Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Walker posted:

Just started 15 for the first time, any tips besides what's on the before-I-play wiki? Only FF I ever actually beat was 5, iirc.

It may look like an action game, but it isn't. Hold the attack button to keep doing attacks and the same is true for dodging.

Early on, be wary of your positioning because if stuff surrounds you, they will beat your rear end. Also try to attack stuff from the side or rear to proc link strikes with your buddies. These also have the benefit of making you fully invulnerable while they are playing out.

Don't be afraid to use magic or feel the need to hoard them. Use them to instantly wipe out a weaker enemy or enemies, or to soften up a stronger target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Oh yeah, and if combat is too hectic or you find yourself struggling with landing your magic death grenades, activate Wait mode in the options menu.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BrightWing posted:

I keep meaning to do an unarmed play through of that. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to grab the 3ds version.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Playable Morrie should be all the excuse anyone needs.

Two more characters, no random encounters, rebalanced skills and a whole lot more make it a mandatory buy for anyone who has ever enjoyed a JRPG.

A much more minor point but still relevant to these kinds of playthroughs is that Angelo now frontloads his skill points instead of getting his large increases at absurd levels.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, turbo mode makes the fetch quests in Ff12 trivial. I pretty much use it all the time now and just have to slow down if I run into an enemy that starts wrecking my poo poo.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Captain Walker posted:

Just started 15 for the first time, any tips besides what's on the before-I-play wiki? Only FF I ever actually beat was 5, iirc.

Someone already mentioned unlocking your party members' commands but I'd say go a step further and unlock controlling your party members asap, it makes the game a lot more fun and varied, and some of them are better at dealing with certain situations than Noctis is. It's under the same tab in the Ascension menu as the party commands.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

melodicwaffle posted:

Someone already mentioned unlocking your party members' commands but I'd say go a step further and unlock controlling your party members asap, it makes the game a lot more fun and varied, and some of them are better at dealing with certain situations than Noctis is. It's under the same tab in the Ascension menu as the party commands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It may look like an action game, but it isn't. Hold the attack button to keep doing attacks and the same is true for dodging.

Early on, be wary of your positioning because if stuff surrounds you, they will beat your rear end. Also try to attack stuff from the side or rear to proc link strikes with your buddies. These also have the benefit of making you fully invulnerable while they are playing out.

Don't be afraid to use magic or feel the need to hoard them. Use them to instantly wipe out a weaker enemy or enemies, or to soften up a stronger target.

These are the most useful tips anyone has given you, the one bolded being probably THE most useful because it changes your perspective on the gameplay entirely. Once you grasp this truth, combat will flow much easier. Your combos depend of directions, not entirely on button taps. If I remember correctly, you learn about the different attacks in the tutorial, blitz, finishers, etc. pay attention to those. Stuff like the greatsword's finisher is very good for AOE.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
For a fun experiment, try to guess how many of these key gameplay mechanics people are describing, and the stuff you experience in-game, were patched in after release!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i wonder if ff15-pc is going to use the current version, or if we're gonna get vanilla 15

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i wonder if ff15-pc is going to use the current version, or if we're gonna get vanilla 15

It's going to be the Royal Edition, basically.

https://www.finalfantasyxv.com/en/windows-edition

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
drat, the FF12 PC version is a lot more fun than I remember the PS2 version being. Not sure I like the introduction of jobs much though, it was nice to give somebody the ability to cure without completely and utterly crippling their ability to attack in the early game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

drat, the FF12 PC version is a lot more fun than I remember the PS2 version being. Not sure I like the introduction of jobs much though, it was nice to give somebody the ability to cure without completely and utterly crippling their ability to attack in the early game.

I do wish there was an option at startup to choose license mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to dive into 12 properly but I might wait for patches and or the modding community to have at it first. I feel like there's a lot of little QoL tweaks it could use, just from my quick sample.

I notice it's denuvo'd - will that hinder modding efforts? (And is modding likely to happen, or has my time over at fallout warped my expectations for getting mods that fix annoying things)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 5, 2018

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Don't worry dude, the Ashe/Fran/Vaan/Penelo boob enhancement mod is just around the corner, I'm sure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm waiting for the mod to restore Vaan's PS2 abs.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm waiting for the mod to restore Vaan's PS2 abs.

I don't remember Vaan having abs, just some marker on his stomach.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia: Balthier is only five years older than Vaan, and a year older than Cloud.

Man I remember being at a age where 22 seemed so old.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trivia: Balthier is only five years older than Vaan, and a year older than Cloud.

Man I remember being at a age where 22 seemed so old.

I remember a time when Locke seemed ancient at 25.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i honestly didn't even know locke's age until this decade. i think it's best when you just assume characters' ages, but i never took him for a teenager anyway... of course, i never took celes for a teenager, either :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Character ages in jrpgs always seemed stupid but now they actively upset me

Especially when half the time they've been aged up for the English release, because you become uncomfortably aware that the sexually available boob lady is now 17

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The White Dragon posted:

i honestly didn't even know locke's age until this decade. i think it's best when you just assume characters' ages, but i never took him for a teenager anyway... of course, i never took celes for a teenager, either :v:

I took Celes for young, but not as young as Terra. Mid 20s mb. tbh Locke's hair made me think he was older.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I want the mod for Vaan's TA2 design

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know how we usually think of how old dogs are in terms of "dog years"? I think there's probably some sort of "anime years" because they sure don't work like regular people years.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Especially when half the time they've been aged up for the English release, because you become uncomfortably aware that the sexually available boob lady is now 17
Best bet is probably to completely ignore any given character ages, because they're always stupid. Basically this:

The White Dragon posted:

also it shouldn't surprise me but is Celes seriously supposed to be a teen?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Your Computer posted:

You know how we usually think of how old dogs are in terms of "dog years"? I think there's probably some sort of "anime years" because they sure don't work like regular people years.

Best bet is probably to completely ignore any given character ages, because they're always stupid. Basically this:

also it shouldn't surprise me but is Celes seriously supposed to be a teen?

Yes, the thing with Celes was she was raised to be a weapon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's not a JRPG thing so much as a S-E thing though, I think. Granted, the vast majority of my non-S-E JRPG experience is from Shin Megami Tensei, which might just be uniquely good at it. Or so ingrained in its modern setting that people can't fudge the numbers very well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Celes' age makes context in the setting of the story, and works well when contrasted w/ the different way Terra was raised to be a weapon. But she doesn't come off as 18, which ... also makes sense with how she probably was raised also.

Honestly I've always thought FFVI handled ages the best. Other than Relm and Gau, Terra and Celes are the youngest but 18 doesn't feel insanely young for them. They're not like 15 or w/e. The cast has people of so many diff ages and it's pretty dope. Locke at 25 is the youngest after them, afaik Sabin and Edgar are like 30.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't read the bio and just end up assuming the characters are whatever they seem to be. Playing VI, I guessed Celes was late 20s. Young for a General, but super-gifted. And the game was perfectly fine thus.

It was also better that she was a pixelated sprite and I was free to just assume she had proper armour on. Or at the very least, pants.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 5, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sabin and Edgar honestly don't feel like 30. It's weird.

But hey, FFVIII has the most realistic cast ages! Right?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's not a JRPG thing so much as a S-E thing though, I think. Granted, the vast majority of my non-S-E JRPG experience is from Shin Megami Tensei, which might just be uniquely good at it. Or so ingrained in its modern setting that people can't fudge the numbers very well.

Yeah SMT is good at it. Tales games are SE levels of silly from what I remember. Not that it matters really, just all very weird

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

But hey, FFVIII has the most realistic cast ages! Right?

I always figured Quistis to be older with her being a teacher and all, but that might have been the point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Avalerion posted:

I always figured Quistis to be older with her being a teacher and all, but that might have been the point.

I agree with a lot of people about ages not really making sense but quistis specifically is a child prodigy and she is real hosed up bc of the responsibility she isn't really ready for

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Quistis makes a lot of sense, hell her being so young is 100% the point of her early game arc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It makes sense if Quistis is slightly older, but not shoehorned into the orphanage plot like she was. You really don't lose anything by cutting her out of it and aging her up a few years.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Avalerion posted:

This would be really weird if she were older given that her entire character is defined by 1. being a teacher, and 2. want(ing/ed) to jump Squall's bones.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

esperterra posted:

Quistis makes a lot of sense, hell her being so young is 100% the point of her early game arc.

Fixed that for you, everyone knows that anyone not named Squall, Rinoa, Seifer or Laguna doesn't have an arc past disc 2 (and honestly Rinoa is arguable).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

Fixed that for you, everyone knows that anyone not named Squall, Rinoa, Seifer or Laguna doesn't have an arc past disc 2 (and honestly Rinoa is arguable).

Yah good point tbqh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Zell x Hot Dog is a game-spanning arc, thank you very much

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I can't believe people manage to forget the librarian that tries to intervene in the hot dog love story. Shameful, really.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going by the ending cutscene she’s clearly just the wingman.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

are the ages ever mentioned in game? It's just a number in the manual, it's about as important as a characters bloodtype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm really confused as to why they make you buy gambits. I'm 7 hours into the game and all I can really do is tell my team to autoattack :( Maybe I just don't understand it, but I tried setting up some simple ones like stealing at the start of a fight or using magic above a certain mp treshold and attacking otherwise but I couldn't get anything more advanced than just "attack enemy" to work with the few gambits I have.

Speaking of, not a whole lot has happened in those 7 hours other than walking through identical tunnel after identical tunnel. I guess in JRPG terms that isn't very long, but it feels like I'm still in the tutorial and I'm still waiting for that story hook to set things off. I've heard people praise the game a lot so I guess it's just a slow burner though.