Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

duz posted:

How can that be with every true conservative boycotting them over players kneeling?

The pilot on the boat I work on came down last night, first words out of his mouth: "Any of them bastards kneel this time?"

Then this morning: "Fox News said no one kneeled last night, so that's a good thing at least."

I told him I saw kneeling all over the place. Guy kicks the ball and the catcher took a knee right in the middle of the field. Foles taking a knee in the last minutes of the game, not even trying to make a play.
I don't think he appreciated my pointing it out though. Granted, this guy is a proud racist who brags about being a Deplorable to anyone within earshot and thinks that calling someone a snowflake is the granddaddy of all :iceburn:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Ignoring everything else about that Rall, what the hell happened to that woman's arm in the last panel?

e: and the other woman in the first panel. does Rall know what an elbow is

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress Icarus. gently caress the whole story and idea and bullshit "lesson". Aim for the motherfucking sun, soar as loving high as you can, reach as high and as far as you motherfucking can. "Don't aim so high" is the worst god drat loving thing you could possibly learn or teach unless you're in the exact same "wax/wing/sun" situation and I'm going to hazard a guess that that situation comes up a LOT loving less than trying to get that job, or that person, or that opportunity that seems way above you.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

thank you for your hard work keeping the pedophile from winning

This is one of the most depressing lines of all time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Actually, the real lesson of Icarus is the importance of sound structural engineering.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Isn't it a life lesson to not gently caress around with your Magaver-ed prison escape contraptions until you reach safety?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Uts a life lesson that if a literal god gives ya a hand but tells ya not to do something than don't do that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Duke Igthorn posted:

gently caress Icarus. gently caress the whole story and idea and bullshit "lesson". Aim for the motherfucking sun, soar as loving high as you can, reach as high and as far as you motherfucking can. "Don't aim so high" is the worst god drat loving thing you could possibly learn or teach unless you're in the exact same "wax/wing/sun" situation and I'm going to hazard a guess that that situation comes up a LOT loving less than trying to get that job, or that person, or that opportunity that seems way above you.

He isn't even Icarus as at least he helped his dad build goddamn working wings out of wax and at least knew what he was loving dealing with, he just misjudged how high he should fly. Nunes is almost as lazy as Aergia or Hypnos, dreaming up these lovely memos that are incomprehensible gibberish in-so-far as them actually proving anything he'd actually want, meanwhile he's giving Mueller even more goddamn ammo while making sure its public goddamn knowledge how stupid they all are that they don't even need someone to tell them they're Nobody to gently caress themselves.

Also the Trump Administration and their true believers is basically the isle of the Lotus Eaters. "Well, my social security is being cut but - uh, taxes are lowered!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

I assume you also think Macbeth is a lovely play.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Tell us about your new, exciting Amway business opportunity, you sound like every overhyped perpetual sucker I've met.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Duke Igthorn posted:

I mean, the cartoon makes no goddamn sense, but that's more of a politoon problem. Maybe you hang around a lot of people who have a hard time applying simple metaphors, but the reason you don't fly too close to the sun is because it will loving burn you. If you're ambitious without taking idiot risks, you're shooting for the moon, which is an accepted cool thing to do.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

He isn't even Icarus as at least he helped his dad build goddamn working wings out of wax and at least knew what he was loving dealing with, he just misjudged how high he should fly. Nunes is almost as lazy as Aergia or Hypnos, dreaming up these lovely memos that are incomprehensible gibberish in-so-far as them actually proving anything he'd actually want, meanwhile he's giving Mueller even more goddamn ammo while making sure its public goddamn knowledge how stupid they all are that they don't even need someone to tell them they're Nobody to gently caress themselves.

Also the Trump Administration and their true believers is basically the isle of the Lotus Eaters. "Well, my social security is being cut but - uh, taxes are lowered!"
The comic only makes sense if Trump is Icarus.

Nunez, as Icarus's dad, built the wings (the memo) and the lesson was temperance, fly neither too close to the sun nor too close to the sea (neither release the memo nor let it be forgotten). Trump, being a prideful rear end in a top hat, "flew too close to the sun" by actually releasing the loving thing even though everyone and their god drat mother told him not to because the point of the memo wasn't to actually release it but to look like they have something to release but those drat democrats are keeping them from doing it. So months and months, potentially years, worth of "Any day now we'll release this bombshell, what do they have to hide????" bullshit is destroyed, quickly and cleanly, by actually releasing the memo. That's why Nunez tried so desperately to distance himself from it at the last minute: Trump was too stupid to realize the significance and was actually going to release it.

So yeah, that's how the metaphor COULD work. The myth is only for specific situations but in life in general it's really loving bad.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, the cartoon makes no goddamn sense, but that's more of a politoon problem. Maybe you hang around a lot of people who have a hard time applying simple metaphors, but the reason you don't fly too close to the sun is because it will loving burn you. If you're ambitious without taking idiot risks, you're shooting for the moon, which is an accepted cool thing to do.
So...and I want to really unpack what you just said: "Don't fly too close to the sun because it will burn you."? Am I right there?
So, the lesson is "don't get too close to dangerous things".

Well, no loving poo poo.

My point is that unless the thing you're not supposed to "fly too close to" is dangerous than the entire myth is garbage and, if the thing you're not supposed to "fly too close to" IS dangerous than the entire myth is loving garbage because no loving duh (aside from the fact that Icarus wasn't taking a risk, he was just enraptured by flight, distracted and silly and young) I don't need an entire myth to tell me not to stick my face in fire thank you. Your interpretation rely's on everything but the sun being metaphorical (or it's a "metaphor" for something directly analogous to it, like a sun shaped lamp or a ball of nails or prison, things that can literally hurt you (or something you care about).

Fulchrum posted:

I assume you also think Macbeth is a lovely play.
Macbeth is my favorite story of all time. Would you like to discuss Macbeth?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Those "Stock Market BOOMING, LOL Dems" cartoons are really aging well in the last *checks watch* week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is like a "DOW SOARS!" cartoon coming out today.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Lurdiak posted:

This is like a "DOW SOARS!" cartoon coming out today.

Out of curiosity I checked and holy poo poo! :eyepop:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Jagged Jim posted:

:getin: It's a good day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

Always aim for the Moon. If you miss, you'll die alone in the cold, empty void.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Duke Igthorn posted:

So yeah, that's how the metaphor COULD work. The myth is only for specific situations but in life in general it's really loving bad.

Not really, the lesson is "don't do pointlessly dangerous poo poo just to prove that you can".

"Don't fly into the sun" is the ancient Greek equivalent of "Don't eat tide pods" or "don't stick your dick in the garbage disposal".

Simply using the wax wings (a symbol of humanities creativity and ingenuity) was fine and helped him and his father escape prison, but using the wax wings to do the "Fly directly into the sun challenge" was what got Icaris killed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The sun is a chicken poo poo and you can fly as close as you want.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The sun is a chicken poo poo and you can fly as close as you want.

"What're you gonna do, melt my wings?"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not really, the lesson is "don't do pointlessly dangerous poo poo just to prove that you can".

"Don't fly into the sun" is the ancient Greek equivalent of "Don't eat tide pods" or "don't stick your dick in the garbage disposal".

Simply using the wax wings (a symbol of humanities creativity and ingenuity) was fine and helped him and his father escape prison, but using the wax wings to do the "Fly directly into the sun challenge" was what got Icaris killed.

quote:

My point is that unless the thing you're not supposed to "fly too close to" is dangerous than the entire myth is garbage and, if the thing you're not supposed to "fly too close to" IS dangerous than the entire myth is loving garbage because no loving duh (aside from the fact that Icarus wasn't taking a risk, he was just enraptured by flight, distracted and silly and young) I don't need an entire myth to tell me not to stick my face in fire thank you. Your interpretation rely's on everything but the sun being metaphorical (or it's a "metaphor" for something directly analogous to it, like a sun shaped lamp or a ball of nails or prison, things that can literally hurt you (or something you care about).

Edit: could you PLEASE give me an example of how "eating a Tide Pod" is being overly ambitious??? Please??

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 5, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The moral of the the myth of Icarus is that you should never exceed your flight envelope, stunts are made by professionals for a reason, and kids are not to try this at home.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a shame the memo dropped at the same time the market crashed. Would of been fun to see what nonsense Conservatives drew up to distract from that.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Those "Stock Market BOOMING, LOL Dems" cartoons are really aging well in the last *checks watch* week.

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/960614996890746882

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

That "wax/wing/sun" is literally the point. Icarus isn't just flying, him and his dad are trying to escape prison. Daedelus says "hey Icky my boy, we can fly with these but watch out cuz they can't handle the sun." Then while flying Icarus says "actually gently caress you dad and gently caress what we're here to do, I'm gonna go check out the sun" followed by "OH GOD drat IT WHO COULD HAVE FORSEEN CONSEQUENCES ALSO APPLY TO ME!" edit: poo poo he also says "don't fly too low because the water will gently caress up the wings."

It's a story about knowing your limits and keeping your goals in mind, not "don't dream big fuckface." Like Icarus, Nunes should have known the limits of his memo (his metaphorical wings) and shot for something in line with that (instead of trying to paint it as the memo to destroy the FBI). His inability to recognize those limits have led to the memo backfiring and hurting him.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 5, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Icarus is actually a story about how teenagers are dumb:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

Macbeth is my favorite story of all time. Would you like to discuss Macbeth?

...did you miss that the entire thing is about being over-ambitious for your station making you pure evil? For fucks sake, it originated the term "vaulting ambition".

Also that woman born thing was weak AF.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hey, no doxxing!

:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Tory divisions over Brexit – Theresa May has come under fire from both sides of her party as Philip Hammond angers Brexiters while Jacob Rees-Mogg blasts customs union plans"

Telegraph:

Royal Marines cuts 'militarily illiterate' say MPs

Independent:

Coup plot to install Brexit 'dream team' and oust May: Boris as PM, Gove to become his deputy and Chancellor Rees-Mogg if she insists on staying in EU customs union, warn rebel MPs

Times:

Jacob Rees-Mogg attacks Theresa May and Philip Hammond as leadership speculation mounts

Evening Standard:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jagged Jim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sKABnBn-QE

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Lord Hydronium posted:

Icarus is actually a story about how teenagers are dumb:

Aw gently caress.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I just think he’s an Echo to Trump’s Narcissus. Just desperate to get his attention at the cost of his own credibility.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was under the impression that dreams of flight were just the go-to metaphor for heights of human hubris.

Up until the 18th century, at least.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Shut the gently caress up, Ted Rall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KillerQueen posted:

I just think he’s an Echo to Trump’s Narcissus. Just desperate to get his attention at the cost of his own credibility.

Narcissus' problem was that he failed the mirror test.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Narcissus' problem was that he failed the mirror test.

I thought in the myth he knew it was his own reflection, he just couldn't bear to look at anything else.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

The fact Sputnik's antennas are straight back makes it look more like that neural implant from Xcom: Apocalypse

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fulchrum posted:

I thought in the myth he knew it was his own reflection, he just couldn't bear to look at anything else.

It depends on which version of the myth it is: In some versions he thinks his reflection is actually a beautiful water Nymph, in others he just thinks he's too pretty to look away from. Either way the results are the same: he turns into a flower because he refuses to move.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
DOW soars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

...did you miss that the entire thing is about being over-ambitious for your station making you pure evil? For fucks sake, it originated the term "vaulting ambition".

Also that woman born thing was weak AF.

Macbeth is about twisted ambition not about being overly ambitious, he already knew he was going to be king, he just had to wait. But the hunger for power twisted his ambition into an immediate need and that's the entire problem. Not wanting to be king in the first place but wanting to be king SO BADLY he hosed up everything and every one (including Banquo :( I love Banquo, that poo poo was hosed up).
To compare it to Icarus it's as if Icarus didn't fly too close to the sun but flew steady and straight betwixt sea and sun but went too fast and killed a farmer when he landed and now the guilt...is driving him crazy? Or maybe he killed a guard to get out a few years early before flying and...
Anyway, Macbeth is about twisted and naked ambition, it's why they themselves became twisted (and naked).