Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

veni veni veni posted:

Netflix made some cloverfield thing that releases right after the game.

what time is that exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When the game ends.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Be sure to watch the National Lampoon doc as well.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80066078

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

substitute posted:

Be sure to watch the National Lampoon doc as well.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80066078

That's a definite pro watch. I liked it better than the Will Forte thing that just came out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watch The Wound, non-negotiable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfewQtmGw2o

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what time is that exactly

Now.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/960354547767025664

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
New Cloverfield property drops secretly after the Superbowl.

Huh, I guess the Superbowl happened today?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Finished Altered Carbon. Enjoyed the first half more than the second but it wrapped up nicely.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
30 mins into cloverfield WTF

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It’s atrocious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's nowhere near as well-crafted as 10 Cloverfield Lane but it has moments.

"Well, we found the worms!"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is it just "in Universe" or does it have a direct connection to Cloverfield

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Might not even be in the same universe. Cloverfield is just an anthology series connected in name at this point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

It was originally called The God Particle and unrelated to Abrams. When he got it he changed the name and removed all references to god particles. Also it was supposed to be released in theaters last year and now it’s been dumped on netflix with zero warning as a stunt to boost views, so it’s probably pretty dire.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[quote="“business hammocks”" post="“480985932”"]
It was originally called The God Particle and unrelated to Abrams. When he got it he changed the name and removed all references to god particles. Also it was supposed to be released in theaters last year and now it’s been dumped on netflix with zero warning as a stunt to boost views, so it’s probably pretty dire.
[/quote]

It’s incredibly amateurish in every way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haven't watched it yet, but if it sucks that sucks. I was pretty much associating Cloverfield with "decent quality horror/sci fi anthology" at this point but if it's bad the name is meaningless.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

net cafe scandal posted:

It’s incredibly amateurish in every way.

This is major hyperbole. It's shot fine and it has a really interesting concept that goes to some crazy places. The characters are pretty fun and there's some pretty horrifying scenes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm enjoying the new Cloverfield thingy. It has some suitably hosed up poo poo in it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The problem is that it's only a pretty decent Event Horizon retread that, while having some solid black comic flourishes, is neither as conceptually diverse or funny.

It's easily out-classed by last year's Life.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
yeah im enjoying it, it def has the spacemen turn on eachother one-by-one trope but its good

its def connected the cloverfield though, esp to the early ARG stuff from the first one

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

pahuyuth posted:

Basically, the films have abandoned the idea of conventional continuity and instead opted for this idea of parallel narratives. The major implication of The Cloverfield Paradox with regards to the first film is that the monster appears in that universe as the result of the space-time continuum being hosed in a parallel universe 9 years in the future.

But more or less it's all unnecessary 'canon.' A more straightforward way of interpreting it is that the Cloverfield films are just the sci-fi version of what the Halloween franchise was originally projected to be, which is an elaborate 'anthology' series that's connected in name only.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm halfway through, and I'm enjoying The Cloverfield Paradox so far. You guys are pretty cynical at times.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

K. Waste posted:

The problem is that it's only a pretty decent Event Horizon retread that, while having some solid black comic flourishes, is neither as conceptually diverse or funny.

That was exactly my takeaway on it.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I just finished and enjoyed the Cloverfield Paradox and am looking forward to more. It felt like an indie sci-fi film or maybe a long Twilight Zone/Black Mirror episode with decent/good production values. It's not going to win any awards, but was a fun romp. Far and away better than Bright. RIP Tam, the best spaceperson. Also, gigantor Cloverfield creature!?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Paradox was fine, but a lot of the hosed up poo poo felt like it had no purpose beyond “lets show some hosed up poo poo”. I guess we’re to assume that Volkov was talking to his other-dimension self when he decided to try and kill Daniel Bruhl and that Mundy’s alternate self was controlling the disembodied arm, but none of it is ever explained.

It’s fine, a 6/10, but it’s really just a PG-13 Event Horizon with the few good parts of Life sprinkled in.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Also, gigantor Cloverfield creature!?

it's the mom of the original according to ARG

Caros
May 14, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Honestly, this is a solid warning as to why you shouldn't take a moderately well known brand and just completely poo poo all over it by taking unrelated scripts and calling them sequels. See Also: Hellraiser.

To this day it just baffles me how they hosed up Cloverfield. The pitch for the sequel writes itself. Another viewpoint of the same event, on the same evening, expanding on the lore and mystery, or the theory from the first film that there were actually two monsters running around.

Edit: Ughhhhh. gently caress this writing.

:) - "We've located the earth, and it is on the other side of the sun."

:hurr: - "Request a shuttle because the hack who wrote this doesn't have the slightest understanding of orbital mechanics or stellar distances."

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 5, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean the first ‘sequel’ was just a way to salvage a neat movie that got hosed over by a studio going under or something like that. It wasn’t meant to be connected.

Neither was this one. Until they added poo poo to it.

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm halfway through, and I'm enjoying The Cloverfield Paradox so far. You guys are pretty cynical at times.

It was cool halfway through. Then it got boring after the arm.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

succ posted:

Also, gigantor Cloverfield creature!?

it's the mom of the original according to ARG

What does ARG stand for?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LionArcher posted:

What does ARG stand for?

Alternate Reality Game. It’s basically interactive marketing, lots of clues spread out on several web sites with hidden messages and audio. Each Cloverfield movie has done one and they’re usually fairly interesting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Nihonniboku posted:

It feels like whenever a big new release hits Netflix there's always a race to see who can poo poo on it first.

For what it's worth I think The Cloverfield Paradox is alright. Not up to the standards of the other Cloverfield movies, but worth a watch. I can see why the studio scrapped the theatrical release because this feels more like a made-for-cable movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's better then Bright

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Junkie Disease posted:

It's better then Bright

Not even close.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'd definitely say Bright was better, but I liked both.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Just lmao if you think IT FOLLOWS is a bad movie

but I DONT KNOW WHAT IT ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Life stomped rear end.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I had fun with space Cloverfield. The arm made me laugh.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Life stomped rear end.

drat straight.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Life stomped rear end.

Life was so bad I was sad that I spent a buck to rent it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Life has by far the dumbest movie scientists ever written in the history of film. It almost comes off as an intentional parody.