Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Is there a fix on the way for favorited smilies never actually staying in the favorites list on the keyboard?

(iPhone X, newest store release- but I think it's been that way for a while)

Edit: and +1 to a hopeful fix for not being able to select a bookmarked thread after deleting one from the list without force-quitting the app, too :angel:

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IllegallySober posted:

Is there a fix on the way for favorited smilies never actually staying in the favorites list on the keyboard?

(iPhone X, newest store release- but I think it's been that way for a while)

I’ve had that problem for the longest time too. Even deleting and reinstalling didn’t fix it. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has anyone noticed that when a pane slides in from the right, the animation is such that it can pause on the last pixel momentarily? Like you can see a line of whatever is being covered over for a noticeably long time on the left edge?

iPhone X, latest version.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So there's been some discussion in the iPhone thread about uploading pictures to Imgur through the app. I think it's an understood thing that trying to do so fails about 99% of the time, most people seem to think for API rate limit reasons, but I swear to god that there is a way to upload pictures to Imgur with 100% success rate in my experience.

This way fails most of the time:
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap From Library
  • Choose picture

I have never seen this method fail:
  • Copy picture you want to upload (as in tap on the image, or share button, and hit copy)
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap Paste

I tried looking into the code to see where these events were called/handled but I don't know enough about iOS programming to know what the hell I'm looking for. I grepped for 'imgur' but don't really know enough Swift to understand what I was looking at. I just want to know if these two methods are actually calling different methods or using different inputs somehow, or if I am just super lucky.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 31, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Or, you just turn off HEIC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've never failed with the hold [img] upload unless I was trying to upload 3-4+ images in a single post.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

anthonypants posted:

Or, you just turn off HEIC.

If only someone had previously suggested that and people tested it and found that didn't work for everyone.

(Didn't mean to be too snarky but we tried that already :()

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey I've done some :spergin: tweaks to some of the app icons here. They were incorrectly scaled before resulting in some fringing artifacts wherever 2 colours would meet. That's been fixed along with some tiny changes to :frogout: and :staredog:. I've also made some dark backdrop versions of :v: and the gold icon.

Finally, the list icons for larger devices has been redrawn as there was an error in there.

Can someone please drop these into the app? Thanks!

Done. I also fixed the icon gallery's background in dark mode.

Also, can we do something about :

Swift code:
override var refreshControl: UIRefreshControl? {
        // These were here to help migrate away from UIRefreshControl. Might as well leave them in to make sure we don't accidentally try something.
        get { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
        set { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
    }
It breaks capturing the UI hierarchy.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 1, 2018

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

With the most recently-released version, it appears that thread titles in the bookmarks list being grayed out if the thread is closed is not working.

Any chance of that returning?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I love being able to pick the frog icon for the Awful app.

The new dark mode seems to be much darker too (which I really like), but doesn't seem to be true black? #000000?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bookmarks flash white in dark mode when you open them, is this an intended thing? Nothing against it, just checking that it's working as it should be.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

obi_ant posted:

I love being able to pick the frog icon for the Awful app.

The new dark mode seems to be much darker too (which I really like), but doesn't seem to be true black? #000000?

there's no new dark mode that i'm aware of

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Stare-Out posted:

Bookmarks flash white in dark mode when you open them, is this an intended thing? Nothing against it, just checking that it's working as it should be.

Yeah, noticed this as a new thing in this version too.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

there's no new dark mode that i'm aware of

I posted some colour values for a future black OLED mode a while back that are probably on a list somewhere. Maybe obi_ant means the dark mode with alt app theme?

I do think that in addition to a new iPhone X theme we may as well swap out the current (very close to) black (#060606) with absolute (#000000) black on the dark mode already in the app. I don't know about coding but could that be accomplished with a find / replace?

carry on then posted:

Done. I also fixed the icon gallery's background in dark mode.

Thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Keith Atherton posted:

After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

I think the dismiss is a quick swipe down.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kimbo305 posted:

I think the dismiss is a quick swipe down.

My guess is it's an overeager gesture recognizer that sees any pan down as the downward swipe that means close the view. We can probably adjust that to be more discriminating, or at least only work when the image is zoomed out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Has Cloudflare DDOS protection broken the app?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

illcendiary posted:

Has Cloudflare DDOS protection broken the app?

No, but the site itself has been a little wonky with Cloudflare recently and when the site is busted the app is busted.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Two things: first, I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to fix embedded tweets not showing correctly. Second...i think in the course of trying to do this, I found a bug? I dunno.

Basically, when loading a page from a thread, all the embedded tweets will instead show just the caption text + a link to the picture (rather than showing the actual picture). Like so:

It doesn’t always do this, though...all tweets on that particular page will have the problem, but usually when I navigate to the next page all the embedded tweets will show up just fine. It seems to crop up quite randomly; I’d guess maybe a quarter of the time if I load a page, this’ll happen? The problem is that if I attempt to navigate back to the original page with the problem, it doesn’t seem to reload...the embedded tweets are just stuck like that. I can still tap the links to manually pull up the tweets/pics, so it’s not like it’s a huge problem, but it’s still irritating on tweet-heavy threads (especially when I’m unlucky enough for multiple pages in a row to do it...)

It’s not permanent, because sometimes if I (much later) come back to a thread, the pages that were affected will now show the tweets correctly. But for the most part, if I come across it, I can’t really do anything about it, at least in-the-moment. It’s pretty much just: “welp, guess I’m just not seeing any of the (surely hilarious) tweets on this page!”

After some gooling around, it seems like this might be something that affects ios in general, or at least Safari; I’ve found other people mentioning the same issue but in other contexts. So it’s not just Awful. But since it doesn’t always happen I assume the solution would be to force a reload of the thread page in question, in order to get ios/safari/twitter/whatever unstuck and get the tweets to display correctly. But I haven’t figured out how to do this. Navigating back and forth between pages doesn’t seem to do the trick...I’m not sure if it’s reloading the page or just loading a cached version. I’ve tried using the toggle in the bottom left to turn images off and on but that doesn’t seem to do it either. I’ve also tried emptying the cache.

So next I tried pulling up the settings and turning off the embedded tweets option, then turning it back on, hoping this would force it to reload. This didn’t fix my problem, but I noticed an odd thing: if I have the thread open on the right, with the broken tweet in question, then toggling the embedded tweets option in the settings on the left will duplicate the tweet, as many times as I toggle the option on and off.

If I navigate to the next page in the thread then navigate back, the duplicates disappear (though the embedded tweet is still broken). I tested this on a page where the embedded tweets are displaying properly, but those don’t duplicate. The duplication thing seems to ONLY happen when the embedded tweets aren’t displaying properly in the first place.

So...is there some trick to getting embedded links to display correctly, or is it an outside-of-Awful issue and I’m out of luck? Also, what’s the deal with the duplication thing?

Shnakepup fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 4, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Does the emoji keyboard not work anymore with iPhone? Seems like I can’t get it to paste into the chat anymore

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mandrel posted:

Does the emoji keyboard not work anymore with iPhone? Seems like I can’t get it to paste into the chat anymore

What you talking about? 🤔

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Odd bug that just started. I'm running the most recent 11.3 public beta. The app doesn't seem to save the most recent view when the phone goes to sleep. I can be in one thread and if the phone sleeps and I wake it the app will show a thread from several minutes ago before refreshing to where I was after a few seconds.

This doesn't seem to happen if I exit the app to the home screen. Only sleep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero One posted:

Odd bug that just started. I'm running the most recent 11.3 public beta. The app doesn't seem to save the most recent view when the phone goes to sleep. I can be in one thread and if the phone sleeps and I wake it the app will show a thread from several minutes ago before refreshing to where I was after a few seconds.

Found your problem

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

Hmm, you might be the first to see an upcoming bug with the new release. I don't have any devices with the beta deployed, but I'll keep an eye out for it once 11.3 ships. Thanks!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Endless Mike posted:

Found your problem

Yeah I know but I wanted our fine developer to be aware of potential issues.

For what it's worth I have only seen this happen with Awful.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zero One posted:

I also have a device running beta, and on it I see this happen with many apps, not just Awful FWIW.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
Had this bug for at least a few releases so I thought I would toss in a report:

Embedded twitter links appear to only be loading every other page within a thread. Meaning, they will load fine one page and after advancing to the next page, the twitter links will not parse and instead just be generic url links to tweets but load just fine again after the page is changed.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just wanted to throw out an idea to make the Awful app even more betterer.

If I’m reading through a giant thread that’s somewhat old and difficult to find, it’d be nice if you could pin it similar to pinning sub forums. That way it stays above your regular list of bookmarks, but is easier to get back to.

Thanks for all the work on making this app cool and good :angel:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m not allowed to use contractions in thread titles. Please help,

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

The buy-sell-trade tags in SA-Mart no longer appear on the icons on the latest released version.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My announcements are all confused. The goon meet one talks about the Olympics forum and vice versa.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Am I missing it or is there not an option to show previous posts by default? Every time I open one of my bookmarks I generally want to look at the last few posts to get my bearings. It's easy enough to bop the button every time but if I could set this as a default it would be great. I dug through and didn't see such an option, but I might have missed it.

98% of the time I'm on an android device (or normal browser) so it's possible there's some apple-ism here that I'm not aware of since I don't use this ipad all that often.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Am I missing it or is there not an option to show previous posts by default? Every time I open one of my bookmarks I generally want to look at the last few posts to get my bearings. It's easy enough to bop the button every time but if I could set this as a default it would be great. I dug through and didn't see such an option, but I might have missed it.

98% of the time I'm on an android device (or normal browser) so it's possible there's some apple-ism here that I'm not aware of since I don't use this ipad all that often.

+1ing this request so hard

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also TBH I'd prefer no end of page scroll equals load next page behavior. I'm scrolling down to last post on not-current page and then poo poo I'm on the next page.

Fake edit: You own for doing this and thank you for doing so. I don't know poo poo about whatever language Apple has turned MAH BEAUTIFUL C into but I can help with random git bullshit etc.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also TBH I'd prefer no end of page scroll equals load next page behavior. I'm scrolling down to last post on not-current page and then poo poo I'm on the next page.

Fake edit: You own for doing this and thank you for doing so. I don't know poo poo about whatever language Apple has turned MAH BEAUTIFUL C into but I can help with random git bullshit etc.

Go to Settings and turn off the toggle for "Pull for Next Page" unless I'm misunderstanding you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This serves my need as hell and thank you!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

this one has been around a while so it's probably known but if you open a thread that's unread, finish reading it (say it's just a few posts) and then go back, it will jump like 80% of the way down the page. it's kind of annoying if I don't want to read that thread any more because I'll have to go track it down to mark it as unread.

anyway thanks for your time spent doing the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I thought it might be useful for you; the issue where posts don't appear properly after using the app for a while until you force quit has changed in the newest beta--now the images for post actions are also only partially loading, where they used to load regardless of the incomplete posts.