Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

prompt posted:

Just stay in the Hub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

prompt posted:

Just stay in Osaka and go to the Hub

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Anyone here pretty familiar with travelling around Nagano and perhaps Ishikawa?

My October plan with parents is to do Nagano, Toyama, Kanazawa, and a loop back to Tokyo via Gifu (and maybe Aichi but I don't really need to go to Nagoya again).

Things already definitely in there:

Karuizawa
Matsumoto
Tokachi
Kamikochi
Noto (maybe)
Kanazawa
Hida Takayama

Things that would be useful to know: More details about places you found beautiful, specific stories about what you found interesting about these areas, amazing places that you've stayed at, good hikes, really good minshuku in the area.

Also, for a rental car, do you recommend grabbing one in Tokyo + return in Tokyo? 3 People. (Note that there is also an expressway pass for foreigners that encompasses a good portion of Chuubu + Aichi-ken)

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Is the Studio Ghibli museum worth doing? I've seen only a few of the movies but do appreciate the animation. Trying to find something to do the afternoon before my flight in March.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you have to get tickets in advance on Feb 10 iirc.

It's good and cool.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

ntan1 posted:

My October plan with parents is to do Nagano, Toyama, Kanazawa, and a loop back to Tokyo via Gifu (and maybe Aichi but I don't really need to go to Nagoya again).

Karuizawa
Matsumoto
Tokachi
Kamikochi
Noto (maybe)
Kanazawa
Hida Takayama

Things that would be useful to know: More details about places you found beautiful, specific stories about what you found interesting about these areas, amazing places that you've stayed at, good hikes, really good minshuku in the area.

Also, for a rental car, do you recommend grabbing one in Tokyo + return in Tokyo? 3 People. (Note that there is also an expressway pass for foreigners that encompasses a good portion of Chuubu + Aichi-ken)

I stayed a couple of nights at shibu onsen last time I went to Nagano. Pretty nice and quiet little onsen town and you can go up and visit the snow monkeys fairly easily. Food and service was great at the ryokan we stayed at.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If you go to Kanazawa I would not skip Kenrokuen Garden.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ntan1 posted:

Matsumoto
Kanazawa
Hida Takayama

Been to these three. Matsumoto I liked a lot, I didn't do much specific other than chillax. It's a very good chillax spot. There are tons of wasabi farms, I went around one and ate some wasabi things. I recommend this. There's a wasabi greens salad and a giant fried chicken thing that are the local specialties and were both very good. I do not know the names since I am a mere tourist who speaks not the anime. Soba is supposed to be a thing there too, can't say I noticed the difference. The city is pretty far from the mountains so no hiking, but you pass through good hiking land when going to Takayama. I was there in winter so it was all closed down but there's a big park halfway between Takayama and Matsumoto that my friends said is spectacular, I don't know the name.

Takayama is small enough to go around in a day. The local beef miso in a leaf thing is super good. The day trip to Shirakawago was nice enough, there are supposed to be cool little places to stay there in the thatched houses but I did not do that.

Kanazawa is mostly about eating fish at the fish market, imo. Best fish I've had in Japan.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Matsumoto
Hida Takayama

Between Matsumoto and Hida there's a lot of good onsen in the Shirahone Onsen area and Okuhida onsen areas. The drawing point is the high water quality and wild, isolated atmosphere--very different from an onsen town. Awa no Yu is really notable for the cool grotto where you can bathe in mixed company with the benefit of totally opaque water, bath towels and concealed wade-in-entrances. I went to the "Hida Great Cave" on the way through, which was an interesting mix between natural beauty and bubble-style roadside attraction.

Oh and definitely check out Kamikochi for hiking and nature. I heard of a crazy hikers hotel on the ridge of a mountain around there, I'll look for it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone have any experience shipping something from Japan back to the states? Anyone know which postal service in the states takes the package over - USPS, UPS, FedEx? Are the costs pretty pricey?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How much stuff are you talking about?

Shipping, in general, is cheaper JP>US than US>JP. National post is transfered to national post but FedEx is partnered with Yamato and/or Sagawa.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

How much stuff are you talking about?

Shipping, in general, is cheaper JP>US than US>JP. National post is transfered to national post but FedEx is partnered with Yamato and/or Sagawa.

I want to sell a nice briefcase online and ship it to the states. I would prefer to be able to have tracking on it once it gets into the states. I don't care too much about insurance.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wild rear end guess would be thirty bucks shipping

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can find EMS rates by size/weight on the Japan Post website but when in doubt, just go to a post office and ask them to weigh and price it for you. A wide, flat package might be better done by Yamato, but Japan Post has more locations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Karuizawa
Matsumoto
Tokachi
Kamikochi
Noto (maybe)
Kanazawa
Hida Takayama

Depending on your schedule there is the Seki Knife festival and the Mino-Washi "Akari" Exhibition on Oct 6 and 7.
http://seki-hamono.jp/
http://www.mino-city.jp/en/tourist/festival13.html

The knife festival was nice both for the various shows that happened (knife forging demonstration, taiko drum show, and some sword demonstrations) and the deals on knives (if you are into that thing). The various producers will have setup shop to either sell of excess stock, factory seconds, or just regular stock at very nice prices.

The Mino-Washi "Akari" Exhibition was just pretty to see, the street is lined with all variety custom made lanterns that range from geometric designs to whimsical animals.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Japan Post EMS comes with insurance, tracking, and sig on delivery. Price is based solely on weight and usually takes 2-5 business days. 4000-6000¥ is my guess. Other shipping companies will be double or more. There is a lower Japan Post service with tracking but I have no experience with it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Thanks for the recs folks. I'm still surprised that Nagano/Ishikawa are legitimately some of the last known areas of Japan areas I haven't been to, after 14-15 different trips + studying abroad.

I'm actually not too big over the thatched huts - I'll probably stop by to take some pictures, but I've already stayed in a couple of similar huts in the Tohoku area. Also, Shirakawa-go is a bit too well known that I suspect that the experience might be affected by other tourists a bit too much for my tastes. Wasabi farms sound really good. I'm also trying to find a way to get into some grape farms around Nagano, since the Shine Muscats from that area around Oct. are amazing.

keirharder posted:

I stayed a couple of nights at shibu onsen last time I went to Nagano. Pretty nice and quiet little onsen town and you can go up and visit the snow monkeys fairly easily. Food and service was great at the ryokan we stayed at.

What's the tourist situation there these days? I'm not particularly keen about the snow monkeys just because I've heard enough horror stories. However, Shibu Onsen might be good.

Mongoose posted:

Between Matsumoto and Hida there's a lot of good onsen in the Shirahone Onsen area and Okuhida onsen areas. The drawing point is the high water quality and wild, isolated atmosphere--very different from an onsen town. Awa no Yu is really notable for the cool grotto where you can bathe in mixed company with the benefit of totally opaque water, bath towels and concealed wade-in-entrances. I went to the "Hida Great Cave" on the way through, which was an interesting mix between natural beauty and bubble-style roadside attraction.

Oh and definitely check out Kamikochi for hiking and nature. I heard of a crazy hikers hotel on the ridge of a mountain around there, I'll look for it.

Thanks for the information, I'm already aware of Shirahone and/or Okuhida since I'm an onsen nut and was planning on fitting a couple of places in. However, the place after looking a lot of Japanese sites I'm most interested in personally is 仙仁温泉 岩の湯 (Seni Onsen, Iwanoyu). I've heard many reviews about how hard it is to get a reservation, but it sounds amazing for a luxury ryokan.

.Z. posted:

Depending on your schedule there is the Seki Knife festival and the Mino-Washi "Akari" Exhibition on Oct 6 and 7.
http://seki-hamono.jp/
http://www.mino-city.jp/en/tourist/festival13.html

The knife festival was nice both for the various shows that happened (knife forging demonstration, taiko drum show, and some sword demonstrations) and the deals on knives (if you are into that thing). The various producers will have setup shop to either sell of excess stock, factory seconds, or just regular stock at very nice prices.

The Mino-Washi "Akari" Exhibition was just pretty to see, the street is lined with all variety custom made lanterns that range from geometric designs to whimsical animals.

Neat. Thanks for the suggestion.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
There weren’t that many tourists when we went in March, the onsen town itself only had a few Japanese tourists and a French couple. The town has 10 or so public onsen that are free and then the ryokan we stayed at had its own as well. We weren’t really sure what to expect with the monkeys, ended up really enjoying it though.

Nice walk along a path through a forest covered in snow, they’ve just dug out a pool in the hot spring where the monkeys can come down and relax, the monkeys aren’t locked in or anything. There were guards around making sure no one harmed the monkeys, we saw one kid try to grab one and then get screamed at by a guard. I avoid animal attractions normally due to the obvious abuse but I didn’t get that vibe at all there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ntan1 posted:

I'm actually not too big over the thatched huts - I'll probably stop by to take some pictures, but I've already stayed in a couple of similar huts in the Tohoku area. Also, Shirakawa-go is a bit too well known that I suspect that the experience might be affected by other tourists a bit too much for my tastes.

I was there during Chinese New Year and there were a bunch of mainlanders, but even then it was spread out enough it wasn't a huge deal. There is another less known hut village in that area that'd have fewer tourists, I was limited by what bus I could find so it was Shirakawago or nothing.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah, at a certain point I started strongly preferring renting a car over train while traveling anywhere outside of cities in Japan, even if the price is a tad more (it often isn't).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Looks like I'm getting bought out at work, so I'll be able to come back and do the bike route north from Kyoto to experience the alps with no time pressure.

I promise not to fall down a mountain again guys.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol we just purged chat, and now you're coming back??? (welcome!)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'll need to figure out a way to get to Shikoku for a visit. Probably gonna usw the payout to go to school with a B Ed as the end goal, and it'd be fun to chat with you and K about teaching!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Found the crazy mountain lodge. Not sure if it's a parent's trip kind of thing but here it is: http://www.hotakadakesanso.com/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You should talk to forums user Blistex about the reality of teaching jobs in Canada...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Which is more interesting for nature/onsen/upscale boutiques:

Karuizawa or Fujigoko?

Basically, should I take the Chuo expressway through Fuji, or Kanetsu-Joshin expressway through Karuizawa on my way to Matsumoto?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm not very experienced with driving here, but if Chuo includes the 東名 you should avoid it like the plague.

I've driven once to Hachinohe, but I don't remember the exact route we took. Karuizawa was very nice, but that was before the tourist explosion. Nasu up in Tochigi has a lot of rich people that fancy themselves artists as well as a lot of vacation homes and as a result some really fantastic restaurants.

But from my very limited experience I would give Chuo a hard miss.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Karuizawa was very nice, but that was before the tourist explosion.

When did this happen? Wasn't Karuizawa always busy for Tokyo/Taiwan/Hong Kong tourists?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I was referring to the change they made for mainlander visas in general. I don't know if Karuizawa has been impacted, but I'd kinda be surprised if it hadn't. Pretty much everything that was crowded before is super crowded now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well now you get Thai, Malay, and Indonesian tourists! Oh and this is just the tip of the iceberg because the initial wave of SEA tourists are the well off ones. If Japan is still hovering the same, then in 10 years time other developing countries will flood have the opportunity visiting Japan. Vietnam by then will join the gang and you will get even more tour groups doing Hakone / Tsukiji / Akihabara

On the bright side, someone will open more halal restaurants and bring more SEA food to Japan.

Oh strigent have you been here yet?

http://lanzhou-lamian.com/english

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's been a massive increase in Vietnamese "interns." Give it another 5 years for a significant number to settle permanently and open banh mi shops <3

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Chuo doesn't include Tomei, but it's likely i'll have to take the Tomei back from Nagoya if I dont want to pay crazy 1way fees + shinkansen prices.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

peanut posted:

There's been a massive increase in Vietnamese "interns." Give it another 5 years for a significant number to settle permanently and open banh mi shops <3

The place I stayed at near Okubo station had a bunch of Vietnamese places.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sadly, I have yet to see such a delightful sight here in Shikoku. We have a lot of Vietnamese interns in my town, but they're all the single guy instant ramen types.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What channel is the Super Bowl going to be on tomorrow morning?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Busy Bee posted:

lol'd

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

It's on subscription services NHK BS1 and Nippon TV G+, and on streaming service DAZN. You can probably sign up to an introductory month of DAZN and watch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

It's on subscription services NHK BS1 and Nippon TV G+, and on streaming service DAZN. You can probably sign up to an introductory month of DAZN and watch.

BS1 coverage may also include the English announcing, I don't remember, but I'm guessing the DAZN one won't. You may also be able to get the NBC Sports app online feed, but that's questionable.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there any issue to getting something shipped to a Japanese address that's addressed to someone that doesn't live there? I know its not an issue in the states but wondering if the Japanese postman would get confused and commit seppuku or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nah post guys are pretty chill and half the population doesn't have a name on their mailbox. The recipient will know to expect the package in advance, right?