Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I see thanks for the responses.

As hearsay, I remember whenever I visited my grandma in Puerto Rico, morning TV was always either Dragonball Z or Slam Dunk.

Not sure how much Puerto Rico counts since it's an American territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

30 YO Argengoon here. Sit down because it is time for a history lesson: While anime aired in public TV in Argentina from the 80's to the 90's (Robotech, Mazinger Z, Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya being the standouts of the era) it didn't explode in popularity until a children's entertainment cable channel (Magic Kids) started airing the original Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2. Of these, Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2 cut all the shots with genitals in them (which, if you know these shows, particularly Ranma, means episodes had entire scenes missing sometimes). They did not censorship excessive violence, though.

Magic was infamous for two things regarding anime: Their censorship practices (most of which were their own handiwork, save exceptional circumstances like the Sailor Moon dub changing some of the homosexual men to being women) and the absolute lack of care with which they handled reruns. They'd air episode 1 of a show's second season and, the next day, they'd be starting over from episode 1 of season 1 and you'd never know if they'd continue where the story left off when they caught up or if they'd do another reset again. One note of color about the channel was that they picked up some episodes of South Park once (without watching them first) and had to shelve them unaired because they realized they'd have episodes 5 minutes long. :v:

Still, the channel was huge, it had a little bit of everything. It even aired shows that would later be picked up by Cartoon Network and Fox Kids (Pokemon was like 2 years old by the time it started to air in CN, for example). It was a trend-setter for what was popular with kids for like a decade. I remember that new Magic-branded toys came out nearly every year and for months you'd have kids showing their sick Magic Yo-Yo skills at school. I feel old now.

Anime didn't start airing uncensored in Argentina until the Locomotion channel appeared, with shows like Evangelion and South Park. It even aired some shows with subtitles instead of dubs! It was branded as a channel for adults and only viewable at night or early in the mornings. I remember petitioning my Cable provider to make the channel accessible the rest of the day. A few years after that, anime was picked up by CN and Fox Kids and all three channels fought each other over which one had the juiciest exclusives. Magic eventually died not long after the economic crisis of the 00's and everybody forgot it existed.

As for anime having a stigma? It depends. I remember everybody being over anime by high school except for the nerds who then were into heavier poo poo like Evangelion or Hellsing. Every now and then I run into someone listening to one of the Dragon Ball openings in Japanese or something like that, but it is pretty rare. It is probably much more popular with the geeky circles than stuff like, say, comics or american movies, but still not anywhere near mainstream.

edit: gently caress, new page. Uhhhh so how about that Hiatus x Hiatus, fellas? I like the character of Kurapica but I am glad that we got to see Hanzo doing things.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 3, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Wow such an informative post! Thanks! It kind makes me want to describe the American millennial anime experience but idk if you guys are bored of the sorta off-topic already.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't believe Hanzo is dying so soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

As for anime having a stigma? It depends. I remember everybody being over anime by high school except for the nerds who then were into heavier poo poo like Evangelion or Hellsing. Every now and then I run into someone listening to one of the Dragon Ball openings in Japanese or something like that, but it is pretty rare. It is probably much more popular with the geeky circles than stuff like, say, comics or american movies, but still not anywhere near mainstream.

While most of your post is true (I didn't even remember the genital censorship, wow. I guess my memory's failing me and I'm younger than you) I have to disagree with this one. Most people I know are very much into anime, and I don't think I know a single person that can say something bad about Dragon Ball, it's the kind of thing that trascends groups and becomes part of the culture. If anything, anime's becoming more and more mainstream with time, seeing how we're getting more anime movies in the cinemas now (we're getting Heaven's Feel soon, for instance, and we had The Last: Naruto the Movie, Koe no Katachi, and who knows how many more as well).

Also you reminded me of the Magic Yo-Yo and I now miss that thing. It was so good.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not even an argument, there's no doubt Saint Seiya hit its popularity peak with us (adding from Argentina here). It's by no means unpopular in Japan either, of course, but it's a cultural icon in this continent.

Which is kind of weird because, in hindsight, it's not that great. It had one amazing arc (two in the anime because Asgard is what all filler should strive to be) followed by absolute mediocrity and the canon prequel/sequel is complete poo poo and far surpassed by a non-canon prequel that's far better in every way than the original work (The Lost Canvas, give me Shiori Teshimine all the time).

Broooooooo. Peruvian here, tried to rewatch Saint Seiya... and the anime is poo poo. Manga is ok I guess but YYH is miles ahead of it. Speaking of Latin American hits, how about CAPTAIN TSUBASA, LOS SUPERCAMPEONES!

Nostalgia aside, I'm so happy that I'm back to reading HxH, all is good.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
hanzo is gonna survive by the skin of his teeth when camille kills the other prince

where the hell did bisky go though @_@

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

While these replies are good and informative, I meant a stigma more as in "lol you watch cartoons? This for kids." :smuggo:

No, not really, as long as the cartoon is good then it's fine. But if it's something like, dunno, Queen's Blade, you'll be mocked mercilessly and probably earn a well-deserved nickname.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Wark Say posted:

That would be one heckuva reveal.

Well, I thought the assumption was always that she was a high tier nen user (Chrollo tier, maybe Hisoka or at worst Morel) and so ruled with an iron fist her part of the family, just that she was dismissed by Benjamin as she doesn't fit his own stereotype of what a powerful person would look like.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arkeus posted:

Well, I thought the assumption was always that she was a high tier nen user (Chrollo tier, maybe Hisoka or at worst Morel) and so ruled with an iron fist her part of the family, just that she was dismissed by Benjamin as she doesn't fit his own stereotype of what a powerful person would look like.

where on earth did you get that idea?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

where on earth did you get that idea?

The way she talks, the way she is actually taken very, very seriously by her mother (who iirc has multiple children in the line of succession), and the way her father seemed to take her seriously (iirc?).

Basically, it always seemed like the rest of her brothers dismissing her was basically the result of them not knowing Nen or simply having bias.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arkeus posted:

The way she talks, the way she is actually taken very, very seriously by her mother (who iirc has multiple children in the line of succession), and the way her father seemed to take her seriously (iirc?).

Basically, it always seemed like the rest of her brothers dismissing her was basically the result of them not knowing Nen or simply having bias.

she's a psychotic narcissist, she controls her mother, and her father hasn't dismissed any of his children. plus, the sibling who hates her the most is the only one who is confirmed to have nen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

she's a psychotic narcissist, she controls her mother, and her father hasn't dismissed any of his children. plus, the sibling who hates her the most is the only one who is confirmed to have nen.

Though I should note that she and her team were completely uninterested in learning what the deal is with Nen. And Kurapika said it's likely because she and or members of her bodyguard are aware of it already. Given her confidence I would assume she also knows.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I honestly never got the impression that Prince Cammy was the nen user in her group. Seems like she's the overly self confident type and used to having people do things for her as well as being more than a little unhinged given her conversation with her father. She at least believes that the other princes should opt to kill themselves for her and her statements towards Owlman are also on that "die for me" kind of reasoning.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda want Togashi to pull a Togashi and merc Prince Third Reich with one of the random-rear end princes just because. Build this guy up as this prodigy, super-cruel motherfucker with the scariest Stand and then he gets shot in the loving face.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Benjamin's situation is weird in that he's the most conventionally threatening of the princes, and therefore liable to get punked early...which makes me suspect that's not what's going to happen.

It's shounen standard to kill off the obviously intimidating guy first, which means it's always ripe for subversion, and Togashi's shown he's not afraid of skirting convention. At the same time, Momoze was the safest prince to kill off since we already knew her ability, so you don't have people griping about lost opportunities ("She didn't even get to do anything!"), so really it's anyone's game.

I hope the prince bowl continues to surprise us.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

I kinda want Togashi to pull a Togashi and merc Prince Third Reich with one of the random-rear end princes just because. Build this guy up as this prodigy, super-cruel motherfucker with the scariest Stand and then he gets shot in the loving face.
Isn't Tserriednich the fourth prince?

I'm thinking that Kurapika is never actually coming to blows and that he indeed gets punked out by somebody else. Probably as an afterthought. Right now, though, my biggest concern is Bisque and Hanzo. :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Tserriednich the fourth prince?

I'm thinking that Kurapika is never actually coming to blows and that he indeed gets punked out by somebody else. Probably as an afterthought. Right now, though, my biggest concern is Bisque and Hanzo. :ohdear:

I think "Third Reich" is calling him a Nazi, not saying he's the third prince.

And yeah, that's my biggest concern too. I think the most likely explanation is Marayam's Nen beast doing something. And/or something happened that forced Biscuit to flee with Hanzo's body, though what, well... There's a lot of possibilities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

And yeah, that's my biggest concern too. I think the most likely explanation is Marayam's Nen beast doing something. And/or something happened that forced Biscuit to flee with Hanzo's body, though what, well... There's a lot of possibilities.

biscuit taking his body and running should have broken the clone thing. heck, anything happening to his real body should have done that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

biscuit taking his body and running should have broken the clone thing. heck, anything happening to his real body should have done that.

Oh, right, forgot about that. I need to reread these chapters, there's so much going on I forget some details.

Yeah, that makes things even weirder then.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Roland Jones posted:

maybe the nen beast has an ability like knovs which creates space and has made a decoy room. Or Hanzos body was destroyed without anyone touching it, so his technique was not dispelled but he has no body to return to

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

maybe the nen beast has an ability like knovs which creates space and has made a decoy room. Or Hanzos body was destroyed without anyone touching it, so his technique was not dispelled but he has no body to return to

i don't think that is likely, but hanzo the living nen curse sounds badass.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Third Reich is more me not remembering what that dude's name was other than it sounded German, started with a T, had an R in the middle and he was hosed up. Regardless, I'm expecting either him or Benjamin to get punked before the final four (if it comes down to that, really).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tserriednich is Russian I'm pretty sure.

I mean, if it's anything.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Dias posted:

Third Reich is more me not remembering what that dude's name was other than it sounded German, started with a T, had an R in the middle and he was hosed up. Regardless, I'm expecting either him or Benjamin to get punked before the final four (if it comes down to that, really).
Ah, okey-doke. :)

Benjamin is a bit too reckless/hot-blooded, but seems to have enough of a good head on his shoulders to listen to his squad, so I'm guessing that he might survive to the end if he actually listens to his squad / sergeant (Balsamick, I think?)

The Tserriednich name is easy to remember to me because 2 of my best friends are Polish and I constantly made a fool of myself trying to say their full names. :cheeky:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

Tserriednich is Russian I'm pretty sure.

I mean, if it's anything.

You're not wrong. I'll still never get it right without googling it first.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I was thinking a safe room in nen-space as well.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I want Benjamin to win because all the other likely candidates are either crazy, murderous, criminally connected or all of the above. A benevolent, if militaristic monarchy is preferable to that

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Benji has already been proven to be more humble, smart and receptive than hitler/stalin for example

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tserriednich's role will be to kill Kurapica after Kurapica help Hisoka kill the Spiders.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
tserriednich's role is to become the new spider leader after chrollo and hisoka die

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

drjuggalo posted:

tserriednich's role is to become the new spider leader after chrollo and hisoka die
Hisoka would probably look at Tserriednich and say "Heh, look at this little prince who thinks he's hot stuff :love:"

"It'd be a shame if... you were to fight against me. :s:"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

I want Benjamin to win because all the other likely candidates are either crazy, murderous, criminally connected or all of the above. A benevolent, if militaristic monarchy is preferable to that

Halkenburg seems fine as does Tubeppa (Though less so then Halkenburg.)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Harkenburg winning is a long shot. Same with tubeppa, and xhe is basically a cookie cutter monarch anyway.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wild Horses posted:

Harky is a good boy and the complete opposite of Trump despite the jokes in the fandom.

But he's in way over his head.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I can't wait to find out how hopeless Halkenburg's beast ability is. I'm expecting something like "when a marked individual is injured the prince receives the injury instead".

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

No Wave posted:

I can't wait to find out how hopeless Halkenburg's beast ability is. I'm expecting something like "when a marked individual is injured the prince receives the injury instead".

This chapter seemed to infer that him and his men are considered equal by his nen beast, so if we’re going by that suggestion it’d probably mean everyone would get hurt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, the implication is that he doesn't see himself as above his men, which is very inspirational and all but also incredibly dangerous.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

I don't think Benjamin's gonna win, I just don't want him to job.

The big guy always jobs. I wanna see Benjamin remain a threat for the whole arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I'm expecting Thayton's (sp?) beast to allow her to give orders to her "subjects" that they will always follow happily, like one of the Manipulator types Kurapika mentioned.

As for Halkenburg, I'd kinda like it if his beast's only purpose was to activate his guards' nen nodes.