Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think Carlos Monarrez is after Skip Bayless's job

https://twitter.com/freep/status/959476560041357313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this whole alex van pelt thing is really dumb

van pelt consciously declined to renew his contract he wasn't fired, he was angling for an OC job, couldn't get it, realized he wasn't going to get promoted in Green Bay, so left for another team where he has a better shot of making a reputation for himself as more than "that guy that occasionally talks to Rodgers while Rodgers does the miracle stuff all on his own"

he apparently didn't tell any of this to rodgers

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think Carlos Monarrez is after Skip Bayless's job

https://twitter.com/freep/status/959476560041357313

I like how even other Lions writers have started dunking on him for his dumbass takes.

poo poo, has Monarrez ever had a good opinion about anything?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

this whole alex van pelt thing is really dumb

van pelt consciously declined to renew his contract he wasn't fired, he was angling for an OC job, couldn't get it, realized he wasn't going to get promoted in Green Bay, so left for another team where he has a better shot of making a reputation for himself as more than "that guy that occasionally talks to Rodgers while Rodgers does the miracle stuff all on his own"

he apparently didn't tell any of this to rodgers

my sense has always been that rodgers really is not big on living in green bay (moreso than most packers players, even) and tries not to think about it in the offseason when he is back in cali or touring around other places

I could see this getting to the point where it keeps him from keeping up with the organization's moves to the extent that many other franchise QBs do.

between that and rodgers being a known social weirdo, I can imagine him just ~missing what was going on with van pelt somehow
but van pelt looks like a doof, so I can also imagine him not bothering to tell anybody anything

getting rid of van pelt would have been justified anyway given the packers' failure to develop backup quarterbacks
rodgers knows he doesn't need any dang coach - whatever qb coach they have is there for the rest of the qb group

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah my take on it is just outside not knowing what's going on with Van Pelt's career goals, it's also Rodgers is getting old enough where he prefers comfort and doesn't want to have to deal with coaching changes, so that's a big part of why he's griping about Van Pelt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I like how even other Lions writers have started dunking on him for his dumbass takes.

poo poo, has Monarrez ever had a good opinion about anything?

I think since Drew Sharp died he’s tried to take over as a master hot take artist, except Drew Sharp was funny and it was kind of a game to figure out if he truly believed his most trollish opinions. Monarrez is just awful.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

This season I kept seeing articles and posts off-handedly going "the packers have a reputation for developing great backup quarterbacks who later prosper" but that is clearly a holdover from the holmgren era

some packers backup qbs developed during rodgers era
brian brohm
matt flynn
graham harrel
scott tolzien
bort hundley

some packers backup qbs developed during favre era
aaron brooks
mark brunell
matt hasselback
ty detmer
aaron rodgers

this discrepancy merits scrutiny on van pelt, and frankly on mcadoo and clements too

I suspect rodgers is just a strange chimera and the packers positional staff did little to turn him into what he is
except the receivers coach I mean

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mitchell Trubisky will be rooming and working out with Jared Goff over this offseason in California:

http://www.12up.com/posts/5966437-mitchell-trubisky-and-jared-goff-set-to-live-and-train-together-this-offseason?a_aid=42217

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

my sense has always been that rodgers really is not big on living in green bay

To be fair, no one is really big on living in Green Bay.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’ve read different about Rodgers’s attitude about living in Wisconsin. Pretty sure he’s made a big deal about being registered to vote here and poo poo like that. Might have just been a fluff/propaganda piece though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Mitchell Trubisky will be rooming and working out with Jared Goff over this offseason in California:

http://www.12up.com/posts/5966437-mitchell-trubisky-and-jared-goff-set-to-live-and-train-together-this-offseason?a_aid=42217

WELCOME TO FORT TITTTTY

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Pops Mgee posted:

I’ve read different about Rodgers’s attitude about living in Wisconsin. Pretty sure he’s made a big deal about being registered to vote here and poo poo like that. Might have just been a fluff/propaganda piece though.

Minnesota has same day registration.

Just saying.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't know if he just is that way, manages to come off that way, or the media plays him up that way, but I wish Rodgers would stop being perceived as such a weird whiny jackass sometimes.
For someone at that talent level and who often seems like a pretty hilarious guy, man he earns his rep sometimes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rodgers has always come across as a weird super-intense guy who desperately wants everyone to think he's laid back

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Same. This is the first SB in years I'm not hosting. None of my friends are hosting either, and no one seems to care

I want both of these teams to lose.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

rodgers has always come across as a weird super-intense guy who desperately wants everyone to think he's laid back

you don't get that good at anything by being just a chill california garage-band bro

everyone knows this - he must know that everyone knows this

why he would want to pretend otherwise is a mystery

perhaps he is a space man

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Abugadu posted:

And Chmura was macking on girls from my high school at a prom.

And Darren Sharper, well...

Wait you grew up in Waukesha county :stare:

Chmura lived really close to me

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Wait you grew up in Waukesha county :stare:

Chmura lived really close to me

Yeah, and it becomes a little more alien of a place every time I go back there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Having second thoughts about Matt Patricia, now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, ask me how much I give a gently caress about the performance of Matt Patricia's defense in that game. Go on, ask me!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

alshon :unsmith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Hey, ask me how much I give a gently caress about the performance of Matt Patricia's defense in that game. Go on, ask me!

:same:

90% of my extended family lives in a 50 mile bubble around Philly and the Eagles have always been my second team

god I'm so happy

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I still hate Philly from the 4th and 26 game. But I was 100% cheering for them tonight and I'm thrilled they won.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Malaria posted:

I still hate Philly from the 4th and 26 game. But I was 100% cheering for them tonight and I'm thrilled they won.

It reminded me of the time the Pats were 18-0, Packers just lost to the Giants, and everyone I talked to said gently caress THE PATRIOTS.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LOL, I was so sure the Patriots would win that I didn't watch a second of the Super Bowl. I fuckin' missed out.

gently caress the Patriots forever and ever, amen.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

VJeff posted:

I feel pretty great about the next nfc north head coach giving up 41 points to big dick nick

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Abugadu posted:

Growing up in Sheboygan county.... same.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm glad the NFC North will continue to be the same as we've always known it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Case keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, lol Sam Bradford or new mystery option Kirk Cousins. You have something like $60 Mil in cap space I believe. What do you do? I'd say franchise Keenum and sign Cousins if you can. When I type or say that though it seems like a massive waste of 20 million or so dollars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Signing Cousins and tagging Keenum seems downright insane. Why would you possibly want to pay for 2 franchise QBs.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Yeah it does but it's one year and there's a lot of cap space so maybe it wouldn't be that crazy. I just don't think Keenum is actually a franchise long term solution at qb. Retaining Keenum and chashing after Cousins are different steps in the offseason anyway and I don't think they'll be going into that with ? at qb given the people on the roster now.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 5, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"who?" - halas hall employees

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Congrats to Jim Schwartz for being the first DC ever to allow 600 yards in a victory.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Abugadu posted:

Cheese curds never change though. Still amazing after all these years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If I were the Vikings I'd keep Keenum and Teddy

Unless Keenum wants gently caress you money.

The less money you spend on a decent to good QB the better your team will be.

Never spend gently caress you money on QBs in FA.

Unless like Tom Brady or Rodgers comes available or some poo poo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

If I were the Vikings I'd keep Keenum and Teddy

Unless Keenum wants gently caress you money.

The less money you spend on a decent to good QB the better your team will be.

Never spend gently caress you money on QBs in FA.

Unless like Tom Brady or Rodgers comes available or some poo poo

If you think the Vikings getting Cousins is a mistake, I don't know what to tell you. The thought of that team with Cousins is terrifying.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I’d be fine with any of them at this point (even Bradford). I think Cousins only happens if he signs in the low 20s because a lot of the projected cap space is needed for Barr, Diggs, Kendricks and Hunter (in that order).

They also need a new RG since Joe Berger is retiring, though I expect they’ll get that in the draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sataere posted:

If you think the Vikings getting Cousins is a mistake, I don't know what to tell you. The thought of that team with Cousins is terrifying.

Terrifying, but I'm not sure that team lasts any longer than 1-2 seasons considering how much Cousins would cost them and how many contracts they have coming up.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/minnesota-vikings/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/minnesota-vikings/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/minnesota-vikings/

Of course, 1-2 seasons is more than enough to win a Super Bowl if you're all-in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WHOOPS posted:

I’d be fine with any of them at this point (even Bradford). I think Cousins only happens if he signs in the low 20s because a lot of the projected cap space is needed for Barr, Diggs, Kendricks and Hunter (in that order).

They also need a new RG since Joe Berger is retiring, though I expect they’ll get that in the draft.

None of those guys are free agents this year. Anytime you see someone speculating about using this year's cap space to sign them is because the Vikings have, in the past, used excess cap space to "renegotiate" the last year of someone's contract as part of an extension so they can frontload the hell out of it.

e: you can pretty easily sign Cousins AND sign at least two of them to those kinds of deals, if you want to. Outside of QB the Vikings don't have any significant names up in FA this year.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah, i was speaking on the assumption that their past process would hold true. but yes, they could go all in on Cousins and pay him big.

• Locked thread