Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not sure I love the license board. It feels like if the sphere grid gave you the opportunity to make mistakes. Well, there’s always cheating if I gently caress it up

With two jobs now its really hard to gently caress up the board, especially early on. Because the licenses, even the generic looking ones, are all individualized they unlock across both jobs which can kinda undermine any sort of tough choice you'd otherwise have to make. As an example, suppose you have a black mage/monk character. Monk has two swiftness licenses locked behind an esper which you would usually want to take since swiftness licenses are really good. If you want to use that particular esper on another job well you're out of luck, except that black mage has a swiftness license that corresponds to one of those on the monk board. Since it will unlock for both jobs, taking it on the black mage board allows you to cross the gap on the monk board and take the second license without having to use an esper.

There are still a few things that you can lock yourself out of but I really, really wouldn't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ROFL Octopus posted:

The shikari board is uniquely terrible since you have to give up a ninja swords license.

So uh... I might've just done that to get Ninja Swords 1. Does that mean I'll have to skip one of the later tiers?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

So uh... I might've just done that to get Ninja Swords 1. Does that mean I'll have to skip one of the later tiers?

Skip the one that gives access to Ninja Swords 2 then.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Your Computer posted:

Yup. Probably the middle tier one so you can still have access to the super weapons. Daggers + shield is really good imo so I usually just sick with that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

RIP

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Terper posted:

Yuffie's the only teen in the party, and she's optional.

Unless you also count Red Thirteen :iamafag:

Elentor's LP was great because it showed us that Yuffie was the only Normal Person on the team. Every time the party goes through something crazy (which is pretty much the whole game), she's the only one who'd react like a sane person. :v:

Like the time the party sneaked into a boat, Sephiroth was there murdering everyone and the party wanted to fight him, and Yuffie's all "Hey, wait, don't pick me to be in the party!"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Avalerion posted:

To be fair though, any final fantasy where this isn’t the case? The actual combat in these never has much depth and it’s more about the setup.

There's depth to the systems in all of them, but the content is so easy that if you ignore it you will still win. To varying degrees, Final Fantasy doesn't require you to understand how to play them well. It's just that in a typical RPG, playing poorly means doing nothing but attack and heal, which is boring to do. It would be better if that didn't really work, or was consistently significantly slower and more resource-intensive than smarter play.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Hey guys FF9 is the bestest FF ever made just thought I should remind everyone, ok bye

:yeah:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I dunno if it’s my favorite, but the music is something really special in that one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cromch cromch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate 4, 6 and 9, because there's something to be said about defined character jobs as opposed to being able to make all of your characters murder machines via the junction/sphere/non zodiac license boards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I appreciate 4, 6 and 9, because there's something to be said about defined character jobs as opposed to being able to make all of your characters murder machines via the junction/sphere/non zodiac license boards.

Job classes are fun but by their very nature they can't inform characters and that's disappointing to some degree. There's something genuinely nice about a character's job reflecting who they are.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Pureauthor posted:

Hey guys FF9 is the bestest FF ever made just thought I should remind everyone, ok bye

I'm at the end of disc 3 now and the only good characters in 9 are Quina and Vivi, IMO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I've heard it said a few times that VI pretty much laid the groundwork for VII. Sure, everyone in VI has special skills but they can all learn the same magic so what does it matter?

I have come to prefer Classes/Jobs, though. That was part of why I liked Brave New World so much. I also just find that if I replay VII, I do a sort of forced class challenge thing because giving everyone Cure-All, Buffs/Debuffs, Attack Magic and whatever else just makes everything so dull. Maybe for a first run it's enjoyable but replays definitely suffer because of it.

I think X did a good job. Everyone really does have a set Class and you have to go out of your way to make them do other stuff. So the option is there if you want Yuna to be some physical powerhouse but that isn't how she's designed and it isn't exactly easy to go down that path. So you can have your Classes or you can have everyone be good at everything.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 5, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno if it’s my favorite, but the music is something really special in that one

It might not be everyone's favorite, but it is definitely the best.

Then again I'm a brokebrain who loves 8.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Job classes are fun but by their very nature they can't inform characters and that's disappointing to some degree. There's something genuinely nice about a character's job reflecting who they are.

I feel X did this with their weapons and limit breaks still being unique to each character. Buy it also helps that everyone will have a more or less distinct role for the most of the main game unless doing expert grid shenanigans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I feel X did this with their weapons and limit breaks still being unique to each character. Buy it also helps that everyone will have a more or less distinct role for the most of the main game unless doing expert grid shenanigans.

Yeah, X was basically a "everyone has a job (except Kimhari) until the endgame" game which is honestly a nice way to handle it. You never have to engage with it but the option is there. It does make the end/postgame feel a little same-y but to be honest that's a problem with a lot of FF games.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, X was basically a "everyone has a job (except Kimhari) until the endgame" game which is honestly a nice way to handle it. You never have to engage with it but the option is there. It does make the end/postgame feel a little same-y but to be honest that's a problem with a lot of FF games.

X would have been perfect if XP was shared amoung the whole party. As is, you spend every battle cycling through each character to take one useless swipe at the enemy, and it's pointless busywork.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In addition to clearly defined jobs, I really appreciated how X let you use your entire group in battles. So instead of locking into a party composition who can hopefully deal with whatever you come across, you can bring in the most fit party member as needed.

I suppose it did make trash fights a little braindead, since they were just games of “use your hard counter party member” but bosses are the interesting fights in these games anyway, I’d rather have trash that’s too easy than too hard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Games even in modern day not having party switching is mind boggling to me

Goddamn Persona 5 locked that ability behind a social link like 10-20 hours in that you have to seek out

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

X would have been perfect if XP was shared amoung the whole party. As is, you spend every battle cycling through each character to take one useless swipe at the enemy, and it's pointless busywork.

The problem sooort of solved itself in that game since you were encouraged to swap party members to react to their strengths in fights but I agree with you anyway, games where xp isn’t shared can eat me.

Also the only party member you never really “needed” in a fight was kimahri, so of course he gets a solo boss fight in the back half of the game, hope you weren’t ignoring him

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ainsley McTree posted:

The problem sooort of solved itself in that game since you were encouraged to swap party members to react to their strengths in fights but I agree with you anyway, games where xp isn’t shared can eat me.

Also the only party member you never really “needed” in a fight was kimahri, so of course he gets a solo boss fight in the back half of the game, hope you weren’t ignoring him

His fight roughly scales to whatever level you're at, basically a tacit admission by Square that nobody would ever willingly choose Kimahri.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Did they ever add a straightforward steal gambit to the 12 remasters? I know it’s pretty easy to work around it, but it’s sort of irritating.

I like 12 a lot overall, although the last time I played was four or five years ago on the IZJS version. I always liked that you aren’t actually that important in terms of the overall plot and you just have to deal with more powerful political/supernatural forces. But drat, Penelo is an incredibly boring character. Vaan’s ok, but Penelo is just a complete nonentity.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Did they ever add a straightforward steal gambit to the 12 remasters? I know it’s pretty easy to work around it, but it’s sort of irritating.

Please tell me how to work around it because I still haven't figured it out :saddowns:

Also, how does aggro work in this game? I've seen people talk so much about the jobs in terms of classic MMO "tank, dps, healer" roles but it feels like monsters just attack whoever they want and as such the role of tank is completely worthless? :confused: I did get the Decoy spell but it costs mana, only lasts a few seconds and seems to "miss" 9/10 times. Couldn't figure out a good gambit for it either.

Another unrelated question; should I be spending 18k on this grimoire or is that money better spent on getting up to date armor, weapons and spells? I figure it's either something dumb or it's something you want ASAP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like both the "Strategize around these set jobs" concepts of games like 4 and 9 (though 4's sequel is the only game to actually make this aspect interesting) and the "Be every job and wreck poo poo" aspects of games like 5.

BUT WHO CARES LET'S GET REALLY loving IN-DEPTH ON VIDEO GAME CHARCTER AGES BECAUSE I HAVEN'T BEEN ENOUGH OF A PEDANTIC DOUCHEBAG IN MY LIFE (p.s. I'm cheating and looking up the ages on the FF Wiki)

quote:

FF4: Adults save the world from an ancient sorceror

True. Fun fact, Edge is actually in his mid-20's and thus is older than Cecil, Rosa, and Kain, though he certainly doesn't act it! This also mean he's in his early 40's in the sequel, which greatly amuses me.

quote:

FF5: Teenagers save the world from an ancient sorceror

Borderline since Bartz/Faris are technically 20, but pretty much true.

quote:

FF6: Teenagers save the world from a newly-manufactured sorceror

Mostly adults. Pretty sure the only teenagers are Terra, Celes, and Gau. The other men are mid-20's or older besides Mog, who's probably around that in Moogle years. Only Relm and I'd assume Umaro are children.

quote:

FF7: Teenagers save the world from an alien

As stated, most of the party is early 20's or later.

quote:

FF8: Teenagers save the world from a far-future sorceress

Yep!

quote:

FF9: idk haven't played it

Three adults, two teenagers, two kids, and I'd guess Quina is a young adult since they already have a nice job yet have a coming-of-age story of just eating whatever random poo poo they find with saving the world as a secondary goal.

quote:

FF10: Teenagers save the world from an ancient sorceror

Borderline, with three teenagers, three adults, and whatever Kihmari falls under.

In conclusion, I clearly have nothing better to do in my life than get really passionate about Final Fantasy character ages.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Computer posted:

Please tell me how to work around it because I still haven't figured it out :saddowns:

Also, how does aggro work in this game? I've seen people talk so much about the jobs in terms of classic MMO "tank, dps, healer" roles but it feels like monsters just attack whoever they want and as such the role of tank is completely worthless? :confused: I did get the Decoy spell but it costs mana, only lasts a few seconds and seems to "miss" 9/10 times. Couldn't figure out a good gambit for it either.

Another unrelated question; should I be spending 18k on this grimoire or is that money better spent on getting up to date armor, weapons and spells? I figure it's either something dumb or it's something you want ASAP.

Foe: hp 100% = steal on the party leader so they can get in one steal attempt before the other party members get a hit in.

I dunno if aggro is that well fleshed out, enemies just seem to attack semi-randomly favoring the closest party member. If you really wanna get decoy going during boss fights you need someone with a gambit to constantly cast it to keep it up. Decoy + reverse can be a pretty funny combo if you can keep both going.

Grimoires are needed to get late game stuff from the bazaar but also will get you generally better loot. I pick them up asap as I unlock them.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I can’t remember exactly since it’s been a few years, but I think I made a “steal if enemy hp=100%” on the party leader, and then had the other members attack the leader’s target, or something along those lines. But it wasn’t really foolproof because you might not steal anything on the first try, but then other people would attack it, so you’d have to manually steal. There might be other gambits that might work a little better, I don’t know.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sapozhnik posted:

FF6: Teenagers save the world from a newly-manufactured sorceror

Didn't we just go over this? Most of VI's cast is mid twenties and older.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Side note I find it funny people ascribe Basch any personality in FFXII that isn't "Failed Samurai attempting to regain his honor." He has like... no interaction with Ashe, and plays no role in her character growth from realizing she's being manipulated and her hungry quest for power and revenge is pointless. Vaan has probably the biggest chunk of that role, followed by Balthier a little and incidental parts from Larsa and Reddas

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Something’s wrong with my brain that keeps interpreting “Basch” as “balthier” and I thought I missed some part of his personality.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Something’s wrong with my brain that keeps interpreting “Basch” as “balthier” and I thought I missed some part of his personality.

No Balthier helps encapsulate one of FFXII's themes down to a T. Running away from your problems rather than confronting them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Now we need a remaster of Revenant Wings

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

also lbr as far as 'teenage protagonist' goes, 18 is basically being an adult.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
now i have to learn some terrible minigame in ffx-2 called sphere break ugh

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Relin posted:

now i have to learn some terrible minigame in ffx-2 called sphere break ugh

Sphere break is math and the way to win is to just make combos of each round until you win the game. It only sucks when the grid in question wants to give you a 1 to work with (Shinra :argh:)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i met my quota at 21/20 before i ran out of turns and still lost

this game sucks dick

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sphere Break was my least fave part of 100% X-2 in one go. I am bad as hell at math.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

no trick to it, it was just finicky as hell. you could get it if you used one of those screen pens

two things about FFT on ios (and probably android):

Holding down on the screen goes into a precise targeting mode after half a second.

You can skim through menus by swiping up and down like the screen is a fat mouse wheel and tapping.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FF12 Zodiac Age fixed the disc speed altering which abilities fire first, so put Foe: HP = 100% : Steal on the person with fastest speed in the party and Foe: HP = 100% : Attack on the second fastest. It will always go in that order for the first round of combat.

Obviously if the enemy is immune to attack (flying vs. melee or paling) you'll have to manually do stuff but it's not that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

jesus christ you can't save in between the 3rd win and playing shinra this is so goddamn bad