Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh yeah I saw a really interesting paper on this in the International Journal of Complete Bullshit I Just Made Up.

reminds me of this

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~mbtaylor/papers/Taylor_Bitcoin_IEEE_Computer_2017.pdf

which is basically:

Pardot posted:

idk what everyone is freaking out about, price has barely moved in the last 180 days according to this handy chart

:pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lol nice

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's really weird to me that people worship currency or gold or cryptos or whatever and believe that they are the source of material wealth instead of human labor

you'd think puritan work ethic might translate into worship of labor, but instead the puritan work ethic is used to worship submitting to wage slavery

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

comedyblissoption posted:

it's really weird to me that people worship currency or gold or cryptos or whatever and believe that they are the source of material wealth instead of human labor

you'd think puritan work ethic might translate into worship of labor, but instead the puritan work ethic is used to worship submitting to wage slavery

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

thats funny because bitcoins are the product of labor, what do you think proof of work actually does!? it doesn't do anything, its just a computer asking for an increasingly random number that takes more billions of guesses

https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/face-value-bitcoin-proof-work-labour-theory-value/2018/02/01

Dmytri Kleiner posted:

Ironically, while libertarian capitalist theories of money can not account for Bitcoin, Marxist theories of money can. The face value of Bitcoin represents a certain worth in terms of the labour time embedded in the computation power used to mine it. The Marxist theory of money is a Proof of Work theory.

For Marx, the value of all commodities is not subjective, but objective; all commodities have a value that is created by the labour required to produce them. The reason that money can be used as a way to express the price of other commodities is because it represents a certain amount of labour, which is also what the worth of the other commodities is based on. As Marx states in Grundrisse “1/x ounce of gold is in fact nothing more than 1/x hours of labour time materialized, objectified.”

Marx illustrates that the face value of money is a rational number. It always represents a specific ratio. In the case of gold, Marx employs the ratio between the amount of gold and the amount of labour, the work:gold ratio. The value of the total volume of gold is derived from the amount of work required to produce it.

Take for example an economy that produces apples, oranges and coconuts, you could have a table of prices that lists apples and oranges in terms of coconuts, oranges and coconuts in terms of apples, and apples and coconuts in terms of oranges. You could not have a price of apples in terms of apples, nor oranges in terms of oranges, nor coconuts in terms of coconuts, or rather that price would always be 1.

If we chose to use coconuts as money, presumably because we’re coocoo for them, how many apples are worth a coconut? How many oranges are worth a coconut? The value of the coconut is its socially necessary labour time. Say that is 10 hours. Therefor a coconut is “worth” 10 hours. Say an orange is worth 2 hours and apple is worth 5 hours, the price of the orange is 0.20 coconuts (20 cococents), and the apple is 1/2 a coconut.

As coconuts are money, more are produced than are used, since once you use it to make a chutney, you can’t spend it as money, and you can’t save it. So its original use value as food is replaced by its new use value as money.

Yet, the value of a coconut is still rooted in socially necessary labour time, like the commodities that are priced in it, this is why it can be used to compare all the other commodities, because its value is rooted in the same thing: labour.

If there are not enough coconuts for the savings needs of the economy, demand for coconuts will go up. The exchange value of coconuts will temporarily rise, but will fall back to its value as more labour is drawn into coconut production, and away from the production of the other commodities. The market regulates the value of coconuts.

Money can express the value of commodities, because both money and the commodities priced in it can be reduced to a ratio of work to supply.

While the libertarian capitalist theory is not useful in determining the value of Bitcoin, Marxist theory is. Bitcoin does not need to be backed or collateralized in any reserve of useful commodities, but instead in the labour time required to produce it. Proof of work.

The Bitcoin software employs an algorithm that increases the difficulty of the work needed as more mining capacity is added to the pool to keep the rate at the current limit that is configured in the software. This means that while the face value of Bitcoin represents a certain worth in terms of labour, this worth is not consistent. There is no fixed ratio between work and coin. More work creates more LESS value, but instead of creating more coins with the same value each, it creates the same number of coins. Each coin has less value.

As more computational power, representing ever greater amounts of labour, is employed in Bitcoin mining, the number of Bitcoins produced does not go up, instead, the value of each Bitcoin goes up, creating a positive feedback loop. The more Bitcoin goes up, the more people are attracted to mining it, the more it goes further up.

The Bitcoin creators model Bitcoin as a kind of paper money with an arbitrarily fixed supply and therefore an irrational value, attempting to follow Austrian theory, rather than model it as a money commodity according to Marxist theory, which is regulated by the market.

While at first Bitcoin’s exchange rate was only of interest to the economy of enthusiasts who are attracted to its intrinsic decentralized features, eventually investors and speculators took notice, and Bitcoin become the purely speculative asset Tymoigne accuses it of being. The positive feedback loop quickly became a short circuit, and kick-started an asset bubble.

As the bubble grows, the capital gains from Bitcoin become larger, and exceed returns from other forms of investment. Investment portfolios will over time start to carry a larger portion of Bitcoin, squeezing out other investment options.

During a bubble, It becomes perfectly rational for investors to pay a foolish price for an asset if they are certain that it can be sold for a higher price to a greater fool. The exchange rate of Bitcoin become detached from the labour time embedded in the computational capacity of the mining pool and become underwritten instead by the supply of the greater fool.

This turns the bubble investor into a judge in a kind of a beauty contest described by Keynes as not being one where we choose the prettiest option, but where “we devote our intelligence to anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be.”

Like a game of betting on the answers of the contestants on Family Feud, so long as the investors believe that the average opinion expects the average opinion to be that Bitcoin will go up, Bitcoin will win the Keynesian Beauty Contest and the bubble will continue to inflate. However, the greater fool regularly has a crisis of confidence, which causes frequent crashes during the rise.

So long as exchange rate doesn’t stay below the cost of mining Bitcoin for very long, the bubble won’t pop and Bitcoin’s positive feedback loop will quickly begin to push the exchange value up again. So long as the capital gains are still better than returns on other investments, portfolio compositions will continue to shift to holding more Bitcoin.

At the same time, as long as the return on capital gains of Bitcoin are greater than real interest rates, portfolios will become more leveraged. Investors will borrow more and more, as the payment of the interest is less than the expected return from the Bitcoin exchange rate going up.

Hyman Minsky describes three kinds of investors, “hedge” investors, which have enough income to pay both the interest and principal on their loan, “speculative” investors, that can pay the interest but not the principle, and “Ponzi” investors, investors who can not pay either the principal or the interest, and depend on the assets that they own to increase in exchange value.

As returns on Bitcoin continue to be greater than other investments, Bitcoin will become a larger portion of investment portfolios, as Bitcoin does not pay interest or dividends, this means that the income of investors will go down as a result. While returns on Bitcoin are be greater than real interest rates, investors take on more and more loans. As a result, more and more investors will “go Ponzi.”

Every time there is a crisis of confidence of the greater fool, the Ponzi investors will go bust, as they can’t pay their loans, even after they sell off all their Bitcoin. As more investors go Ponzi, these will cause deeper and deeper crashes in Bitcoin, each crash will make Bitcoin a little less pretty, eventually Bitcoin will start losing the Keynesian beauty contest, perhaps to other alt-coins, perhaps to other investments completely, and the supply of the greater fool will dry up.

As the bubble bursts, Bitcoin will quickly become a toxic asset, with many holders wanting to sell, but finding few buyers. Miners will begin to abandon Bitcoin, and the positive feedback loop will begin to operate in reverse. Less miners will not mean less Bitcoin being produced, but instead the proof of work will become less difficult and the same number of Bitcoins will be produced. The value of each Bitcoin will fall. Eventually, falling to its “fair price” of zero, as Eric Tymoigne determined, or close enough to it. It will go back to simply being the in-game currency of libertarian capitalist fantasies.

The Austrian idea of money needing to be in fixed supply, drawing inspiration from “the gold standard,” is the undoing of Bitcoin. The coding of this bad idea into the Bitcoin software means, ironically, that the market can’t regulate Bitcoin. As more people invest in mining operations and the mining pool grows, the supply of Bitcoin doesn’t go up, so return on investment can’t regulate its exchange value.

Meanwhile, the bubble in the exchange rate of Bitcoin has made it useless as money. Price instability and high transaction costs have forced many vendors and payment processors who accepted it as payment to drop it as an option. This includes most of its most prominent mainstream supporters, like the digital distribution platform Steam or the payment processor Stripe.

As Bitcoin is still a relatively small part of overall investment portfolios, it’s impossible to know when exactly the bubble will burst. It’s likely that the libertarian capitalist bent of the community will actually work to delay this, as this community is a rich source of the greater fool, and probably is less likely to take on loans. We are very likely a long way away from a “Minsky Moment,” where a large number of Ponzi investors going bust causes a meltdown.

Not only has Bitcoin failed as money, but the asset bubble it has created has diverted investment from real production of goods to speculation, and the mining process consumes a phenomenal amount of energy, with catastrophic environmental effects. Meanwhile, it has done nothing in terms making the economy more fair or reducing the power of either governments, banks or any of the intermediaries it was meant to displace. There is no question that Bitcoin is a failure, a rather disastrous one, even if some speculators have been spectacularly enriched by it.

If there is value in the original vision of Bitcoin, to have a form of money that can be used to make payments across the internet in a way that makes government unnecessary and doesn’t reveal real names or physical location, it needs to be programmed differently. Such a currency would need to work in such a way that the supply of the currency increases when more mining capacity is added to the pool. This allows the market to regulate its exchange value by the natural increase and decrease of investment in mining relative to demand for the currency.

It is possible to create a cyptocurrency with a with a stable value by simply eliminating the feedback loop, creating a rational cryptocurrency with a consistent work:coin ratio. Bitcoin could be made rational by increasing and decreasing the number of Bitcoins produced per block along with the increase and decrease of the difficulty of the proof of work. This way, the number of Bitcoins produced would scale in proportion with the investment in mining.

However, there may not be much interest in doing this. As miners would need to choose to use their hashing power to make a standard rate of profit mining the rational cryptocurrency instead of chasing speculative returns by mining bubble-prone, intentionally irrational cryptocurrencies. Another obstacle would be get attention for it, as a rational cryptocurrency would not attract hype, because it would not have fantastically skyrocketing exchange rates.

Bitcoin was intended to be digital money for an ideal perfect market for libertarian capitalists, instead Bitcoin has turned out to primarily benefit bankers and speculators at the expense of the environment and the real economy.

For any that remain committed to the original vision of Bitcoin, a decentralized money that one could use with out revealing their real name and location, the path forward lies in creating a rational cryptocurrency, based on the Marxist and not the Austrian theory of money.

Yet, even with a rational cryptocurrency, it is unlikely to play a major role in the global monetary economy, given that governments are not constrained by reserves, crypto or otherwise. Even with a “gold standard” governments can still spend more by securitizing future tax obligations. Banks are likewise constrained only by qualified demand for their loans, not their own reserves. This means that the money in the global economy will remain government and bank money at the macro level.

Even if a rational cryptocurrency can not play the sort of revolutionary role that animates the dreams of libertarian capitalists, it can still provide a payment option that is international, convenient and privacy respecting, which remains worthwhile.

However, the institutions that would most likely create a rational cryptocurrency would be the banks or a fintech startup seeking to disrupt payment processing. While hardly heralding in a libertarian capitalist paradise, this would certainly be a better use of work than the misguided and harmful bubble Bitcoin is today.

fixed a word for the author because it's a insanely huge mistake to pretend an algorithm that grows more inefficient over time as more work is wasted on it some how equates that work is "valuable" or that the same product produced by more (increasingly inefficient and unnecessary and wasted) labor some how means the product is changed by the labor - especially when most of the supply in circulation was produced with the "more efficient" labor of during the early stage of mass produced hyper inflation

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Computer Serf posted:

thats funny because bitcoins are the product of labor, what do you think proof of work actually does!? it doesn't do anything, its just a computer asking for an increasingly random number that takes more billions of guesses

https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/face-value-bitcoin-proof-work-labour-theory-value/2018/02/01

fixed a word for the author because it's a insanely huge mistake to pretend an algorithm that grows more inefficient over time as more work is wasted on it some how equates that work is "valuable" or that the same product produced by more (increasingly inefficient and unnecessary and wasted) labor some how means the product is changed by the labor - especially when most of the supply in circulation was produced with the "more efficient" labor of during the early stage of mass produced hyper inflation

I'm banging my head off the wall right now as a form of labour. Why won't anyone give me anything in return?!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yah that article has a fundamental error. The marxist analysis that you can assign a labor value to a bitcoin is true. That doesn't mean it's a store of that labor value under marxist analysis whatsoever.

A cryptocurrency that doesn't have a fixed supply would still solve zero practical problems of society except fulfilling libertarian anarcho capitalist fantasies.

Fiat currency is the least worst system of currency. A lot of problems with current fiat currencies is generally because their allocation is undemocratically controlled instead of democratically controlled. It has nothing to do with the currency being fiat or not.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

joats posted:

“I think it could get stuck at this price due to regulations and lack of scaling,” he said—though he provided a much more optimistic view for an end-of-year goal if Bitcoin can successfully navigate its short-term woes. “Once regulations are in place and if scaling is achieved, then $50,000 or more by December 2018 could be feasible.”

“Bitcoin has now experienced a correction period that has lasted as long as most of the previous correction periods. From history, it may now take us most, perhaps all, of February to climb back to the all-time high,” Raphael Rottgen, partner and head of research at Q2Q Capital, said. “Once we surpass the all-time high, history tells us that the price may rally 50 percent [or higher] before going into another consolidation period.”

Thought this guys name was Ralph rotten for a second

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also the idea that you can "store" labor in an inanimate object or digital ledger is absolutely preposterous. You can only use these tools to allocate existing human labor.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
My argument is that below the green line, we are in crash mode that takes a pump to temporarily delay. And these are real fiat pumps in GDAX and the KRW exchanges. I don't know if Bitfinex crew makes money overall on them, but probably not much considering they also have to eat the real sells from miners at inflated prices. Pretty sure the exit is coming soon.

They also have to pay real money for Tether on Kraken, which while doesn't have a huge volume I'm sure they'd rather not.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Alpha Mayo posted:

My argument is that below the green line, we are in crash mode that takes a pump to temporarily delay. And these are real fiat pumps in GDAX and the KRW exchanges. I don't know if Bitfinex crew makes money overall on them, but probably not much considering they also have to eat the real sells from miners at inflated prices. Pretty sure the exit is coming soon.

They also have to pay real money for Tether on Kraken, which while doesn't have a huge volume I'm sure they'd rather not.

please stop being such a loving retard in this thread we're trying to have fun

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Alpha Mayo posted:

If we break the green trendline, it plummets IMO. If not, we bounce back to the red line.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh yeah I saw a really interesting paper on this in the International Journal of Complete Bullshit I Just Made Up.

Stop watching charts Alpha Mayo, you are not predicting anything.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 5, 2018

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

im the bitcoin physics

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I'm just here for the hodLoLs

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

itotally forgot people used to mine bitcoin on usb sticks

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

Stop trying to predict crypto markets, it's not possible.

This guy would probably match the best crypto analyst in the world:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I have carefully studied the bitcoin markets and I predict that it will be lower in two months than it is now.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Good news!

Sometimes reddit posts fall into our reality from alternate dimensions

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 5, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Alpha Mayo posted:

Instead of attempting technical analysis on the current market, please try to describe what factors have led to the sharp drop in price since December. Obviously I’m not looking for the one true answer, so feel free to include as many relevant factors as you can.

If you finish with that and get bored, please go back further and try to describe what factors have led to the severe price increase that took place between summer of 2017 and winter of 2017. Again, if there’s not one true answer, fine, so feel free to include all relevant factors.

History is already written. All data that can be available, are available. Should be a piece of cake to analyze those data and give a list of reasons why the market reacted in the ways it has.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

serious question, does anyone know how to actually access a stream of the blockchain transactions programmatically?

You can download the butt source. There's a c version and also a Java version.

I wrote my own code on Java because I was procrastinating curious. You can follow the Wiki. There's three caveats:

1) there's a BIP that changes the format over what the wiki says to introduce an explicit witness. This means your reader will work until some block and then crash

2) transactions are written using smart contracts; some are hard to parse and some are outright "incorrect" (until they introduced standard contracts)

3) some transactions early on are engineered to cause your parser to overflow. (There's one that says push the next 2^32 bytes on the stack, but there is no next bytes)

It's relatively straight forward. If there's interest I can make my code public (it doesn't attempt to do anything to the butt, just look at it, and may be simpler than the real,client for that reason).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The Bitcoin price is not falling our us currency and other fiats are loosing value paper is becoming less and less valuable,
The reason they are banned from certain credit card companies for purchase is because 1) a lot of people scam and buy crypto with stolen ccs and also some people are buying crypto and then claiming they didn't make a purchase 2) when the bottle bursts and when every one in the world uses crypto currency the big boys don't want the poor people to use credit cards to get rich off crypto

My little tinfoil thought haha ...and hey if anyone is scared of bitcoin and they don't want it ...please send it my way it can be your charity write off for the year ....lmao

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It is kind of better not to do the audit because it makes people more cautious. So if for example Tether gets auditied people might get over confident in it because the money can still be seized by authorities so the audit actually only gives a false sense of security and makes a possible implosion even worse because people were lead to be believe Tether was safe to hold. Also keep in mind that people are not obligated to use Tether, so if they dont like or trust it they can just not use it, so whats all the fuss about? If you are concerned for Bitcoins well being in the event of a Tether implosion well any dip in price will just be very temporary, so there is no real reason to worry so much about it.

TL;DR people who complain about tether are irrational

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Sentient Data posted:

The Bitcoin price is not falling our us currency and other fiats are loosing value paper is becoming less and less valuable,
"Success so clearly in view... or is it merely a trick of the light?"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

temple posted:

"Success so clearly in view... or is it merely a trick of the light?"
"Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Let's see how the cryptochats are handling the prolonged crash. I noticed they were excited as gently caress and celebrating at the rise about $9,000 so it's been the inverse of the rollercoaster of this thread where you are all lusting for crashes.

quote:

Battlemech7 - Today at 7:57 AM
People are screaming and crying? Lol. If you invested more then you could afford to loose you need to be removed from the gene pool.
Tesla Nguyen - Today at 7:58 AM
https://hapskorea.com/college-student-commits-suicide-mounting-cryptocurrency-loses/
Haps Magazine
College Student Commits Suicide After Mounting Cryptocurrency Loses
A 20-year-old college student from Busan committed suicide this week after losing nearly 200 million won in cryptocurrency.
Battlemech7 - Today at 7:58 AM
Bahaha what a loving idiot. Just wait a year and it will be worth more.(edited)
sloopy - Today at 7:59 AM
I'm going to loving scream into a bag
sloopy - Today at 7:59 AM
Ban me from this chat
bruno - Today at 8:00 AM
life is a bubble
xscn - Today at 8:00 AM
i highly doubt he took his life because of crypto
Crypto Puppy - Today at 8:01 AM
we are at fault
xscn - Today at 8:04 AM
honestly though, that just sounds like mainstream fud to me
xscn - Today at 8:04 AM
they love a story of someone who killed themself and traded crypto
xscn - Today at 8:05 AM
correlation... causation?
Battlemech7 - Today at 8:05 AM
BTC will probably hit 5/6k but by eoy will probably be back up to 15k+
Just rough start to the year
Just keep holding. Don't sell at a loss.
xscn - Today at 8:06 AM
why would you 100% hold if you expect 5/6k
Battlemech7 - Today at 8:06 AM
Because I am devoid of weak hands

Everything fine here.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Double Bill posted:

Stop trying to predict crypto markets, it's not possible.

This guy would probably match the best crypto analyst in the world:

Who knew the Kraken marketplace was run by an actual kraken.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm Johnatan Frakes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
life is a bubble

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Sentient Data posted:

The Bitcoin price is not falling our us currency and other fiats are loosing value paper is becoming less and less valuable

"The US dollar is becoming less valuable, and that is why it is possible to buy bitcoin for fewer dollars" - an economist

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Enchanted Hat posted:

"The US dollar is becoming less valuable, and that is why it is possible to buy bitcoin for fewer dollars" - an economist

Yeah, I saw someone go on a rant yesterday about how the volatility in crypto is nothing compared to the volatility of fiat.

I completely agree since I'm homeless due to a 95% drop in value making every dollar I own worth a nickel. My rent is now $12,400 and it costs $400 to fill my car up. Hopefully next month my rent will be 75 cents.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Enchanted Hat posted:

Wouldn't that make BTC/USD increase?

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

TraderStav posted:

no, hth

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're thinking in such limited fiat terms, embrace the coin where everything is up including red lines

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

bobfather posted:

Instead of attempting technical analysis on the current market, please try to describe what factors have led to the sharp drop in price since December. Obviously I’m not looking for the one true answer, so feel free to include as many relevant factors as you can.

If you finish with that and get bored, please go back further and try to describe what factors have led to the severe price increase that took place between summer of 2017 and winter of 2017. Again, if there’s not one true answer, fine, so feel free to include all relevant factors.

History is already written. All data that can be available, are available. Should be a piece of cake to analyze those data and give a list of reasons why the market reacted in the ways it has.
Essentially comes down to margin insider trading with Tether by the exchange which created it in the first place, beginning in May 2017. The soaring prices brought public attention (and money) and further fueled the bubble, lots of people buying due to fear of missing out. The immediate collapse from 19K was for the same reason any ponzi collapses, at that point the rate of money in was less than the rate of money out. And the long term collapse is due to the entire crypto system being a negative sum game, with prices inflated by Tether, causing value to leak out of the system faster than otherwise, especially to new miners who typically don't hold but sell to pay off the GPUS/ASICS they paid way too much for.

Prices wont stabilize until rate of new investors coming in matches the rate of money leaving due to miners. Which means all the 1000s of me-too shitcoins are going to have to become completely worthless.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

TraderStav posted:

FU YOU NOCOINER BETA BITCH! WEAK HAAAAAAAANDS!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

salt shakeup posted:

itotally forgot people used to mine bitcoin on usb sticks

Even by normal buttcoin standard this looks cyberpunk as gently caress with the lights and the fans and the little bitcoin logos on the sticks.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Have idiots stopped snapping up all the video cards to mine shitcoins yet?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The weak hands thing is the most annoying of all the bitcoin memes. "You haven't made a loss unless you sell" is just a mind-bogglingly stupid thing to genuinely believe in.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Enchanted Hat posted:

The weak hands thing is the most annoying of all the bitcoin memes. "You haven't made a loss unless you sell" is just a mind-bogglingly stupid thing to genuinely believe in.

what a time to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Burn baby burn, bitcoin inferno! Lowest it's been since...November?