Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

InfiniteZero posted:

There are various distinctions in application across different provinces.

True.

More specifically, as an Albertan, why did I have mandatory French classes in school? Is there any current political movement that would be able to correct this?

e. Calgary removed the requirement in 2011. Is similar progress being made elsewhere?

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Correct" what, exactly, that that you were exposed to a world beyond the end of your nose?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Preen Dog posted:

True.

More specifically, as an Albertan, why did I have mandatory French classes in school? Is there any current political movement that would be able to correct this?

It feels useless to learn and a far away political issue in the west, but it's a very big deal for the rest of Canada.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Preen Dog posted:

True.

As an Albertan why did you have anything in school?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Even if you think official bilingualism is stupid (it isn't, and I invite you to try living in Quebec if you don't understand why that is), learning a second language at a young age is the best way to become truly bilingual, it increases your ability to learn additional languages thereafter, and it improves your understanding of your own language in general. Given that, it makes perfect sense that learning a second language should be mandatory in school, and due to the history of our country, it makes the most sense for that second language to be either English or French (depending on your first language, of course), or an Indigenous language (but lol, keep dreaming!)

The real issue is that second language education in most of the country is extremely poo poo and doesn't actually result in students that can speak a second language fluently. If anything, there should be a greater focus on bilingual education. The main thing I'm bitter about with regards to French classes in school is that I didn't actually learn any French, because as it turns out, doing the same loving word-searches for three loving years is not a great instructional technique.

I got further in one semester of Spanish in university than in seven years of French in school.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Learning a second language is really good for cognitive development, kids are really well-situated to do it and if you're going to learn one anyway it'd may as well be an official language of the country doing the teaching (and a useful world language to boot).

What other language-with-a-Canadian-connection would be better? It's not like there are a lot of job openings for speakers of Maritime Gaelic. Oji-Cree? Cantonese?

PT6A posted:

The real issue is that second language education in most of the country is extremely poo poo and doesn't actually result in students that can speak a second language fluently. If anything, there should be a greater focus on bilingual education.

:agreed:

ten years of "je suis tu es" didn't give me much beyond a credible accent, but a summer with the gatinois techs qui ont fixé le chose gently caressé, now THAT was useful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress watching Disney movies in French and acting like it's a goddamn lesson. What the gently caress is even the point of that? Teacher is hungover and doesn't want to do poo poo that day?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Preen Dog posted:

True.

e. Calgary removed the requirement in 2011. Is similar progress being made elsewhere?

Because Albertans need all the help they can get when it comes to educating themselves on a world outside their little province. A second language is a great way to do that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

gently caress watching Disney movies in French and acting like it's a goddamn lesson. What the gently caress is even the point of that? Teacher is hungover and doesn't want to do poo poo that day?

I got you beat: We had a prof in college who brought in a video of Fievel Goes West to watch in class, without a word of commentary, as a substitute for a lesson in a course about First Nations issues in policing. I'm convinced he just hosed off on the lesson plan and that was the tape that was in the VCR.

Why no, he wasn't of Aboriginal descent, and we didn't find the course the least bit challenging, how did you guess?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because Albertans need all the help they can get when it comes to educating themselves on a world outside their little province. A second language is a great way to do that.

Yep. French should be mandatory through junior high, and it should be taught in such a way that you're reasonably fluent by the end of it, and then additional languages should be made available at the high school level, so you can graduate high school fluent in three languages. This is not even remotely difficult to imagine or achieve, it's just that those who set the curriculum seem to have no actual interest in developing fluent students.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Make that third language Arabic and I think you'll solve a couple of other problems at the same time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I want to learn Mandarin but don't even know where to start.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I suspect it's pretty hard to find teachers that are truly fluent.

Also agreed with all that.

My seven years of crappy French was mostly a waste of time, but it did give me a pretty solid foundation for learning more Spanish in two years than I ever learned of French.

Why don't the start French classes before grade five?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^^What? We got them in JK. A very nice Moroccan man took us off our teachers' hands for half an hour and sang songs to us in his language.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want to learn Mandarin but don't even know where to start.

Yeah I really should get back into that when I'm bored with school and not playing overwatch (so uh, never). Flash cards with the radicals on them and a Pimsleur set of audiobooks goes a long way, though I expect any "Learn Chinese!" book that isn't Cantonese would take you to the same places.

Maybe give up now on ever understanding anyone who speaks to you in person, especially if they're joking. Unless the joke is how little you look like Da Shan.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

It’s a bit tiring seeing the same type of low quality post from you over and over and over and over again.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

ante posted:

I suspect it's pretty hard to find teachers that are truly fluent.

I spent 12 years in French immersion and in some cases teachers were very fluent but just not very good at teaching. My grade 9-12 history classes were AWFUL, I don't think we ever got into any events in the 1900's.

I also haven't spoken french in over 10 years and kinda regret wasting that opportunity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

I spent 12 years in French immersion and in some cases teachers were very fluent but just not very good at teaching. My grade 9-12 history classes were AWFUL, I don't think we ever got into any events in the 1900's.

I also haven't spoken french in over 10 years and kinda regret wasting that opportunity.

Yeah, no matter how good the program or the teachers it's super hard to hold onto what little french you learned if you're never exposed to it outside of school. I know a couple fellow Victoria natives that ended up moving to Ontario and their french immersion foundation let them quickly become fluent, which was also part of their jobs. The ones who remained in Victoria and never worked in Ontario or Quebec ended up with zero french skills, immersion program or not. Use it or lose it.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Man that facebook post looks bad. Now, a ton of dumb 16/18 year old boys post stuff like that all the time, but man does it look bad now. What a tragic situation and no matter what the verdict is, everyone is going to be upset. Nothing can bring the boy back unfortunately.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 5, 2018

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

xtal posted:

As an Albertan why did you have anything in school?

We have to be able to read the gauges to get the oil.

PT6A posted:

Even if you think official bilingualism is stupid (it isn't, and I invite you to try living in Quebec if you don't understand why that is), learning a second language at a young age is the best way to become truly bilingual, it increases your ability to learn additional languages thereafter, and it improves your understanding of your own language in general. Given that, it makes perfect sense that learning a second language should be mandatory in school, and due to the history of our country, it makes the most sense for that second language to be either English or French (depending on your first language, of course), or an Indigenous language (but lol, keep dreaming!)

Agreed that second languages are awesome, just shouldn't be mandatory French. Everyone so far says the perfunctory French classes are useless.

flakeloaf posted:

"Correct" what, exactly, that that you were exposed to a world beyond the end of your nose?

When I lived in Vancouver, the French on the milk carton seemed even less useful there. Now Cantonese, there's a rising star! Voluntary enrollment in more locally and globally relevant languages would be ideal. Apparently, Calgary will lead the way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You learn a ton of poo poo in school a lot of people end up "never using" or forgetting. Sure french isn't as immediately useful in the west as it is in upper/lower canada, but I guarantee you people in Alberta learning french have gotten use out of it, you just probably don't know them because they moved east.

We could certainly do a lot better though. But don't think the answer is "stop teaching french because no one I know remembers it" but rather "teach french better"

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Man that facebook post looks bad. Now, a ton of dumb 16/18 year old boys post stuff like that all the time, but really does seem like they were going on a robbery spree and ended up at the wrong farm. What a tragic situation and no matter what the verdict is, everyone is going to be upset. Nothing can bring the boy back unfortunately.

I’d wager you could find a similar social media post from about 90% of aboriginal teens living on reserve. A ‘gently caress the police’ or ‘gangster’ attitude is incredibly common amongst aboriginal youth cultural. It’s not really a surprising/uncommon attitude to develop in an impoverished minority that are systemically discriminated against

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Baronjutter posted:

We could certainly do a lot better though. But don't think the answer is "stop teaching french because no one I know remembers it" but rather "teach french better"

100% this. I know I've mentioned this before, but I took college evening classes for 2-3 years and learned a passable amount of French. There's no way that 3 hours/week as an adult should prepare me more than 6 years of elementary/high school french where no one remembers anything.

I know I was an adult making an effort, but it's also a lot easier to learn a new language as a kid. We should not spend grades 4-7 learning the same goddamn vocabulary every year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

they are song lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6KYUaazWFk

https://genius.com/Yelawolf-catfish-billy-lyrics

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

I know I was an adult making an effort, but it's also a lot easier to learn a new language as a kid. We should not spend grades 4-7 learning the same goddamn vocabulary every year.

Also I don't think we ever touched on grammar until grade 6. Vocabulary on its own is useless, because you don't know how to say anything and you can't understand sentence structure, so it's impossible to read or listen as well. Who the gently caress designed that curriculum?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

A Typical Goon posted:

I’d wager you could find a similar social media post from about 90% of aboriginal teens living on reserve. A ‘gently caress the police’ or ‘gangster’ attitude is incredibly common amongst aboriginal youth cultural. It’s not really a surprising/uncommon attitude to develop in an impoverished minority that are systemically discriminated against

Yea this is also why it doesn't surprise me there are contradictory statements to the police. You don't talk to cops.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Stickarts posted:

Yea this is also why it doesn't surprise me there are contradictory statements to the police. You don't talk to cops.

Yeah it seemed like they didn't want to get in trouble, the guy driving after 30 shots wasn't supposed to be driving or having firearms.

Did not expect that

https://twitter.com/TaylorMacP/status/960618149187010561

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What the gently caress?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The only thing I remember about French classes in Alberta is that they were pretty much desperate for anyone so the French teachers were almost always the bottom of the barrel. I remember our grade 5 teacher having a complete mental breakdown in the middle of one class for no loving reason. Even if you want true bilingualism taught in schools I don't think the infrastructure is there in the west.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I learned enough French taking it up until grade 9 and then stopping that over a decade later I was able to pass a grad school French reading test with nothing but a few months of Duolingo practice beforehand. French education in Canada isn't perfect but combined with regular exposure through product packaging, government websites, etc., you'd be surprised how much you pick up and retain even if you don't use it in daily life.

As PT6A said, we should actually be focusing on teaching more languages, and not just that, but teaching kids why they're learning other languages, besides "the curriculum says you have to because Canada is a bilingual country [blame Quebec for hating this class]". Learning another language is immensely valuable for so many reasons and we do a poo poo job teaching that to people. It helps you understand your own language better, it makes your brain more flexible and adaptable, it enormously enhances travel opportunities and experiences, it opens up a surprisingly large set of jobs and job opportunities where either the job relies on bilingualism (and I don't just mean in the federal government) or knowing another language can lead to job openings that aren't available to others, and that's before you even get to cultural applications like being able to read literature or watch movies without needing translations.

Canada and Canadians coast a lot in all these categories because we're lucky that the primary language of our country happens to be the current language of international trade and commerce, but it hasn't always been that way and is increasingly less that way as time passes and we shift away from hegemonic American world structures, and as usual we have no plans to adapt to the future.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cougar cub posted:

It’s a bit tiring seeing the same type of low quality post from you over and over and over and over again.

Sorry did you not learn the expression "If the shoe fits" in high school either?

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This boushie trial is getting heated this week. Apparently the court is full of stanley supporters today and a busload of colten people outside. Stanley is going to take the stand at some point. Defence's case this morning is basically home invasion against terrified old man by drunk vandalizing thieving gang gone wrong because of a freak accident hangfire.

https://twitter.com/CBCOlivia/status/960544980883435520

https://twitter.com/Jarv_Stewart/status/960589437980692480

https://twitter.com/johcanada1/status/960588261088419840

I think the kid quoted the wrong Yelawolf song. He really should of quoted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3pU-dLok4

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Preen Dog posted:

Agreed that second languages are awesome, just shouldn't be mandatory French. Everyone so far says the perfunctory French classes are useless.

Grade school French is useful as a foundation, just as grade school history or physics is useful as a foundation.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Grade school French is useful as a foundation, just as grade school history or physics is useful as a foundation.

I fail to see how any of this will prepare the next generation for careers in the oil patch and cryptocurrency trading

e: oh and real estate

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

There are practical reasons why we can't teach those subjects in any kind of depth in grade school. There is no reason why, after 7 years of instruction, a child shouldn't be fluent in a second language.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
teaching french outside of quebec is useless imo and its precious time wasted that could be spent teaching physics, history, philosophy, economy etc also i have this theory that mandatory french classes causes kids in the ROC to develop some type of light hatred of french people

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The brains of bilingual people actually function differently and better than monolingual people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/10126883/Why-learn-a-foreign-language-Benefits-of-bilingualism.html

I think we can see this evidenced on this very page of the thread . The bilingual people will tell you how great it is to speak more than one language, while monolingual people furrow their brows but can't quite grasp the point of it.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Reince Penis posted:

The brains of bilingual people actually function differently and better than monolingual people.

This again. Any language would work. Specific mandatory French is intended to benefit the francophone minority at the expense of everyone else. That's simply apartheid.

Not even mentioning the over-representation in government leadership, language discrimination in government jobs and transfer payment blackmail.

But dance around the point and call me a hick, whatever. I just asked if anyone here knew what event or condition put Canada in such a weak position to constantly appease that minority.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Preen Dog posted:

This again. Any language would work. Specific mandatory French is intended to benefit the francophone minority at the expense of everyone else. That's simply apartheid.

lol shut up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Preen Dog posted:

Not even mentioning the over-representation in government leadership, language discrimination in government jobs and transfer payment blackmail.

But dance around the point and call me a hick, whatever. I just asked if anyone here knew what event or condition put Canada in such a weak position to constantly appease that minority.

lolwhut? You know this is the D&D thread not the C-SPAM one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Preen Dog posted:

Show us where the coureur des bois touched you.