Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/960574616111583234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yah Spyro was a much, much better mascot platformer series than Crash was

I played Spyro 1 for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

this was already confimred in the ending of Odyssey when all the toads put hats on their mushroom heads

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who the gently caress didn't already know that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is shyguys mask his actual face?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Treasure Tracker on Switch when

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this was already confimred in the ending of Odyssey when all the toads put hats on their mushroom heads

Look at this idiot who doesn't have a formal hat stack.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Who the gently caress didn't already know that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the original spyro trilogy holds up really well, though i personally prefer the first one due to having less collectable bloat than the others. it's a more focused game but that's to be expected from a game that came out in an era where sequels had to be BIGGER and BETTERER. either way i'd love to see a remake/remaster of the originals

really i'm just a sucker for insomniac games. clicked with them way way harder than i ever did for naughty dog stuff. loved ratchet & clank too. still really want to try sunset overdrive, just haven't had access to an XB1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's a PS2 platformer but I have enough love for the first Jak and Daxter that I'd love Naughty Dog to get back into doing another one of those instead of more Uncharted. The sequels were bad though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

Is shyguys mask his actual face?
:nms: https://img00.deviantart.net/7022/i/2014/273/e/5/shy_guy_unmasked_by_m_thirteen-d80n01a.jpg :nms:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah im as puzzled as everyone else for the love crash has seen the last few years. Having nostalgia for crash is like having nostalgia for something like crazy frog, I've never met anyone who is 'into' crash irl. Just cringey overdesigned by a panel for the "youths" kinda garbage

That said I bet in 10 years or so people are gonna say poo poo like "remember Funko pops? Man they knew how to make toys back then, it's all shite now..." so whatever enjoy what you want i guess

E: Spyro on the other hand was a decent time, it didn't give me the same desperate vibes crash did in trying to be cool and the games were decent to boot

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 5, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I have seen more "adults" wearing reptar shirts in 2018 then when Rugrats was on. People are dumb with nostalgia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cursed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Junkie Disease posted:

I have seen more "adults" wearing reptar shirts in 2018 then when Rugrats was on. People are dumb with nostalgia

Reptar is loving rad though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I guess im from earth 2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Don't listen to goons, an adult wearing a reptar shirt in public is to be avoided at all times

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver Falcon posted:

No joke, Monster Hunter Stories is a really cute and fun game!

I just wish we could also get XX. From what I understand, there's not much chance of World getting to the Switch. I hear the PS4 can only barely run it as it is.

All the more reason to localize XX, I say! I mean the Switch is region free and there is a menu translation patch, but I want my puns, drat it!

I would go back to the PS2 models that they've been reusing forever if it meant them getting a Monster Hunter game with all of Worlds gameplay and QoL changes running on the Switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna get home today and play some goddam Dandara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD43u43P2LY

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Infinitum posted:

Gonna get home today and play some goddam Dandara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD43u43P2LY

eShop says it comes out february 6th which usually would mean a noon EST launch tomorrow but there's a pre-purchase button, does that mean it gets a midnight launch? haven't bought any pre-purchase stuff on switch before

edit: also yeah this seems dope and I've been looking forward to it. Also any Brazil goons who play it should fill the rest of us in because apparently there are a bunch of Brazilian cultural and artistic references in there

edit edit: yeah the Nintendo site confirms that prepurchases unlock at midnight ET. cool, I'll check it out tonight

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 5, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

goferchan posted:

eShop says it comes out february 6th which usually would mean a noon EST launch tomorrow but there's a pre-purchase button, does that mean it gets a midnight launch? haven't bought any pre-purchase stuff on switch before

edit: also yeah this seems dope and I've been looking forward to it. Also any Brazil goons who play it should fill the rest of us in because apparently there are a bunch of Brazilian cultural and artistic references in there

edit edit: yeah the Nintendo site confirms that prepurchases unlock at midnight ET. cool, I'll check it out tonight

Also seems to be a discount if you preorder, looks like 20% off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah doesn't sound like my jam at all

I'd put it closer to a walking simulator like Tacoma or something, with maybe a hint of Life is Strange thrown in. It has the "you can't really lose" of a walking sim, but the dialogue options of LiS and such. On top of just having very "too real" writing. If those kinds of things aren't your jam you won't really get into NITW. It easily by a huge margin my favorite game last year

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
I thought Dragon Quest Builders looked really dumb, but I played the demo and found out I was wrong about it. I'm excited to get high af and zone out with it on Friday!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I tried the DQ Builders demo, built some buildings, collected some resources... I can't tell if I like it or not. Is there ever anything like a tower defense element to it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bungbroy posted:

I thought Dragon Quest Builders looked really dumb, but I played the demo and found out I was wrong about it. I'm excited to get high af and zone out with it on Friday!

I played the demo and had a bit of a mixed reaction. It seems fun enough, I think I'm just bored of voxel building games, even one that gives your buildings an actual purpose. There wasn't anything really bad about it though, just probably not the game for me.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 5, 2018

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got a little rant I've been wanting to get off my chest. I bought a 3ds and it was easily one of the best purchases I've made. I used it for playing games in bed in those hours or two I wanted to relax before sleep and it worked perfectly for that. Really great library of games and I practically lived Animal Crossing for a year. So I got a Switch early this January and I'm already loving it as much as the 3ds. Zelda was perfect for settling down for the night and exploring that world. Then I hit my first Device Shrine. You have to move the Switch around to maneuver platforms around. So I started off in bed propped up by a reading pillow and suddenly doing yoga poses. loving hanging upside down off the edge of my bed to get this goddamn ball rolling where I need it to go. God help the person on a bus or in a hospital bed that gets hit with this poo poo. I looked at the options thinking surely, surely, there was an analog stick control for this, but nope. I looked up online to see if I can find anyone else with this problem and found out you can unhook the joycons to have an easier time of it. Even then I probably looked like an invisible wrestler had me in a shoulder popping arm lock. But I managed. Until I found more Device Shrines.

I got Mario Odyssey a few days ago and here it goes again. Great game, but whenever the control tutorials popped up it would show detached joycon instructions. No problem. I'll just use the alternate controls. Then there's no alternate controls for homing throws. Why not? I don't know. I guess I'll manage without them. Then I get to a circle of flowers. I have to throw my hat around me to hit them all quickly. I also need this when surrounded by enemies. Again, no alternative but to have the joycons in hand as if you were on a tv or in tabletop mode. I look it up, because this can't be right. There is a very poor alternative to the circle throw that will probably get you killed. No alternative to homing. This in a game that has four loving redundant buttons. Just like having to shake the Wiimote to make Donkey Kong roll, they purposefully left you with no other choice. Why? Especially in a console who's big selling point is you can play it on the go. Why do they keep doing this? Are motion control some feature that everyone loves and I don't know it? Why are they so insistent to the point of forcing you to use it? Are all first party Nintendo games going to do this?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I would have never thought I’d get into the interactive story genre, but after enjoying Gone Home after picking it up for Xbox when it was free and now really digging NitW I want to look more into other games in the same vein.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The motion controls in Odyssey are pretty fun but not at all necessary to play the game. I just don't do fancy hat throws when I'm playing mobile.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I tried the DQ Builders demo, built some buildings, collected some resources... I can't tell if I like it or not. Is there ever anything like a tower defense element to it?

Based on my PS4 playthrough:

Occasionally small groups of monsters will attack your town and you'll have to defend it alongside your townspeople, but it's not strictly like tower defense, just a battle taking place in your town. The enemies can mess up your walls and stuff, and how you build your town can help or hinder you. Very mild boss spoilers: There are also boss fights in your town. These tend to be quite destructive, but the damage is reversed after.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The motion controls shrines in Breath of the Wild can also be done by detaching the joycons and just spinning one joycon around.

Or just skipping them. There's over a hundred of them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Detective No. 27 posted:

The motion controls shrines in Breath of the Wild can also be done by detaching the joycons and just spinning one joycon around.

Or just skipping them. There's over a hundred of them.

It was easier for me to do the ball maze shrine in portable mode with the joycons attached honestly, if you so much as looked at the one joycon funny with detached joycons I felt like the ball would go flying.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Pug Rodeo posted:

I would have never thought I’d get into the interactive story genre, but after enjoying Gone Home after picking it up for Xbox when it was free and now really digging NitW I want to look more into other games in the same vein.

Not Switch, but I'd recommend Life is Strange, my favourite interactive story game. My second favourite is Telltale's Borderlands, which is the funniest and best thing they've ever done.

Oxenfree was a good enough, but I thought it ran poorly on PS4 and the Switch is apparently just as bad. Stutters and long loads if that's a deal breaker.

I'm looking forward to NitW a lot, it's downloading right now.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm going to try to get into Oxenfree again, but the first time I bounced off it because I immediately hated the two men.

E: Also Crash was better than Spyro, but they aren't the same kind of game. Don't @ me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I loved the heck out of the DQ Builders demo but honestly I'd feel a bit weird about spending $50 or whatever on it when the sequel is coming out in a few months.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Flubby posted:

I got a little rant I've been wanting to get off my chest. I bought a 3ds and it was easily one of the best purchases I've made. I used it for playing games in bed in those hours or two I wanted to relax before sleep and it worked perfectly for that. Really great library of games and I practically lived Animal Crossing for a year. So I got a Switch early this January and I'm already loving it as much as the 3ds. Zelda was perfect for settling down for the night and exploring that world. Then I hit my first Device Shrine. You have to move the Switch around to maneuver platforms around. So I started off in bed propped up by a reading pillow and suddenly doing yoga poses. loving hanging upside down off the edge of my bed to get this goddamn ball rolling where I need it to go. God help the person on a bus or in a hospital bed that gets hit with this poo poo. I looked at the options thinking surely, surely, there was an analog stick control for this, but nope. I looked up online to see if I can find anyone else with this problem and found out you can unhook the joycons to have an easier time of it. Even then I probably looked like an invisible wrestler had me in a shoulder popping arm lock. But I managed. Until I found more Device Shrines.

I got Mario Odyssey a few days ago and here it goes again. Great game, but whenever the control tutorials popped up it would show detached joycon instructions. No problem. I'll just use the alternate controls. Then there's no alternate controls for homing throws. Why not? I don't know. I guess I'll manage without them. Then I get to a circle of flowers. I have to throw my hat around me to hit them all quickly. I also need this when surrounded by enemies. Again, no alternative but to have the joycons in hand as if you were on a tv or in tabletop mode. I look it up, because this can't be right. There is a very poor alternative to the circle throw that will probably get you killed. No alternative to homing. This in a game that has four loving redundant buttons. Just like having to shake the Wiimote to make Donkey Kong roll, they purposefully left you with no other choice. Why? Especially in a console who's big selling point is you can play it on the go. Why do they keep doing this? Are motion control some feature that everyone loves and I don't know it? Why are they so insistent to the point of forcing you to use it? Are all first party Nintendo games going to do this?

Because sometimes Nintendo wants you to get off your lazy rear end and try something new.

Also, kids like motion controls.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

If activision announced crash for switch thered be 800 posts in here about how to clean jizz off of amfilm glass

No there wouldn't. I genuinely didn't understand the excitement for the PS4 ports and I hope whatever poor souls were excited for them have already been able to work through their misguided nostalgia. And can now move on to any of the many, many, excellent platformers available on the Switch.

Crash Bandicoot is one series that would not be perfect for the Switch

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Flubby posted:

of the 850+ moons I got in mario odyssey I think literally only one forced me to use motion controls and that was just to make the frog jump a little higher

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm going to try to get into Oxenfree again, but the first time I bounced off it because I immediately hated the two men.

E: Also Crash was better than Spyro, but they aren't the same kind of game. Don't @ me.

Ren is a garbage bag, but Jonah is trying his best.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm trying to transfer my poo poo to a new SD card and I'm doing something wrong. I've tried formatting the new one with the official SD card formatter, with Mac OS's built-in diskutil to FAT32, some tool called Tuxera Disk Manager to NTFS, and the formatter built into the Switch itself. The files from the old SD card I've copied to my Macbook, which I then copied to the new SD card after formatting.

None of it's worked, although it's failed in different ways. Sometimes the SD card simply isn't recognized as being present at all, sometimes the Switch complains immediately that there's something wrong with the SD card, sometimes it just says there's an error with a game (that would be on the SD card) when I try to launch it.

Has anyone here done this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cicero posted:

I'm trying to transfer my poo poo to a new SD card and I'm doing something wrong. I've tried formatting the new one with the official SD card formatter, with Mac OS's built-in diskutil to FAT32, some tool called Tuxera Disk Manager to NTFS, and the formatter built into the Switch itself. The files from the old SD card I've copied to my Macbook, which I then copied to the new SD card after formatting.

None of it's worked, although it's failed in different ways. Sometimes the SD card simply isn't recognized as being present at all, sometimes the Switch complains immediately that there's something wrong with the SD card, sometimes it just says there's an error with a game (that would be on the SD card) when I try to launch it.

Has anyone here done this before?

Did you buy it on Amazon from third party?

• Locked thread