Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
You can't even drown in the dead sea, anything denser than that is just even harder to drown in.

Unless you're face down of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Quicksand is a vastly less serious problem that my childhood television viewing habits would have had me believe.

I know that's not an original line but it's still true. It shows you how much laziness goes on in Hollywood that that's how so many of them "build suspense".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ak Gara posted:

You can't even drown in the dead sea, anything denser than that is just even harder to drown in.

Unless you're face down of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4Oo__D8X4

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've played around on quicksand before. Had a ton of fun and never got stuck deeper than halfway up my calves.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/93oiFrE.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

Quicksand is a vastly less serious problem that my childhood television viewing habits would have had me believe.

I know that's not an original line but it's still true. It shows you how much laziness goes on in Hollywood that that's how so many of them "build suspense".

It really is a dirty trick to play on kids. I had only just got it sorted out that shrink rays and polka-dot paint were not real things but quicksand absolutely was, and now here comes loving Wikipedia to tell me the Maelstrom isn't even a monster whirlpool that sucks you down to the bottom of the ocean but like a weird undertow near a fishing village

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

what the gently caress kind of food is that

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I don't know what it is, but I'll tell you what it's not is dog food.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
looks like bigfoots rear end scabs peeled off

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have any of you heard of a guy named Todd Rogers? I hadn't either. Came upon this video by chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-H4sEHB54

The narrator is pretty dry and tends to ramble on, especially while reading out entire forum posts. The tl;dr is that Todd Rogers is a fraud that has lied for decades about his high scores and times in video games.

The Schadenfreude:
His Wikipedia page

quote:

On January 29, 2018, in the wake of many disputes being raised and several scores being proven impossible, the site decided to remove all of his scores and ban him from the site entirely. They have notified Guinness World Records regarding their decision. The next day, Guinness stripped all of Rogers’ records.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Didn't that just happen to the dude who was The King of Kong?

edit: The ‘King of Kong’ could be stripped of his high score

They haven't accused him of cheating, just that his scores were almost certainly done with emulation as opposed to the actual arcade machines.

This seems very important to grown men who play terrible 80s arcade games for what seems to be a living. The schadenfreude is on myself and everyone whose life is now measurably shorter because they read this post and that link.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Video games were a mistake.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If you watch only one part of the video, make it the last part where the narrator starts going through hilariously suspect Todd Rogers scores in rapid succession. He claimed a world record score of 1698 points in a game where you can only score in 5 point increments, and also, the game automatically ends at 1300 points. That's one of his less ridiculous ones, because it was at least plausible if you'd never played or seen the game before. The others are crap like this.

Come on! Even if you've never played a video game in your entire life, you know that something is wrong with this picture.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

To be fair he had a referee guy who vouched for him... said guy is now serving 30 years for sexual abuse of a minor.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ariong posted:

Come on! Even if you've never played a video game in your entire life, you know that something is wrong with this picture.

Wait, he acted like he scored 65 million points when the highest legit score was only 58,078? :lol:

How the gently caress does anyone look at that and not raise red flags.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm going to guess that whatever guys were stuck reviewing his claims gave very, very few shits about this.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, he acted like he scored 65 million points when the highest legit score was only 58,078? :lol:

How the gently caress does anyone look at that and not raise red flags.

Voyager I posted:

I'm going to guess that whatever guys were stuck reviewing his claims gave very, very few shits about this.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

To be fair he had a referee guy who vouched for him... said guy is now serving 30 years for sexual abuse of a minor.

DOH HOHOHOHOHOHOHO king of kong keeps on giving and giving

Seriously, if you want answers, watch King of Kong. silly bitchell is laid utterly bare

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Well, that’s one notch those smug New England assholes aren’t putting in their belts. Insert hot takes about not liking football in following posts.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
HHHAAANNNDDDD EEEEGGGGGGGGGG

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
lol @ sportsball

edit: ^^^^^ :hfive:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That was a surprisingly fun Super Bowl. For actual schadenfreude, could someone post any pics or clips of Sad Brady after that Q4 turnover? First he sits down on the field like he's as deflated as his game ball last year, then he's on the bench hanging his head. Beautiful.

E: https://deadspin.com/america-please-enjoy-these-photos-of-tom-brady-1822716310 ahahaahaha

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Feb 5, 2018

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Reading whiny columns from Bill Simmons back in the day about the poor suffering lot of Boston sports fans, when the Celtics already had enough championship banners to make the rafters sag at Boston Garden, and shortly before all 4 Boston teams would go on to win titles, is enough to give me schadenfreude every time a Boston team loses from now to infinity.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Feb 5, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Groundhog Day for Montague Street bridge as another truck gets stuck

It's not quite the 11'8" bridge but it's what we've got.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They should fit these bridges with a powerful laser so trucks can get their tops sheared off without delaying traffic behind them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/960348691465932800

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'm so glad it's not just me, then.'

Ever since croissant shrimp guy, I'm too scared to comment on food.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Barf brittle

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TacticalDigs/status/960352685122904066

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PetraCore posted:

This is staged, yeah?

Thank goodness he didn't take his shoes in.

And that was why I said he was dead before he started.

EDIT: I meant the lack of shoes.

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Feb 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DuffyOnWCMF/status/960357001493663750

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm so glad it's not just me, then.'

Ever since croissant shrimp guy, I'm too scared to comment on food.

*small pastry

and it will never not be funny

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Memento posted:

It's mostly a problem on tidal flats, people get stuck collecting mussels and drown.

And of course Lightning Sand is the really dangerous stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Fsyld7YD0

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

There was a guy who passed out by a truck at low tide and when the tide came in he ended up pinned under the truck and crushed and drowned.

I guess the lesson is try not to pass out on the beach.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ariong posted:

If you watch only one part of the video, make it the last part where the narrator starts going through hilariously suspect Todd Rogers scores in rapid succession. He claimed a world record score of 1698 points in a game where you can only score in 5 point increments, and also, the game automatically ends at 1300 points. That's one of his less ridiculous ones, because it was at least plausible if you'd never played or seen the game before. The others are crap like this.

follow up vid. todd rogers seems like a rare kind of scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_BE7ICo44

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Memento posted:

Only 70s kids will get this: A fear and respect of quicksand.

Radiolab did an entire podcast episode on this

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Memento posted:

They haven't accused him of cheating, just that his scores were almost certainly done with emulation as opposed to the actual arcade machines.

Twin Galaxies accepts runs done on WolfMAME, but they go through a different verification process. The fact that he bothered to lie and say he used an original board is basically proof of cheating by itself.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Raptor1033 posted:

You didn't care to mention the woman doing backflips down a road at 11:00?!

I thought this comment would be referring to something much more violent that it actually was. Pleasantly schaden-free freude :allears:

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Horse thought of umbrellas, panicked.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Spooked-Horse-Hits-Cars-at-NYC-Intersection-3-Hurt-Officials-Central-Park--472628003.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Umbrellas are scary. I use them to win my battles in the ongoing Canada Goose War.