Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That DICK! posted:

I thought the movie stank booty rear end

What a foul worthless opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

What a foul worthless opinion.

I mean it's got a pretty rotten(heh) audience score on RT so that means it must be pretty bad. Sorry but numbers don't lie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That DICK! posted:

I thought the movie stank booty rear end

It’s a tedious film with some truly awful humor. I shall never watch The Last Jedi again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

UmOk posted:

I mean it's got a pretty rotten(heh) audience score on RT so that means it must be pretty bad. Sorry but numbers don't lie.

But Cinemascore gave it an A!

Phantom Menace also got an A. Lots of films get As. Turns out exit polls from people just exiting a theatre might be inflated.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Internet polls are pretty meaningless if there's a specific online campaign against something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Phantom Menace also got an A. Lots of films get As. Turns out exit polls from people just exiting a theatre might be inflated.

Cinemascore is right on both counts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sponges posted:

It’s a tedious film with some truly awful humor. I shall never watch The Last Jedi again.

I probably will

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sponges posted:

The excessive - and awful - attempts at humor in TLJ was a result from what Disney perceived as a lack thereof as the main criticism of Rogue One; however, they failed to realize that Rogue One's main problem was unwritten and boring characters.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 4, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Principal photography on TLJ finished six months before Rogue One even came out, so unless you have some indication that all the humor was added in reshoots, that's unlikely.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2018

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

TFA also had a lot of humor, and RJ specifically said he put a lot of humor in TLJ to balance out the fact that the storyline is pretty dark overall with the resistance being decimated and all.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Milky Moor posted:

Turns out exit polls from people just exiting a theatre might be inflated.

they probably just habitually interview adults

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I didn't mind this movie, but I am increasingly aware of the vacuous nature of this franchise. It goes beyond being simple entertainment to being almost offensively empty-headed. At first I thought it might be the result of Disney meddling, but not really. It's all boring empty flash from A new Hope onward. I think Disney has pretty faithfully adapted Lucas' shtik of cribbing from better sci-fi and churning out a neat toy commercial. Yeah, the prequels are the absolute worst offenders of being cynically made and empty-headed meandering nonsense but it's all more or less on that level from the start up to this point and into the future I have no doubt.

Starting to just be "over" star wars movies I guess. I have more fun playing a dead star wars mmo than I do consuming anything considered primary to the name and franchise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Exit polls make the mistake of not interviewing the same salty fanboys dozens of times.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I dare you to say something bad about Phantom Menace to Nat P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS8bma7LRX4

Somebody add this new info about Jar Jar to the canon part of Wookiepedia.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Yeah, the prequels are the absolute worst offenders of being cynically made and empty-headed meandering nonsense

What does it mean to make something "cynically"?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The prequels were a series of self financed passion projects, I think that in itself restricts how "cynically made" they could be.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 4, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

anyway my prediction for tonight is that we are going to see a teaser that starts out like the other first teasers (fading in and showing flashes of people ships vistas etc) but that at the halfway point it's going to have new Han deliver some kind of gag or catchphrase and then the new old Falcon is going go zoom and Chewie is gonna do his longest yeah boy ever.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

basic hitler posted:

I didn't mind this movie, but I am increasingly aware of the vacuous nature of this franchise. It goes beyond being simple entertainment to being almost offensively empty-headed. At first I thought it might be the result of Disney meddling, but not really. It's all boring empty flash from A new Hope onward. I think Disney has pretty faithfully adapted Lucas' shtik of cribbing from better sci-fi and churning out a neat toy commercial. Yeah, the prequels are the absolute worst offenders of being cynically made and empty-headed meandering nonsense but it's all more or less on that level from the start up to this point and into the future I have no doubt.

Starting to just be "over" star wars movies I guess. I have more fun playing a dead star wars mmo than I do consuming anything considered primary to the name and franchise.

"Empty-headed boring flash" movies don't inspire decades of philosophical and artistic discussion. They're typically forgotten almost immediately. Star Wars has always had layers, even if the contents of those layers aren't things that everyone finds compelling or even entertaining. I can find a book dull and uninspiring, but it's ridiculous if I then claim that the pages are empty because they had nothing I wanted to see.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

anyway my prediction for tonight is that we are going to see a teaser that starts out like the other first teasers (fading in and showing flashes of people ships vistas etc) but that at the halfway point it's going to have new Han deliver some kind of gag or catchphrase and then the new old Falcon is going go zoom and Chewie is gonna do his longest yeah boy ever.

This is exactly what just happened!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Solo trailer just played and it looks incredible

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Solo looks bland

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Glad there's a consensus here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Solo looks bland

Agreed. That was only a teaser for the trailer though. I'll reserve harsher judgement until I see the trailer tomorrow. Initial impression though? Yeah, I'm not wow'd or hype'd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would you be? They took a cool gamble and threw it away and now they’ll release a dull product.

It looks more desaturated than a DC movie. My goodness. It’s online btw

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I love the shot of the ISD in the vortex. I think the trailer sufficiently piqued my interest after all the bad news and my being disappointed in their decision on who to play Solo.

Lando looks fucken awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Why would you be? They took a cool gamble and threw it away and now they’ll release a dull product.

It looks more desaturated than a DC movie. My goodness. It’s online btw

I posted it just a few posts above yours lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It happens haha

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what that guy's name was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, that teaser has reignited my hype for Solo; if nothing else, there's gonna some cool visual poo poo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what that guy's name was.

George Lucas. He invented Han Solo fifty years ago to the day

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm down.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Looks grey and ugly and probably boring. I would assume the last point is a Ron Howard addition. The vehicles look nice, although not one of these new movies has managed to do a decent establishing shot worth a drat. Certainly nothing on par with the prequels.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Alright I'm sold, that got my hype.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

eh, of course it was going to have good cg. A trailer showcasing this doesn't convince me at all that it will be good

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dany cosplaying as genderbent chirrut

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ok I'll watch it just for Lando

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I guess I was expecting something other than underdogs fighting the empire again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jerkface posted:

Dany cosplaying as genderbent chirrut

Take that man's name out of your mouth.