Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

But what did the tap water taste like?

this should be the new “but did you get head?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jonny 290 posted:

the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

that cant be healthy for society

next up: twober

ride sharing sharing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schadenboner posted:

But what did the tap water taste like?

i had 0 complaints about SF tap water on any side of the peninsula

next trip we explore oakland tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

President Beep posted:

this should be the new “but did you get head?”

uber then yourself

(this is not a suicide request)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

next up: twober

ride sharing sharing

:cmon:

"Uber but for Uber"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

flakeloaf posted:

uber then yourself

(this is not a suicide request)

u wot m8?

President Beep fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

i did this 2 weeks ago but with quarter mile walks bookending a light rail ride. not impress'd

in the detroit area the public transit system is near non-existent.

in my younger days we would sometimes call a taxi (on a non-holiday, weeknight) and be given an hour long wait time for a taxi to arrive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you drive a black or silver prius in san francisco people will randomly try to get into your car

I took a taxi home from buying a new monitor this weekend, the driver was this cool old guy who's lived in the city since the 50s and I even used an app to hail it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

the point i was gonna make originally was that, at least here, all the bottled water bottling plants don't pull from the municipal supplies, they pay primo prices to rape our natural beautiful springs directly

then i realized i was getting into an argument about goddamn bottled water and dropped that angle :shrug:

what point is that, exactly. your municipal supply is coming from the same place

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 'hot springs' bubbling up into the pretty pools downtown in hot springs arkansas are like 93% gas-heated tap water and 7% actual thermal spring water, as is the lower federal bound for legally calling it a hot spring

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

what point is that, exactly. your municipal supply is coming from the same place

one is pumped directly out of the springs, decreasing their available flowrates and affecting wildlife downstream, the other is coming from a well sunk into a completely different far away part of the aquifer that has much less of an impact

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

one is pumped directly out of the springs, decreasing their available flowrates and affecting wildlife downstream, the other is coming from a well sunk into a completely different far away part of the aquifer that has much less of an impact

at fractions of pennies on the dollars it would cost taxpaying people who live here to do exactly the same thing, no less

gently caress nestle out loud, that's what i think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

at fractions of pennies on the dollars it would cost taxpaying people who live here to do exactly the same thing, no less

gently caress nestle out loud, that's what i think

i always thought they paid more to take it directly from the spring but no you're probably right :sigh:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

czeching their website it looks like they source from a number of springs all over florida and not from what tampa's using for municipal supply

which makes sense for commercially bottled water - the point is that i'd be more impressed about your local water table if they bottled a lotta coke and mountain dew and whatnot nearby, since that implies that your municipal water is sourced from a nice confined aquafer that provides water needing v little treatment for odor and color, the two most notoriously difficult things to treat

no it would imply the local government is very pliable in letting corporations take water for free

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i always thought they paid more to take it directly from the spring but no you're probably right :sigh:

hm that might be the case; i've never actually checked

also, in fairness to nestle all corporations pay the same pittance in ontario and it's only (heh) about 575% less than we pay for access to the same (admittedly, treated) groundwater wait gently caress wynne fixed that last year didn't she

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-water-bottling-1.4420158

Ontario is allowing several bottled water companies to take up to 7.6 million litres of groundwater per day on expired permits, as it gives them time to amend renewal applications in light of new rules.

Premier Kathleen Wynne last year imposed a two-year moratorium on new and expanded permits to take water for bottling, effective Jan. 1, 2017. That came after bottled water giant Nestlé purchased a well near Guelph that the small but fast-growing township of Wellington Centre wanted for its future drinking water supply.

As of Aug. 1, water bottlers also have to pay $503.71 for every million litres of groundwater they take — up from the previous $3.71 fee.

During the two-year moratorium, the government is giving bottled water companies a long lead time to amend any renewal applications so they comply with new technical requirements that came into effect in the spring.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

the 'hot springs' bubbling up into the pretty pools downtown in hot springs arkansas are like 93% gas-heated tap water and 7% actual thermal spring water, as is the lower federal bound for legally calling it a hot spring

they also smell like wet rear end

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:yosbutt::gas:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf isn't that every hot spring

our tour guide to the blue lagoon helpfully pointed out that it wasn't a good idea to touch the water with anything you didn't want to have smelling like a gas leak for the next month

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we used to have match fights in the big park with the hot springs

go into the Arlington, steal like 20 books of matches ("steal") then chase each other around flinging lit matches at each other

goddamit youth was fun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

tbf isn't that every hot spring

our tour guide to the blue lagoon helpfully pointed out that it wasn't a good idea to touch the water with anything you didn't want to have smelling like a gas leak for the next month

i drank the water at the fountain of youth in st. augustine and it just tastes like bad pizza

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

isn't hot springs a national park?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
just got back from stockholm. i'm v jelly of their awesome tap water

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960578803494879233

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one of my replies to her got fav'd by her this morning and i feel special :shobon:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all this discussion of tap water is heartening since hopefully it means yosposters are starting to drink water instead of fizzy drinks all day long to satisfy their babypalates, so good on ya yospos

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wasn’t this a plot point on Silicon Valley

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

that cant be healthy for society

go to the SFO departures level sometime

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
or even outside the context of uber, think about lots of places people gather and how many of the groups of people there all drove individually, even when some of them live in the same neighborhoods, because thats just how toxic our car culture is

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

pro vs con uber means using two existentially different concepts of the term society :hai:

the lucky privileged few vs humanity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

isn't hot springs a national park?

it is indeed. mainly so they dont raze the bathhouses for condos or stupid poo poo

e: just a little tiny strip downtown. the rest is poo poo dixie slum until you get to the lake houses

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's finally happening

we've been waiting so long for this moment

we're here

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:rip: bubble

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
AAPL's been flat so far today btw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

AAPL's been flat so far today btw

qfb for account sharing with that guy whose name i can't remember but he got banned for posting about apple stock all the time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
nah it's like the only reason why the dow took a hit while s&p isn't as bad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ArmZ posted:

qfb for account sharing with that guy whose name i can't remember but he got banned for posting about apple stock all the time

cremnob

also apple isn't tech bubble because they actually make things and earn a profit off said things

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah it's like the only reason why the dow took a hit while s&p isn't as bad

https://twitter.com/thadmoore/status/960610198552567808

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
djia is a really realy bad proxy for stocks overall (and an even worse proxy for the economy as a whole)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
reminder that the djia is literally just the sum of its component stock prices with an arbitrary scale applied. the sole purpose of the scale is to make sure that the djia keeps the same total value after a component splits; there is no per-component weighting, so a stock that splits 2-1 just loses half its weight in the djia. the only way the djia could possibly be stupider is if it didn't have the scale at all so that it actually tanked on every split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also bitcoin is crashing hard at the same time

did bitcoin crash the global economy, jfc