Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently the market is down 6.5% or something over the last few days? yawn. wake me up when it's at least double digits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
judge in uber v Waymo is dropping sick burns at the lawyers lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's finally happening

we've been waiting so long for this moment

we're here
i keep feeling like it's not happening enough still

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ate all the Oreos posted:

also bitcoin is crashing hard at the same time

did bitcoin crash the global economy, jfc

it's market makers realizing that they should probably do a lot of profit taking now before things get really stupid

that money that goes out of the stock market usually ends up in commodities and treasuries where it will stay until the same market makers think the stock market has bottomed out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Stymie posted:

all this discussion of tap water is heartening since hopefully it means yosposters are starting to drink water instead of fizzy drinks all day long to satisfy their babypalates, so good on ya yospos

We take mouthfuls of water but then suck on a dental vacuum aspirator so we get a hint of that fizzy sensation we crave and don't over-hydrate

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

one is pumped directly out of the springs, decreasing their available flowrates and affecting wildlife downstream, the other is coming from a well sunk into a completely different far away part of the aquifer that has much less of an impact

uh, thats not how that works. drawing from one part of the aquifer affects it all bro.

thinking like you do is why idiot great plains farmers swear its not THEIR farm that's a problem

lancemantis posted:

or even outside the context of uber, think about lots of places people gather and how many of the groups of people there all drove individually, even when some of them live in the same neighborhoods, because thats just how toxic our car culture is

lol that you believe this.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ArmZ posted:

qfb for account sharing with that guy whose name i can't remember but he got banned for posting about apple stock all the time

well, yeah. when stebe died i can only assume they perma’d his account.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

yeah commodities are going to the moon right now lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

uh, thats not how that works. drawing from one part of the aquifer affects it all bro.

thinking like you do is why idiot great plains farmers swear its not THEIR farm that's a problem

okay fishmech, whatever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

okay fishmech, whatever

This burn is somewhat diminished by the fact you've actually quoted fishmech, though? Hth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

This burn is somewhat diminished by the fact you've actually quoted fishmech, though? Hth.

it's not meant to be a burn or anything i just really don't feel like doing the whole "fishmech arguing against something you didn't actually say while calling you an idiot" thing right now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

nice meltdown, fishmech.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FrozenVent posted:

judge in uber v Waymo is dropping sick burns at the lawyers lol

post them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

it's not meant to be a burn or anything i just really don't feel like doing the whole "fishmech arguing against something you didn't actually say while calling you an idiot" thing right now

have you considered: not saying dumb idiot things, florida man.

i realize it's difficult, being florida and all.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

im in florida rn. it’s a bad place.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960620947349778432

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

im in florida rn. it’s a bad place.

You mentioned that you were there, yes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

He really is the best judge.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/960648430459617281

While neighboring Mountain View plans for 10,000 new homes and politicians throughout the state prioritize what they call a full-fledged housing crisis, Cupertino Mayor Darcy Paul sees things a little differently: He says the housing shortage in his city isn’t dire and doesn’t require drastic action.

His comments are drawing fire from activists who argue Cupertino is on the front lines of a massive housing shortage that’s forcing people to flee the Bay Area for more affordable places.

“It’s not at a point where anyone can justifiably say that we’re at a critical level where drastic measures must be taken,” Paul said during his recent “state of the city” speech, “but the data is telling us that we should pay more attention to ensuring that our housing stock keeps in balance with our job growth.”

“The circumstances are not dire. We have good options,” he continued.

hahahahahahaha

The median price of a Cupertino home is $2.2 million — a 21 percent increase from just a year ago, according to Zillow. That means even well-paid techies are struggling to live here. In 2015, Zillow says, a typical entry-level software engineer would have had to spend 55 percent of his or her monthly income to rent a home in Cupertino, or 69 percent to buy one.

nice

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/960648430459617281

While neighboring Mountain View plans for 10,000 new homes and politicians throughout the state prioritize what they call a full-fledged housing crisis, Cupertino Mayor Darcy Paul sees things a little differently: He says the housing shortage in his city isn’t dire and doesn’t require drastic action.

His comments are drawing fire from activists who argue Cupertino is on the front lines of a massive housing shortage that’s forcing people to flee the Bay Area for more affordable places.

“It’s not at a point where anyone can justifiably say that we’re at a critical level where drastic measures must be taken,” Paul said during his recent “state of the city” speech, “but the data is telling us that we should pay more attention to ensuring that our housing stock keeps in balance with our job growth.”

“The circumstances are not dire. We have good options,” he continued.

hahahahahahaha

The median price of a Cupertino home is $2.2 million — a 21 percent increase from just a year ago, according to Zillow. That means even well-paid techies are struggling to live here. In 2015, Zillow says, a typical entry-level software engineer would have had to spend 55 percent of his or her monthly income to rent a home in Cupertino, or 69 percent to buy one.

nice

probably just a coincidence:

http://cupertinotoday.com/2018/01/09/cupertino-school-board-to-mull-potential-5m-in-cuts/

quote:

Budget cuts of up to $5 million next school year due to declining enrollment and increased costs are set to be discussed at the Cupertino Union School Board meeting this evening at 6 p.m.

In the next five years, enrollment at the Cupertino Unified School District is expected to fall by more than 1,200 students, according to enrollment projection consultants hired by the School Board.

“The projected difference from just October 2017 to October 2018 is by 478 students,” according to their report. “A decline by another 378 is forecast in the following year.”

By 2022, fewer than 16,800 students are expected to attend the school district’s schools compared with the current figure of 18,001.

“Soaring housing prices, including rents, since 2012 are believed to be the main cause of these declining numbers of younger students and births, with many young families no longer being able to afford living in the area,” according to a summary of the report’s findings.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/kimmaicutler/status/959559455774973953

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol that the high housing prices due to being a “good” school district is killing the school district

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

But Paul, a lawyer who was sworn in as Cupertino’s mayor in December, is taking a more cautious approach. He says his residents worry that a massive influx of housing would increase traffic, make the city more congested, change the feel of local neighborhoods and lead to the overcrowding of Cupertino’s desirable schools.

:krakken:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

lol at worrying that adding housing will change the feel of the neighborhood as if the massive number of people that were pushed out by rising prices didn’t already completely alter the neighborhood feel.

the mayor is working for the interests of the wealthy whose houses-cum-investments would lose value if housing wasn’t so scare. prioritizing wealth and property over people, nice.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Huh, weird. I met that lady like 3 years ago because my friend knows her and they came over to my house for drinks once. She said the Soylent guy is actually super nice in person.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a rich person's greatest nightmare is poor* neighbors

*in this case "poor" can be defined as a sub-500k total household income

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

caberham posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16973432/biohacking-aaron-traywick-ascendance-biomedical-health-diy-gene-therapy

Someone injected a live strain virus in front of an audience to "test" the herpes vaccine. It's like traveling back 200 years ago! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Jenner

I know some of the people who put on that conference. Apparently virus-injection guy was enough of an rear end that a lot of people there got frustrated with him. Like, he insisted that he will only take intramuscular shots in his thigh, and therefor he just had to take his pants off in front of the whole crowd.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LanceHunter posted:

I know some of the people who put on that conference. Apparently virus-injection guy was enough of an rear end that a lot of people there got frustrated with him. Like, he insisted that he will only take intramuscular shots in his thigh, and therefor he just had to take his pants off in front of the whole crowd.

lol dude may or may not get some horrible cancer in a decade from the dna altering virus not working quite right.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but but but building more housing will just increase traffic

*totally blocks all housing infill, forcing increasingly larger numbers of workers to commute to the area in their cars*

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16975878/waymo-v-uber-trial-opening-statements-travis-kalanick-emails

quote:

As Uber has taken care to point out, Waymo doesn’t seem that interested in talking about the technology. (Waymo reserved fifteen minutes to discuss the trade secrets in opening statements this morning, Uber reserved over twice as much time). Instead, Waymo is pressing hard on extremely suspicious emails.

And why wouldn’t they? They have what seems to be a bottomless well of embarrassing quotes, the majority of which appear to be Travis Kalanick doing poor impressions of Tyler Durden from Fight Club.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uber is going to "win" a mistrial because the jury will keep asking how they can rule against both companies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

quote:

The report suggests that Levandowski and others really did think they were doing something wrong — they destroyed hard disks, they lied about destroying hard disks, they deleted texts about destroying hard disks, they deleted texts about deleting texts about destroying hard disks.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

also bitcoin is crashing hard at the same time

did bitcoin crash the global economy, jfc

no. all this growth was driven by cheap credit and peopple are realizing that the central bank is about to increase interest rates

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yo dawg i heard you like destroying evidence

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but but but building more housing will just increase traffic

*totally blocks all housing infill, forcing increasingly larger numbers of workers to commute to the area in their cars*

get out of my head, charles!!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who won

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
change the feel

:guillotine:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Amethyst posted:

no. all this growth was driven by cheap credit and peopple are realizing that the central bank is about to increase interest rates

I dunno I reckon the Bitcoin crash will lead to a lot of disillusioned investors regarding any kind of technology investment for a while, how big of an impact that is I dunno.

Your average person probably thinks Bitcoin is traded on a normal stock exchange. Also don't forget a bunch of startups using "blockchain" as a buzzword to gain funding.

I don't know poo poo about global markets, just a gut feeling

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if you want a fun podcast on California housing

https://player.fm/series/left-coast-1528758/e029-hgtvs-housefuckers-la-zoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

meatpotato posted:

lol at worrying that adding housing will change the feel of the neighborhood as if the massive number of people that were pushed out by rising prices didn’t already completely alter the neighborhood feel.

the mayor is working for the interests of the wealthy whose houses-cum-investments would lose value if housing wasn’t so scare. prioritizing wealth and property over people, nice.

that's not change they can see from their decks, great rooms, and infiniti SUVs