Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

khwarezm posted:

Er, obviously current day Bangladesh and Pakistan are one thing, but did the rest of the green areas actually have Muslim majorities?

Not necessarily Muslim majority, but areas with a lot of Muslims or a Muslim ruled principality.

I think the one on the middle is the territory of the Nizam of Hyderabad, which was Hindu majority but after independence tried to become an independent state under Muslim rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ulvino posted:

What's the deal with "Dinia" anyway? Is it one of those Lucknow/Nucklao things?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinia

In fact it's where that map came from.

The guy who came up with it is the same who coined up the name Pakistan. Given his background I'd guess the anagram Dinia was a way to get rid of the Hindu root in India's name.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Looks like it, I was just wondering if it was merely a play on words or if the name had some concrete meaning like the Pakistan acronym.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Er, obviously current day Bangladesh and Pakistan are one thing, but did the rest of the green areas actually have Muslim majorities?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about Osmanistan.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Not necessarily Muslim majority, but areas with a lot of Muslims or a Muslim ruled principality.

I think the one on the middle is the territory of the Nizam of Hyderabad, which was Hindu majority but after independence tried to become an independent state under Muslim rule.

The map is made by a Punjabi Muslim nationalist, so it's more a dream

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

That bit on the lower right near the Swiss border looks more worrying.

That's way below the Swiss border

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mano posted:

That's way below the Swiss border

My geography is terrible okay

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Inescapable Duck posted:

That bit on the lower right near the Swiss border looks more worrying.
Ski resorts? There's less people living there permanently so the bars/person would get messed up. And you need a good après--ski bar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly, instead of populationdensity.jpg those maps are touristdensity.jpg (but also wtf bretons and corsicans?)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly, instead of populationdensity.jpg those maps are touristdensity.jpg (but also wtf bretons and corsicans?)

Fighting the good fight against Parisian imperialism is thirsty work

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's the only way to deal with being under the yoke of the French

For Corsica I imagine it's poverty and for Brittany it's the godawful loving weather

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Brittany, the only liquids you can find are cider, gasoline, pig urine, and sea water.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've heard that you can make two of those drinkable with reverse osmosis.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

In Brittany, the only liquids you can find are cider, gasoline, pig urine, and sea water.

That and the unceasing rain although I'm not sure that it isn't mostly made up of the aforementioned liquids.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's the only way to deal with being under the yoke of the French

For Corsica I imagine it's poverty and for Brittany it's the godawful loving weather
The weather in Brittany is great.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/960226610988437505

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can't imagine any place in France having anything even resembling bad weather.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can't imagine any place in France having anything even resembling bad weather.

If you like actually seeing the sun occasionally there's places that aren't pleasant. Also, places like Brest where it rains, on average, 159 days per year.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in one of those dark blue places. Anywhere where you see the sun at all when it isn't summer is basically a tropical paradise to me.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I live in an orange place and never knew how well I had it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

I live in an orange place and never knew how well I had it.

It blows my mind sometimes how much further north most of Europe is than it seems. London is at the same latitude of Calgary in Canada, Stockholm is roughly analogous to Anchorage, and Houston to Alexandria in Egypt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

how is chinese not on this map. you can go to the most flyspeck bullshit town in america and the only chinese family in town has a restaurant in a strip mall somewhere. it's at least as prevalent as mexican food

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

south jersey knows what's up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

boner confessor posted:

how is chinese not on this map. you can go to the most flyspeck bullshit town in america and the only chinese family in town has a restaurant in a strip mall somewhere. it's at least as prevalent as mexican food

https://medium.com/google-news-lab/what-is-the-pizza-capital-of-the-us-8611a1ca6e41

The original source lists a few not on the combined map and you can compare and contrast to your hearts content.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I live in one of those dark blue places. Anywhere where you see the sun at all when it isn't summer is basically a tropical paradise to me.

I was born and raised in scorching orange hellscape and daydream about escaping to the cool, pleasant climes of northern Scotland

Hell I’d take Ontario weather back. Ubiquitous warm sunshine loses its appeal when its... ubiquitous.

I’m also a weirdo who probably has reverse SAD

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

France is a big country, and the north is firmly in the lovely dreary (though temperate) North Sea zone.

e: if I had to choose I'd definitely prefer that over the American Southwest, which I assume is only fit for human habitation due to air conditioning. The perfect combination for me would be mild temperatures + lots of sunshine, but I don't think it exists. I haven't seen the sun since October.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, we had a whole morning of sun in the Netherlands yesterday. We had sun a couple of times last week too.

People tend to focus on rainy days and complain about them, but even over here, if you actually go count the days in a year, it turns out that somewhere between a half and two thirds of the days in a year are reasonably nice to very nice.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not normally one to complain about the weather, but this winter has been dire. I'd prefer cold and dry over the rainy non-freezing weather we've been having.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

The perfect combination for me would be mild temperatures + lots of sunshine, but I don't think it exists. I haven't seen the sun since October.
Arequipa in Peru has 300 days of sunshine, and the average high sits at 21.4-24.7 Celsius, average low between 5.2-8.7 Celsius. In terms of wind, all it seems to get is light breezes. I think it, or something like it (high altitude, low latitude) is the best bet for mild weather and sunshine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the Wadi Halfa Salient, which Google doesn’t think is disputed, unlike its famous siblings Hala’ib Triangle and Bir Tawil.

The salient predates Lake Nasser/Lake Nubia and made more sense when it wasn’t underwater.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Complaining about the weather being mildly unpleasant at times is an ancient hobby in such places.

Places with actual constantly miserable weather of any kind tend to be filled with people who are completely used to it and see nothing weird about going out in a shirt when the lake has frozen over or going for a walk in 30 degree heat.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not sure if I'm the Atlanten, the Stilla havet, the Stora sjöarna, the Mexikos förenta stater, the Kanada, or the aboriginal State of Hawaii.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sweden's like "Bitch, these oceans are ours!"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Soviet Commubot posted:

If you like actually seeing the sun occasionally there's places that aren't pleasant. Also, places like Brest where it rains, on average, 159 days per year.

Ugh, I guess I'll have to be the typo in the scale.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why is there more sun by the shore up North?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Complaining about the weather being mildly unpleasant at times is an ancient hobby in such places.

Places with actual constantly miserable weather of any kind tend to be filled with people who are completely used to it and see nothing weird about going out in a shirt when the lake has frozen over or going for a walk in 30 degree heat.

Dangerous weather and depressing weather are two completely different things.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Surely Florida's wrong? Pensacola was founded before Fort Caroline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why is there more sun by the shore up North?

Coastal climate.