Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Surprised there isn't any mention of the Danny Devito M&M commercial where he is basically Frank Reynolds asking people if they want to eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=num58Pwnvdk

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I saw a teaser thing of Danny swimming in m&m chocolate naked. The actual commercial does not live up.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
For true realism, A.P. Bio should be an online course.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

I saw a teaser thing of Danny swimming in m&m chocolate naked. The actual commercial does not live up.

This.

The commercial's teaser (and I can't believe that's a loving thing--god dammit, capitalism, stop it!) was infinitely better than the actual commercial. At least, it was for me. It was just so gross and surprising; the actual commercial is... well, not bad, and it's kind-of neat, but it's got no shock value.

To me, the chocolate bath commercial was Frank Reynolds. The other one was just standard, goofy Danny DeVito. Not nearly creepy enough to be Frank.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, I don't think they really did. You've got a philosophy lecturer teaching biology; only one class seems to have noticed the new teacher parked his car on the school sign; a teen was drafted into an advanced class at random despite their not wanting to be there, but for some reason still makes regular attendance despite the roll never being called; the school principal is apparently responsible for collecting his students from the police (and then taking them around to teacher's houses!?); the students are bizarrely committed to learning (but haven't had their new teacher fired for teaching them how to sext); half the characters are cartoons...

I'm not saying you can't explain away every single one of these departures from reality, but I'd argue that together they suggest the show isn't particularly well tethered to the real world. It's a joke machine.

I totally agree with the joke machine part, but I don't think it's just that.

Philosophy lecturer teaching biology: I don't know about AP accreditation standards, but it's a private company so it can probably make exceptions at its whim compared to the public sector. Speaking of, as a youth I would get letters before the start of every year in my public schools stating "X teacher is not educated in the area that they will be teaching this year. They took a ~1 week summer course so we're cool with it, though. I hope you are, too, since there is no other option." So, gently caress that angle.

Only one classes noticed Dennis hitting the sign: we don't really know that and I don't know how it's relevant.

Student drafted into AP: I get the complaint. It's possible, though, that the school paid the fee.

Regular attendance despite the roll not being called: this is classic school overachievers, though. If you're successfully taught by your family to always follow the rules and be a try-hard you would show up to class even if the teacher never showed up. poo poo, students might even worry about firing the teacher since it means they won't be in AP anymore and will accept the lesser of two evils/the evil they know (think of when the gym teacher or whatever took Dennis' place and poo poo is still terrible). I've first-hand seen classes where the teacher teaches the completely wrong level math class and the students didn't complain enough to get this fixed. Students often don't have enough avenues for recourse against authority figures such as teachers and parents. That's kind of a theme of the show and a part of life.

Principal taking students from the police: idk

Students bizarrely committed to learning: See the paragraph above. If you doubt this you've never met these types of students or are one yourself and lack self-perspective. I am all for a liberal education spanning many topics, but these classes are geared for people doing things because they find the activity to be so inflatedly important to their life goals at such a young age that questioning the process would effectively be questioning life itself.

As an aside, I think the mean girls teacher group is interesting so far. Two of them seem like completely lovely assholes. One thing I haven't seen people bring up is that they were the ones in the first place to encourage Dennis to use his students to do his bidding. There are deans and professors each year that get in trouble for making their student workers do lawn work, drive them around town, or whatever. Oh, wait. Posts in this thread make me realize that students under 18 would never stand for this, so why would a student in college!?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yeah, like basically every single comedy out there, this show isn't striving for realism. None of those kids are acting anything like a real life kid would act -- they've not got their phones out, there's no talking or slacking off, not even when they've received direct permission to do so. This show's about as realistic as pretty much any other prime time comedy that you could poke a stick at; Community, Parks and Rec,30 Rock... not sure why this one's getting hit with the realism stick.

These kids are the tryhards. If this were a normal Biology class, sure, they would all be on their cell phones and taking selfies. These kids chose to take the advanced class, they aren't there to gently caress around.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Vice principals was a good show though

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

tarlibone posted:

To me, the chocolate bath commercial was Frank Reynolds. The other one was just standard, goofy Danny DeVito. Not nearly creepy enough to be Frank.

I don't know what the real commercial is but I will not seek it out because I want it to be a combination of this and my fav Frank scene where he is shaved and swimming in hand sanitizer on the office floor.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing but me laughing all day remembering this:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Glenn did a reddit with Patton Oswald (Oswalt?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7w11rf/this_is_glenn_howerton_and_patton_oswalt_from?sort=top

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was ruined by the constant "Hey, isn't Dennis super awesome? Please notice our creepy trumpster style Dennis subreddit."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Sean posted:

Students bizarrely committed to learning: See the paragraph above. If you doubt this you've never met these types of students or are one yourself and lack self-perspective. I am all for a liberal education spanning many topics, but these classes are geared for people doing things because they find the activity to be so inflatedly important to their life goals at such a young age that questioning the process would effectively be questioning life itself.

I mean, look, there are explanations for every plot hole out there, even the police custody one if we want to gesture wildly into the realm of fanfiction (Patton Oswalt is the kid's father! Boom! Ridiculous solution activate!) but this highlighted bit is a pack of nonsense. I was that kid, I went to the best school in the country, I topped my state and I lived that life -- and then hosed things up, I'm not trying to boast, only to explain.

Smart kids don't act like that. Okay, sure, our kids weren't bringing machetes to school like one local school did, or making GBS threads in teacher's desks like the school next door. Most of us cared about doing the work. But as soon as we felt that our needs weren't being immediately and totally catered for we were skiving off.

Smart kids are still on their phones at their first opportunity they get. They chat, get distracted, don't pay attention and bully the poo poo out of each other. They're still as self-obsessed as other teens, only this time they're bullying the Chinese transfer student because she's going to bring down the grade's average and not just because they're bored and racist.

What they don't do is come to school in business clothes because they discovered the developed sympathy for their teacher while in the process of trying to break into the man's house. Only comedy characters do that.

Look, this is just a really long winded way of saying that the characters in this don't act like real people, at all, so complaining about a lack of realism is pointless and off target. It has a heightened reality for comedic effect. It's not The Wire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

moist turtleneck posted:

Vice principals was a good show though

:agreed:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The phone thing is weird, but it's even weirder that nobody seems to actually have a cellphone at all in Toledo at least.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Smart kids are still on their phones at their first opportunity they get. They chat, get distracted, don't pay attention and bully the poo poo out of each other. They're still as self-obsessed as other teens, only this time they're bullying the Chinese transfer student because she's going to bring down the grade's average and not just because they're bored and racist.

Your rhetoric seems fair enough. I should have said "committed to success" rather than "learning" and I think the think you bring up about bullying the transfer student to bring down the average may be some common ground for us. Another anecdote: years ago I worked for a university with a very competitive program that students needed basically 4.0 to get into grad school. One prof used to make "go to dinner with me" a requirement for each student and this went on forever without any formal complaints.

Looking A.P. Bio up on Wikipedia just now, I learned that the show was created by SNL alum Mike O'Brien. I knew that Lorne was involved but I didn't realize the exec producer group were all hardcore SNL people; I'm even more pumped for the show now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe, kids in Toledo just don't have smart phones yet? Even the bully kid that got pulled into the class doesn't use a cell phone.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cojawfee posted:

These kids are the tryhards. If this were a normal Biology class, sure, they would all be on their cell phones and taking selfies. These kids chose to take the advanced class, they aren't there to gently caress around.

I took AP classes in high school and spent the whole time reading other books and loving around. Most of the class did. Smart people can also gently caress around.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I mean if were just using our own experiences as evidence, then actually, these characters are great. When I was in high school we had an ap us history teacher that had a stroke and we had some random teacher come in and basically just give us free reign. No-one took advantage of that other than the few times the stoner kid came high to class, and in fact, we basically spent the semester teaching each other sections from the curriculum on our own.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://i.imgur.com/SL5GyuE.gifv

Stolen from the Trump lol thread.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Finally, machine learning being used for something good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm almost disappointed they won't write Dennis out by sending him to prison for being a serial killer.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm almost disappointed they won't write Dennis out by sending him to prison for being a serial killer.

Being wanted, and being "wanted for questioning", are two very different things.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you had the resources and home life to do well enough in school to get college credits, let alone if you went to college :smuggo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just randomly decided to rewatch season 7 of It's Always Sunny after suddenly remembering the episode where they get stuck in a closet during a botched burglary. I forgot that season was the debut of Fat Mac and God I love Fat Mac so much :allears:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You should have gotten chips at the hamburger store is a perfect line and you can tell they had to cut immediately because charlie couldn't not laugh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Hey Charlie, how come only Mac gets to push the button on the walkie-talkie?"
:stare:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

You should have gotten chips at the hamburger store is a perfect line and you can tell they had to cut immediately because charlie couldn't not laugh

You can see Mac break at the end of The Gang Desperately Tries to Win An Award as soon as Charlie sings "There's a spider..." , which is another great line. That whole song is great, actually.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jason Sextro posted:

You can see Mac break at the end of The Gang Desperately Tries to Win An Award as soon as Charlie sings "There's a spider..." , which is another great line. That whole song is great, actually.

It’s probably my favorite Charlie moment to be honest because he writes such a beautiful little ditty earlier and they lock him in the basement

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably my favorite Charlie moment to be honest because he writes such a beautiful little ditty earlier and they lock him in the basement

oh god that's so loving funny. it's like the cheers intro, just this cute little piano tune. its a little paul newman-y but it's got some edge.

they pretend to be into it and dance him towards a lockable door.

lmao the gang are loving animals

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just remembering any of those scenes is making me giggle like a madman
Goddammit Netflix why'd you drop the ball so hard and not renew the rights to keep running iasip on your lovely platform

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Could be Fox didn't want to keep it on Netflix.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Jersey Shore episode is loving magical. I forgot all about Dee's hair getting caught on the carnival ride and Dennis puking in slow-motion. Also the loving dog in the hospital :xd:

Plus the line,"Charlie... did you rape me last night?" shouldn't make me laugh as hard as it does.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Season 7 is the best season but somehow still has the episode everyone agrees is the worst.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

drunken officeparty posted:

Season 7 is the best season but somehow still has the episode everyone agrees is the worst.

Which one is that?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I’d guess Frank’s Brother.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Frank’s Brother isn’t the best, but I will fight any jabroni who says it’s the worst.

Who Pooped the Bed? is the worst episode. :colbert:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Frank's Brother has Lance Reddick and Jon Polito (RIP), therefore it can never be the worst.

The Gang Exploits The Mortgage Crisis is on my bad list.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Frank's Brother was one I initially disliked and avoided, then when I finally revisited it, I found I liked it. My least favorite Always Sunny is definitely the high school reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The high school reunion has some good moments (Mac's name, Dennis' trunk, the dance scene) but yeah it's not fantastic overall.