Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

~350 BTC buy wall at 7500 went down in 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Snap back to reality. Oh, there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Bitcoin, it choked

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
7300!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Alpha Mayo posted:

Essentially comes down to margin insider trading with Tether by the exchange which created it in the first place, beginning in May 2017. The soaring prices brought public attention (and money) and further fueled the bubble, lots of people buying due to fear of missing out. The immediate collapse from 19K was for the same reason any ponzi collapses, at that point the rate of money in was less than the rate of money out. And the long term collapse is due to the entire crypto system being a negative sum game, with prices inflated by Tether, causing value to leak out of the system faster than otherwise, especially to new miners who typically don't hold but sell to pay off the GPUS/ASICS they paid way too much for.

Prices wont stabilize until rate of new investors coming in matches the rate of money leaving due to miners. Which means all the 1000s of me-too shitcoins are going to have to become completely worthless.

A good analysis, especially inclusive of the market manipulation, investment by irrational investors, the effect of crypto currency mining on hardware prices, and the preponderance of “me too” scam coins that exist only to part people with their money.

So based on all of that, what makes you think technical analysis of present data could even work? Technical analysis of non-manipulated, mostly-rational markets isn’t even proven to work.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Technical analysis is only useful in that it might predict what other idiots doing technical analysis will do, but other than that it's as effective as homeopathy.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I would really hate to be the guy in charge of the North Korean bitcoin department these last few days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
up uP UP? :ohdear:

Guess that one guy can't buoy the markets anymore.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

1600 coins until the sixes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I was going to joke about water/computer memory, but that got me thinking about the hardware manufacturers. I'm thinking that if you want to make money on crypto, the best bet would be shorting nvidia once btc breaks below 5k

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

I was going to joke about water/computer memory, but that got me thinking about the hardware manufacturers. I'm thinking that if you want to make money on crypto, the best bet would be shorting nvidia once btc breaks below 5k
Nah. Their production is at pre-butt levels and the consumer, not bitcoin nerd, demand for cards is immense because many aren't willing to pay the inflated prices.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ah, I'd thought it ramped up. I'm guessing all the asics are coming out of random Chinese companies and aren't anything publicly traded?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Thread title getting real close. :staredog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

Ah, I'd thought it ramped up. I'm guessing all the asics are coming out of random Chinese companies and aren't anything publicly traded?

Nvidia said it was going to crack down on mass card buys IIRC.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The accumulated filth of all their fud and fomo will foam up about their waists and all the whales and forks will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

-tether

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Unfortunately I'll have to go offline for about an hour, and BTC rallies whenever I'm not staring at the tracker.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Oh, and just putting it out there, I still really want a bfl pitchfork/torch if anyone has any leads

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

wilderthanmild posted:

Have idiots stopped snapping up all the video cards to mine shitcoins yet?

For sale: bitcoin GPUs, never mined.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The more people that get caught holding the bag the faster this bubble going to pop. Now you have all the people that bought in from mid Nov to now starting to panic.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Whatever happened to Butterfly labs? Did they finally ship the ASIC miners they were supposed to be makeing or did it turn out to be the scam it looked like?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
FTC shuts down Butterfly Labs, the second-most hated company in Bitcoinland
https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6833047/bitcoin-conspiracy-theorists-vindicated-as-ftc-shuts-down-butterfly-labs

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

katka posted:

Whatever happened to Butterfly labs? Did they finally ship the ASIC miners they were supposed to be makeing or did it turn out to be the scam it looked like?

Someone correct me if If I'm wrong, but didn't it go like this

1) they take money from order
2) build the gear
3) delay shipping so they can mine from gear you purchased
4) ship it out when it becomes nearly obsolete

not sure how it all ended though

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Enchanted Hat posted:

The weak hands thing is the most annoying of all the bitcoin memes. "You haven't made a loss unless you sell" is just a mind-bogglingly stupid thing to genuinely believe in.

HODL to the grave

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Sentient Data posted:

For sure I would expect a drop in Intel, AMD, Micron, Nvidia, and Asus. Nvidia is a bit riskier since they are leading artificial intelligence developers. In other words, they are not propped up purely by crypto, but it helps.

You already missed the AMD short. It dropped about 15% since the Bitcoin crash began.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
lol I blinked and it dropped from low 7300s to low 7200s.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What's the best place to see bitcoiners consider eating a bullet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

What's the best place to see bitcoiners consider eating a bullet

My office because a bunch of coworkers husbands/boyfriends went heavy on bitcoin at the bubble peak.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is 7250 another wall of some sort? Seems to be struggling to drop below.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

bobfather posted:

A good analysis, especially inclusive of the market manipulation, investment by irrational investors, the effect of crypto currency mining on hardware prices, and the preponderance of “me too” scam coins that exist only to part people with their money.

So based on all of that, what makes you think technical analysis of present data could even work? Technical analysis of non-manipulated, mostly-rational markets isn’t even proven to work.

I don't believe in TA, especially with Bitcoin, completely due to the blatant market manipulation. Probably 95% of trades are a computer playing against itself, the human element barely there.

I only believe in this one trend line, which is based off a rate-of-decline that separates the market from being in "active collapse" mode and "steady decline" mode. Previously any dips below this line was a strong pump-signal to get it back above the line. But now the pumps are weaker and fewer in between. I think they want to cash in on the Buy order book on Fiat exchanges, and pumps are designed to bate new Buy orders at higher prices. But the market is collapsing so fast now that they might not even give a gently caress anymore.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Waltzing Along posted:

its where the SSJ 2 HODLers are stationed, its not even their final form

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Nah there's 1200 coins left before it breaks 7k, wait for the arbitrage bots to do their thing

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

If you stare at the charts for too long everything looks like a wall, imminent crash, or suspicious activity.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doccykins posted:

Nah there's 1200 coins left before it breaks 7k, wait for the arbitrage bots to do their thing

How can I see these 1200 coins?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

OhFunny posted:

lol I blinked and it dropped from low 7300s to low 7200s.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Close your eyes and push really hard on your eyelids.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Wassbix posted:

its where the SSJ 2 HODLers are stationed, its not even their final form

Now I have two reasons for reading this thread: Schadenfreude and Dragon Ball Z jokes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
China to bitcoin: look, just gently caress right off

wonder what that'll do to mining

this is of course good news for bitcoin, we only post good news here after all

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

https://bitcoinity.org/markets/coinbase/USD

mouse over the point of 7k in the second chart, click 'WTF' in the top right corner for more info

Welp, there goes 7250 :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone post the roller coaster gif.

It's below 7200. Lowest since 11/14 now. Woohoo.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Waltzing Along posted:

7250?

We’re at 7,125 now.

Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol because soon the thread's title will be factual again.