Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

I haven't played with or against TKs yet, are their skellies that poo poo? Maybe they could use having no recruitment time, which means at home they can be recruited without taking up slots (IIRC that's how zero recruitment time works)?

They're just pretty boring, their whole gimmick is the Realm of Souls healing on death thing and the last tier rewards you with one Ushabti unit spawn. It's nice early on, but by the time you start fielding more constructs it feels entirely meaningless because Realm of Souls has no battle specific scaling. The same number of skeletons always need to die and you always get one ushabti, so my armies that are handful of few Tomb Guard units with constructs barely interact with that mechanic unless the situation is so miserably hosed that the heal won't matter at all. Meanwhile, taking bigger skeleton armies into the later game still only rewards you with one Ushabti which is pissing into an ocean.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

turn off the TV posted:

They're just pretty boring, their whole gimmick is the Realm of Souls healing on death thing and the last tier rewards you with one Ushabti unit spawn. It's nice early on, but by the time you start fielding more constructs it feels entirely meaningless because Realm of Souls has no battle specific scaling. The same number of skeletons always need to die and you always get one ushabti, so my armies that are handful of few Tomb Guard units with constructs barely interact with that mechanic unless the situation is so miserably hosed that the heal won't matter at all. Meanwhile, taking bigger skeleton armies into the later game still only rewards you with one Ushabti which is pissing into an ocean.

What? This is like saying empire are boring because they don't even have a map wide effect. TKs get sweet monsters and have an interesting play style. The realm of souls isn't OP good but it doesn't make the faction boring at all. With basic skeles the heal doesn't mean much, but you notice it doing work on tomb guard heavy armies. So it's like an inverse ushabti spawn strong early and heal more useful late to keep your "better" troops fighting.

Also I've had those ushabti come through in clutch situations. They dominate early, but late game they still make an impact if you really need to crumple a particular part of the enemy line with a rear charge or spawn them in ranged things you've been unable to get to.

I mean it could use a buff on heals or a tweak in some way, but TKs being "pretty boring"? Come on son.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
2 things:

Abilities like Murderous Prowess abs Realm of Souls should be based on cumulative HP losses. This is already how they determine margin of victory /loss and it stays balanced between chaff heavy armies and monster heavy ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The third tier of realm of Souls should get an ability in addition to the Ushtabi based on the legendary Lord:

Settra:Tomb Guard
Khalida: Stalkers
Khatep: skull catapult
Arkhan: Crypt horrors

This would require a high level to unlock, so you wouldn't get it too early but it would keep the ability interesting later on.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JBP posted:

What? This is like saying empire are boring because they don't even have a map wide effect. TKs get sweet monsters and have an interesting play style. The realm of souls isn't OP good but it doesn't make the faction boring at all. With basic skeles the heal doesn't mean much, but you notice it doing work on tomb guard heavy armies. So it's like an inverse ushabti spawn strong early and heal more useful late to keep your "better" troops fighting.

Also I've had those ushabti come through in clutch situations. They dominate early, but late game they still make an impact if you really need to crumple a particular part of the enemy line with a rear charge or spawn them in ranged things you've been unable to get to.

I mean it could use a buff on heals or a tweak in some way, but TKs being "pretty boring"? Come on son.

This was on the subject of their basic skeleton units, so

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah I read toaster as asking more generally about TKs and you response in that light.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Even when attacking out of a sieged city? That's loving bullshit.

It's hilarious when you do it to the AI. You can just decline to actually attack if you don't get the ambush and immediately attack again to re-roll, so you're guaranteed to get the ambush if you're willing to exploit that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Although TK are super fun as a total war faction, I’m kinda disappointed that this is what we get for Tomb Kings specifically

TK sold me on warhammer when I was like 12, and back then the only constructs were ushabti and bone giants. TK were the “elite” undead whose skellingtons were worth a poo poo, and the ideal Tomb King army was basically dead bronze age empire.

In-game TK skellingtons are trash even compared to VC ones and an end-game TK army forgoes the bone legions entirely for 19 constructs. It is fun as hell to play but TK abandoning skeletons for monster mash is weird and dumb af.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Yeah, I hear you. I think I would have been more bummed about it if the constructs didn't look so fantastic. Tomb Kings seriously has the best art direction of any race in the game, and I think it's not even debatable. All the constructs look loving rad. On the flipside, the skellies are just skeletons with progressively fancier hats on and wearing more rags.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is there a place to get this game where it doesn't cost a billion dollars for the game + dlc? It's really disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a collected edition or something for TWW1 in spite of the fact that 2 is already out.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Rookersh posted:

You are running Cynos's Unlocker I'd guess? Apparently it makes Beastmen super absurd because it spawns all the Herds at the same time, including all the LL Herds, and they tend to gang up.

There is a fixer for it, but I don't know more then that.

I poked around on the workshop and didn't find a fixer, any idea what it's called?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sampatrick posted:

Is there a place to get this game where it doesn't cost a billion dollars for the game + dlc? It's really disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a collected edition or something for TWW1 in spite of the fact that 2 is already out.

CA has substantial sales semi-frequently, just put it on your steam wishlist.

I am surprised there's no "Complete" edition, though. Probably because someone would look at the total price and say "I paid how much for this loving game?"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Although TK are super fun as a total war faction, I’m kinda disappointed that this is what we get for Tomb Kings specifically

TK sold me on warhammer when I was like 12, and back then the only constructs were ushabti and bone giants. TK were the “elite” undead whose skellingtons were worth a poo poo, and the ideal Tomb King army was basically dead bronze age empire.

In-game TK skellingtons are trash even compared to VC ones and an end-game TK army forgoes the bone legions entirely for 19 constructs. It is fun as hell to play but TK abandoning skeletons for monster mash is weird and dumb af.

You should be able to take an entire second stack of nothing but your skelemen and walk it around in front of the monster army. I'm late gave settra and I have two stacks of skeletons that walk ahead of the glorious heirotitan host to start fights.

They hammer and anvil pretty well in MP as well from the few games I've had against people who aren't great at warham.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sampatrick posted:

Fanatical has a sale going on right now. Or at least they did last night.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Are the Lizardmen just always heavily unfavored in auto-resolve? I thought it was the reverting of the Skaven auto-resolve issue at first, but I'm in my first Kroc'gar playthrough and I keep getting unfavored in battles that I win easily when I fight them manually. Like sorry computer, my 4 terradon/2 carnosaur stack isn't losing to Queek's trash stack with one Hellpit Abomination and some rat ogres.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
There's disheartening about starting a military alliance with Karak Azul, who are sitting pretty with the desoliation of Nagash, blightwater and eastern badlands firmly in their pockets with 2 and a half stacks in defense, and then watching them get taken apart piecemeal by Grimgor who's walking about with maybe 15 guys who usually the least bit wounded while he carves through every army and walled settlement in the area. the only reason he didn't get Blightwater was becuase the lizards and rats were fighting over it.

This took about 10 turns.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well, just killed Chaos in our first co-op game of TWW1. Boy they had a lot of stacks. I had a few questions re: chaos mechanics.

What triggers Archaeon spawning? Is it just a turn counter or do you have to kill a certain number of Chaos Warriors stacks first?

We killed Archaeon, but the Warherds of Chaos were still around, so the Warriors of Chaos spawned a bunch more stacks the next turn, and we didn't get the Age of Peace until we killed the Warherds of chaos and then finished off the Warriors. So I guess the Warriors will keep respawning until the warherds are dead.

Does it work the other way? Do the Warherds respawn if you don't kill the warriors fast enough?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My issue is that for such a trash unit, skeletons don't get nearly enough upgrades to keep them relevant later on. In contrast Skaven's slaves and clanrats get so cost effective the Stormvermin are mainly there for the Halberd version.

Then there are Nehekaran Warriors, who are the middle child of the roster in that they are better than warriors but worse than Tomb guard but also unshielded. The lack of shields in spite of the armor really hurts.

Little ways to make them better :

-Lore of Nehek buffs give an AoE benefit to 'skeleton' units making them a lot better. Giving a trash unit +20 melee attack has a bigger impact than giving it to an already good unit.

-Nehekaran Warriors get buffed melee attack and speed, so even when you have Tomb Guard the warriors still have a use as flanking attackers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In the tomb king campaign if you lose a casket of souls does it return to the RoR recruitment panel or do you need to pay another 5000g to get access to a single unit of em?

Also can't believe I didn't notice all tomb king lords have the immortality trait built in, once you recruit a lord he will stick around forever and you can send them on any suicide mission you want.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 5, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Caidin posted:

There's disheartening about starting a military alliance with Karak Azul, who are sitting pretty with the desoliation of Nagash, blightwater and eastern badlands firmly in their pockets with 2 and a half stacks in defense, and then watching them get taken apart piecemeal by Grimgor who's walking about with maybe 15 guys who usually the least bit wounded while he carves through every army and walled settlement in the area. the only reason he didn't get Blightwater was becuase the lizards and rats were fighting over it.

This took about 10 turns.

I allied with them as Settra's and also buddied up with the TK faction immediately to my south. This allowed me to immediately focus my attention on Grimgor. With myself, Karak Azul and The Dwarves hitting the greenskins on three fronts we knocked them down from number one power to like 30-something pretty quick.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 5, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am kinda used to the lore of nehek since I like little waagh and goblins. Buffs and debuffs go a long way with poo poo tier units. And lore of nehek has a good aoe debuff, which iirc is a melee attack and defense debuff, about 24 or so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In the tomb king campaign if you lose a casket of souls does it return to the RoR recruitment panel or do you need to pay another 5000g to get access to a single unit of em?

Also can't believe I didn't notice all tomb king lords have the immortality trait built in, once you recruit a lord he will stick around forever and you can send them on any suicide mission you want.

I was just about to say that about the immortality trait. It makes it useful in desperate situations also unmounted TK lords are fragile as hell.

Not sure about the Casket but I'd hope so. As is it isn't bad but it's like a gimped rocket battery and paying 5k for one is steep.

Even sillier there is a lord skill that gives it a whopping 15% more damage for a unit youd be lucky to have 1 of in an army :negative:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

They are permanently destroyed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I allied with them as Settra's and also buddied up with the TK faction immediately to my south. This allowed me to immediately focus my attention on Grimgor. With myself, Karak Azul and The Dwarves hitting the greenskins on three fronts we knocked them down from number one power to like 30-something pretty quick.

Settra is cool with greenskins, in fact him and Manfred might just be the only people in the world who aren't ecstatic that I'm leading an effort to exterminate them. Vlad, Karl, all the wood elves Kroq'gar and all the rest at least a hundred trust for my efforts in stemming the green tide. I'd gone north to secure the slayer peak form the vampires and thought maybe those fuckers could deal for a few minutes.

God only knows what happened to clan Angrund, who are currently squating in the disaster zone the saveage orks made of the border princes. The Vaults seem to have been conquered by Tilea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jeremor posted:

On the flipside, the skellies are just skeletons with progressively fancier hats on and wearing more rags.

I've read this like 9 times and still can't see how this is a negative

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Silver shields is a perk on very cheap infantry (skeleton warriors), soaking up missile fire isn't exactly an exciting niche though.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

They are permanently destroyed.

confirming this

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

confirming this

Same. 25 turns later, it hasn't come back.

That's loving stupid.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

That's loving stupid.

No it isn't. It is the exact same mechanic as the blessed spawning for Lizardmen.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Panfilo posted:

Not sure about the Casket but I'd hope so. As is it isn't bad but it's like a gimped rocket battery and paying 5k for one is steep.

It's just like all the TK's units. Expensive to buy (via buildings in other cases) but once you have them they don't cost upkeep. I guess casket is a little different since you can't recruit another for free if you use it. I've found them to be pretty good though, and regularly hit 200 kills with them. (Single player obviously)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

jokes posted:

That's loving stupid.

You are buying the ritual that boosts recruitment temporarily. Think of the casket as a free kinda lovely extra.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Um

Is my lich priest supposed to be able to cast magic missiles with no mana cost or cooldown? it's great fun, I'm not complaining as such. It doesn't always happen either. Probs bugged?

There is a bug with the Ruby Ring of Ruin (equippable item) and some other magic missiles. Its cooldown only triggers if the caster is moving while using the ring. If you stand still you can spam-cast fireballs like a machinegun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UJpcQ_zkE

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA-Wintrow posted:

There is a bug with the Ruby Ring of Ruin (equippable item) and some other magic missiles. Its cooldown only triggers if the caster is moving while using the ring. If you stand still you can spam-cast fireballs like a machinegun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UJpcQ_zkE

One of that dark elf's battle cries is just "trickery and deception!!!" lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hunt11 posted:

No it isn't. It is the exact same mechanic as the blessed spawning for Lizardmen.

The tooltip says it will replenish over time and the 5k rite is the only way to get it at all. It's dumb to lose special units forever because it got charged by bats or something. Also TKs are surprisingly cash strapped compared to other races so 5k is significant. Don't Necrosphinx buildings cost 8k?

It's not really the same. It would be the same if, for example, you could only get a carnosaur by getting a Blessed version and fulfilling that requirement.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 5, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The crossover audience for this must be exceedingly small

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I would prefer bob team mors

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's just min-maxing one all-construct doomstack, you're not going to have multiple stacks with no skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bit late on this but TBH the Greenskin hellwar is way preferable to Dwarf hellwar because at least they have a good mix of units. If anything, thanks to Greenskins oddly having one of the best rosters in terms of unit diversity, there's always a nice mix of threatening units in every encounter with an established Greenskin faction. Also, the Waaaghs! help with keeping stuff challenging; your teched/skilled-up armies with high veterancy will still have to put in some work when the enemy outnumbers them two/three to one.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 5, 2018