Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gridlocked posted:

My friend thought my idea for a SorcLock was too cliche. What do you thibk goons:

A Red Dragon descent Sorc who makes a pact with Mephistos for some power bevause his great great whatever Red Dragon ancestor is hunting down all of its mortal progeny because it is feeling insulted that its drunken mortal fling a few hundred years ago had resulted in the lesser races getting to tap into some dragon powers for free.

No such thing as 'too cliche' for D&D. It works.

dont even fink about it posted:

In other news, Wizards has now instituted background checks for both Magic and D&D event coordinators after some sex offenders were discovered to be involved in them (which statistically is more or less inevitable, I think). Naturally the D&D side is receiving less attention because by comparison it is almost dead compared to Magic, but:

Well, it makes sense, but then again I've never been a privacy-minded person. If you care about your privacy you'd just not participate.

The big problem I see here is with the sex offender registry itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Its an excuse to pick up Eldritch Blast because its a great Cantrip. Shame I cant make it into Fire damage as well.

3 levels of warlock would give me some great access to cantrips and a cool magic book for plot.

I wanted him to be lawful evil as the scion of a red dragon. Always keeps his word, makes good on deals and contracts, plans to survive for now maybe some day destroy his ancestor and claim the rulership of the family because clearly the strongest has the right to rule.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

Its an excuse to pick up Eldritch Blast because its a great Cantrip. Shame I cant make it into Fire damage as well.

3 levels of warlock would give me some great access to cantrips and a cool magic book for plot.

I wanted him to be lawful evil as the scion of a red dragon. Always keeps his word, makes good on deals and contracts, plans to survive for now maybe some day destroy his ancestor and claim the rulership of the family because clearly the strongest has the right to rule.

Red Dragons are chaotic by nature. But of course this does not have to be the case here. (Nor does the scion of a Red Dragon need to be chaotic ether.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Red Dragons are chaotic by nature. But of course this does not have to be the case here. (Nor does the scion of a Red Dragon need to be chaotic ether.)

Alignment means nothing in D&D or reality.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

Oh Sorlock is really strong, this is known. I'd suggest getting to at least Sorc level 6 before dipping Warlock, but you can do it at 3 and it still works - you have EB+AB as a reliable, automatically scaling combat option, after all.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MonsterEnvy posted:

Iirc reds are the lawful evil of the chromatic dragons. Black are the chaotic.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh Sorlock is really strong, this is known. I'd suggest getting to at least Sorc level 6 before dipping Warlock, but you can do it at 3 and it still works - you have EB+AB as a reliable, automatically scaling combat option, after all.

Yeah that's basically it. Firebolt as a dragon sorc is good too but I feel EB getting scaling beams that can be quickened is a bittle bit more reliable. My big question is do I take the first two stat ups or trade it in for a Elemental Mastery feat so I can fire up fire immune baddies.

Also as for 6 Sorc first I'm starting the character at about 5.5 as that is where my party will be after they finish their current adventure in the Mines. So I was going to do 3sorc 2lock and then take another lock level after.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah that's basically it. Firebolt as a dragon sorc is good too but I feel EB getting scaling beams that can be quickened is a bittle bit more reliable. My big question is do I take the first two stat ups or trade it in for a Elemental Mastery feat so I can fire up fire immune baddies.

Also as for 6 Sorc first I'm starting the character at about 5.5 as that is where my party will be after they finish their current adventure in the Mines. So I was going to do 3sorc 2lock and then take another lock level after.

Don't take Elemental Adept, it's a trap feat. The damage increase is pathetically low (a fireball goes from 28 avg to 29.3 average) and it only works on enemies that are resistant but not immune to fire, which is like... 10, 15 creature entries across all published material? Just focus on your CHA. Sorc 3 into Warlock 3 works.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Blue and Green dragons are lawful, Red, White, and Black dragons are chaotic.

I thought greens used to be neutral evil, but I was wrong, at least in 2nd, which is the old MM I have to hand right now.

E: There's nothing inherently not-chaotic about abiding by the letter of the law. You might have a higher purpose in mind which requires you to not have people think you're a worthless lolrandom dickhead.

It's the difference between genuinely working towards the creation of an anarcho-* society, and kicking over rubbish bins and smashing bottles while shouting "anarchy!"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 5, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Eh could be neutral evil then and just look out for number 1.

The point is I get to play a genuinely evil character in a group with a player who is great at sticking to his neutral good guns and two people for whom not only is alignment more a suggestion but are so far into video game rpg world they don't blink trying to hawk stolen goods back to their rightful owners becaude there is no specifc quest to retrieve it therefore it mus be spoils for them to vender.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Ultimately you’ve gotta take an anti-rape stance, so I can’t argue against this.
If "sex offender" in the US meant rape or pedophilia that would make sense, especially in a child-friendly setting, but in some states "urinating in public" is a "sex crime", so the issue gets police-statey very quickly.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2013/03/can-public-urination-be-a-sex-offense.html

quote:

Some may see public urination as a relatively harmless and victimless crime. After all, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

But in some cases, you could be charged with a sex offense and -- similar to pedophiles and child rapists -- be forced to register as a sex offender.

Its a case where puritanism has diluted the actual power of the intended laws.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

Eh could be neutral evil then and just look out for number 1.

The point is I get to play a genuinely evil character in a group with a player who is great at sticking to his neutral good guns and two people for whom not only is alignment more a suggestion but are so far into video game rpg world they don't blink trying to hawk stolen goods back to their rightful owners becaude there is no specifc quest to retrieve it therefore it mus be spoils for them to vender.

There is nothing stopping you from being descended from a Red Dragon and being Lawful. Thats just the default for Reds, and assuming your not a true dragon you won't inherit the same alignment.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only actual requirement for playing the descendant of a red dragon is that you threaten your enemies with a "Great Becoming".

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

FRINGE posted:

If "sex offender" in the US meant rape or pedophilia that would make sense, especially in a child-friendly setting, but in some states "urinating in public" is a "sex crime", so the issue gets police-statey very quickly.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2013/03/can-public-urination-be-a-sex-offense.html

Its a case where puritanism has diluted the actual power of the intended laws.

pull up, thread! pull up!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is nothing stopping you from being descended from a Red Dragon and being Lawful. Thats just the default for Reds, and assuming your not a true dragon you won't inherit the same alignment.

Honestly my big problem is that I'm not sure where to go from "Found out ancestor is hunting the mortal spaenlings bloodlines -> made deal with lord of the abbys for more power -> wants to confront ancestor and blow its face up cause don't wanna get eat"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

Honestly my big problem is that I'm not sure where to go from "Found out ancestor is hunting the mortal spaenlings bloodlines -> made deal with lord of the abbys for more power -> wants to confront ancestor and blow its face up cause don't wanna get eat"

Well it's possible the Deal with the Demon Lords for more power one of the requirements is collect blood from mortal descendants. Also he is a dragon and probably a massive greedy rear end in a top hat.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Patron presents vision quests for materials and magic items and such that will put sorlock and compatriots in a good position to stand up to an Ancient Red and whatever forces he may have allied with.

E: is there any actual published procedure for breaking a pact/turning on a Patron?

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 5, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Patron presents vision quests for materials and magic items and such that will put sorlock and compatriots in a good position to stand up to an Ancient Red and whatever forces he may have allied with.

E: is there any actual published procedure for breaking a pact/turning on a Patron?

I think the pact can be broken at any time by ether party, you just lose the power it granted you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Trojan Kaiju posted:

None whatsoever.

And from the standpoint that removing the warlock's abilities is effectively the end of them as a playable character, the design expectation is that there's no conventional way for them to lose power. I believe Mearls said that patrons can't do poo poo if their warlocks go against them besides sending other agents to harass them, but as I said this is unexplored design space and completely up to the DM.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've always run with the idea that being a warlock means you're fundamentally altered, like almost down to your DNA; you gain powers in the same way a creature like the one you've pact'd to might, they don't provide you abilities the way a Paladin's deity does. The deal is one and done; the patron would probably like to lure you back in with greater promises and greater strings but the basic warlock pact does not do that. Becoming a warlock is what happens when you successfully bind a demon into a summoning circle and demand that if give you great power. Once you're done it's gone. At least that's the way I've always played it.

I like warlocks with weaknesses but having a party member be bound to a demon in some kind of ongoing relationship just seems like a recipe for intraparty murder.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I haven't quite figured out what the demon wants yet for my sorlock. Or even if I want it to be a big name forgotten realms demon oe just some made up lesser one.

Going straight to Asmodeus himself for 3 lock levels seems a bit overkill

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

I haven't quite figured out what the demon wants yet for my sorlock. Or even if I want it to be a big name forgotten realms demon oe just some made up lesser one.

Most Fiend pact masters are actually minor fiends. It's not rare for the Warlock to surpass the one who offered them the pact in time. An Imp or a Cambion can offer a pact. It's pretty much them then transferring the power of Hell into you, to give you the powers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

It can be whatever you want it to be really, do you even know what setting your game is in?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
^^^forgotten realms

So a neutral evil SorcLock who makes a deal with a devil to get a power boost to attempt to survive his own ancestor systematically hunting down his mortal descendents with his step goal beimg survive and end goal being be poweful enough to kill grandpa and claim his mantel for himself also inevitably betraying the devil who gave him hos booster shot in the first place

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Gridlocked posted:

It is overkill, but there's other good options. And by good I mean really, really terrible. Try a demon lord. You won't have to worry about your inevitable betrayal pissing off some hellish hierarchy, but instead you get to deal with batshit crazy.

Here's a FR named demons list. Make the worst possible choice for a brief shot of power. It's the warlock way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gridlocked posted:

^^^forgotten realms

So a neutral evil SorcLock who makes a deal with a devil to get a power boost to attempt to survive his own ancestor systematically hunting down his mortal descendents with his step goal beimg survive and end goal being be poweful enough to kill grandpa and claim his mantel for himself also inevitably betraying the devil who gave him hos booster shot in the first place

Also if a Warlock and one patron break up, a Warlock can also find a substitute and take up were they left off.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ritorix posted:

Make the worst possible choice for a brief shot of power. It's the warlock way.

In the last D&D game I played in 4th ed, I was the warlock, but this was every single PC. It was amazing. The party's bad choices led directly to great personal power and then to the end of the universe.

I achieved my (revised at epic tier) goal though.

As the chief prophet of the things from beyond the stars, I was eaten first.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Have you considered taking a Celestial patron path? Perhaps a Ki-Rin, Couatl or something aligned with Bahamut may set you on a cleansing path to redeem your bloodline. Take that to level 6 and you'll be adding your Cha mod to fire and radiant spell damage. Makes your firebolt more significant though maybe not as cool as Eldritch blast. You'll have a dragon on each shoulder, whispering in your ear. For bonus fire points be a Tiefling with Flames of Phlegethos feat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NeurosisHead posted:

pull up, thread! pull up!

Turn left thread, nooooo

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh poo poo the Faerie Fire kickstarter got like 5 grand in the past day. It actually might get that last stretch goal for player races and subclasses.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1586134783/faerie-fire-a-5e-supplemental

(I'm excited about this thing but if it's becoming too spammy or whatever I'm happy to pull back. Only posting the link since last time I held back someone wanted it.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oh hey I came in to post about the Celestial Pact, which doesn't fit the evil overthrow everything mindset but fits FIRE!, only to find Neon Knight posting about it. Level 6 Celestial Warlock adds Cha mod to fire/radiant spell damage to one target. When it was under a different name in UA, and came at 1st level, it was much better. Still it can add some damage to a target. And if you also happen to get to 6th level in Dragon Sorc you could also add Cha mod to Fire damage.

In other words if you could get to 12th level you could add Cha mod twice to the damage roll against one target.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ugh I'm in a game I like and I really like the character I made for it but it's just an insane amount of people (8) and that makes the DM's otherwise totally minor shortcomings really stand out. I think I gotta politely bail.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Neon Knight posted:

Have you considered taking a Celestial patron path? Perhaps a Ki-Rin, Couatl or something aligned with Bahamut may set you on a cleansing path to redeem your bloodline. Take that to level 6 and you'll be adding your Cha mod to fire and radiant spell damage. Makes your firebolt more significant though maybe not as cool as Eldritch blast. You'll have a dragon on each shoulder, whispering in your ear. For bonus fire points be a Tiefling with Flames of Phlegethos feat.

Half-Elf actually, my characters blood line is fairly watered down at this point.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Half-elf, half-human, half-dragon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can you sell your soul to Tiamat?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Splicer posted:

It's D&D, you can sell your soul to the bartender if you're trying hard enough.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Splicer posted:

I was really hoping so. Tiamat giving me power to take down this dragon would be devious.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 5, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gridlocked posted:

I was really hoping so. Tiamat giving me power to take down this dragon would be devious.
So it turns out according to Rise of Tiamat, Tiamat is a fiend (not my screen shot)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Splicer posted:

So it turns out according to Rise of Tiamat, Tiamat is a fiend (not my screen shot)

Oooooh ok so get this:

My half-elf Dragon Sorc is a scion of a line of a particular Red Dragon who had himself a wilder youth a couple of hundred years ago and spread his bloodline out a bit. He is now older, wiser and has spent a lot of time masquerading as a human Lord somewhere growing wealthy as gently caress (the hoard!) and occasionally changing his face to pretend to be the son/nephew/cousin of himself to keep the facade going. Recently he has discovered there are mortal sorcerers out there with is bloodline-based powers from his wild days going around with power rightfully taken from him; so he sets out along with his agents to wipe out these bastards.

My character survives an encounter with an agent and then attempts a pact with Devil in an attempt to gain the power to survive against his ancestor. Tiamat picks up the Hell phone and gives him the Lock boost in exchange for him collecting some pieces (maybe blood, bone, scales, teeth) of the ancestor and maybe some other dragons as a part of her larger plan to break out of her prison.

So eventually my guy will get powerful enough to confront the ancestor and kill him, claiming his place and usurping his human-form's titles to get mega rich and cool. But then if the Tiamat adventure kicks off, he can stick with his Lawful status and find a way out of an obviously now dangerous contract; and he comes up with he will keep doing what Tiamat made the bargain with him to do: kill his draconic ancestors. Considering Tiamat herself is the progenitor of the chromatic race, she is part of this ancestor line.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Running Tomb of Annihilation and the party decided instead of delivering a shield guardian that was lost in the woods to the person who hired them to find it ASAP they decided to bring it with then and now it's punching everything to death, help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SunAndSpring posted:

Running Tomb of Annihilation and the party decided instead of delivering a shield guardian that was lost in the woods to the person who hired them to find it ASAP they decided to bring it with then and now it's punching everything to death, help.

I faced this problem too. I solved it by introducing a couple Black Pudding to Shield Guardian AC, then privately giggling with glee as they left it with a Blacksmith to replace it's armor.

Splicer posted:

Though they did make a mistake with Tiamat in that they mixed up her Alignment. (She is Lawful not Chaotic evil.)