Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Refried Noodle posted:

A friend told me crypto solves problems with high transfer prices for international money transfers. Which, I mean, I guess a random crypto might be cheaper because there’s no oversight or regulations to deal with?

That doesn’t make it good though. I like government oversight over international money transfers. Money laundering is bad.

No regulation also means they can tell you to gently caress off after you try to withdraw the money you transferred for this cheap fee. 80% of posts on reddit sub for any exchange is them not releasing money or getting the money you withdrew lost. Also waiting months for a ticket response.

"Bitfinex lost $30,000 of my money and I've been trying to reach them for 3 months now with no luck". Hurray to no dirty gov't interference!

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I smashed Print Screen at the nicest time. :c00l:

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010
I don't ever bother checking daily prices of anything, but is there anything close to as volatile as BTC? In the past 5 minutes the low was 6,620 and the high was 7,250 on gdax. Almost 10% price swings every 5 minutes just seems crazy.

Edit: actually, 15 minutes not 5 minutes.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's going back up, suck it losers

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
and here comes the massive pump and dump, 7300$

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Dead cat bounce.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

pump pump PUMP IT UP

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

So Long Dental Plan posted:

I don't ever bother checking daily prices of anything, but is there anything close to as volatile as BTC? In the past 5 minutes the low was 6,620 and the high was 7,250 on gdax. Almost 10% price swings every 5 minutes just seems crazy.

It's something completely based on make-believe, propped up by true believers and fraudsters at the same time, which makes it easy to be worthless and extremely valuable at the same time.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wow, I just saw it lose $100 and then get pumped back $100 in the span of five seconds lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

spasticColon posted:

Dead cat bounce.

i'm starting to hate that phrase. how many times does a dead cat actually bounce. 20?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

i'm starting to hate that phrase. how many times does a dead cat actually bounce. 20?

You'd be surprised what rubber cats can do

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

It depends on what is inside the cat, Burt Sexual.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I feel the only thing missing from this is 'dead cat bounce' and the fact that Jamie has already changed his mind, anyway please enjoy

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think some people's optimism has turned around, it's back up about $300 in a few minutes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Up 800 in 30 mins. Uh yeah.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i can't say for sure because i have only ever traded crypto, but i doubt if there's anything else this volatile that also has this kind of volume and liquidity

if there is then someone please tell me

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Waltzing Along posted:

Up 800 in 30 mins. Uh yeah.

clearing 80000$ before fees on that bounce alone on 100btc. gee I wonder if its hard to manipulate up shorting and longing that way :thunk:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Minimalist Program posted:

It depends on what is inside the cat, Burt Sexual.

brb

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Wow, someone really does not want it to fall below 7k. 500 dollar jump in like 3 minutes and now every time it looks like it's going to drop again they pump the gently caress out of it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Did you know that the dow is eating poo poo today? Ha ha ha no coiners with their stocks, economy is crashing boys. Don't you dare imply bitcoin is crashing. - Literally every crypto discussion hive

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Clearly, this is the currency of the furniture.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Could bitcoin investors be liquidating their other investments to cover their losses in bitcoins?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

spasticColon posted:

Dow down 1500 points. :stare:

This is why I put 15% of my portfolio into 3x shorting the s&p and nasdaq 100 today

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sickening posted:

Could bitcoin investors be liquidating their other investments to cover their losses in bitcoins?

lol, no.

There's no serious investor who would need to liquidate enough stock to cause this correction to cover losses in Santoshi's Owne Funbuxx.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pivotal Lever posted:

This is why I put 15% of my portfolio into 3x shorting the s&p and nasdaq 100 today

dang, smart!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pivotal Lever posted:

I put 100% of my portfolio into shorting the VIX a few months ago. I saw it on Forbes. Seemed legit, unlike this cryptu garbage.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Khorne posted:

I put 100% of my portfolio into shorting the VIX a few months ago. I saw it on Forbes. Seemed legit, unlike this cryptu garbage.

I was doing some rebalancing last week and am really, really regretting not moving more into VIX. Oh well.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Back at 7k. I think some of the UP UP UP pushers are driving home from work or something, it dropped $200 in a short period of time.

e: Aaaand magically +$100 again as I post this.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Sickening posted:

Yes, I am sure bitcoin investments with borrowed bank money is going to have a dramatic effect on the market when buttcoin goes face down.

Then again I have only been trading for 6 months.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Khorne posted:

XIV (the VIX inverse short etf) had a huge runup over the past year, but it's down 33% over the past month with the volatility increases

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nephzinho posted:

I was doing some rebalancing last week and am really, really regretting not moving more into VIX. Oh well.

Lol,rebalancing in bitcoin land must have to happen every day, or more frequent!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
With stock markets dropping like a stone I imagine bitcoin speculators are feeling less eager to piss their money away.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Back under 7k, the pump lasted for a whole... 30 minutes?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Just saw 6969 for a moment on the tab header.

Nice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is bitcoin at 6000 yet?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

spankmeister posted:

is bitcoin at 6000 yet?
no but it could get down there in the next few days

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol,rebalancing in bitcoin land must have to happen every day, or more frequent!

You are always rebalancing the bitcoin if you never touch the bitcoin.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh. There's a wall at $7000 now; it hit that, as you can see below, but then bumped immediately back up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pivotal Lever posted:

XIV (the VIX inverse short etf) had a huge runup over the past year, but it's down 33% over the past month with the volatility increases
Yeah, I was making a joke because my losses would come close to buying in at $20k bitcoiner losses if I had done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Double Bill posted:

Back under 7k, the pump lasted for a whole... 30 minutes?
that was people taking profit