Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

Vive/Oculus are rendering at an effective ‎2160×1200 not 1080p, which is probably why the 1070 was struggling a bit.

As far as I'm aware, by default all VR games render at a somewhat-higher-than-native resolution to help with clarity on the otherwise low resolution screens.

You're also looking at a 90Hz target refresh rate, vsync always forced on, dropping to 45Hz if you miss the target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah and I'm using WMR so I think it's 1440 vertical and 1.4x supersample. Forgot about that I thought it was 1080p for some reason.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^^ A common "trick" to get better experiences in VR was to run at lower settings with no AA but use the dev tools to scale the res to 2x, ends up being more consistent and less pukey. Idk if that is still the case

repiv posted:

The physical SLI bridge (or XDMA in AMDs case) can still be used to accelerate cross-card transfers, and nearly all of the DX12 mGPU implementations so far require it. mGPU doesn't use any of the classic SLI/CF driver magic though.

When people say "modern rendering techniques work poorly with SLI" they really mean that modern rendering techniques are a poor fit for multi-GPU in general though, not SLI specifically. mGPU gives more flexibility to work around those limitations but doesn't solve anything by itself.

Word, thanks. I don't anticipate it ever really being a double-effectiveness magic bullet for rendering, but I'm hopeful devs start using it to accelerate physics/spatial sound/AI

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
With the ongoing buttcoin crash, I hope at least one of you was able to take advantage of the dip in Nvidia's stock price for a quick profit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a way to poll eBay for the average bidding price for a search term like 1080 ti? I'd like to see what the used prices of the cards are going for and compare it to crypto prices.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

With the ongoing buttcoin crash, I hope at least one of you was able to take advantage of the dip in Nvidia's stock price for a quick profit.

I only invest in real things, like bitcoin :colbert:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Had a 1070 at final checkout on Newegg for $489 and decided against it. Hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end. I'll hold out for a 1070Ti for $450, it has to happen eventually right :ohdear:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Alpha Mayo posted:

Had a 1070 at final checkout on Newegg for $489 and decided against it. Hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end. I'll hold out for a 1070Ti for $450, it has to happen eventually right :ohdear:

There was a time when a brand new good 1080 was $410 shipped so its not far fetched.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

jonathan posted:

Is there a way to poll eBay for the average bidding price for a search term like 1080 ti? I'd like to see what the used prices of the cards are going for and compare it to crypto prices.

Ebay has really bad APIs for making programs yourself (or did last time I looked) but searching for sold items and only for auctions can give you a pretty good idea for the last couple weeks of ended auctions.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You may be better off setting your sights on the 1080. There are a lot more of them on the market (given the 1070 Ti's very late release) and the 1070 Ti is the most efficient mining card of this generation for most coins, so it will probably be the one that miners choose to retain when profits drop. The 1080 has a few weak spots due to its GDDR5X.

Numbers from whattomine.com, and yes these include undervolting and BIOS mods (for AMD cards)

(despite the meme'ing about how great AMD cards are for compute/mining, they have really poo poo efficiency, they're just cheap.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 5, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Also if you are trying to get a video card for around MSRP, I can offer some advice.

Don't use Nowinstock.net directly, they even say they lag too much due to the demand. Instead use the Google Groups they set up for notifications:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070-ti
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti

Subscribe to what you are trying to get. Then after subscribing, instead of waiting for email notifications to arrive, download an RSS reader like it's 2002, I like QuiteRSS.
The RSS feeds for those groups can be found on the About link on the Group site.
Then go into your options and set Automatically Update to a ridiculously low value, like 5 seconds. You also want to set up your Notification options so it creates a tray popup.
Make sure to have your billing info up-to-date on the major sites and not-as-popular sites like bhphotovideo.com or nVidia Store so you can check out quickly.

When you get a popup, you have to move on it right away. Consider even keeping images disabled to give you an edge if you are really desperate.
Only problem I have is the QuiteRSS isn't hyperlinking the actual URL, so I have to copy and paste it into a browser. Maybe there is a way to fix that or some other RSS reader might be better, I don't know.

Even with this method I've had zero luck with the Amazon links, probably because of their One Click order making it too easy to snatch up. But it gives you a good shot at cards from any other store.

Or you can just wait another couple weeks for demand to die down (hopefully).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

You may be better off setting your sights on the 1080. There are a lot more of them on the market (given the 1070 Ti's very late release) and the 1070 Ti is the most efficient mining card of this generation for most coins, so it will probably be the one that miners choose to retain when profits drop. The 1080 has a few weak spots due to its GDDR5X.

Numbers from whattomine.com, and yes these include undervolting and BIOS mods (for AMD cards)

(despite the meme'ing about how great AMD cards are for compute/mining, they have really poo poo efficiency, they're just cheap.)

I think AMD cards were better in the first bubble, back when people were mining Bitcoin. Back then the price inflation only impacted AMD cards, at least, and the subsequent glut of used cards also only impacted AMD. Presumably the Maxwell -> Pascal leap was just so good that it overshadowed whatever advantage AMD originally had

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

New Zealand can eat me posted:

^^ A common "trick" to get better experiences in VR was to run at lower settings with no AA but use the dev tools to scale the res to 2x, ends up being more consistent and less pukey. Idk if that is still the case

Depends on the game. Deferred renderers don't tend to cope well with supersampling since it hammers memory bandwidth, they're not a good fit for VR. Forward renderers you can usually crank, mixed renderers are predictably somewhere in between, usually benefiting most from TAA and some light supersampling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I have to say, r/cryptocurrency is a beautiful place right now, it's all either people screaming at each other to hold instead of sell and to buy more coins or pure, sweet despair. :unsmigghh:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have to say, r/cryptocurrency is a beautiful place right now, it's all either people screaming at each other to hold instead of sell and to buy more coins or pure, sweet despair. :unsmigghh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How does the joke go?

A boy asked his dad for 1 bitcoin for his birthday.
Dad exclaims, "What? $11,050??? $9,756 is a lot of money! What are you going to do with $7,283?!"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Regulation is good for Bitcoin...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Cloud3514/status/960725771244490752

yes, hahaha, yes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm pretty shocked that when they started hyperinflating the prices that they didn't amend their return policies for a single week or so.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my 1060 6gig is down to $1.32 a day w/ nicehash before power. thats firmly getting to not worth it territory.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How does the joke go?

A boy asked his dad for 1 bitcoin for his birthday.
Dad exclaims, "What? $11,050??? $9,756 is a lot of money! What are you going to do with $6,307?!"

Fixed. :devil:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pretty shocked that when they started hyperinflating the prices that they didn't amend their return policies for a single week or so.

I have people that call our shop wanting to buy poo poo that is obviously for mining. I always tell them zero returns and never hear from them again.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cygni posted:

my 1060 6gig is down to $1.32 a day w/ nicehash before power. thats firmly getting to not worth it territory.

It was never worth it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

It was never worth it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I put in completely random numbers, you could fixed it and still be completely inaccurate because of how it's tanking.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
So now that the GPU selloff might happen - is it worth replacing a 980 Ti with a 1080 Ti? I play at 1080p but at 144Hz and I have run into games where my card can't handle that (even at low-medium)

I was planning on waiting for Volta/Ampere but if 1080 Tis end up going at a firesale price I'm gonna be tempted

e: also my 980 Ti is only like 5% over stock speeds and can't go higher, if that matters

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
...And its $6070. C'mon where's the next MtGox already?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

So now that the GPU selloff might happen - is it worth replacing a 980 Ti with a 1080 Ti? I play at 1080p but at 144Hz and I have run into games where my card can't handle that (even at low-medium)

I was planning on waiting for Volta/Ampere but if 1080 Tis end up going at a firesale price I'm gonna be tempted

e: also my 980 Ti is only like 5% over stock speeds and can't go higher, if that matters

This late in the generation you might as well just hold out until Ampere. Otherwise, if you can get a 1080 Ti for real low cheap then why not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Thank gently caress maybe I can actually buy a low profile 1150ti (i'm addicted to gimmick cards :shepface:) lol wait ram prices will keep going up nevermind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh come on, we've been through this already, AS! There's single-slot low-profile 1030s! Are we really going to do this song and dance again?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
We probably won't see the 1160 until Q1-Q2 '19.

I do wonder what the default frame buffers will be for the x70/x80 SKUs this time around, though. I'd imagine 10GB of GDDR5X for the x70 and 12GB of GDDR6 for the x80. I can't see them going 12/16 with memory prices as-is.

But when an 1160 *does* come around, I'm willing to bet it'll have 8GB of GDDR5 on the launch models.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm going with 8 GB on the 1160, 11/12 on the 1170/80. 1180 Ti will be 12. Probably end up with two Titan SKUs on the GA100 die, one at 12 and one at 16.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hopefully buttcoins keep on sinking and stay low. Used gpu markets look promising too, time for $600 1080ti?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And it wasn't but last week that there were people bitching about why they don't make more cards to meet customer demand.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully buttcoins keep on sinking and stay low. Used gpu markets look promising too, time for $600 1080ti?

dont count on it. any 1080ti that has made ROI will be profitable for a long while. Look for 1070s and 1070ti at $100 under msrp

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think that I would ever buy a used video card from someone I didn't know. I have no faith in a stranger's word that a used video card wasn't put through several hundred or thousand hours of mining nor was it kept in a well-ventilated environment or in a caseless setup.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good more for us. open air rigs run gpus at 55c all day even with 6 cards next to it. Even the closet rigs are cooler than most cases.
Dont buy from the guy selling 2-5 GPUs, buy from the guy selling 20. Its in their best interest for serious miners to run their GPUs cool and undervolted

Dont buy amd and dont buy blowers. Buy EVGA with transferable warranty

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 6, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SK Hynix Lists GDDR6 Memory as ‘Available Now’, Publishes Final Specs

No excuses now Nvidia, give us Ampere :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

What do you mean but "Can't Handle it at low-medium settings?" Like, sometimes running slightly below 144fps? A 980ti should be able to push a 1080p monitor at max or near-max well above 100fps stable. My 1070 (pretty equivalent) does just about every game at 1440p over 100FPS.

If your having performance problem it may be something else in your system, or your 980ti is getting throttled to hell. If you cannot stand anything but a rock-steady 144fps I'd suggest spending the money on a GSync monitor instead.