Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Well the warpers didn't help on that score. Also I can't jump out of the trench so it's sort of stick there.

Unless they changed it you should be able to, you can kind of skyrim your way up the slightest incline if you practice. It takes ages though so it's very tedious. You might be better off finding the bottom and going through.

Pylons posted:

There's a seamoth depth upgrade in the Aurora.

There's also a set of prawn blueprints in there which will give you a lot more initial depth, though you might have to make some rough dives into the reef to get the materials for it if you can't get lower than 200m. You can honestly dive quite a long way with nothing but the seaglide or even just the ascent balloon, but it's not something you would ever feel comfortable trying, generally it's something you accidentally discover and subsequently kill yourself doing a few times until you learn to start worrying when your air is only half empty :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

also gently caress sea crown. last thing I need right now and it’s killing me. i refuse to use coords to find it, because I’m stubborn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reefbacks as a rule have a variety of plants on them from a variety of biomes.

Failing that one of the most overlooked biomes is the small caves in the red grass area, they have lots of flora you don't find many other places.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

also gently caress sea crown. last thing I need right now and it’s killing me. i refuse to use coords to find it, because I’m stubborn.

Well you're going to have a very duh moment, because you've been to the right place.

Where did you find the quest?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Well you're going to have a very duh moment, because you've been to the right place.

Where did you find the quest?

Gah! I suspected that very thing and had a look around but didn't notice it there. Ended up finding it in the wild like 30 minutes later so no big deal. But still! Gah!

Question: Was it hidden in some drat grass in the aquarium? Because that's where it was out in the bulb zone. Only saw it because it was night at the time.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 4, 2018

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Posted this a few pages ago, but just wanted to post it again because it makes a huge difference at night in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zbesKrEaQ

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

McCracAttack posted:

Gah! I suspected that very thing and had a look around but didn't notice it there. Ended up finding it in the wild like 30 minutes later so no big deal. But still! Gah!

Question: Was it hidden in some drat grass in the aquarium? Because that's where it was out in the bulb zone. Only saw it because it was night at the time.

Yup! if you go into the cave system below the emperors den, they're thriving down there.

You know, this game feels like a little bit like Pikmin. Stranded on planet where you must work with the environment to get back out.

Hopefully we a subnautica 2 where we come back and pillage everything of resources.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

the black husserl posted:

I feel like I've hit the wall in this game. I don't know if the databoxes are random or what, but I'm pretty sure I've searched every possible wreck I can get to and haven't found any blueprints that will let me go deeper than 200m. Feels like looking for a needle in a haystack at this point. Is there some area I can find that, or do I have to build 10 scanner rooms to locate every possible databox?

Are you missing the (Moonpool and Upgrade Console OR the depth module from the Aurora) or the Modification Station? You don't actually need blueprints for any of the depth modules, they are all available from the get go, you just need the right tools and materials to build them. Don't know why you are looking for databoxes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 4, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Just finished the game. That was a very satisfying experience altogether.

I had a hell of a time finding sea crown. The wiki says you can get it in the dunes so I went looking around for a while. After a few minutes of looking I decided to go look in the aquarium you guys were talking about earlier. Picked a direction to start moving out of the dunes and immediately saw a sea crown! Success!

Great game - can't wait for the expansion (if it happens).

Oh yeah - side note. I hadn't actually built a cyclops the entire game. I was surprised I actually needed to have one to finish the game. Took an extra bit of farming to get all of that titanium.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

spoilers homeboy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Holy crap the music that plays when I found one of the blood vine zones, with the thumping almost like a heartbeat, that was goddamn unnerving. And then the Crab Squids showed up, oh hello!

Having a beast of a time finding all the Cyclops plans right now but having some luck in floating islands..

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Encountered a weird bug. My scanner room allowed me to search for Magnetite the first time, but when I scanned something else and then tried to search for Magnetite again it wouldn't show up on the list.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Encountered a weird bug. My scanner room allowed me to search for Magnetite the first time, but when I scanned something else and then tried to search for Magnetite again it wouldn't show up on the list.

Did you reload the game between scans?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pylons posted:

Did you reload the game between scans?

Yeah. Do resources get randomized on load up?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

No, but it seems you have to get far away areas to load by visiting them, in order for the scanner room to be able to pick up their resources.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

The list of what the scanner has 'loaded' resets when you reload the game. You have to swim by the object you want to scan for it to pick it up for scanning again (or use a camera drone)

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Sorry if this has already been asked but did they finally fix the pop in? That kinda kills the game for me if it's still around.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Jacada posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked but did they finally fix the pop in? That kinda kills the game for me if it's still around.

no its loving awful

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The pop in is really bad, it speaks to the quality of the rest of the experience that I was able to stop being bothered by it.

Edit: By the way, is there anything comparable to Subnautica out there? It had just the right mixture of survival, exploration, progression and story to suck me in. It is an adventure in the way the other survival games I tried weren't. There was one set on an alien planet that I don't remember the name of, is that any good?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 4, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If I ever see a reaper leviathan it generally knows I'm there. Today I saw a ghost reaper in the blood kelp near the mountains. It was in the distance and just swam along happily. Are they less dangerous than normal reapers?

Also every time a reaper has grabbed my sub it's died instantly, so I'm not sure why I've read that reapers can do 'x damage' to a seamoth because they always completely destroy it when they catch me in it (at 100%)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Something that is still insane is that the pop in for terrain and structures is absolite poo poo BUT you can see the stuff INSIDE your base from miles away.

I dont get what sort of idiot loading algorithm could result in a situation that stupid.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jacada posted:

I thought I was going to feel the same way but the game got its hooks so deep in me I was able to enjoy another play through despite the pop in. How long ago did you play the alpha?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Something that is still insane is that the pop in for terrain and structures is absolite poo poo BUT you can see the stuff INSIDE your base from miles away.

Yeah, this. I ended up not needing beacons near my bases because I could literally see the light from the windows from over 800 meters away.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont get what sort of idiot loading algorithm could result in a situation that stupid.

At least now you can only see that stuff through a window. You used to be able to see it clean through the walls. God bless this drat mess of a game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
New hobby: look for sharks, stab them in the face until they flee, then chase them with the seaglide and stab them again until they're dead.

Then take a screenshot and hang it on my wall.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

At least now you can only see that stuff through a window. You used to be able to see it clean through the walls. God bless this drat mess of a game.

No I can still see clear through the walls from miles away. I dont have any windows.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I looked everywhere that was supposed to have magnetite and couldn’t find any. I don’t think my game has any like a previous poster. I can handle some junk but literally not spawning crucial gameplay materials is beyond frustrating.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I looked everywhere that was supposed to have magnetite and couldn’t find any. I don’t think my game has any like a previous poster. I can handle some junk but literally not spawning crucial gameplay materials is beyond frustrating.

Jelly shroom caves and the blood kelp floating islands past the true island are where I found mine. Scanner room with all range upgrades helps a lot although obviously you need to find SOME magnetite to work up to that, but remember it takes time and you need to swim around to get it to trigger different areas. Flashlight almost required without that, its one of the harder materials to spot because its the same color as the background and pretty spread out.

I very mich doubt its just failing to spawn it unless you are using a pre release save.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lol the sound designer's a hitler

https://twitter.com/dijon_dujour/status/959911136123609088 https://twitter.com/RainBlackKat/status/959952455743270913

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wish they'd dealt with some annoyances.

Mipmap distance is aggressively low which softens the image, has an obvious line of detail and drops the other side of a larger room like the moonpool to N64 textures.
Base low power any time you load the game.
Covering the HUD with markers gives the impression of a temporary solution to navigation they never tried to address. Hope you like beacons or have a great 3D memory.
Went out of bounds in interiors about three times which is nuts. It loves ejecting you through ceilings.
Water need is a nuisance. The Water Filtration Machine is overtuned and is one of the more hidden unlocks, maybe fruit is ok but I haven't tried it yet and the values appear low. You just farm bladderfish whenever you get low. Salt is good but randomly located. They missed an opportunity to have a floating water generator or figuring out how to make desalination reasonable.
Why don't big lockers come with built in signs like every other locker?
Bio reactor needs too much babysitting.
Who thought it was a good idea to make lightsticks use batteries, making them too annoying to use for anything but temporary lighting.
Building placement really sucks in interiors, it could use a grid/snap and being less arbitrary about what it will accept.
Bases are still buggy. Stack two modular rooms then try to add a ladder? Have another modular room appear inside overlapping everything. Fish like to come inside and bump you around. The game isn't always sure when you are indoors or in the sea.

Moonpool only goes one way round and you always get out/in the left. The ladders in it are a bit buggy too, aim up and climb back down into the water you were in :downs:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 4, 2018

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Carecat posted:

Wish they'd dealt with some annoyances.

Mipmap distance is aggressively low which softens the image, has an obvious line of detail and drops the other side of a larger room like the moonpool to N64 textures.
Base low power any time you load the game.
Covering the HUD with markers gives the impression of a temporary solution to navigation they never tried to address. Hope you like beacons or have a great 3D memory.
Went out of bounds in interiors about three times which is nuts. It loves ejecting you through ceilings.
Water need is a nuisance. The Water Filtration Machine is overtuned and is one of the more hidden unlocks, maybe fruit is ok but I haven't tried it yet and the values appear low. You just farm bladderfish whenever you get low. Salt is good but randomly located. They missed an opportunity to have a floating water generator or figuring out how to make desalination reasonable.
Why don't big lockers come with built in signs like every other locker?
Who thought it was a good idea to make lightsticks use batteries, making them too annoying to use for anything but temporary lighting.
Building placement really sucks in interiors, it could use a grid/snap and being less arbitrary about what it will accept.
Bases are still buggy. Stack two modular rooms then try to add a ladder? Have another modular room appear inside overlapping everything. Fish like to come inside and bump you around. The game isn't always sure when you are indoors or in the sea.

You should give fruit a try. Melons and Bulbo tree are good sources of water and food. Plant them in your base and top up hunger and thirst when you get back to your base. Then just replant the seeds when you finish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I mean when I look at it, they have a slow and clunky LOD and distance culling system for the actual voxel terrain, but bases and their objects are actually not culled whatsoever and possibly not occluded ever, either. I think they have some LODing for base parts but it doesn't cover indoor objects at all and they may not be culled either.

So basically they just don't have any optimization at all for some parts of the player built geometry, cos they're idiots.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

axelord posted:

You should give fruit a try. Melons and Bulbo tree are good sources of water and food. Plant them in your base and top up hunger and thirst when you get back to your base. Then just replant the seeds when you finish.

I like potatoes because you don't have to replant them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

uXs posted:

I like potatoes because you don't have to replant them.

Yes you do..?

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Carecat posted:

In my experience it only requires a ton of babysitting if you use fruits to power it since they have pretty poo poo energy density values.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I hadn't played this game in a long while (got it back when it was in EA), so I reloaded it and am currently enjoying just dicking around with it in Creative mode and building the Sealab 2021 2020 of my dreams. It still scared the crap out of me the first time a reaper grabbed my Seamoth, even though I knew it was invulnerable. And like a lot of people I still find diving down into the deeper darker parts of the ocean unnerving, even though I know I can't get hurt in what's basically god mode. But still enjoying messing around with it at the moment.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Yes you do..?

Maybe if you don't finish the tree ?
Sometime it feel like bulbous tree regenerate as well

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

finally got back to the surface! I took the portal out of the Emperor tank to collect enzyme bits, synthesize them and report back, then used it again to turn off the giant gun turret but I sure as hell wasn’t gonna leave my cyclops packed full of goodies down there. some scary moments escaping the lava castle area (it’s too dark to navigate around there) but I made it to the surface with 5% power remaining. god bless the thermal reactor. popped out to repair and scrape off power leeches, next stop home!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

About the virus/river/etc. Where is the research facility? I've got the rocket pad/gantry/boosters built, I've found an entrance to the River by Lifepod 2, but I don't think I can get the Cyclops into it, and my Prawn can't make it up the big waterfall of green stuff. Should I just put the mk3 depth mod on the Seamoth and try that way? I feel like I need the prawn to ward off bitey things.

I kinda feel like I missed an obvious path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

About the virus/river/etc. Where is the research facility? I've got the rocket pad/gantry/boosters built, I've found an entrance to the River by Lifepod 2, but I don't think I can get the Cyclops into it, and my Prawn can't make it up the big waterfall of green stuff. Should I just put the mk3 depth mod on the Seamoth and try that way? I feel like I need the prawn to ward off bitey things.

I kinda feel like I missed an obvious path.

It’s really, really deep. there’s one facility past the part with rib cages sticking up, but past that there’s a deep hole into a lava filled area and a long descending tunnel that leads into a massive lava filled cave, then holes in the floor that go wayyyy down into ANOTHER lava filled room where the main facility is. You need the Cyclops with all three depth mods to reach it, and crafting the mods requires kyanite, which is only in the lava area. The seamoth can’t even really go to the first lava area, even fully upgraded, and the prawn can’t manage the deep holes.
The Cyclops will fit though.

edit: basically, when you enter the lost river, you are a bit less than halfway to the terminal depth, and there’s quite a bit of horizontal movement required too.