any other American market cars.

And I used to drive a first gen Miata that I found comfortable.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Fit is a solid car, no question about it. The Prius gets recommended above it most of the time for "I want cheapest transportation bar none" because it also reduces maintenance costs from "low" to "lowest of any car that isn't a full electric".

Hot drat. I used to have a 2013 Fit and that was the bees knees. But i'm enticed by the siren song of low-low-maintenance cars. I'm also a manlet (5'6) so I can fit in any car.

This might be outside the scope of the thread, but should I expect a steep insurance hike if I go from 2002 toyota clunker to 2010+ Prius? I know part of it has to do with the car's age. But even a 2010 Prius is an 8 year old car, and doesn't scream liability like a mustang would?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

buglord posted:

This might be outside the scope of the thread, but should I expect a steep insurance hike if I go from 2002 toyota clunker to 2010+ Prius? I know part of it has to do with the car's age. But even a 2010 Prius is an 8 year old car, and doesn't scream liability like a mustang would?

I wouldn't expect it to change much at all unless you have a loan and it requires a higher level of insurance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

buglord posted:

Hot drat. I used to have a 2013 Fit and that was the bees knees. But i'm enticed by the siren song of low-low-maintenance cars. I'm also a manlet (5'6) so I can fit in any car.

The Prius is almost impossible to drive in a way that would incur significant liability costs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

curried lamb of God posted:

Sounds good, thanks! The Octavia 2.0 is about 1,000 more expensive than the Leon 2.0 (and conversely, 1,000 less than the Golf Variant 2.0), so I guess it depends on whether they think the extra room is worth it.

On a side note, I'm driving a rental BMW 118i and it's a bit underpowered but a ton of fun. I could talk them into looking at a 116d, but it's smaller than the MQB vehicles...

The 116d is bad, don't do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Portland Sucks posted:

the new focus is actually in fact horribly unreliable in the automatic transmission department so unless she drives stick you best give it a wide berth

Guinness posted:

It sure is. I'm only 5'11" and find the new Fit too small. I can't move the driver seat back far enough to get comfortable which really surprised me as I've never had that issue in any other American market cars.

And I used to drive a first gen Miata that I found comfortable.

are you some kind of weird shape? i know a bunch of tall rear end people with Fits. As with all "Do I fit in X" it's usually better to go sit in one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the new focus is actually in fact horribly unreliable in the automatic transmission department so unless she drives stick you best give it a wide berth

They haven't sold the Focus with a stick in a few years. Any Focus non-ST in the $15-20k will be an auto, given that stick Foci were under $15k brand new off the lot anyway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

buglord posted:

It really depends on the ownership demographic for liability, I don't think it would change much with those cars.
Covering the car, maybe go up (esp as a 2002 is unlikely to have full cover, but a $10k car probably will), but probably less than you think.
My turbo subaru with disclosed and covered mods (cheat code: wagon) is cheaper to insure than my 100hp mazda 2. Insurance is weird.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

They haven't sold the Focus with a stick in a few years. Any Focus non-ST in the $15-20k will be an auto, given that stick Foci were under $15k brand new off the lot anyway.

What? They still sell them. 5 speed in the S trim and 6 speed in the SE

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you some kind of weird shape? i know a bunch of tall rear end people with Fits. As with all "Do I fit in X" it's usually better to go sit in one.

If you have long legs, a Fit might not be comfortable. Im 62 (with short legs though)and mine barely had enough legroom. Like, I spent 137,000 miles wishing that fucker had one more click in the seat adjustment. It made up for it by being taller so I had tons of headroom.

Because of the way the rear seats fold into the body, they cant let the front seats go back further without actually making the car longer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Not true, it's dead on the non-ST hatch but you can still get it in sedans other than the Ti.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not true, it's dead on the non-ST hatch but you can still get it in sedans other than the Ti.

Sorry for giving bad info, I've only kept a casual eye on it. I saw that you stopped being able to get a stick hatch Focus, and figured it was gone from all of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Sorry for giving bad info, I've only kept a casual eye on it. I saw that you stopped being able to get a stick hatch Focus, and figured it was gone from all of them.

I'm sure the take rate can be measured in basis points

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Proposed Budget: 25k or less
New or Used: New, CPO or Used
Body Style: Hatchback or wagon
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes, dropping off kids (3) at school, some light autocross
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not necessarily
What aspects are most important to you? I want a manual transmission, more room than a sedan and something fun to drive.

I'm coming from an 04 V70R with a 6-speed manual. I don't need to have the 'big' family car anymore since my wife bought a minivan. I mostly just commute 50 miles/day and want something with spirit. I'm primarily looking at a new Focus ST (ST1) but would like other suggestions. An RS would be cool but they are too expensive. Same for a CTS-V Wagon. I don't think of myself as a VW person either.

[I can't get an ST2 anymore and I don't fit into the ST3 seats at all]

Edit: wife says the ST is too small. she might be right but I can't let her know that. Any mid-size analogues to the ST? WRX?

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you still own the V70R if so PM

poo poo i'll trade+cash you my FoST

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What? They still sell them. 5 speed in the S trim and 6 speed in the SE
I bought a 2015 new with a five-speed and I'll hit 50,000 miles before summer. Absolutely flawless, all I've done as far as maintenance goes is a few oil changes and a new set of tires. The throttle is jumpy and easy to confuse in 1st gear at extra-slow parking lot speeds, but that's just a dumb computer thing that won't kill the car or cost $Texas in repairs and only matters if I have to maintain like 8 miles per hour. 5 mph is idling in 1st gear which is fine and 10+ is in second gear which smooths things out a ton, and really how the gently caress often to you have to drive at exactly 8 mph for an extended period? Driving at "traffic is moving along nicely" speeds is sweet as gently caress.

A manual Focus was the best $20,000 I've ever spent. (I had some options tacked on, don't look at me like that)

fake edit: Ok mine was a 2015 when a 5 speed manual was available on every trim level that had the 2.0 NA, looks like now you can't get a hatch with a manual new. Sucks to suck. Buy a Honda or a sedan with the manual since that's still a thing... but now there's 6-speeds that aren't turbofast sporty ST models... poo poo's all different now. With the 2015 facelift I figured transmission poo poo would stay the same til the next total redesign, color me wrong as poo poo I guess

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 7, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

I bought a 2015 new with a five-speed and I'll hit 50,000 miles before summer. Absolutely flawless, all I've done as far as maintenance goes is a few oil changes and a new set of tires.

I really like my Focus too, and I'm self conscious about getting dogpiled for it. Mine is part of the year that had warranty on the transmission extended to 7 years / 100k miles, which seems appropriate. If the trans dies past 100k miles, I can live with that.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Having zero credit is almost next to impossible to talk to someone about a car. I got laughed out of one place and a weird awkward smile at a Kia dealership that might be a bit out of my league. So I think I am hosed!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not really qualified to give you advice so please take this more as encouragement; I was in your position and all it took was a 1 k loan from my credit agency, opening a credit line there, and getting a credit card I only use for gas and groceries (and that I pay in full like every week). A year of that and I had all the credit I need and bought a motorcycle with no money down.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not really qualified to give you advice so please take this more as encouragement; I was in your position and all it took was a 1 k loan from my credit agency, opening a credit line there, and getting a credit card I only use for gas and groceries (and that I pay in full like every week). A year of that and I had all the credit I need and bought a motorcycle with no money down.

Well there is some good news about me and some bad news. But I think a bit of backstory is in order: I was driving a 95 Buick Century, not really sure about what kinda engine but all I know is that it lasted me long enough until I found out today that it's 100% junk as it has a blown headgasket. Took care of it for 10 years and that is what finally gave it in.

Tune into today and I went to multiple dealerships to see about what kinda deal I could get and the only one that wasn't terrible was at Kia. But even still there was almost no way I could drive off with a car on there.

A mechanic that is well known in my area also knows me pretty well and gave me the bad news on my car, and he offered me a truck he wants to sell for two grand that I am free to come and take a look at it. Im not sure on the make or model but he did tell me he had personally worked on it and it runs good besides it vibrates a bit as it drives (My buick did the same but eh whatever). He could be blowing smoke up my rear end but buying that truck right now is a lot better than me not driving at all. So honestly it's my only way out.

And I think once I get this paid off and I get done with college work I can work on a credit. We will see. Guess im not as hosed as I thought I was.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Katamari Democracy posted:

Well there is some good news about me and some bad news. But I think a bit of backstory is in order: I was driving a 95 Buick Century, not really sure about what kinda engine but all I know is that it lasted me long enough until I found out today that it's 100% junk as it has a blown headgasket. Took care of it for 10 years and that is what finally gave it in.

Tune into today and I went to multiple dealerships to see about what kinda deal I could get and the only one that wasn't terrible was at Kia. But even still there was almost no way I could drive off with a car on there.

A mechanic that is well known in my area also knows me pretty well and gave me the bad news on my car, and he offered me a truck he wants to sell for two grand that I am free to come and take a look at it. Im not sure on the make or model but he did tell me he had personally worked on it and it runs good besides it vibrates a bit as it drives (My buick did the same but eh whatever). He could be blowing smoke up my rear end but buying that truck right now is a lot better than me not driving at all. So honestly it's my only way out.

And I think once I get this paid off and I get done with college work I can work on a credit. We will see. Guess im not as hosed as I thought I was.

For your financial future you're going to be far better off buying the 2 grand truck (assuming it's not a scam thats going to fall apart tomorrow) then financing a new car.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Thermopyle posted:

For your financial future you're going to be far better off buying the 2 grand truck (assuming it's not a scam thats going to fall apart tomorrow) then financing a new car.

That is what I really wanted to find. A cheap vehicle and a tool to just get to A to B. I lucked out when the mechanic wanted to give me a deal on that truck. Might not look pretty and it vibrates, but its better than no car.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Katamari Democracy posted:

That is what I really wanted to find. A cheap vehicle and a tool to just get to A to B. I lucked out when the mechanic wanted to give me a deal on that truck. Might not look pretty and it vibrates, but its better than no car.

If he's one of the guys that fixes up trashed cars people bring him in his spare time those are often pretty decent, but not always (and let me guess, he wants to keep your crapheap?). That being said, you really ought to try to build credit, even if it's just putting Netflix on a credit card every month and immediately paying it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I also dont know how much Id trust a mechanic who doesnt know why the vehicle vibrates.