Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Just had my first game with an empire in the galaxy that had the "Deviant" trait. Results were hilarious - they went from materialistic erudite explorers to various flavors of dictatorial militant assholes to democratic crusaders throughout the course of the game. I think I'm gonna force a deviant empire to spawn in pretty much all my games now, it's a great floor show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GotLag posted:

Right now they're a one trick pony. I think they'd be a lot more interesting if they had at least some flexibility.

Welcome to robot empires?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The event that's supposed to backfill precursor anomalies is super busted. I had it fire twice and not create one either time. The feature it mentioned had a station on it, which makes me think anoms can't spawn on mined features. Deleting the station didn't help either. If it happens again I'll try disbanding the station before clicking OK to see if that works, but it's super frustrating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Orv posted:

I destroyed a frontier outpost that was a war goal and lost a bunch of war score for it? Not to mention I apparently lost that battle according to the game. Any ideas?

E: And then the empire I was at war with that was Equivalent to me when the war started showed up with a 1.9K fleet when I haven't even seen destroyer tech yet and thank you for the reminder to not play on Ironman, Paradox games. Would still like to know what's going on there though.

I've had the exact same thing happen. It's especially jarring since I had removing that outpost as one of my wargoals.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My assumption is that the ship losses are somehow registering as more influential to war score than the destruction of the station, or it's otherwise a weird edge case bug. Basically just bring on 2.0. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shadowlyger posted:

Welcome to robot empires?

That's uh, my point.

Edit: Jesus Christ you're a man with many opinions, all of them wrong

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 4, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GotLag posted:

I made a terrible post on the Paradox forums about how to improve Rogue Servitors. Thoughts?
Authoritarian/Egalitarian servitors just muddle and complicate the purposefully ambiguous and abstracted nature of bio-trophy-hood. You can already roleplay it that your robots are actually listening to the input of their organics when making decisions... or that they're kept in semi-conscious drug bliss. Either way wouldn't change the gameplay and that's fine. Reintroducing factions and all that just sounds like a mess for not much gain.

I'm kind of interested in xenophobe servitors, as that meaningfully changes gameplay, though diplomatically it would make them yet another flavor or repugnant monster. It looks like the mods already exist for you to play like this, but it would be nice if xenophobic servitors could appear as rival empires. They'd make for an interesting villain to conquer.

More aggressive AI servitors seems like a simple, decent idea. I think one could mod that fairly easily. Make it 50/50 between "nice" servitors are they are now and "aggressive" servitors that have more of a drive to forcefully acquire more biotrophies. Or you could weigh it by civics or starting traits- make it so they're nice by default unless they have specific military bonuses to trigger the zealous variety.

Xenophobe flavor and more aggressive AI option would probably make for a nice little mod, but honestly these ideas seem to fiddly and specific for the base game. Rogue Servitors are great as they are.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm sensing some negativity here:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I kinda really don't want to see the Collectivist/Individualist debate wars restart again, only this time with roibots, which I'd bet would happen if any kind of ideology was introduced to machines or hive minds. Leave them be! They're too pure for such nonsense.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

GotLag posted:

Right now they're a one trick pony. I think they'd be a lot more interesting if they had at least some flexibility.

The way I see it flexibility in this game is about having many different options on types of empires to play, but not necessarily having lots of different ways to play that specific option. Rogue servitors, hive minds and exterminators are for me interesting because they have a very predetermined way of how they are played that is very different from the normal empires. I do get where you are coming from though, and having at least some kind of machine empire that could have some free moving biologic pops moving around would be fun.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Can you play a machine empire without picking one of the three types, or is that not a thing?

GotLag posted:

That's uh, my point.

Likewise, my point is that robot empires are supposed to be one trick ponies. You play robots so that you don't have to deal with government ethics and factions and all that crap.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadowlyger posted:

Can you play a machine empire without picking one of the three types, or is that not a thing?

You can play a generic Machine Empire yes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can play a generic Machine Empire yes.

Would that cover the "free-moving biological pops" thing or nah? Like how is that in comparison to one of the major civics? Haven't played that way before.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Likewise, my point is that robot empires are supposed to be one trick ponies. You play robots so that you don't have to deal with government ethics and factions and all that crap.

You can, but no biologic pops can live on your empire if you do. Just like a hive mind, they are either displaced or broken down for food (energy in this case)

ProZocK fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 4, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ProZocK posted:

You can, but no biologic pops can live on your empire if you do. Just like a hive mind, they are either displaced or broken down for food (energy in this case)

Ah, okay. Figured that might be the one that let you just roll with ordinary organics.

... although, in that case, how is generic robot empire different from exterminators?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GotLag posted:

I made a terrible post on the Paradox forums about how to improve Rogue Servitors. Thoughts?

I've long felt that gestalt consciousnesses would be a little more interesting if the gestalt ethic only cost two points and they were allowed to put one point in any standard ethos to define, at least a little, some uniqueness in their gameplay and interactions with other empires. As it is any hive mind or any non-niche machine empire is functionally identical, they play the same way if you're playing them, they act the same way if you're interacting with them. I think that applies to rogue servitors too, albeit to a lesser extent since they're already distinct from a regular machine empire.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

GotLag posted:

There is nothing about this that I don't like.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Trivia posted:

There is nothing about this that I don't like.

I don't like that he couldn't muster the rage for two more "Die."s so its a nice even block of hate.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GotLag posted:

Well, have you tried doing what it says?

I think you're being very culturally insensitive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't like that he couldn't muster the rage for two more "Die."s so its a nice even block of hate.

That's a deliberate microaggression.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

GotLag posted:

I think he really loves the color of your clothes and his speech pattern and your translation matrix has misinterpreted 'Dye' and translated it into 'Die'. So he just wants colors!

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
It's german for "the the the the..."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

Well, if anything he is very determined.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Are there any mod packs that add cool race images? All the ones I see are bullshit anime ones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a ton of cool anime ones

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Or it's dutch for 'this one. this one. this one.'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

It's german for "the the the the..."

No robot who speaks German could be a bad person!

All the races by Silphae are hella good.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Ah, okay. Figured that might be the one that let you just roll with ordinary organics.

... although, in that case, how is generic robot empire different from exterminators?

You can have good relations with your neighbours (unless they are spiritual) and since you have the choice to displace pops instead of being locked into killing them you can actually conquer dudes and not get the entire galaxy on your neck. Also you can use the enclaves normaly. My favourite robot empire are my pretty chill research bots that just want to live and let live.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

GotLag posted:

It's Amroconish for "The The The". oh goddamnit someone beat me to it and did it better

Question: This mod changes up spiral galaxy generation so that stars are clustered together a lot more near the center of the galaxy. Anyone know of a mod that does something similar for elliptical galaxies? Steam Workshop's search function is godawful.

Ready! Set! Blow! fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 4, 2018

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

They're being (probably accidentally) misleading. Like with Hive Minds, outsiders can't be integrated directly. That's what Assimilators are for. You CAN keep them as slaves. Where a Hive Mind would keep them as livestock, Robots use them to generate energy, IIRC 6E/ pop. So a planet with primitives are a nice boon, and unlike with Exterminators it doesn't run out eventually.

Also, generic robots are as capable of diplomacy as Servitors are, so you can have vassals, tributaries and/or federation members.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

It's Amroconish for "The The The". oh goddamnit someone beat me to it and did it better

Question: This mod changes up spiral galaxy generation so that stars are clustered together a lot more near the center of the galaxy. Anyone know of a mod that does something similar for elliptical galaxies? Steam Workshop's search function is godawful.

The search function is actually pretty good, but you can't use 90% of the filters unless you go to browse most popular/subscribed and then do your search. Because reasons.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

No robot who speaks German could be a bad person!

All the races by Silphae are hella good.

Thanks for this, next game is SPACE SHARKS!!!

Question: What happens if you vassalize one of your planets as a rogue servitor? I was about to do it, but it looked like my bio-trophy would be in charge?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They're a civilisation of that species, but I don't know how it works out the ethos. It might even be random, I tried save-scumming to see what I got once and there wasn't much of a pattern to the results. Everything from spiritualist despots to erudite explorers from the same pops.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Primary Objective Achieved.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I think I may have just run into a bug. I conquered this one planet, but when I took it over, it was completely uncolonized. I occupied it, so I don't think it was just a partial colony that got blasted off the surface. It had the "land appropriated" modifier, so I kinda think that was it. Some dudes got over-enthusiastic about taking xenos off their land and wound up removing all of them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ConfusedUs posted:

:golfclap:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I gave up on trying to make fanatical purifiers work and went in the total opposite direction with a charismatic friendly race that everyone loves, only to find that my direct neighbor is a fanatical purifier, and a little ways away is my exact same fanatic purifier civ I'd been failing to succeed as. The galaxy also had atrocious generation that left me with nearly no expansion options outside of the guaranteed couple close ones, so I got absolutely creamed by them early on and had to watch as they exterminated my people.

But! Since all the non-purifiers found my scraggly snake people unreasonably alluring, I was able to bring allies together to barely defeat my conquerors just before they wiped out my pops entirely! ...except I forgot to set wargoals early enough so they were set to 'nothing' and my people still died holy moly I wish that when that timer expired the game would ask "are you SURE you want nothing whatsoever?" and give you one last chance because boy that's just the worst.

They were still beaten in the end, though, and I came back from the brink to being the head of a federation of half the galaxy, so in the end I'm pretty happy. It ended on a sour note with an ascended empire that was essentially impossible to defeat because my most powerful allies would not obey my "follow this fleet" command. Wish there was a button for "follow this fleet, for real, stop futilely trying to take your planets back and go here because even with everyone combined we'd still be under their fleet strength and we really need a fortress to stand a chance, but because of your nonsense the enemy is completely at a standstill and isn't moving into my territory even though every wargoal is taking my poo poo". I could maybe try and build enough of a fleet to take them on but boy I'm sick of trying my hardest to fight and getting completely and utterly obliterated so I think I really need to abstain until Cherryh makes war less exhausting.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Those planet names...

Did you name the fleets?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It seems that machine empires can't get Sapient Combat Computers, except by salvaging wrecks of empires that have them, because machine empires can't research Positronic AI, and there's no alternative pre-requisite.

This feels like an oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wiz please give all machine and synthetic empires a +2.4% modifer to resource caps.

• Locked thread