Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Almost as if we need to....Get Over It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wow I love that I boot up Chapter 8 feeling good that I beat the game, and then am instantly reduced to an idiot cause I can't figure out what the heck to do.

I love it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did it all (minus the Golden Strawberries there's no way I can do all of them. I've only done 1A and 2A deathless). Good lord those were some tough levels.

And I did the whole game on Joycon split button d-pad. Eat it actual d-pad-havers!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I like this game. Some real good platforming in there. It's really well done on the Switch, too - perfect for playing on the train. I can hear excellent tunes and bash my head against B side levels on the go, it's great.

Not a fan of the pixelated look, tho. It's great for the platforming sections when it's relatively zoomed out (so, 99.99% of the game), but it's kinda hurting my eyes during cutscenes...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

I like this game. Some real good platforming in there. It's really well done on the Switch, too - perfect for playing on the train. I can hear excellent tunes and bash my head against B side levels on the go, it's great.

Not a fan of the pixelated look, tho. It's great for the platforming sections when it's relatively zoomed out (so, 99.99% of the game), but it's kinda hurting my eyes during cutscenes...

I like the look but the loading "running madeline" animation makes me wish the entire game looked like that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Yes, I know I am Bad at Video Games. I mean, I'm at something over 850 deaths, and I just made it to 4.

Still, I'm kind of proud of this.

https://twitter.com/rdominick/status/959838444548603904

Got through the rest of 3 with only a dozen more deaths or so.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 3, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Stage 4's Blue heart. :allears: I wasn't sure if it really was what I was thinking of, and sure enough, it was.

Something I noticed was that collecting multiple strawberries at once gives you more points. Does that actually do anything?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 3, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Stage 4's Blue heart. :allears: I wasn't sure if it really was what I was thinking of, and sure enough, it was.

Something I noticed was that collecting multiple strawberries at once gives you more points. Does that actually do anything?

The amount of points you get goes UP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I reached a point on one A where I'm not sure how to possibly proceed without dashing. It's the screen that's a checkpoint there's a wall with a long row of spikes I can't get over with a crystal in a gap past it.

I can jump a little farther by wall jumping directly up right before jumping but it isn't enough

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I reached a point on one A where I'm not sure how to possibly proceed without dashing. It's the screen that's a checkpoint there's a wall with a long row of spikes I can't get over with a crystal in a gap past it.

I can jump a little farther by wall jumping directly up right before jumping but it isn't enough

most likely you'll have to abuse the slightly faulty hit detection on spikes. the exact corners of blocks covered in spikes can be walljumped off of if your timing is perfect.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Halfway through the C-sides... I'm doing it!!!!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
good luck with 7C lmfao!!!!!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I can't even do the bsides. I suck at them. I finished 1-B but stuck in 2B and 3B.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm stuck already on 1-B, not to mention Chapter 8

this dang part where you need to get the platform with a spring to the other side of the spike hill then spring through it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Venuz Patrol posted:

good luck with 7C lmfao!!!!!

I spent 45 minutes on the final room alone...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

300 deaths on 6B
gently caress

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Be proud of your death count

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jesus, 380 on 7B.
This game seriously stopped messing around.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Augus posted:

Jesus, 380 on 7B.

Matt believes all of us can be trained into platformer gods by his game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Augus posted:

Jesus, 380 on 7B.
Scrub, I have over a thousand on 7A all strawberries. :smuggo:

...this is going to suck, isn't it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Jesus, 380 on 7B.

That's a really low number

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I can't even do the bsides. I suck at them. I finished 1-B but stuck in 2B and 3B.

I feel everyone has different things they're good at. I just finished 2B and thought it wasn't as dificult as 1B. Up next for me: 3B!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I just finished 7b and had 800 something. Platform 2 and 3 were murder. Felt really smart when I figured out 3, but then I had to do the same truck so many times in a row on 2 I must have lost hundreds of lives on that one screen

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the last room of 2B, despite giving me zero deaths, is by far my most hated room in the game.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That's a really low number

Yeah jesus, I think I cracked 1000 on 7B. I do tend to just go for brute forcing/jumping right into it again as fast as I can instead of thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing. Plus, it took me embarrassingly long to figure out the super wall jump dash thing at the beginning.

Finally finished all the C-sides today. I think 7C definitely takes the prize for hardest room but drat if you don't feel good when you finish.

I also learned, in 8C, that you can grab the yellow heart and STILL FALL TO YOUR DEATH, which promptly put me back at the start of the room, no credit for the heart. Luckily I did it again a few attempts later... thank god.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

alf_pogs posted:

the last room of 2B, despite giving me zero deaths, is by far my most hated room in the game.
You don't have to walljump, you can get enough vertical speed to reach the top just by climbing. I was pissed when I found that out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I know exactly where it was too, and how to get to it. It's right near the very end before the special sequence, there's a door that locks behind you after you enter so you can't go back. I didn't see the tunnel I had to dash up into until it appeared on the side two screens later.

There is no worse pain than this :negative:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Oh man, the Chapter 2 blue heart is fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What a phenomenal game.

The final tally for my initial playthrough. I ended up with only one blue heart, no red hearts. Found 3 of the B-side tapes. Time to go back and find everything else!

edit: And man, the 20 bucks I paid for this makes me feel like I got away with a goddamn robbery. It's worth at least that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 4, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

What a fantastic game. Doing all the optional stuff now, and 1-B is kicking my butt. It's a blast though. Looking forward to the rest of the B-sides.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I had 1300 deaths on 3B. Is it just me or is that one inordinately hard?

Also, I'm way better at this game while drinking since I zone the gently caress in and don't tense up as much.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 4, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

What is a C-Side? I haven't beat the level 6 yet, so if it's an end of the game thing then ignore me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Fun game. There's a long vertical room in 1-B with several moving blocks and tiny disappearing platforms that I have 50 deaths in alone so far.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I had 1300 deaths on 3B. Is it just me or is that one inordinately hard?

Also, I'm way better at this game while drinking since I zone the gently caress in and don't tense up as much.

3 is the resort, right? I felt it was okay. For me the one after that was a bitch and a half. I'm not good at things that change how your character controls. It feels like I'm fighting my controller(ds4) more than the game. I think it cost me over 450 deaths to clear. Also playing at 1 AM might not be the best idea.

Genuinely Looking forward to 5B, about to head in!

E: oof. That wasn't easy. But it was a cool style of dificulty. Tougher than 4B, but had less deaths... if that makes sense.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 4, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What is a C-Side? I haven't beat the level 6 yet, so if it's an end of the game thing then ignore me.

When you beat all the regular levels, and then all the B-sides you unlock C-sides for every level that are even harder. The one mercy is that at least they are short.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was the strawberry for dashless 1-A actually a thing? I don't see how to get past like the second room with the spring without a dash, it doesn't give you enough height for the spike floor you have to cross without dashing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's really a thing and requires a pixel-perfect jump off the left edge of the spiked platform

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I wonder if you can get it immediately from the beginning, or if you need to unlock the ability to gain them first.

Because I could try right now but only if there actually is a strawberry at the end because seriously.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, I didn't actually pull it off, but did verify it in an assist mode file. It was the first strawberry gotten on that file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

WELP. Looks like I'm doing this. :v:

edit: the second room was alright once you know how to get yourself that little extra height. I currently trying to figure out this room from the OP:

Actually now that I am looking at that gif, the current version in game is different. There's an extra ledge in the top left corner. Could be a coincidence, but it would allow you to get higher.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 4, 2018