Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm financing Lasik so I don't have to comb the wastelands for my prescription, will I have to pay it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Groper posted:

I'm financing Lasik so I don't have to comb the wastelands for my prescription, will I have to pay it off?

I've seen a ton of security documents for medical procedures, but they've always been for breast implants. I have no idea what in rem relief you could have against LASIK. I still think repossessing a financed dog is harsher than repossessing implants, but that's just me.

I once saw a little old lady get spiteful as gently caress in a Chapter 7. Her neighbor filed a 7 and listed a personal loan from her on Schedule F. She had no way to get her money back or challenge the dischargeability, so she offered the Chapter 7 Trustee $8,000 for her now-bankrupt neighbor's dog. Her neighbor couldn't match it so she got the dog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Acelerion posted:

So much money owned by the rich it has to float from bubble to bubble chasing returns

This is pretty much it, yeah

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Digiwizzard posted:

the banks didn't learn poo poo. The systemic risks never went away, they only got postponed and they've snowballed in magnitude as a result. Since the late 1980s the financial system has been wracked by shocks of increasing severity and frequency. This time there's nothing left that can prevent the crash.

The banks did learn one thing: if they gently caress up badly enough that the consequences would destroy the entire global economy, the government will step in to save them. They learned that we do negotiate with terrorists, as long as the terrorists are wearing expensive enough suits.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I call it "Brave God"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digiwizzard posted:

it's really simple, the 2008 financial crisis was caused by insane, excessive levels of debt.

No.

No.

No!

NO!

NO!

NO!

NO!!

*flips table*

*tears shirt open*

*falls to knees and screams at the heavens*

Most of what you said was correct but make no mistake, debt was not the cause of the 2008 crash but merely the tool used to create it. The actual cause was fraud.

People taking and giving too much debt was bad but it wouldn't have tanked the world economy on it's own. For that kind of fun we needed people gaming the system at every level of the home buying process. You started with bankers selling houses to people they knew drat well would never pay them off. From there they would cut those loans up and mix them with good loans and sell them as AAA rated investment instruments. From there you had various bought off government watchdogs turning a blind eye to this because they worked in JP Morgan Chase's offices and wanted cushy bank jobs down the line. And to top it all off you had banks scamming each other by insuring these known toxic assets with other banks, assuring that when they went up in flames they'd take literally every major bank (and by extension the world economy) down with them. It was so, so much worse than "too much debt".

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 4, 2018

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Most of what you said was correct but make no mistake, debt was not the cause of the 2008 crash but merely the tool used to create it. The actual cause was fraud.

People taking and giving too much debt was bad but it wouldn't have tanked the world economy on it's own. For that kind of fun we needed people gaming the system at every level of the home buying process. You started with bankers selling houses to people they knew drat well would never pay them off. From there they would cut those loans up and mix them with good loans and sell them as AAA rated investment instruments. From there you had various bought off government watchdogs turning a blind eye to this because they worked in JP Morgan Chase's offices and wanted cushy bank jobs down the line. And to top it all off you had banks scamming each other by insuring these known toxic assets with other banks, assuring that when they went up in flames they'd take literally every major bank (and by extension the world economy) down with them. It was so, so much worse than "too much debt".

they call it nonprime instead of subprime now so everythings fine ofc

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

and then we gave them all the fattest bonuses in history for doing so, in order to guarantee that they would do it again. which they are! in fact, they never even stopped!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

readingatwork posted:

No.

No.

No!

NO!

NO!

NO!

NO!!

*flips table*

*tears shirt open*

*falls to knees and screams at the heavens*

Ok but do you want the meal or just the sandwich

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fun fact: you don't see colossal amounts of debt without fraud

you just don't see it

turns out the creditworthyness of populations of people don't change

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Turns out when fictitious capital can't be valorized by labor, it's very bad

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fun fact: you don't see colossal amounts of debt without fraud

you just don't see it

turns out the creditworthyness of populations of people don't change

As a consumer bankruptcy attorney who sees literally hundreds of cases a week, this is not true.

E: My irony detector may have been broken here. I was on the bike. Sorry if I missed the joke.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 4, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pancakes posted:

As a consumer bankruptcy attorney who sees literally hundreds of cases a week, this is not true.

E: My irony detector may have been broken here. I was on the bike. Sorry if I missed the joke.

i ain't talking individual debt
ain't talking individual fraud neither

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Digiwizzard posted:

it's really simple, the 2008 financial crisis was caused by insane, excessive levels of debt.

we are now in more debt than ever before in human history. the problem has only gotten worse.

the housing bubble has been resurrected from the grave, and now houses are even more obscenely overpriced then they were in housing bubble 1. The joke is, this has been happening as home ownership has plummeted, so the primary driver of the price is speculators bidding it up. This is despite Americans reaching the lowest saving rate ever, with the majority unable to cover more than $500 in expenses. how broke as gently caress millennials who are already swimming in debt were supposed to save this dumpster fire Ponzi from collapsing will forever remain a mystery.

but it's not just housing which is overvalued now. You have simultaneous stock and bond bubbles cooking away, reaching valuations previously unimaginable. You have a tech bubble, a shale oil bubble, a bitcoin bubble, a student loan bubble and an auto loan bubble, and all of it relies on more and more debt. By 2007 the system was so fragile that a correction in just one of these areas would cause credit to dry up and topple the system. Now you have all of them happening at the same time.

the banks didn't learn poo poo. The systemic risks never went away, they only got postponed and they've snowballed in magnitude as a result. Since the late 1980s the financial system has been wracked by shocks of increasing severity and frequency. This time there's nothing left that can prevent the crash.

You didnt explain the first graph regarding MBS held by the FED at all. The third one I linked before criticizing Ritzholtz for saying that's indicative that millenials are starting to buy houses. You're linking these graphs as thinking these are self evident when they are not so I insist you share your source who has these graphs pulled from the FRED

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I wonder if this is how all those people in the 20s felt after repeated crashes and busts before the big one hit

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the whole U.S. economy is built on fraud lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*points to the bank*

fraud

*points to the skyscraper downtown housing the insurance companies*

mmm that's fraud

*points to bed bath & beyond*

built on fraud

i'm not joking either

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/Lisajon66479615/status/959968250284138497

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CheeseSpawn posted:

You didnt explain the first graph regarding MBS held by the FED at all. The third one I linked before criticizing Ritzholtz for saying that's indicative that millenials are starting to buy houses. You're linking these graphs as thinking these are self evident when they are not so I insist you share your source who has these graphs pulled from the FRED

Looking at those graphs it seems like the rate of increase in debt and home prices has decreased noticeably since the Great Recession, which I would take as an indicator things are different. And if that link on the last page suggesting home prices are up mostly because of a lack of construction is right it makes sense home ownership would be down despite rising costs and debt, since there’s more people competing to buy fewer homes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is a mistake to assume that it is people buying homes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the whole U.S. economy is built on fraud lol

Deregulation was really successful

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hedge funds have been gobbling up huge numbers of houses. why sell to a millennial when you're (like my boomer parents) getting regularly cold-called by buyers willing to show up that day and pay in cash? (and pay well.) the buyer, small- and mid-level speculators, can then flip the house to a hedge fund.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/41839-invitation-homes-starwood-waypoint-homes-merge-to-create-largest-single-family-landlord

and get this: the funds are now bundling rental payments and selling them as securities -- rental-backed securities instead of mortgage-backed securities.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/wall-street-buying-foreclosed-homes/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpBarn7jlc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

Ok but do you want the meal or just the sandwich

when i become god of cspam i shall destroy this meme and all who bow before it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it really is the shittiest zero effort catchphrase

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

hedge funds have been gobbling up huge numbers of houses. why sell to a millennial when you're (like my boomer parents) getting regularly cold-called by buyers willing to show up that day and pay in cash? (and pay well.) the buyer, small- and mid-level speculators, can then flip the house to a hedge fund.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/41839-invitation-homes-starwood-waypoint-homes-merge-to-create-largest-single-family-landlord

and get this: the funds are now bundling rental payments and selling them as securities -- rental-backed securities instead of mortgage-backed securities.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/wall-street-buying-foreclosed-homes/

:thermidor:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Definancalize the economy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“You kind of just hope they know what they’re doing,” says Dean Baker, an economist with the Center for Economic and Policy Research. “That they have provisions for turnover and vacancies. But have they done that? Have they taken the appropriate care? I certainly wouldn’t count on it.” The cash flow analysis in the documents sent to investors assumes that 95% of these homes will be rented at all times, at an average monthly rent of $1,312. It’s an occupancy rate that real estate professionals describe as ambitious.

There’s one significant way, however, in which this kind of security differs from its mortgage-backed counterpart. When banks repossess mortgaged homes as collateral, there is at least the assumption (often incorrect due to botched or falsified paperwork from the banks) that the homeowner has, indeed, defaulted on her mortgage. In this case, however, if a single home-rental bond blows up, thousands of families could be evicted, whether or not they ever missed a single rental payment.

“We could well end up in that situation where you get a lot of people getting evicted… not because the tenants have fallen behind but because the landlords have fallen behind,” says Baker.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I, uh...hmm...thats a only little terrifying

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
video owns:
so the perspective here is that *of course* the economic system is going to blow itself up. that's built in. but what does it and when? i kinda have an idea about the first one but the second one is unknowable. a bunch of people (who did everything they were supposed to do) will get tossed out on the street and lose everything, a small number of people will get even richer from it, and then the system will stabilize before careening into the next crisis ad infinitum.

because :capitalism:

rental-backed securities is also a great example of what harvey is talking about around 7:30

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 4, 2018

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it really is the shittiest zero effort catchphrase

it is a vital ecological buffer against goonery

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

this. this is what's gonna gently caress everything up again.

aren't they doing the exact same thing with loving car payments too?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

this. this is what's gonna gently caress everything up again.

aren't they doing the exact same thing with loving car payments too?
yep or "auto-backed assets."

looks like tesla is getting in on it: https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-raises-546-million-in-its-first-asset-backed-securities-deal-1517512824

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I mean tell me if I'm wrong but wasn't a huge cause of 2008 the sale of CDOs full of mortgage-backed securities, which were supposed to be as sound and stable as treasuries? and aren't banks/hedge funds doing the exact same goddamn thing now with much less secure debts like rent and car payments?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/960229549878505480

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i know one tesla owner and she's my landlord lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that graph, fuckin lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I mean tell me if I'm wrong but wasn't a huge cause of 2008 the sale of CDOs full of mortgage-backed securities, which were supposed to be as sound and stable as treasuries? and aren't banks/hedge funds doing the exact same goddamn thing now with much less secure debts like rent and car payments?

that was only one component of many. the 2008 crisis was basically a 'perfect storm' financial disaster because dozens of different components all failed and symbiotically fed into a vicious cycle of additional failures.

in this case no one is treating sub-prime auto loans as AAA backed securities

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

don't get me wrong i'm not saying it can't go *bang* and leave a lot of people screwed over but it'll be contained and won't spread into every other sector and crash the entire world economy like the housing bust did

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

drat you always get good research links Bru. While your link is somewhat old at 5 years, a little more current link that's current estimates their ownership of marketshare at 1-2% but even that small number seems shaky. I wonder what other market firms are out there looking at this more carefully but it's not like that's Trump is going to help out individual home buyers any ways. Despite these lovely moves by Wall Street, there are still resistive market factors like existing homeowners that aren't willing to sell since there's "limited" choices of updgrading or downgrading since they are contributing to the problem. Despite these issues, I feel that since a lot of potential buyers are removed from the market since they cant really afford to buy, the only real losers are whoever is overleverged when they purchased their inflated asset. It seemed like the only way to win was not to play their game but Wall Street keeps finding another way to gently caress over people in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Big Companies have been doing this thing recently where they turn to SV for ideas. Startup culture, agile development, 'disruption', et cetera, is the new cottage industry for 'that thing that will take us to the next level'. And why not, un-tethering valuation to pesky things like 'assets' and 'cash flow' can be fantastically convenient.

So Ive had the Tesla and Uber conversations with a lot of folks recently and i cant find anyone that thinks this is remotely ok. And the participants here would be more naturally skewed toward the apologist side to boot.