Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

R. Mute posted:

what's up with the eagles? aren't they just this year's Not The Patriots?

their stadium has its own dedicated judge and jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

there was just an ad where they used an mlk speech to sell cars

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've now installed the nfl app and the NBC sports app in pursuit of the mythical free NBC stream.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
great work, nutranurse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlbY1tGARUA

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

kill everyone involved in this imo

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

kustomkarkommando posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronCampeau/status/960316635360894976

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What in the gently caress

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm coming for you Chad

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
dang, that beats the previous all-time great hands down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd18am6dc0Y

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kustomkarkommando posted:

even better it's taken from the drum major instinct sermon

quote:

Now the presence of this instinct explains why we are so often taken by advertisers. You know, those gentlemen of massive verbal persuasion. And they have a way of saying things to you that kind of gets you into buying. In order to be a man of distinction, you must drink this whiskey. In order to make your neighbors envious, you must drive this type of car. (Make it plain) In order to be lovely to love you must wear this kind of lipstick or this kind of perfume. And you know, before you know it, you're just buying that stuff. (Yes) That's the way the advertisers do it.

I got a letter the other day, and it was a new magazine coming out. And it opened up, "Dear Dr. King: As you know, you are on many mailing lists. And you are categorized as highly intelligent, progressive, a lover of the arts and the sciences, and I know you will want to read what I have to say." Of course I did. After you said all of that and explained me so exactly, of course I wanted to read it. [laughter]

But very seriously, it goes through life; the drum major instinct is real. (Yes) And you know what else it causes to happen? It often causes us to live above our means. (Make it plain) It's nothing but the drum major instinct. Do you ever see people buy cars that they can't even begin to buy in terms of their income? (Amen) [laughter] You've seen people riding around in Cadillacs and Chryslers who don't earn enough to have a good T-Model Ford. (Make it plain) But it feeds a repressed ego.

quote:

But now the problem is, it is the drum major instinct. And you know, you see people over and over again with the drum major instinct taking them over. And they just live their lives trying to outdo the Joneses. (Amen) They got to get this coat because this particular coat is a little better and a little better-looking than Mary's coat. And I got to drive this car because it's something about this car that makes my car a little better than my neighbor's car. (Amen) I know a man who used to live in a thirty-five-thousand-dollar house. And other people started building thirty-five-thousand-dollar houses, so he built a seventy-five-thousand-dollar house. And then somebody else built a seventy-five-thousand-dollar house, and he built a hundred-thousand-dollar house. And I don't know where he's going to end up if he's going to live his life trying to keep up with the Joneses.

There comes a time that the drum major instinct can become destructive. (Make it plain) And that's where I want to move now. I want to move to the point of saying that if this instinct is not harnessed, it becomes a very dangerous, pernicious instinct. For instance, if it isn’t harnessed, it causes one's personality to become distorted. I guess that's the most damaging aspect of it: what it does to the personality. If it isn't harnessed, you will end up day in and day out trying to deal with your ego problem by boasting. Have you ever heard people that—you know, and I'm sure you've met them—that really become sickening because they just sit up all the time talking about themselves. (Amen) And they just boast and boast and boast, and that's the person who has not harnessed the drum major instinct.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What message? It looked like they had people digging through his speech audio trying to find a segment they could use to sell trucks. They should have to pay him if they're gonna make him their spokesman.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

"built to serve"

:thunk:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 5, 2018

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, I was kinda-sorta hoping that it would be some sort of "Don't be racist, stop supporting Trump" PSA. But then, a few seconds in, the Ram logo showed up, and I couldn't help but laugh at how gross it was.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Arizona?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They just played mudvayne going to commercial. :unsmith:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

America.txt.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
solo doesn't look as bad as expected :shobon:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

It has Donald Glover as Lando. I think it will be pretty drat excellent.

e: GOLDBLUM AD!!! I'm so happy right now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Majorian posted:

It has Donald Glover as Lando. I think it will be pretty drat excellent.

e: GOLDBLUM AD!!! I'm so happy right now.

oh gently caress i hope solo comes to netflix, donald glover owns

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

there's a stinger ad with steven tyler and it's whole thing is that he drives backwards in the car and turns back time to become relevant again and the slogan is "feel something again" and oh my god so on the nose

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my mom just texted me about the commercials being disappointing and i dont know how to softly say to her how loving idiotic it is too watch something for commercials

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i loving hate the super bowl, and not just because of a billion more people being in the city i live in

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
the tide commercial was funny

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

the tide commercial was funny

Was it people eating pods?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

exmarx posted:

it does

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gonna enjoy the gently caress out of Solo

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
if fortune smiles upon me my life's work will be ripping off the baby boomers for huge amounts of money and redistributing their riches to the global poor, mostly through advertising

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Was it people eating pods?

Nah, it was a play on Old Spice ads. It was good for a laugh; hoping it doesn't get played ad nauseum over the next few months. (it will be)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

football-wise i think it's safe to start sighing: "it's happening"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

true leftist posted:

if fortune smiles upon me my life's work will be ripping off the baby boomers for huge amounts of money and redistributing their riches to the global poor, mostly through advertising

Hail Satan

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

football-wise i think it's safe to start sighing: "it's happening"

gently caress you, Philly. You make me root for you because I hate the Pats so drat much, and now you start giving it away.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
i'm like jesus, in a way

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
of course that's all moot because i'm going to end up living in a port-a-loo, 600lb +, selling my used underwear on ebay for weed money

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

gently caress you, Philly. You make me root for you because I hate the Pats so drat much, and now you start giving it away.

Same

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oooh! I spoke too soon!:neckbeard:

e: Mother of God, nothing makes me happier than seeing Robert Kraft that unhappy. Brady too.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 5, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

true leftist posted:

i'm like jesus, in a way

In that you once drove a banker out of your local temple with a whip?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m not watching the gridiron but are the pats going to lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m not watching the gridiron but are the pats going to lose?

Yeah.

• Locked thread