Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the problem is people who blindly follow lowest-risk grind guides and "play" Elite for a thousand hours by mission board flipping their way to the big 3 and then complain that the game is too easy.

Spatial posted:

Mission timers are pointless. Why are they in the game?

It would be okay if they only counted down while playing but instead you get the worst combination possible: zero challenge because you have tens of hours, but still low enough to penalise you if real life intervenes and you can't play until the day after.

Nothing in this game makes any sense

When I started out I would load up on 7-10 24hr data courier missions the night before so that I would have to hurry to turn everything in during my hour or two of gametime the next night.

You are responsible for your own experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was interdicted during a jump by a thargoid last night, that was pretty scary.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

I think the problem is people who blindly follow lowest-risk grind guides and "play" Elite for a thousand hours by mission board flipping their way to the big 3 and then complain that the game is too easy.

When I started out I would load up on 7-10 24hr data courier missions the night before so that I would have to hurry to turn everything in during my hour or two of gametime the next night.

You are responsible for your own experience.

The first thing you bring up is entirely unrelated to the mission timers though - that’s through and through a bad design decision. I’m half way in your camp because I think the game has bad balance for progression beyond vulture level, but framing it as “:smug: it’s your fault you aren’t having fun” isn’t what’s right here.

To torture an analogy a little bit, Frontier handed us a deflated ball. You turned it into a frisbee and are having fun which is fine except a bunch of people got promised soccer and are kinda frustrated now that they can’t play soccer. That’s not their fault.

Not to mention that you having to wait just to make the timers matter is more evidence they’re really dumb mechanically. I’ve done things in game with self-imposed restrictions and I absolutely think that’s almost an inevitability if you want to squeeze more enjoyment out of the game for a long time, but in no way should that excuse Frontier’s design decisions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like the thread title

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The mission timers used to be randomised, down to some expiring ½ second after you accepted it. That sure was fun and immersive! (and of course the brown sea log riders defended it)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the thing that annoys most people is that there's the core of a great game here. With a few good changes here and there, it could become a great game that everyone could enjoy, not just the few who are willing to make their own fun. However, the devs don't seem to be working towards those changes - they don't seem aware of the problems with the game at all.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gort posted:

I think the thing that annoys most people is that there's the core of a great game here. With a few good changes here and there, it could become a great game that everyone could enjoy, not just the few who are willing to make their own fun. However, the devs don't seem to be working towards those changes - they don't seem aware of the problems with the game at all.

This is really the thing. I swear they’re one, maybe two major patch cycles from really hitting a home run. Instead each time we get more and more disparate, unconnected game systems and just a ton of questionable design decisions (often directly from the Brown Sea Screamers.)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Everytime they add a cool new feature they tweak some aspect of it to make it poo poo. See CQC, Powerplay, ship and module transfer costs/timers, rover fuel, multicrew, capital ships, combat zones, etc. All of those things sound fun when you hear about the basic premise - and then you learn how the details of the implementation poo poo on that premise. Seriously, CQC would have been amazing if it paid anything like the time invested requires. Imagine if fighting hostile capital ships actually paid well enough to make the time and danger worth it - you'd get pickup groups of winged up players fighting some of the coolest assets in the game. With actual interesting mechanics. Or if multicrew didn't actively hinder every participant.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 5, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The first thing you bring up is entirely unrelated to the mission timers though - that’s through and through a bad design decision. I’m half way in your camp because I think the game has bad balance for progression beyond vulture level, but framing it as “:smug: it’s your fault you aren’t having fun” isn’t what’s right here.

To torture an analogy a little bit, Frontier handed us a deflated ball. You turned it into a frisbee and are having fun which is fine except a bunch of people got promised soccer and are kinda frustrated now that they can’t play soccer. That’s not their fault.

Not to mention that you having to wait just to make the timers matter is more evidence they’re really dumb mechanically. I’ve done things in game with self-imposed restrictions and I absolutely think that’s almost an inevitability if you want to squeeze more enjoyment out of the game for a long time, but in no way should that excuse Frontier’s design decisions.

No. That game state I shared wasn't some contrived scenario that I meticulously planned for premium-tier fun-having. That was the state that a naive player (me) enjoyed during the first few hours of play as a part of a natural newbie progression when I first dove in, August of 2015.

That and the fact that all of the "fixes" to these "progression problems" is always "gimme more spacebux so I can sell these accounts faster"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

That and the fact that all of the "fixes" to these "progression problems" is always "gimme more spacebux so I can sell these accounts faster"

That has got to be one of the most amazing strawmen I've seen in discussion\games.

Sorry, I mean

:nallears:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
"play" more "games" by logging in and out repeatedly to hit your optimized fakespacebux/hr targets

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Space games

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

osirisisdead posted:

"play" more "games" by logging in and out repeatedly to hit your optimized fakespacebux/hr targets

You do realize that the fact that relogging, stacking missions and other bullshit is required to actually get to the fun parts of the game is the problem right? People aren't stacking missions and relogging because it's fun - they're doing it because that's what lets them get to the fun part, because there's no well designed way to get there without stupid exploits and time wasting.

The thing is that everything seems to be designed in a vacuum, taking no other part of the game into account. Ferrying people in bulk is just as dangerous and takes just as long as ferrying goods. But people pay way more. Bulk people carrying pays better than bounty hunting at a RES, yet there's also far less risk. Bounty hunting at a RES pays far more than fighting in a combat zone, but it's also much safer and easier. Ship costs dramatically escalate but payouts don't. Nothing has any balance in relation to anything else.

The only objectively good things about ED are their amazing artists, their space nerds that made the galaxy engine and their flight model. And those things are so loving amazing that people put up with the rest of the game for them.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 5, 2018

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I just want to say, I am cool and normal, and that is why I do not post.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

Ok, but you don't need an Anaconda.

I sold it because I hated it but I should still be able to buy it without spending a hundred hours in game.

Edit: oh great thanks mobile app. There used to be a post here.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 5, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Ok, but you don't need an Anaconda.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
JFC there are missions available on day 1 in the starter system that pay up to and over 3 million credits for a 10 minute planetary scan job.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There weren’t when I started playing so maybe I’m arguing from a flawed premise. It took me forever to get into an AspE years ago.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

JFC there are missions available on day 1 in the starter system that pay up to and over 3 million credits for a 10 minute planetary scan job.

What reputation rank do you need to be? Game loves to drop the good jobs just outside what I’m allowed to do.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Eldragon posted:

What reputation rank do you need to be? Game loves to drop the good jobs just outside what I’m allowed to do.

I had restarted, so I know for a fact it was at 0 rep.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's my general strategy to hold a cache of a few million exploration data to get quick allyship in any given system.

maybe I’m arguing from a flawed premise.

Bingo bango. You are missing the forest for the trees. Take a step back and see what the game offers from the naive-newbie-experience, not the grind-guide-newbie-experience.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 5, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

osirisisdead posted:

Bingo bango. People are missing the forest for the trees. Take a step back and see from the naive newbie experience, not the grind-guide-newbie experience.

Except it's the same experience, you just don't get told the most efficient way to grind. You're still either going to do the bounty hunting, the exploration or the trading and none of those experiences change significantly beyond getting a new ship. As a naive player it simply takes longer to change ships.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Except playing Doom after entering a cheat code IDDQD is the same experience, you just don't take any damage. You're still either going to shoot the demon, pick up the keys, and push buttons and none of those experiences change significantly beyond beating the levels. As a regular player, it simply takes longer to beat the levels.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

It's my general strategy to hold a cache of a few million exploration data to get quick allyship in any given system.

Bingo bango. You are missing the forest for the trees. Take a step back and see what the game offers from the naive-newbie-experience, not the grind-guide-newbie-experience.

I had a lot more detail in the post that I lost but this was not my point. I said that the progression early was fine - my reply was more that when I started, 1mil+ missions were not available for new players. I “grinded” to an AspX and that felt mostly like satisfying progression. It’s after that that it slows down to a punishing crawl and needs to be fixed.

Arguably if now players are getting millions from missions out of the gate I think progression at both the low AND high end is bad.

But I don’t think we’re going to reach any resolution here since I need to get back to grinding credits to sell Elite Dangerous accounts on a secondary market lol.

Orv
May 4, 2011

osirisisdead posted:

Except playing Doom after entering a cheat code IDDQD is the same experience, you just don't take any damage. You're still either going to shoot the demon, pick up the keys, and push buttons and none of those experiences change significantly beyond beating the levels. As a regular player, it simply takes longer to beat the levels.

That's not the same thing and you know it. DOOM/Doom has a tightly designed basic gameplay loop, Elite does not, because 90% of its gameplay is engaging with menus or the Max Speed hotkey (jumping from one star to the next is barely gameplay), and the other is combat that (I at least) got tired of after a few hours of it. I can and still do play Doom today, Elite I don't really expect to play again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 5, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

How much are you in for, commando?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mike the TV posted:

Those missions are doable on day 1. They're not fun at any point in your Elite playtime. Fly to a place, scan it, come home. You barely do anything the game is good at in that play session.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Gort posted:

Those missions are doable on day 1. They're not fun at any point in your Elite playtime. Fly to a place, scan it, come home. You barely do anything the game is good at in that play session.

Elite is not fun. :colbert:

EDIT: I think I'm the only person in the universe who enjoys planetary scan missions. The low-danger ones are therapeutic, and the high-risk ones are pretty fun.

48 Hour Boner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 5, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok

Don't let the airlock pinch your big ole swinging cock on the way out.

48 Hour Boner posted:

Elite is not fun. :colbert:

EDIT: I think I'm the only person in the universe who enjoys planetary scan missions. The low-danger ones are therapeutic, and the high-risk ones are pretty fun.

I love them and also love the high value salvage missions for things like black boxes and rare art.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 5, 2018

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I guess I’m also guilty here but

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mike the TV posted:

Guess I should head to start, that's roughly 2 or 3 times more lucrative than the road to riches honkfest I've been doing if true.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I like this game about flying in space and doing make believe space things in a believable fashion.

I also don't have an Anaconda and I can still have fun.

:shrug:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Arguably if now players are getting millions from missions out of the gate I think progression at both the low AND high end is bad.

The progression at the start is fine. Some people will play it as a sandbox and dick around in a Sidewinder or an Eagle for a while. IMHO this is the most fun part of the game. Some people will take the opportunities provided and jump to larger ships sooner.

By the way, the game gives you 4-5 emails on start that tell you to visit different places, depending on what you want to learn about (Combat, Trade, Exploration, etc) and they will generally have missions based on those criteria only. It's a solid introduction to new players, completely casual and also 100% optional.

GruntyThrst posted:

Guess I should head to start, that's roughly 2 or 3 times more lucrative than the road to riches honkfest I've been doing if true.

It's not guaranteed every time so it's not great as a repeatable action, I only got the super-high paying missions a few times, but they will almost always be over 100k.

Gort posted:

I guess except for the part where you get into the SRV to drive around and sneak into a planetary base. I think that that is a fun part of the game.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 5, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike the TV posted:

I guess except for the part where you get into the SRV to drive around and sneak into a planetary base. I think that that is a fun part of the game.

I agree with you, but don't feed the troll by engaging with his lieposting in good faith. They will believe that they tricked you and will feel good about themselves for it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

I guess except for the part where you get into the SRV to drive around and sneak into a planetary base.
I'd totally do that but it'd put my missile racks out of work, and they've got kids to feed.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I heard that in Beyond: Chapter One they're going to add your current inventory count of space junk when you target a piece of it, is that true? I know they're changing the system so you can hold 100 of each item, but if I have 90 I am probably not going to waste time getting another one, but if I have 0 you better believe I will and the ship's computer should know!

Because it is sure not inconvenient at all to look and see Plasma Junkets on your left panel and then say "Ok how many Plasma Junkets do I have?" then go to the right hand panel and go scroll through materials to see if it is you have enough in your inventory already. How many do I need? I am not sure because I can't remember what 100 different materials are used for so I just try to keep "a good amount" of each. Oh I have 9 Plasma Junkets, let's go back to the left panel and see what else this guy dropped. Heater Vanes. Well let's go back to the right panel and look those up. I have 16 but I think I remember those are used for something good? I can't remember and I don't feel like getting out of VR to go open a web browser to look it up, better pick those up. The good ones you want are actually Heater Meters, Heater Vanes have no in-game use. Now do that for 4 different materials that are dropped and oh do it quickly because they might despawn before you can scoop them up.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
as a space garbage person, that's my favorite QoL feature they are adding

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

How do I pay off my bounties? The station blows me up before I can get inside.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sanzuo posted:

If you just gotta get in there, approach at a safe speed, don't request docking until you're pretty close, and go into silent running. Don't get over 30% or so, just keep blowing heat sinks until you land. The option to pay them off will be in the contacts section.

You may also be able to just fly to a different system, I think I'm remembering just exiling myself from a system for a week or so before I figured out that you even could ist them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sanzuo posted:

Sneak in or find an anarchy system with an interstellar factors agent or whatever the hell it's called.

Outposts I think can also usually be used to pay off a bounty but I don't remember 100%

• Locked thread