Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Grey Hunter posted:

I've been painting some terrain for the upcoming Star Wars Legion.

These are store bought MDF.

This is a cheap Revell X-wing. a little small, but once crashed, no one will notice the difference.

These are super rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The fleet troopers are in the next wave of releases I think, scheduled for Q2 of this year. I pre-ordered the starter box, and I'm not planning on getting anything else until I've played it a little while. Of course, all of that will probably go out the window at Adepticon and I'll just throw my wallet at the FFG booth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Funzo posted:

The fleet troopers are in the next wave of releases I think, scheduled for Q2 of this year. I pre-ordered the starter box, and I'm not planning on getting anything else until I've played it a little while. Of course, all of that will probably go out the window at Adepticon and I'll just throw my wallet at the FFG booth.

Is there a Euro equivalent of Adepticon?

I've always just kinda been on the periphery of miniatures gaming, and Legion might be the thing that actually gets me motivated to like... go to my FLGS and play games, or maybe get interested in events.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Drone posted:

Is there a Euro equivalent of Adepticon?

I've always just kinda been on the periphery of miniatures gaming, and Legion might be the thing that actually gets me motivated to like... go to my FLGS and play games, or maybe get interested in events.

Salute is probably the biggest Wargames show, but the Boardgame expo in Birmingham is the largest event with more in the way of actual gaming. Then you get smaller local shows of hundreds to a few thousand people over a weekend. Warfare in Reading is a decent size and the biggest I have attended.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ugleb posted:

Salute is probably the biggest Wargames show, but the Boardgame expo in Birmingham is the largest event with more in the way of actual gaming. Then you get smaller local shows of hundreds to a few thousand people over a weekend. Warfare in Reading is a decent size and the biggest I have attended.
Or if you want to leave the UK there are dozens to hundreds of events on. Spiel Essen is so huge that you'll see it on the boxes of games that won awards at it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arquinsiel posted:

Or if you want to leave the UK there are dozens to hundreds of events on. Spiel Essen is so huge that you'll see it on the boxes of games that won awards at it.

Yeah, Essen is what I'm thinking of this year (I'm in Germany anyway), but it's more of a general board game/industry trade show and not so much focused on actually playing games (whereas Gen Con is just as much a convention as it is a trade show).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Drone posted:

Yeah, Essen is what I'm thinking of this year (I'm in Germany anyway), but it's more of a general board game/industry trade show and not so much focused on actually playing games (whereas Gen Con is just as much a convention as it is a trade show).
Irish cons are usually not great for wargames, but there's some chance that Gaelcon will have a tournament of Legion for this year at least. It's the far end of October though, so you may want to look more locally and see if there is a regular university run event or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What with the combat changes in the Rebellion expansion; should I plan on picking up the expansion along with the base? Or should I stick with the core for a few plays before expanding?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The former. I played it once before the expansion and it feels like playing Risk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Rebellion; CoolStuff has is down to $69.99 right now. Base game + expansion is just enough to bump over the free shipping threshold

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just finished paying off all my preorder stuff for Legion. Just going with Rebel for now.
I'm grabbing:
Core set
T-47
2x Rebel Troopers

According to distro snow troopers and Veer will be released in April and Leila and the fleet troopers will be out in May.

Sometime this week I will be starting a Legion thread. Just need a bit of free time to finish the OP.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Raged posted:

Just finished paying off all my preorder stuff for Legion. Just going with Rebel for now.
I'm grabbing:
Core set
T-47
2x Rebel Troopers

According to distro snow troopers and Veer will be released in April and Leila and the fleet troopers will be out in May.

Sometime this week I will be starting a Legion thread. Just need a bit of free time to finish the OP.

I am just starting out with a core set to see how I do at painting. If you know of any good painting tutorials, please put them in the OP. I hav a feeling this will be many people’s first miniature war game, and they may need help with painting as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Orvin posted:

I am just starting out with a core set to see how I do at painting. If you know of any good painting tutorials, please put them in the OP. I hav a feeling this will be many people’s first miniature war game, and they may need help with painting as well.

Sorastro's Star Wars Imperial Assault Painting Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xOeNhrVj9to2nKZjk5H8OAQbG9izBrH

That's the one you want. Guy is really good at painting and does a great step by step for every IA model

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

canyoneer posted:

Sorastro's Star Wars Imperial Assault Painting Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xOeNhrVj9to2nKZjk5H8OAQbG9izBrH

That's the one you want. Guy is really good at painting and does a great step by step for every IA model

He's also been doing a Legion-specific one too, and iirc directly sponsored by FFG.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I wasn’t aware of the Imperial Assault painting video. I had watched some of his Legion videos, and they were a little intimidating, seeing all the extra detailed stuff he was doing. The IA stormtrooper video felt a lot easier to someone who has never painted minis before.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Orvin posted:

I wasn’t aware of the Imperial Assault painting video. I had watched some of his Legion videos, and they were a little intimidating, seeing all the extra detailed stuff he was doing. The IA stormtrooper video felt a lot easier to someone who has never painted minis before.

Sorastro has a sort of progression that starts with the Stormtroopers in Imperial Assault and gradually adds more and more complex techniques. I'm not sure if it's intentional or he just developed more as a painter as he was going on.

Even when he starts using glazes and whatnot it's still fairly easy to follow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Orvin posted:

:same:

I get a Bob Ross joy of painting vibe from the stormtrooper one, where I look at it and think "I can do that" but the later stuff is a little intimidating

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Orvin posted:

Added a link to Sorastro's painting guides in the Legion thread OP https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849192

PM'd Ettin to fix the embarrassing misspelling in the thread title. Don't post before bed!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So far I've only watched his Luke Skywalker Legion video, but I liked it. He does point out several times ways to skip some complexity if you want to, which is nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have a finicky Imperial Assault question, it's probably answered somewhere on the internet but I'm googling with the wrong terms or something.

I have Jyn Odan with Quick as a Whip (after an attack targeting you is resolved, move one space). If I get defeated by an attack and flip to wounded, do I still get to move a space afterward? It's a skill, so I'll still have it after the card is flipped, I'm just not sure if the defeat prevents any after-attack triggers.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I don't believe so, no. If it's not something you're losing when you flip to wounded, then being wounded should not affect it at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I don't believe so, no. If it's not something you're losing when you flip to wounded, then being wounded should not affect it at all.

That's how I read it too, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. The way things played out yesterday, my game next week will probably have me relying on it as a sacrifice play to reach a door after getting wounded and dropping the requisite key. Or I could survive and have the extra action, this is a worst-case.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

ImpAss players: how do you organize your map pieces? I would love to make an insert but with the expansions these fuckers seem to defy all attempts at a rational scheme.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Zurui posted:

ImpAss players: how do you organize your map pieces? I would love to make an insert but with the expansions these fuckers seem to defy all attempts at a rational scheme.

I just leave all the map tiles in their respective expansion boxes, it's annoying having to carry six boxes around but I prefer that to having all the tiles in a single box. I also own pretty much everything for the game so I might actually be insane.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Everything from the core in ziplock baggies.
Big "feature room" boards.
Imperial indoors/Grassy outdoors.
Other indoors/Desert outdoors.
Indoor-outdoor transitions.

The other tiles are just left in the expansion boxes. Too much effort to sort them and carry them around when we might never need them, so unless I'm at home we're playing the core campaign.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Salastine posted:

I just leave all the map tiles in their respective expansion boxes, it's annoying having to carry six boxes around but I prefer that to having all the tiles in a single box. I also own pretty much everything for the game so I might actually be insane.
I've seen people use accordion file folders (like this: https://www.staples.ca/en/Winnable-13-Pocket-Coil-Bound-Poly-Expanding-Desktop-File-Letter/product_912343_1-CA_1_20001) and label the tabs from 1-5, 6-10, etc. Works pretty well from my understanding.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Zurui posted:

I use large baggies, sorted by expansion and by 10s. E.g. you can hand someone the "Return to Hoth 20s" bag and tell them to find tiles 23, 26, and 27 out of there.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I couldn't find a dedicated thread so I'll ask in here: What's the opinion on Imperial Assault, specifically the co-op campaign? I played the Castle Ravenloft D&D boardgame/RPG-lite game years ago and it left me a little cold so I'm a little hesitant to drop $100 on another game that might look cool but ultimately not keep my attention. Opinions on the skirmish game are also appreciated. The last game I played that seems similar was that old D&D Minis game from the early 2000s (before the abandoned the skirmish game aspect entirely and just made it a roleplaying suppliment) so hopefully it's better than that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The campaign mode is pretty much Descent with a Star Wars skin on it. If you like Descent and Star Wars you will like Imperial Assault. The skirmish mode reminds me of the best parts of the old WotC Star Wars miniatures game that built on D&D Skirmish's first rules, but without all the bullshit of random buys and with the added fun of command cards and somewhat customisable units that let you do fun stuff.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The campaign is great! It's best with five players, but four will do. I'd recommend that the Imperial player play a couple of skirmishes to get the hang of the rules before your first scenario. The learning curve is inclined.

All in all, though, the game really goes in on the core Star Wars theme and does it well. It's probably the best GFFA gaming experience I've had.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As for the app (the co-op campaign) it's pretty tight and works well. Make sure to look up rules differences, some units don't include their base abilities and friendly fire is turned off (mostly) and such.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If you play with 4 have one player take 2 heroes otherwise it becomes a bit wonky in many places

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Dreadnought Heavy Cruiser is canon again, according to the Rebels finale trailer in the lower left, underneath the cargo hauler (with the ghost attached) so I guess it will come to Armada soon enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's been canon since the Catalyst novel before Rogue One came out. Apparently post-war the Empire churned them out just to have more ships available for a while. Gave the impression that they are a bit poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Legion released here yesterday, but seems like it’s been out for a minute in other places. Anyone have any thoughts? My friend bought 2 core sets, an AT-ST, and a Rebel walker, so I think I’ll be playing this weekend regardless :v:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Legion released here yesterday, but seems like it’s been out for a minute in other places. Anyone have any thoughts? My friend bought 2 core sets, an AT-ST, and a Rebel walker, so I think I’ll be playing this weekend regardless :v:

Finally got my first 800 pt game in, and it's very, very good.

One of my buddies played Dust Warfare back in the day, and they say the core mechanic is pretty much Dust with a Star Wars skin on top, which means that the game is already pretty well playtested, though there are some changes. I haven't played Dust so I'm not 100% sure what the changes are, though I think the suppression system is new.

Suppression is huge in the game - each unit gets 2 actions a turn, but trooper units can get suppressed when taking incoming fire, even if the shot doesn't hit them. If suppression reaches their courage value, they lose one action and gain "Light Cover". If suppression doubles their courage value, they'll lose their activation, break, and run. If a Leader is nearby, they can use their Leader's courage to avoid panicking (but not to keep from being suppressed).

The starter trooper squads have a courage of 1, which makes pinning them in place with fire a big part of the strategy. It also means that keeping the leaders (Luke - 3 courage, Vader - Infinite courage) nearby is crucial to keep them in the fight and not breaking and running. It also means taking shots that won't hurt the enemy (Heavy cover / dodge tokens) is fine, because you can suppress them into near irrelevance.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m liking it so far, too. Vader’s fearlessness bubble feels right, as does him carving AT-RTs apart with his saber. I’ve yet to play as rebels, but hopefully changing that this weekend. The AT-ST is a murder-machine, at least until it picks up a few ion tokens. The snow-speeder looks like a lot of fun to play, too. Legion is everything I had hoped 40k would turn into, with a Star Wars skin on it (and without GW-tier rules).

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The Orders card that lets Vader drop suppression tokens on everything within range 2 is loving devastating. I got hit with it, and it straight up broke 2 units of Rebel troopers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That seems like what Vader should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up the legion starter. I normally play the "good guy" faction, but a wall of stormtroopers is almost too good to pass up.