Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

baw posted:

Christo made this one near where we live and it was awesome

I thought that killed someone as well, but it turns out they fell in the lake and drowned while planning to go there. I don't think that counts.

http://www.ilgiornale.it/news/cronache/sul-lago-diseo-passerelle-christo-turista-cade-nel-lago-e-1276384.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I thought that killed someone as well, but it turns out they fell in the lake and drowned while planning to go there. I don't think that counts.

http://www.ilgiornale.it/news/cronache/sul-lago-diseo-passerelle-christo-turista-cade-nel-lago-e-1276384.html

Poor Freckles, thought of art and died.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

Don't post burn victims.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't a load of the Dragon Age II developers get tattoos? And did a load of them get laid off soon after?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I think that was the group that worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Fantastic Flyer posted:

I think that was the group that worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic.

yeah they all got dragon age tatoos

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Here's the TOR tattoos, but I'm not so sure about DA2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
TOR was about 8 really good single player campaigns that eventually smashed into one lackluster campaign at the end.

The Light Side Sith Warrior campaign never got old.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Congratulations guys those all look like fascist logos.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Data Graham posted:

Congratulations guys those all look like fascist logos.

https://twitter.com/philgreaves01/status/942709261347500032

This hot take courtesy of tankie twitter

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Guys, this is the Schadenfreude thread, the awful tattoo thread is over here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772428

Wait, nevermind. People actually got those tattoos, which is shaden enough for me.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Some Most of these look like they were drawn with sharpies.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fantastic Flyer posted:

drat, that guy on the upper left is a hardcore supporter.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the stock market is crashing

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

the stock market is crashing

Dow Plunges 1,175, The Biggest Point Drop In History

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/05/583325123/stocks-extend-losses-with-dow-dropping-more-than-300-points-at-the-open

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is there any comparison to the 1929 crash?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Also are any Wall Street people jumping out windows?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Not even vaguely. This is the largest numerical drop in history, but percentage wise it doesn't even crack the top 20 or so.

If it had fallen 7% they'd have shut down trading, largely to prevent a panic like '29

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

Market participants were focused on the threat of higher inflation after Friday's jobs report showed a pickup in wages, which portends more interest rate increases from the Federal Reserve.

Analysts suggest that program trading caused the wild sell-off, NPR's John Ydstie reported. "As quickly as the market fell, it recovered much of the ground it had lost as investors remembered the economy and corporate earnings remain strong," he added.

So...no.

Wages going up is what happens when you finally start to beat unemployment and employers have to start competing with each other to attract workers. Since that can lead to inflation, the monetarists at the Fed might raise interest rates to fight it. If interest rates go up, borrowing money gets more expensive so businesses don't borrow as much and people don't spend as much.

The stock market has been pretty effectively divorced from the actual performance of the underlying asset for a while now. Steve Eisman, the guy who made mad bank shorting CDOs? He eventually closed his hedge fund, saying "making investment decisions by looking solely at the fundamentals of individual companies is no longer a viable investment philosophy," and he was entirely correct.

But the underlying point here is that the fact that employers are finally raising wages, which have been essentially flat for *decades*, and that real household income is increasing, because enough people are employed that employers need to do that in order to attract workers, is a fundamentally healthy thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fun tidbit from the DVD commentary: they originally wanted the "other burn ward" sign to read "pediatric burn ward", but they either decided that was a bridge too far or the powers that be wouldn't let them do it. I don't recall which.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

I was waiting for the vomiting to start but no, he just died :(

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/eqMF15r.gifv

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ryder: Dedicated to all the insurance payouts we just drove our way into.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I don't think I would have had the presence of mind to duck under my door in that situation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fantastic Flyer posted:

I don't think I would have had the presence of mind to duck under my door in that situation.

I'm not so sure she did either. Looking at her legs, she had a very lucky slip.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it doesn't look like they did either, just flailing wildly while exiting the vehicle

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Kurieg posted:

Ryder: Dedicated to all the insurance payouts we just drove our way into.

Umm... Ryder is a rental company. Im pretty sure they arent liable for poo poo people do with their stuff once they drive off the lot.

I mean, just because their truck is used in a horrible tragedy doesn't mean the corporation is out to kill children and take down the federal government.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not so sure she did either. Looking at her legs, she had a very lucky slip.

Oh yeah, she got insanely lucky there.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
lol, banned from the UCB after multiple rape allegations.

quote:

Glaser had previously sued comic Jasmine Pierce for $38 million after she’d referred to him as a “rapist” on social media; his suit accused Pierce, who is African-American, of attempting to “cyber lynch” him. 

gently caress you buddy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e - accidental emptyquote. The one thing I wish I could disable from the chrome forum enhancement.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's like, the worst thing she could have done there. Never a good idea to leave your insanely well engineered passenger car cabin to brave things on foot.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Enos Cabell posted:

That's like, the worst thing she could have done there. Never a good idea to leave your insanely well engineered passenger car cabin to brave things on foot.

She didn’t even have a coat on!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

in general this line of thought is good but wedged between two semis is not somewhere you wanna be

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When she noticed the semi coming up on her over her shoulder (not the mirrors, because her car is askew rendering them useless) she probably couldn't anticipate whether it was going to be an offset hit like it was, or a direct hit that could have turbofucked her even in the passenger cabin (but probably not). It was most likely a quick glance after her wreck, then a second pause while the reptile part of her brain went "oh gently caress Oh gently caress OHFUCKOHFUCK" and she made a move.

I'm not praising it, but not condemning it, either. No blame given based on the circumstances. Just a bad situation all around. And the way her car whipped back into the cab of the semi, she probably avoided quite a bit of lateral g's and injury to her head/neck from the snapping and hitting the glass.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Enos Cabell posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but those are some extraordinary circumstances; it's a lateral strike, and the car's been held in place by an anvil so there's no shock absorption, just compression, and she sees it coming a long way away. If the moving truck wasn't able to veer, or was two feet to the left, I'm not sure staying put would have been good odds. It's like bailing out of your car which is stuck on a train crossing.

edit: In retrospect, the car was just shaken a bit and she'd have been much safer inside it rather than risk getting hit by debris. As above poster said, it's kinda hard to commend or condemn her reaction.

Serephina has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, I can't say I wouldn't have had the same ":stonk: TIME TO GO" reaction. Ill-advised, certainly, but seeing an out of control semi coming towards you does things to your brain.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Showing this to everyone who asks me if I can put a tree in an impossible direction with a rope and a chainsaw

Why not run to the side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_end posted:

Why not run to the side?

How he not dead? What was that red rope for? Ack