Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

uh... you can freely rotate objects you are holding i am pretty sure

you can only deploy them facing in the x y plane

loga mira posted:

It's too many immediately available similar solutions, use a thing on a thing. It reduces the satisfaction of overcoming an obstacle.

i cant tell if youre being serious here :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I wish there were more games like this. I almost didn't get it after hearing it was a reboot of the original Prey. I only played the original for like an hour many years ago but the two don't seem much alike other than the ethnicity of their protagonists. Am I remembering the other game incorrectly?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

...! posted:

I wish there were more games like this. I almost didn't get it after hearing it was a reboot of the original Prey. I only played the original for like an hour many years ago but the two don't seem much alike other than the ethnicity of their protagonists. Am I remembering the other game incorrectly?

the game has nothing to do with the original but the name and being shooters with aliens. it was never made with the original prey ip in mind. the original prey protagonist was native american, not half-asian, too!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Prey also had space flying, gravity stuff, interactive screens all over the place were a Prey thing. People poo poo on Prey in this thread, better guns, shooting and enemies than this game. The ending was a real ending too, rather than the usual Arkane "gently caress you we're done". Tbh I'm not sure which things are from Prey and which are from SS2, played that back when you had to go to HotU to get it.

A magical native siberian getting abducted is also a better premise than the scientists have opened a portal to hell, you have to shut down the generator!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
lol I've been playing this game for 35 hours and I only just realised you can "sprint" in space

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I thought you had to stay below the red zone so I did the same thing as you, 35 hours in a stately 2001 space glide :(

Even for hours after getting the boost module.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I actually thought it was a really neat touch, the slow space movement - kinda helps give scale to the hugeness of the station, also leaves you with nothing but your thoughts to contemplate your destination as you slowly creep toward it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the funniest thing about "turrets will target you if you have typhon powers" is how many turrets are already broken when you see them later in the game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the funniest thing about "turrets will target you if you have typhon powers" is how many turrets are already broken when you see them later in the game

This started to annoy me, but then I had to do a quest where I assembled a bunch of turrets and I suppose that sequence would be harder if those turrets turned on me?

Anyway, I got to the bottom of that enormous reactor room and there's really tough enemies stopping me from climbing. I tried to brute force run my way out of the room, but so far no success.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Turrets you hack or make yourself are always friendly to you, no matter how much squid juice you put in your eye.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cuntman.net posted:

i cant tell if youre being serious here :psyduck:

I agree with the point, if there are too many solutions to a problem, it stops feeling like much of a problem in the first place, and an immersive sim absolutely does not require that the player be able to solve every problem using the tools they have, it’s perfectly fine to have problems only a character with a specific skill can solve, and indeed is a factor in adding to a game’s replayability.

The hook of an immersive sim is being able to play the way you want, but that loses its oomph if the impact of your choices are minimised.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the true hard mode is playing this game and not liking it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Reveilled posted:

I agree with the point, if there are too many solutions to a problem, it stops feeling like much of a problem in the first place, and an immersive sim absolutely does not require that the player be able to solve every problem using the tools they have, it’s perfectly fine to have problems only a character with a specific skill can solve, and indeed is a factor in adding to a game’s replayability.
Well that is a take

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im sick and tired of constantly having use a thing on a thing. why cant we have some variety for once

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Coolguye posted:

the true hard mode is playing this game and not liking it

you might want to have a chat with chipcheezum then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Well that is a take

I think the point of multiple character builds is that you should have a substantially different experience with different builds, if the only difference is that you can get past a door a slightly different way, it's worth asking what good the system is for.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
EDIT: What feels said, basically

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Gotta sage this thread to banish the Sword Coast Stratagems vibes creeping in today

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the point is that we all need to play the quest for glory series again

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the point of multiple character builds is that you should have a substantially different experience with different builds, if the only difference is that you can get past a door a slightly different way, it's worth asking what good the system is for.

That's not the only difference though? Playstyle varies widely between Typhon builds and human builds, not to mention a no needles run. Every skill has unique benefits. The example of having tons of ways to get past the electrical hazards is accurate but that's not meant to be a satisfying puzzle, it's a common environmental hazard. There are a lot of areas and items that require one specific skill to access, and a lot of stuff that can be bypassed by using gloo in clever ways. If the game is boring, it's because you're playing it like a boring game, which the devs support because a lot of people are boring.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I didn't say the game was boring. The big fan in the tunnels is where I actually noticed that, but I couldn't remember if shooting it also disabled it. Either way it's not a big deal.

I think there's a difference in player attitudes here, some players want to be rewarded for figuring things out and being proactive with skills and other choices, others are happy to see a variety of solutions, the more the better. If the devs could come up with a plausible way of hacking computers with a banana peel, the first group would feel bad about wasting resources on upgrading hacking, the second group would be delighted. I mean, these are the extremes.

So it's about balance, and to balance my complaining I'll say that the recycling economy seemed to me extremely well, balanced. Despite obsessively exploring and recycling every useless item I still felt resource scarcity in the final act. If I hadn't decided to sneak and run past most enemies earlier, rather than waste ammo, I would've probably ran out of ammo just fending off those end game things.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Getting kinda bored with this game suddenly. I'm at the bit where the Dahl guy comes and sends his military operators after you . How far am I from the end?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Last 10%.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Does anyone else get the sense that Dahl's Military operator assault was supposed to feature actual new scary enemies instead of a palette-swapped version of the same nonthreatening robot you've been dealing with the whole game? I loved the game but that sequence felt a little funny and cheap. I think they ran out of budget.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah I assumed there would have been human enemies but they'd require new and entirely different AI routines. You can fight humans now, of course, but they're generally fish in a barrel (even Dahl himself). What we get is far more logically consistent with the story as told (If you sent humans to eliminate all witnesses then you'd have to deal with those humans, who are now witnesses themselves, robots are more versatile / thorough, and while they can be dominated they can't be used to birth new mimics)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the military operators are real fucken annoying

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would have been hype as gently caress to have a ship full of goggle-laden operators jump into the fray and immediately start making GBS threads themselves as you descend on them.

Like they could have really pushed the Human vs Typhon thing where you get different reactions based on your neuromodding and if you go full Typhon they act like you’re the Xenomorph from Alien, literally crawling around in the vents above them and then bursting out of the wall, throwing a couch at them and making their heads explode.

Why no Prey modding community? Why don’t I have 30 hours of DLC for this game!!!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fridge corn posted:

the military operators are real fucken annoying

Stun gun. Stun everything, everywhere, all day.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Stun gun. Stun everything, everywhere, all day.

I like copying them and flying about murdering the other drones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hemale in pain posted:

I like copying them and flying about murdering the other drones.

Why did I never think of that? :doh:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah I assumed there would have been human enemies but they'd require new and entirely different AI routines. You can fight humans now, of course, but they're generally fish in a barrel (even Dahl himself). What we get is far more logically consistent with the story as told (If you sent humans to eliminate all witnesses then you'd have to deal with those humans, who are now witnesses themselves, robots are more versatile / thorough, and while they can be dominated they can't be used to birth new mimics)

I dunno, it seriously took me out of the story to think that an elite killer mercenary on earth used the same exact robot as a bunch of scientists/doctors on a space station. It would be like strapping a machine gun and wheels onto a fridge. Robots make sense, but operators should have been a Talos only thing.. It made the world feel really "small". I'm just nitpicking though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

the black husserl posted:

I dunno, it seriously took me out of the story to think that an elite killer mercenary on earth used the same exact robot as a bunch of scientists/doctors on a space station. It would be like strapping a machine gun and wheels onto a fridge. Robots make sense, but operators should have been a Talos only thing.. It made the world feel really "small". I'm just nitpicking though.
Pretty sure he didn't bring any of the Operators aside from Kaspar along. The shuttle was literally holding those two individuals, all the other operators came because they hacked all of the operator terminals to produce constant swarms of military bots. Easily could have missed something though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Basic Chunnel posted:

yeah it's not like there's a major memory-affecting mechanic in the setting that could be used on military personnel

i would have preferred that dahl had to bring an actual spaceship with military personnel on it so we get an entirely new set of areas when he arrives, like with the von braun/rickenbakker in ss2. human enemies, as others have said, would also have been cool, even though the ai requirements would've made it expensive for arkane

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In Greek mythology Argus was a many eyed giant who guarded Io. He's also referred to as panoptes, which means all seeing, because he had so many eyes on his head that they were never all closed at once. The title panoptes was also applied to Helios, the sun, who the Cretan people called Talos. It's also worth noting that in modern usage the word panopticon, in reference to Argus's many eyes, is the concept of a prison where the warden can see any of his charges at any moment, but the charges have no way of knowing who the warden is looking at themselves. The main mode of communication on board Talos 1 is called a Looking Glass, which can allow for two way video communication. Its inventor has dreams of a shadowy figure on the other side of the screen, prepared to step onto the station at any moment.

The game references a dark station/spacecraft near Talos 1. This is almost certainly Argus platform, where Dahl is stationed, and is probably located at L2. The Looking Glass screens and ID bracelets form his panopticon, from which he can see anything on Talos 1 at any given moment.

Interestingly, the entire premise of the game is very similar to a panopticon, with the key difference being that there is one prisoner who doesn't know that they are being watched by multiple jailers, with their actions being tested and recorded indefinitely until deemed adequate. This is pretty solidly into post-panopticonism, which includes synopticon (multiple watching one) and predictive simulation removing the need for surveillance.

This game's writers had a lot of fun. It feels like almost every element of the writing has some kind of dual meaning or element going, except for the Typhon, which is the best part.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 5, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, finished the game. Really cool. Did mostly human powers run so I'm half tempted to do a typhon killing spree playthrough but I doubt I will. Too many other games to play. Anyway, well worth the price (£10) of admission

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

the black husserl posted:

Uh... why wouldn't the guy who works for your company be using tech developed by your company? And he's not on earth, he's on Talos and comes from another station owned by the same company using the same tech.

I'm not seeing the disconnect here. The military operators were developed explicitly for anti-personnel purposes, Talos is specifically equipped to produce them en masse, and he's using Talos to produce them because he has full access to the station.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I had no thematic problem with the operators, they were just boring as hell gameplay wise. That was actually one of the only major problems I had with the game was there were only really 4 enemy-types: spider Typhon, phantom typhons, big floatie-mass typhons, and operators.

E. Yea, I was kind of hoping that Dahl was going to have some Typhon powers or something to give you a "taste of your own medicine" kind of fight. Would have been really cool if, when you opened the door (or crawled thru the vent :unsmigghh:), he force blasted you back and then slowed down time and started shooting lightning or something.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 7, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Game needed 3-4 more enemies and a boss fight to be sure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you gave him Typhon powers it'd probably feel a bit too much like the daud fight in Dishonored. Not that it's be bad but a little strange to go right back to that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was also thinking immediately of the Daud fight, except I was thinking it with an optimistic tone like "Yeah that'd be awesome!"

But then again Daud is a much cooler character than Dahl.