Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny how Godot is famously ridiculous, but he actually seems like a pretty harsh take on the idea of extremely eccentric, slightly power-mad but competent legal officials in the game, and perhaps a lot of other hallmarks of the series.. He seemed to act significantly more normal in the past flashbacks though still coffee obsessed, making it clear that as Godot he acts the way he does because he knows he's dying and doesn't have anything to lose, his motivation revolves around serious issues about women from being poisoned by one and waking up from the coma only to find the love of his life has been murdered, and antagonistic towards Wright because he already settled the revenge and justice, leaving Godot with no way to get his own catharsis, especially since the woman who poisoned him was presumably already found guilty and executed.

And so this ends up with yet another convoluted murder plot... as a tragically unnecessary piece of posthumous revenge, trying to kill someone probably already in some equivalent of Hell, which leaves an innocent woman and long-lost mother dead before her own daughter could recognise her, and a family that's already suffered so much further traumatised. Also some ridiculous legal shenanigans that rely on Godot's complete disinterest in actually doing his job when he can't face off against Wright.

I mean, Dual Destinies really had a point about how in the last decade or so people had good reason to lose faith in the legal system even before getting into the events explored in that game. To the point where Spirit of Justice had to take it to a completely different country to escalate it. (While I wouldn't call it nuanced political commentary, I do like the points on how fragile justice and the rule of law can be when the courts can't be trusted... a pretty relevant theme, I'd think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What legal shenanigans are you talking about there?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, more being ridiculously late to his first trial and then outright walking out on the court room when Wright isn't going to be there. Though they even let the convicted murderer on prison labour do that, maybe they think it's only fair to give the defense a chance.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, more being ridiculously late to his first trial and then outright walking out on the court room when Wright isn't going to be there. Though they even let the convicted murderer on prison labour do that, maybe they think it's only fair to give the defense a chance.

When did he walk out? Case 3?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, Payne handles Maggey’s mistrial because Godot could tell it wasn’t actually Wright and didn’t give a poo poo. They sorta played that card too to explain his absence in Case 5’s first trial day, but he was stuck on a mountain soooo.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I’m playing investigations and I find it hilarious that this somehow also exists inside of the ace attorney universe. In all of the Ace attorney games it’s obvious that they just scoop up whoever happens to be on the scene and charge that person with murder and only put together like the most basic of investigation. I know that you wouldn’t have a game if all it was was blaming the first person on the scene, I just find it funny dissonance.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lechtansi posted:

I’m playing investigations and I find it hilarious that this somehow also exists inside of the ace attorney universe. In all of the Ace attorney games it’s obvious that they just scoop up whoever happens to be on the scene and charge that person with murder and only put together like the most basic of investigation. I know that you wouldn’t have a game if all it was was blaming the first person on the scene, I just find it funny dissonance.

This is pretty much how the Japanese legal system works though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you read up on miscarriages of justice they are usually exactly that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It is funny how Edgeworth plays Unofficial Defense Attorney in a large chunk of his AAI cases just because he has to fight that trend.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I know - what I'm saying is that Investigations is a bit odd since the rest of the series is so consistent on this fact.

Dr Pepper posted:

It is funny how Edgeworth plays Unofficial Defense Attorney in a large chunk of his AAI cases just because he has to fight that trend.

I didn't play AAI-1, and I just finished AAI2-2, and this is absolutely correct. I'm guessing I'll have to fight this system for the rest of the game.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

You didn't play the first AAI? Not that I blame you, since it's....not the best in the series, but I hope you at least watched a let's play or something.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Edit: Phoneposting in the wrong thread!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You didn't play the first AAI? Not that I blame you, since it's....not the best in the series, but I hope you at least watched a let's play or something.

I didn't, but its easy enough to stop and go back and watch AAI-1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I burnt out during the last case, which is apparently just as well.

A lot of it seems to come from defense lawyers having a reputation (probably unfairly, but not entirely unearned) of being seedy liars who'll do anything to get their client off the hook, so when Phoenix Wright is extremely successful as a defense attorney against massive odds while (for the most part) being honest and above board, and clearly putting in more investigative effort than the authorities do, it basically shames Edgeworth in particular into lifting his game. Something similar happens in Khu'Rain, where the judge, who'd have experience from back when they actually had fair trials, clearly expects Phoenix to start using lies and nonsense to defend his client. (Probably makes sense that all the best lawyers were the first to get the gently caress out of dodge)

It starts to make sense given Phoenix and Edgeworth almost swapped careers, and it's easy to see why; Phoenix grilling witnesses (and occasionally prosecutors!) until they basically confess to being the murderer has him acting as the prosecution half the time, while Edgeworth can be relentless when not satisfied with a suspect's apparent guilt.

I was a bit disappointed by the first half of SoJ's final case; would be fun to have Apollo vs Phoenix in a civil trial over conflicting claims on an artifact that the Kingdom of Khu'Rain and the Fey Clan might actually both have legitimate claim to.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I was a bit disappointed by the first half of SoJ's final case; would be fun to have Apollo vs Phoenix in a civil trial over conflicting claims on an artifact that the Kingdom of Khu'Rain and the Fey Clan might actually both have legitimate claim to.

I had a tough time going along with the tension in that part of the case considering Phoenix has been in the position of having to knowingly defend a criminal before due to Maya being threatened, except this time we know Maya has full channeling abilities and Phoenix is much wiser for his experiences. I kept my interest by deciding Phoenix was playing the really long con, which he’s capable of. What that case does do well is remind you how calculating/terrifying he comes off to the opposition when you’re not getting to see his inner voice snark or freak out every other line.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can forgive case 3-5's convolutedness, since the characters responsible were loving it up out of pride and guilt, which is good motivation. I was less enamored with 6-5 since basically every character in that case was motivated by some four-tiered blackmail scheme with Amara, Dhurke and Nahyuta all somehow simultaneously being held hostage to keep the other two in line. In general, the latter games rely far too much on blackmail as a character motivator.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

6-5 wouldn't have been nearly as good if all the characters weren't as awesome as they were.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sadly, Nahyuta is a bad prosecutor

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nahyuta is a good prosecutor but a bad everything else, which means he at least does his primary job. That's a big reason why Klavier loving sucks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Simon is very good, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simon's the best prosecutor after Edgeworth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Simon's the best prosecutor.

:yeah:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

voltcatfish posted:

Sadly, Nahyuta is a bad prosecutor

He's kinda... odd given it's later revealed his entire shtick was an act to convince queen bitch spider that he was loyal and behind her totalitarian ideals, but it's not really well hinted and never made clear exactly how much of it was an act and how sincere he was. 'He was a good guy all along' plays weirdly when he's clearly made an extra effort to put innocent people on death row. But the series has always been a bit weird with morality like that. Kind of a wrestling heel/face thing going on.

Simon works well because, whatever his actual actions, he very clearly enjoys being a scary ronin prosecutor.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It also didn't make any sense for him to keep that facade up when he wasn't in Kura'in, which really damages the whole idea.

AA6 helped Blackquill's character, because we get to see what he's like when the plot is no longer about him. We can finally see for certain that he is in fact a giant weeb.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Momomo posted:

It also didn't make any sense for him to keep that facade up when he wasn't in Kura'in, which really damages the whole idea.

Look, you never know when one of Garan’s spies is watching. :tinfoil:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rather a shame since Dual Destinies did a reveal like that much better, where a character's been putting up a complex facade for the entire game but it's hinted at partway through and still makes sense (as much as anything in Ace Attorneyland anyway) in retrospect after the final reveal.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Justine Courtney did it (de) best, and before Nahyuta did.

I wouldn't say Blackquill was putting up a facade per se, more like he just wanted Athena to give up and forget about him.

Edit: vvvv oops, yep, definitely agree in that case

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 5, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I should have specified, I meant Fulbright.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forget, is Aura on death row or just imprisoned for a few years for the hostage thing? Kinda lovely ending for her either way, though she did commit a crime.

Edit: Whoops got the name wrong.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 5, 2018

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

chumbler posted:

I forget, is Aria on death row or just imprisoned for a few years for the hostage thing? Kinda lovely ending for her either way, though she did commit a crime.

If you mean Aura Blackquill, she's just imprisoned, and I think it's implied to be a relatively short sentence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Justine Courtney did it (de) best, and before Nahyuta did.

Ehh, Nahyuta at least didn't spend three quarters of his game stifling a much cooler and more likable rival character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wasn't Nahyuta's deal that he intended to be the mole in the system but then they found out and blackmailed him with Rayfa's life and he just kinda grew resigned to the fact that there was nothing he could do. And that's why his whole gimmick is about telling people it's easier and better to just give up and accept their guilt/death or whatever because that's how he feels about his own situation.

He's still a loser and a bad prosecutor though.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't Nahyuta's deal that he intended to be the mole in the system but then they found out and blackmailed him with Rayfa's life and he just kinda grew resigned to the fact that there was nothing he could do. And that's why his whole gimmick is about telling people it's easier and better to just give up and accept their guilt/death or whatever because that's how he feels about his own situation.

He's still a loser and a bad prosecutor though.

Yeah, as I see it the fact that Nahyuta's character makes perfect sense and that his gimmick is a reflection of his own views on his own position doesn't actually change the fact that he's a boring prosecutor to play against. There's no bite to him - and while that's intended, it's not very fun to play.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm playing through AAI-2 and i'm not enjoying it. When does it kick in? I'm halfway through the 3rd case and I can barely get myself to keep going.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lechtansi posted:

I'm playing through AAI-2 and i'm not enjoying it. When does it kick in? I'm halfway through the 3rd case and I can barely get myself to keep going.

I love the game, but it sounds like you should put it down.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If Case 2 didn't win you over then yeah you're probably not going to like it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lechtansi posted:

Sounds like you have a case of bad taste,friend.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

God dammit capcom where's GS7

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Try taking your blindfold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

VolticSurge posted:

Sounds like you have a case of bad taste,friend.