Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lets be clear, its 35 bucks for a single inch and a half tall infantry model, not a regiment box or war machine

its not unreasonable to think thats too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You gotta charge more to make your heroes feel special

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

You gotta charge more to make your heroes feel special

In all fairness the outlay per hero is likely to be at least 25% of a unit box and they'll be selling at most 1 hero per 2 unit boxes. You can't really compare them as 28mm to 28mm figures directly.

Whether the current premium accurately reflects the production and logistics cost is another matter though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
At least it appears they are going to get boxes with units.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The hero model performs better in battle though so it is worth more money.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Z the IVth posted:

In all fairness the outlay per hero is likely to be at least 25% of a unit box and they'll be selling at most 1 hero per 2 unit boxes. You can't really compare them as 28mm to 28mm figures directly.

Whether the current premium accurately reflects the production and logistics cost is another matter though.

It wasn't too long ago they were selling them for 13-18 dollars so, yeah. You can't compare it to a regiment but you can compare it to other examples. They won't necessarily all be this price going forward but I'm willing to bet that pricing scheme is because the most expensive of them would normally have sold for 35 dollars but they want the four models to be at the same price point since they're all part of the same release.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Played Seraphon against a friends Slaanesh demon force.

Jesus, Seraphon almost feel unfair against chaos demons; so many buffs. A unit of Chameleon Skinks pretty much one rounded an Exalted Greater Demon.

Fun game though, pretty close.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I want to collect all these pokemon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Zombies are getting ether a repacked set or a new one can't tell.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Deadwalkers-Zombies-2018

Also little armies featuring the heralds. (Minus Order for some reason.) Don't imagine these are actual deals (I can't tell because these are not up yet on the American or Canadian sites.)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Marakarrs-Warband-of-the-Blood-Sky-2018
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Snazzgars-Portents-of-the-Waagh-2018
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Nighthaunt-Spirit-Host-2018

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 3, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ahh here we go all the new pre orders on the British side.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-G...517667960000%5D

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

that is unfortunately a repack of the same old zombies. No new Death units is a bit of a bummer but I’ve heard it suggested that Legions of Nagash is a fix to the grand alliance that might have been turned around faster than their 2-3 year timeframe for new model releases.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, LoN feels like "poo poo, people are getting too impatient for a real Death release".

And given what we've seen of it, it should be enough to hold over. I'm seriously tempted by the Grand Legion of Nagash stuff because elite tough skelly army seems exactly my sorta poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Command Ability in the Malign Portents books.

quote:

Soul Forged Sacrifice.
If your General uses this command ability, pick a friendly unit within 3" of them. Allocate any number of wounds to that unit- you can heal 1 wound that has been allocated to your general for each wound you allocate.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

New Command Ability in the Malign Portents books.

Running a unit of zombies just as a battery to keep your hero alive would be amazing :allears:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Mantic zombies are still the go-to for zombies if you want a horde. Far superior to GeeDubs.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Running a unit of zombies just as a battery to keep your hero alive would be amazing :allears:

You've got a perpetual zombie machine going since the death heroes give the raise dead aura as well.

Edit - Played WHFB back in 5th, all this new stuff is tempting me back, but I can't decide between AoS or 40k.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Zombies lost the ability to combine units. That's going to really hurt their usefulness.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just discovered Thunder Boys get guys with huge axes that get to attack everything within range.

:getin:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just lost narrowly to a Death army playing for the first time with 'my daughters' new Sylvaneth army. So fun to use but I'm going to bankrupt myself buying citadel woods

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some images of malign portents rules with blurry images.

And a very unclear image of the falling star portents. There are 5 other sets.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

So a bit like stratagems in 40k?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope this is just AoS 2nd with the 40k 8th rules now they have refined the 1st Ed AoS rules.

Shooting out of combat into combat is straight up dumb.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hope this is just AoS 2nd with the 40k 8th rules now they have refined the 1st Ed AoS rules.

Shooting out of combat into combat is straight up dumb.

We are doing some little houseruels to our game that is pretty much including some of the 40k rules. (Character targeting, Heroic Intervention, Charging giving you the first attack and no shooting out of combat into other combats.)

Our current issue is deciding a break off point for Character targeting. There are much less high wound models in AoS so the 10 wound break off point does not work as well. Currently I am debating between 7 or 8 wounds as the break off point were they become vulnerable to fire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serotonin posted:

So a bit like stratagems in 40k?

It appears so except you get the points back every round.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Quick question, are Mornghuls still loving bullshit or if I throw one down in the table are they a reasonable thing in a friendly game now?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

Quick question, are Mornghuls still loving bullshit or if I throw one down in the table are they a reasonable thing in a friendly game now?

No clue. Their stats have not been updated yet for the Battletome. Will bet they will lose the ability to be summoned and otherwise remain the same.

Also to ask this question again. For a rule similar to the 40k character targeting rules which would be a better cutoff point. 7 Wounds or 8 Wounds.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 4, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Haven't watched this yet but it should probably be posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUTV4wu-qY&t=4s

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Haven't watched this yet but it should probably be posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUTV4wu-qY&t=4s

It's were I got those pictures earlier.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

They aren’t bullshit but they are still incredibly hard to kill in casual play. But their damage output is kind of low for a 400 point model. And ranged mortal wounds can do a number on them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No clue. Their stats have not been updated yet for the Battletome. Will bet they will lose the ability to be summoned and otherwise remain the same.

Also to ask this question again. For a rule similar to the 40k character targeting rules which would be a better cutoff point. 7 Wounds or 8 Wounds.

I'd say 8. There's quite a few characters with 7 (mostly the generic big beatstick heroes, Ironjawz Megaboss, Seraphon Oldblood etc) but 8 is reserved for the properly big heroes like ogre tyrants, which seems like the level where they're tough enough without the protection.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd say 8. There's quite a few characters with 7 (mostly the generic big beatstick heroes, Ironjawz Megaboss, Seraphon Oldblood etc) but 8 is reserved for the properly big heroes like ogre tyrants, which seems like the level where they're tough enough without the protection.

Just to say when I say the cutoff point. The cutoff being 7 is 7 and lower being safe, while the cutoff being 8 means 8 and below are safe. Taking a look myself I am leaning 8 from the Heroes I see.

Pretty much all 8 wound characters are those I could see being protected from the chaos of battle with one notable exception

This guy.

He kind of looks like a fire magnet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 4, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That dude only has 8 wounds? Holy poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

That dude only has 8 wounds? Holy poo poo

Yeah I was surprised too.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-celestantprime-en.pdf

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

wyrd manages to price their plastic multipart monopose 32mm heroic scale single figure packs for around 11 bucks and still keep the lights on. but of course im sure gw is being totally fair with their pricing

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wyrd manages to price their plastic multipart monopose 32mm heroic scale single figure packs for around 11 bucks and still keep the lights on. but of course im sure gw is being totally fair with their pricing

Whatever people are willing to pay is fair for luxury goods so...

:shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would probably put a ton more money into the Hobby and I have a feeling lots of other people would too if everything was half the price it currently is.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it's really hard for me to be mad at gw about pricing. game seems much much cheaper than whfb and 40k seems cheaper than it was too

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would probably put a ton more money into the Hobby and I have a feeling lots of other people would too if everything was half the price it currently is.

I'd be even more willing to bet that you'd buy twice as much stuff and end up paying about the same amount.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strobe posted:

I'd be even more willing to bet that you'd buy twice as much stuff and end up paying about the same amount.

Yeah probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
ive know quite a few people who showed initial interest in gw games but were turned off completely by the expense. more customers paying less is a better business model than less customers paying more, usually. but hey, theres enough people willing to pay what gw wants to keep food on their table so good for them

• Locked thread