Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaocaholica posted:

Is TLJ the first SW film to feature:

-Direct reference to the Roman alphabet? (Poe says ‘H’ for Hux)
-Flashbacks

?

Books, paper.

There were flashbacks in TFA, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tfa flashback was a vision . It turns out she wasn't there. (I guess small parts of it happened) As was Anakin's nightmare a vision

Tlj had formal cinematic flashbacks . Complete with Kurosawa indeterminacy

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

euphronius posted:

A new hope had Roman letters also.

Are they still there in the SEs?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think there was a character whose actual name was "R"2-"D"2. Another was "C"3"P""O". Not sure if these guess are legends or what ever now.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

euphronius posted:

A new hope had Roman letters also.

I believe you mean High Galactic :reject: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/High_Galactic_alphabet

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Shaocaholica posted:

Is TLJ the first SW film to feature:

-Direct reference to the Roman alphabet? (Poe says ‘H’ for Hux)
-Flashbacks

?

As opposed to "R" and "D" for R2-D2, etc?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Or the X Wings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still can't believe "the Star Wars setting is illiterate" thing is real to some people.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

I think there was a character whose actual name was "R"2-"D"2. Another was "C"3"P""O". Not sure if these guess are legends or what ever now.

FN-2187

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

As opposed to "R" and "D" for R2-D2, etc?

TK421 do you copy?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Books, paper.

There were flashbacks in TFA, though.

Not paper but vellum. Which implies that Jedi originated as an religion on one single planet or alternatively space travel existed before a Gutenberg moment. I know which version would be cooler to see. Like that planned version of Alien 3 that would take place on a gigantic wooden planet monastery.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

UmOk posted:

Yes but they never showed the names written. Ar-too dee-too.

In TLJ, Poe specifically says ‘H’ for Hux implying the phonetic is the same. Most other films just show rando alien script when it’s on screen or printed. Pretty sure from ESB and onwards they made a conscious effort not to show any real world letters and numbers right up until TLJ. Droid names don’t count since you never get concrete evidence they are using Roman letters. Bee Bee 8. The 8 could just be the same 8 in whatever language. You can imply all advanced civilizations are going to have numbers. You just never see an Arabic 8 written or 2 or 3 etc.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

x wing

efb

y wing

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes but they never showed the names written. Ar-too dee-too.

In TLJ, Poe specifically says ‘H’ for Hux implying the phonetic is the same. Most other films just show rando alien script when it’s on screen or printed. Pretty sure from ESB and onwards they made a conscious effort not to show any real world letters and numbers right up until TLJ. Droid names don’t count since you never get concrete evidence they are using Roman letters. Bee Bee 8. The 8 could just be the same 8 in whatever language. You can imply all advanced civilizations are going to have numbers. You just never see an Arabic 8 written or 2 or 3 etc.

He calls FN-whatever, "Fin."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Papercut posted:

He calls FN-whatever, "Fin."

It's Eff-enn. Only TLJ has engrish letters. Or some poo poo

Hux? Con una Hache?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

UmOk posted:

It's Eff-enn. Only TLJ has engrish letters. Or some poo poo

Hux? Con una Hache?

Except then he'd call him "Fen."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Letters in Star Wars debate is about as interesting as the "actually all the humans are aliens played by human actors" debate

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ingmar terdman posted:

Letters in Star Wars debate is about as interesting as the "actually all the humans are aliens played by human actors" debate

But we’ve already exhausted the debate on how much of a hack Rian Johnson is tho.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm unironically looking forward to TLJ and the prequels being endlessly debated for years to come. In a couple years people are going to completely forget R1 and Solo even happened. Also, I'm going to be the one to start the term JT for Rian's new trilogy. PT/OT/ST/JT. And whenever the Obi or Boba Fett movie comes out we can say that R1/Solo/that are a loose set of three unnecessary appendices to Star Wars (aka IV)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Ingmar terdman posted:

x wing

efb

y wing

Do they actually call them that on-screen or is it one of those Ewok things?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

And whenever the Obi or Boba Fett movie comes out we can say that R1/Solo/that are a loose set of three unnecessary appendices to Star Wars (aka IV)

OPT = Other Prequel Trilogy

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Lock s-foils in attack position."

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kart Barfunkel posted:

OPT = Other Prequel Trilogy

DT = Disavowed Trilogy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

ESB: sir fighter approaching, x wing class
TLJ: permission to jump in an x wing, blow something up

all I can think of atm

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think the only time any fighter names are mentioned in the original movies is in Empire (on Bespin: "Ship approaching, X-wing class") and Jedi ("see if you can get a few of those TIE fighters to follow you").

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

There's that part in ESB when an officer tells Vader "Ship approaching, X-wing class" or something to that effect when Luke is approaching Cloud City.

edit: beaten.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
How the gently caress do these assholes in another galaxy even know english? MY IMMERSION

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's that one scene in ROTJ where Chewie recites the 26 letter alphabet on Endor bc Han actually can't understand him so he does that occasionally as a joke to himself

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

UmOk posted:

How the gently caress do these assholes in another galaxy even know english? MY IMMERSION

So there really is something to be said for avoiding specifically English wordplay in a theoretically non-English setting. But I don't think H for Hux or droid/spacecraft names really rises to that level.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm unironically looking forward to TLJ and the prequels being endlessly debated for years to come. In a couple years people are going to completely forget R1 and Solo even happened. Also, I'm going to be the one to start the term JT for Rian's new trilogy. PT/OT/ST/JT. And whenever the Obi or Boba Fett movie comes out we can say that R1/Solo/that are a loose set of three unnecessary appendices to Star Wars (aka IV)

Lot's of art isn't appreciated in it's time.

The Last Jedi is not one of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yaws posted:

Lot's of art isn't appreciated in it's time.

The Last Jedi is not one of them.

So it is appreciated in its time?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

So it is appreciated in its time?

I should have been more clear.

The Last Jedi is not worthy of being reevaluated years from now.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Yaws posted:

I should have been more clear.

The Last Jedi is not worthy of being reevaluated years from now.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Mine was stolen by a passing imp.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Fhate posted:

Sure. My crystal ball is telling me this corporate Disney schlock is secretly and auteur work of art.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Yaws posted:

Sure. My crystal ball is telling me this corporate Disney schlock is secretly and auteur work of art.

Yours talks? Sweet. Mine just showed me images of things to come. Mostly just images of me on the crapper.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What’s this garbage stand for?

It’s not garbage. On my world, it means ‘H’.

Well here it’s garbage.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fhate posted:

You mean MP?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s this garbage stand for?

It’s not garbage. On my world, it means ‘H’.

Well here it’s garbage.

So did you enjoy The Last Jedi?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Solo teaser just aired on sportsball. Undoubtedly we will all be in one accord on that film's successes and failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
IMO it looks great based on this teaser
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/960298267677417473

• Locked thread