Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

As far as the colors of the suits go, I'm a protanope so I can't meaningfully distinguish something like 99% of colors. Black, white, red and blue are about as safe as I could choose so that both me and my tritanopic sister-in-law could play. For honest-to-god Monochromats? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've already done a bit of number crunching looking at the various ways to roll the dice in special ways and have a pretty good idea of what they do to the average expected value. 3d6 exploding is roughly equivalent to a 4d6 drop lowest 1 and both are a bit over half as much a bonus as an increase to 4d6 or equal to a straight +2 bonus. Other things like rerolling ones have very similar probability distributions when limited to one size die.

However they've got very different feels because of their differing variance and I really want to exploit that to give different characters different feels. I'm thinking that an agile roguish type is going to gravitate towards the high variance exploding dice while a tough defender is going to go for the sure numbers from straight numeric bonuses.

Writing this all out, I think that it works much better if I reroll ones instead of dropping the lowest dice. That reduces the cognitive load to looking for red 6s and blue 1s rather than looking for red 6s and finding the biggest blue dice. That was really the thing that was worrying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Xiahou Dun posted:

It could be cool but you'd have to really, really check the math.

Also hi I'm colorblind (along with roughly 5% of the population, more since gamers skew male for dumb reasons), so color might not be the best choice. Maybe pick something else to be the "suits" for your dice? Or at least not include common problems like red vs green or blue vs purple or orange vs gently caress orange I hate you.

(I hate Hanabi so much.)

gently caress orange is my favorite color

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

1337JiveTurkey posted:

As far as the colors of the suits go, I'm a protanope so I can't meaningfully distinguish something like 99% of colors. Black, white, red and blue are about as safe as I could choose so that both me and my tritanopic sister-in-law could play. For honest-to-god Monochromats? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I had half an effortpost typed up explaining the different kinds of colour blindness and how you'd be limited to maybe four colours max, glad I hit preview! :v:

You could squeeze out a fifth die type by making the unupgradeable die into another die size. So Mighty Strength gets you a d12 or maybe 2d8s, leaving you three kinds of d6s to upgrade to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

It personally doesn't appeal to me, but eh, the basic idea is probably workable.

I will call this out, though, as a bad place to come from:

"Maybe the core resolution mechanic of my game is unfun, but at least that's solved by people not wanting to actually use it that much."

If players don't want to use the resolution system, maybe it's bad. It definitely reads as more fiddly than necessary. Imo, it's probably simpler to give each die trick an "effect level" with players not allowed to exceed some amount of effect levels per roll. None of this die color stuff that seems fine for a board game, but is probably too fiddly for a TTRPG

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Thanks for the help!

To give a little more context, this is sort of aiming at being somewhere between a dungeon crawler boardgame and an RPG with a single resolution mechanic. I wanted something that's flexible but at the same time has a distinctly gamey feel and limits the amount of fishing for bonuses. It might make more sense to limit things to one big bonus and one small bonus replacing 2d6 and 1d6 of the roll respectively.

I might go into more detail later but things are definitely starting to come together now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xelkelvos posted:

None of this die color stuff that seems fine for a board game, but is probably too fiddly for a TTRPG
I will fight you IRL.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Writing this all out, I think that it works much better if I reroll ones instead of dropping the lowest dice. That reduces the cognitive load to looking for red 6s and blue 1s rather than looking for red 6s and finding the biggest blue dice. That was really the thing that was worrying me.
Yeah, that makes sense. It also prevents e.g. someone mistakenly thinking that the "drop lowest" applies to all the dice in a blue dice roll, as opposed to just the blue ones. Or weird corner cases where you get two blue-drop-lowest piles from different sources, do you drop two or just one etc.

On that note, you could maybe allow buying of black dice for benefits across the dice. Like spend 1 white die to get three black die and you also get to drop the lowest total roll.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 3, 2018

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Splicer posted:

On that note, you could maybe allow buying of black dice for benefits across the dice. Like spend 1 white die to get three black die and you also get to drop the lowest total roll.

That's definitely something I'm considering where different sources of conversions have different effects, with some conversions being per-encounter or per-day abilities. So they might have a Kaboom! ability which once per day trades 3 white dice for 1 black per level and targets a 20' radius sphere or something.

I like the idea of all the black dice conversions also having side effects in general although I'm trying to come up with a good limited power side effect for a base conversion.

One thing I didn't mention was that some of these conversions are based on what I call a sort of undeath to ability scores system. Instead of ability scores, characters have two prime abilities, one offensive and one defensive. Offensive ability scores are Strength, Intelligence and Charisma, while defensive ability scores are Toughness, Agility and Wisdom. It's like some deranged bouliabasse of ability scores and alignment. So far I've got something like:
  • Strength—Convert two white to three red on strength and general smashing type rolls. (Strong wizards are blasty wizards)
  • Intelligence—Convert two white to three blue on smart, subtle and technical type rolls.
  • Charisma—Convert two white to three black on social rolls and rolls supporting other party members. This needs some additional benefit I think.
  • Toughness—Convert two white to three blue on defensive rolls and situations requiring endurance or long concentration.
  • Agility—Convert two white to three red on defensive rolls and situations requiring quick acting or quick thinking.
  • Wisdom—Convert two white to three black on defensive rolls and situations involving perceptiveness, noticing deception and assisting the defense of party members. Again feels slightly incomplete.

Skills and other abilities would offer more efficient conversions, possibly with prerequisites.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I forget - is Jeff Rients good grog or bad grog? He's doing a thing at our public library.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I forget - is Jeff Rients good grog or bad grog? He's doing a thing at our public library.

Good writer, iffy friends. Wrote a great, useful LotFP adventure to give you an idea what’s up.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Jeff Rients is friends with/licks the boots of the OSR community's stalker weirdos. Last year, when GMS got sick of Zak's poo poo and posted screenshots of the private G+ group he uses to send his mates after people, Jeff was unironically telling the people that group was targeting that they shouldn't say anything in public because it's "inviting more of the same". Besides being a victim-blaming moral child he seems pretty okay though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Jeff Rients is friends with/licks the boots of the OSR community's stalker weirdos. Last year, when GMS got sick of Zak's poo poo and posted screenshots of the private G+ group he uses to send his mates after people, Jeff was unironically telling the people that group was targeting that they shouldn't say anything in public because it's "inviting more of the same". Besides being a victim-blaming moral child he seems pretty okay though.
Got it. May sit it out, may not.

He's apparently a professor at our local state university. He seems like a kind of weird choice for an event speaker, but hey.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know GenCon is a pretty big yearly deal for a lot of goons in North America, but are there any goons (individually or as a somewhat coordinated group like in the GenCon thread here in TG) that go to Essen Spiel over on this side of the pond? The hype around it seems way more subdued than GenCon despite how utterly huge it apparently is.

I'm thinking about taking a couple days off work this October and going up there for a weekend away, considering I've never been. It's only around a 2.5 hour train ride from my front door, and if I decide early enough I'm sure the hotel situation is probably not stupidly bad by now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are there any RPGs that work well with just 3 people?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Dogs in the Vineyard tends to work better with fewer people. It’s pretty easy to reflavor the very good base mechanics too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SirPhoebos posted:

Including the GM?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The old school dungeon crawl solution is to just have each player roll up more than one character. As a bonus you still have other characters to play when one of them inevitably bites the dust.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SirPhoebos posted:

I played in an Apocalypse World game with 1 GM and 3 players and it was just fine. I imagine 1 GM and 2 players should work well enough in most PbtA games too, and I know Scarlet Heroes has a two player/1 GM section in its rulebook too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirPhoebos posted:

Fiasco with three people works like a dream.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Downfall is an RPG for exactly 3 players, no GM. It's one shots only. Seconding Fiasco.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How does Downfall work without a GM? I keep wanting to make a 2p pseudo-pbta game sorta cribbed from Mega Man Legends where instead of a player and a GM/MC there's a Digger player doing combat and exploring and a Spotter player providing support and building the dungeon through in-game scans and sensors...I just can't come up for a way to do it without a GM or premade CYOA style modules.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Never played Downfall, but Quiet Year is a pseudo-rpg with no GM which functions by prompting players with cards from a deck and having fairly concrete rules about who can talk and when (and what they can do when it's their turn). It's also not very good, or at least not very fun to play (it's entirely possible it wasn't supposed to be fun so I guess that's a different metric), but there might be some ideas there to look at for inspiration.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Fall of Magic is a storytelling game that works perfectly with three people.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

potatocubed posted:

Fall of Magic is a storytelling game that works perfectly with three people.

Is there a printable version of fall of magic, or do you need to buy the cloth version?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

SirPhoebos posted:

I've run Dungeon World and Spirit of '77 for two players, it works fine. It takes the focus away from "an adventuring party" and into "buddy movie."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I've run Apocalypse World with only two players, Breakfast Cult as well (thought the latter takes away from the secret motivation bit somewhat if you've only got two, but that's fine).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

food court bailiff posted:

How does Downfall work without a GM? I keep wanting to make a 2p pseudo-pbta game sorta cribbed from Mega Man Legends where instead of a player and a GM/MC there's a Digger player doing combat and exploring and a Spotter player providing support and building the dungeon through in-game scans and sensors...I just can't come up for a way to do it without a GM or premade CYOA style modules.

Downfall works by having the players collaboratively design the setting and characters/roles, and then characters are rotated around the table between scenes, so nobody "owns" any particular role in the story and everyone accepts each other's additions to the role as the game goes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
GUMSHOE will support as few as two players by default.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a printable version of fall of magic, or do you need to buy the cloth version?

There's an electronic version, iirc. Compatible with roll 20, too, if I'm not mistaken.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kibner posted:

There's an electronic version, iirc. Compatible with roll 20, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Roll20 has it for about $10. That's how I played it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been making houserules and homebrews for years like any other tabletop gamer, but I've always just put it in, like, Word or a Google doc. What are the preferred design tools for doing layout on stuff like PbtA playbooks?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been making houserules and homebrews for years like any other tabletop gamer, but I've always just put it in, like, Word or a Google doc. What are the preferred design tools for doing layout on stuff like PbtA playbooks?

I have no idea how to use it, but AFAIK, inDesign

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

InDesign is definitely the industry standard. As with most Adobe products, there should also be a few free/cheap alternatives, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Waffleman_ posted:

InDesign is definitely the industry standard. As with most Adobe products, there should also be a few free/cheap alternatives, though.

Are there any you would recommend?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Scribus

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, seconding Scribus - it's what I use to do my layout, though it's not quite as fully featured as InDesign. And on a related note, I've heard good things about Inkscape in terms of free vector-graphics alternatives to Illustrator, though I've never used it myself.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'd say Scribus is great because it's free, but if you have the cash InDesign is straight-up better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thanks for the recommends!

potatocubed posted:

I'd say Scribus is great because it's free, but if you have the cash InDesign is straight-up better.
I mean this is a game based on a running gag where my friend and I would call each other up and just say "Hey. Leave the Bronx." "No." *click* so I don't wanna spend too much money on it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, Roll20 has it for about $10. That's how I played it.

Oh, yeah, you could use fog to obscure it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm wanting to do a Pathfinder game with some friends over the internet and looking for a virtual tabletop to do it on. I know Roll20 seems to be the go-to but I know next to nothing about it. Is Roll20 what I should be going with are are there alternatives I should be looking at for this kind of game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
r20 is definitely the best choice, but there are options depending on what you want/don't want:

-MapTools is a lot like r20 but you connect over a network instead of over the internet/r20's site, which is good if the site's being fucky for some reason. Downsides: can be a nightmare to set up depending on everyone's firewall situation (last maptools game I was in was eventually abandoned after there was a stretch of weeks in a row when maptools didn't want to cooperate with someone's network/router/hamachi/firewall), less friendly interface.

-irc is extremely light and simple, supports logging, and it's very easy to set up a dicebot. Downsides: theater of the mind only, friendo, might be tricky to set up for the first time.

-discord is IRC but more people use it and it doesn't log as well. DEALER'S CHOICE

-google docs lets you set up a map, I guess, but why would you play a tabletop game over google docs?