Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

Has it always been like this? Serious question as I’ve stepped foot in Atlanta one time. Has it always been like this or did Katrina make it worse or ?

Like living in Chicago I was privy to Pack/Bears, Cubs/Sox and Cubs/Cards and I cant recall another franchise being so wrapped up in their rival where they would do the things the Saints would do to bring things back around to the Falcons?

Just seems weirdly passive aggressive and attention neediness to me but totally unsure of this is a thing or if it’s the age of social media or if Saints media is run by 17 year olds?

They want to sell more copies of the newspaper. They probably sold a ton of the "Carolina has a new owner" front page one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

PostNouveau posted:

They want to sell more copies of the newspaper. They probably sold a ton of the "Carolina has a new owner" front page one.

Ahhh good point

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Has it always been like this? Serious question as I’ve stepped foot in Atlanta one time. Has it always been like this or did Katrina make it worse or ?

Like living in Chicago I was privy to Pack/Bears, Cubs/Sox and Cubs/Cards and I cant recall another franchise being so wrapped up in their rival where they would do the things the Saints would do to bring things back around to the Falcons?

Just seems weirdly passive aggressive and attention neediness to me but totally unsure of this is a thing or if it’s the age of social media or if Saints media is run by 17 year olds?

u seem...mad

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

WampaLord posted:

u seem...mad

You guys keep projecting feelings on me lol. Not mad at all. Honestly curious about this phenomenon. Seems even on twitter other fanbases are like ok guys this is getting weird so I’m curious if it’s always been like this or not? Not mad at all, it’s kind of funny.

Like did any other city bring back Philly winning to Atlanta in today’s headlines?

And really I’m more curious because if I understand correctly a bunch of New Orleans folks moved to Atlanta during Katrina and am curious if that has anything to do with it? I’m an out of towner so I’m honestly curious.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 5, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It was always like this to some extent. It was a little less when we were all in a division with the 49ers and they were trashing us both each year but otherwise I always remember a fair bit of poo poo talking to ATL since the mid-80s at least.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is where I was. I caught a small window of the game while at my sister in laws house briefly and I just couldnt find a team to pull for. Sounded entertaining at least so thats cool for those that watched, and Im glad the Pats lost, but Im pretty whatever about Philly winning.

We are now officially in offseason mode, lord help us.

LOL, what in loving christ is this?

The demon Brady has been slain, he was slain with the ball in his hands. I watched it loving happen and it was glorious.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

The demon Brady has been slain, he was slain with the ball in his hands. I watched it loving happen and it was glorious.

This guy gets it.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/960352531103801344

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
ITT fan of one team wonders why rival team is taking shots at his team, is confused

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

that

loving

tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Stefan Prodan posted:

you shoulda watched it bro

Ehh...I checked the score a couple of times. I just wasn't particularly invested in this one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

that

loving

tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

It's a good tweet but loses some effect when Brady has 5 loving rings already it's so annoying

I do love that brady botched that catch and Foles caught his for a TD. Was it the same play?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's a good tweet but loses some effect when Brady has 5 loving rings already it's so annoying

I do love that brady botched that catch and Foles caught his for a TD. Was it the same play?

Foles' was 4th and goal on the 1, so it was much more important. I think Brady's drop just led to a punt.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Foles' was 4th and goal on the 1, so it was much more important. I think Brady's drop just led to a punt.

Well yeah I meant the actual play that was run, was it the same? I wasn't paying enough attention to know.

It just makes it that much better for me if the Eagles see the Pats run it and gently caress it up and Pederson is like lol watch this. It's close enough that it doesn't really matter I guess because in the end it was a pass to the QB.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember that first week of the season when Buccs were gunna be great and win the super bowl yeah me too fml lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

basically, yes, except for maybe the fake reversal.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

LOL, what in loving christ is this?

Eh. I'm happy the Pats lost. I'm also not happy the Eagles one so meh :effort:

Joey Freshwater posted:

ITT fan of one team wonders why rival team is taking shots at his team, is confused

lol, fair enough. Carry on.

This is p great. Question. Did the announcers reference Brady's thumb at all for not catching this pass?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is p great. Question. Did the announcers reference Brady's thumb at all for not catching this pass?

Yup. They speculated he might not have been wearing the guard thing so he could make that catch.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

ahahahaha, I'm sure it was Collinsworth? :rolleyes:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Eh. I'm happy the Pats lost. I'm also not happy the Eagles one so meh :effort:

Congratulations consumer, Tom Brady lost the superbowl.

Ayyyyy ayyyyy ya ayyyyyyy I love enchiladitos

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Congratulations consumer, Tom Brady lost the superbowl.

Ayyyyy ayyyyy ya ayyyyyyy I love enchiladitos

You drunk Chili?

I am enjoying the apparent imploding of the Patriots. Reading up on the Butler benching, Gronk retiring, McDaniels backing out of Indy so maybe Billy is leaving? Their drama is somewhat soothing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Remember that first week of the season when Buccs were gunna be great and win the super bowl yeah me too fml lol

literally no one thought this. maybe 9-10 wins was the top end (realistic) projection. There were people projecting them to win the division with the caveat that it would be a surprise or that it was a reach.

fake e:

except for this guy holy loving lol

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...-winston-042117

quote:

2017 NFL predictions: How the Buccaneers will have the best record in football

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Record: 13-3

Wins: Dolphins, Bears, Giants, Patriots, Cardinals, Panthers, Saints, Jets, Falcons, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Saints

Losses: Vikings, Bills, Panthers

Spin: I understand that is an off-the-board pick. There is going to be a team that was mediocre to bad last year that is awesome this year. It happens every season. Last year it was the Falcons. This year it is Tampa Bay. That’s a big bet on Jameis Winston.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I believed in the Buc going into the season.

Never again.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I believed in the Buc going into the season.

Never again.

I was cautiously optimistic for a wild card. I didn't think they'd only get 5 wins but I wouldn't have been surprised or argued if you'd told me thats what would happen at the beginning of the season.

Jameis was hurt for a lot of it and played like poo poo as a result, then there was the few games with Fitz but yeah still.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was cautiously optimistic for a wild card. I didn't think they'd only get 5 wins but I wouldn't have been surprised or argued if you'd told me thats what would happen at the beginning of the season.

Jameis was hurt for a lot of it and played like poo poo as a result, then there was the few games with Fitz but yeah still.

You also got screwed before the season even began with the "lol wut bye week?" act the league pulled on you and Miami so it felt like the season was going to be one of those years before a snap was even taken.

I also thought Desean was going to go nuts, Howard too. That was surprising to me to see them really do next to nothing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every year is the buccs yer in my heart okay

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And yeah the hurricane and bye week screwed our momentum fml

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You also got screwed before the season even began with the "lol wut bye week?" act the league pulled on you and Miami so it felt like the season was going to be one of those years before a snap was even taken.

I also thought Desean was going to go nuts, Howard too. That was surprising to me to see them really do next to nothing.

I totally forgot about the bye week thing but I don't know how much of that can be blamed on the bye. They were 3-4 going into what would have been the bye week, beat the Dolphins to be 4-4 but then lost every game after except for the final game to the Saints. I think the DeSean/OJ thing can be attributed to Jameis being hurt and DeSean getting older. Evans production dropped too but that's in comparison to the year before, which was stellar. Looking at the two previous years to that they were more in line with this year.

He did progress each year, however, so this year could be looked at as regression.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I totally forgot about the bye week thing but I don't know how much of that can be blamed on the bye. They were 3-4 going into what would have been the bye week, beat the Dolphins to be 4-4 but then lost every game after except for the final game to the Saints. I think the DeSean/OJ thing can be attributed to Jameis being hurt and DeSean getting older. Evans production dropped too but that's in comparison to the year before, which was stellar. Looking at the two previous years to that they were more in line with this year.

He did progress each year, however, so this year could be looked at as regression.

Yeah, not saying that the season can be blamed on the bye week fiasco, more like the wind being let out of your sails before the season even began but I don't know how you all felt other than annoyed and irritated that you had to play 16 straight games.

It'll be curious to see how that offense does with Koetter on the hot seat. Evans is still a stud, and I think Howard will be too, so they are still concerning.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend worked at Adventure Island and Winston was there like every day for the bye week she said he would do nothing but go to the tiki bar then go on this one water slide nonstop for like six hours a day lol dude owns

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I for one am glad that Brady is dead

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

If Nick Foles was on the Falcons they'd have won the past two Super Bowls.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/960483847145230337

:unsmith:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ Saw that, that is very cool and very good.

Sent from my iPad posted:

If Nick Foles was on the Falcons they'd have won the past two Super Bowls.

If Doug Pederson was on the Falcons they'd have won at least last year. At least from what I am reading, it seems he did not let his foot off the gas. The play calling offensively down the stretch last year was horrendous and Sark has carried that torch through this year.

Matt Ryan was not the problem last year. Can't really fault him for the loss.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

You drunk Chili?

I am enjoying the apparent imploding of the Patriots. Reading up on the Butler benching, Gronk retiring, McDaniels backing out of Indy so maybe Billy is leaving? Their drama is somewhat soothing.

I'm actually high on life atm, yes. The sun seems brighter, the air seems fresher.

gently caress Tom Brady.

^ Saw that, that is very cool and very good.

If Doug Pederson was on the Falcons they'd have won at least last year. At least from what I am reading, it seems he did not let his foot off the gas. The play calling offensively down the stretch last year was horrendous and Sark has carried that torch through this year.

Matt Ryan was not the problem last year. Can't really fault him for the loss.

Ready to hear how they ended the final drive of the game?

Run
Run
Run
FG to make it an 8-point game.

It helps that it started from the Patriots like 20 because of a strip sack, but STILL THO

If anything I wanted the Falcons to be more conservative and not eat that loving sack.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2018

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I'm actually high on life atm, yes. The sun seems brighter, the air seems fresher.

gently caress Tom Brady.

Ready to hear how they ended the final drive of the game?

Run
Run
Run
FG to make it an 8-point game.

It helps that it started from the Patriots like 20 because of a strip sack, but STILL THO

If anything I wanted the Falcons to be more conservative and not eat that loving sack.

Agreed on Brady.

And yep. Exactly what Atlanta needed to do. Run, Run, Run, FG to make it an 11 point game. Celebrate. I would have been happy with kneel down x 3, FG.

Then to chase that ending with the final series @ Philly this year. NOW DQ is going to take charge more for offensive plays? 2 games too late bruh!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Agreed on Brady.

And yep. Exactly what Atlanta needed to do. Run, Run, Run, FG to make it an 11 point game. Celebrate. I would have been happy with kneel down x 3, FG.

Then to chase that ending with the final series @ Philly this year. NOW DQ is going to take charge more for offensive plays? 2 games too late bruh!

I mean, Sark did okay for never coaching an NFL offense before. They brought in help for him and I'm expecting the birds to come back in better form next season. I'm not saying I expect a superbowl, but I do expect a postseason berth again.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chilichimp posted:

I'm expecting the birds to come back in better form next season. I'm not saying I expect a superbowl, but I do expect a postseason berth again.

So, you're expecting a loss in the championship round? I mean, there's not a lot of "better" between "lost in the divisional round" and "superbowl"...

...not to mention the 2016 season was 11-5 and the 2017 season was 10-6, so not a lot of dropoff.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I mean, Sark did okay for never coaching an NFL offense before. They brought in help for him and I'm expecting the birds to come back in better form next season. I'm not saying I expect a superbowl, but I do expect a postseason berth again.

He did better down the stretch but man that offense fell apart against Philly. Then to drudge through all of it in a position to win, fade, shovel to 3rd string rb, slant (I'm ok with though MR needed to get more loft to let Julio carry his body forward) then the failed 4th down eliminating half the field while everyone slips and falls (not Sark's fault obviously).

I think they should be better as well, but ya never know.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

ulmont posted:

So, you're expecting a loss in the championship round? I mean, there's not a lot of "better" between "lost in the divisional round" and "superbowl"...

I expect a playoff birth. From there, who the hell knows. Too many unknowns from now til then and injuries will play a big part. At least we have the 3rd place schedule next year :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I expect a playoff birth. From there, who the hell knows. Too many unknowns from now til then and injuries will play a big part. At least we have the 3rd place schedule next year :shrug:

Saints: Vikings and Rams
Panthers: Lions and Seahawks
Falcons: Packers and Cardinals
Buccaneers: Bears and 49ers

Yeah, that's gonna suck.

• Locked thread