Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Thanks for all your advice guys! We've set up a second litter box with some outdoor material (leaves and soil) thrown on top of a base layer of litter. It's been just over 24 hours since we brought him back and he hasn't peed or pooped yet, probably because of the stress. He'll almost certainly not be able to hold it for that much longer, but we're totally expecting him to fail to use either of the litter boxes early on.

My girlfriend's place is a pretty small two-bedroom ground floor apartment, but in a dense urban neighborhood. There really isn't any way for us to set up a confined outdoor area for him, unfortunately.

Anyway, when my girlfriend got home he bolted at the door and got outside and nearly managed to get himself somewhere inaccessible. I was able to grab him and bring him back inside, but he did get a nice scratch in on me with my hind legs. He proceeded to spend most of the evening hiding under my girlfriend's bed, and then we had to pull him out to give him his medications. This cat is not a happy guy today.

But look at him! How can we not try to give him a better life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Look at this! He got it right on his first try! That's a very good kitty. Thanks for all your help, everyone!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I don't know what's going on with Todd. He's been losing weight for a couple of months, but eating fine, and his blood work is totally normal.

In kitten news, the children have officially forced a name change to Bootsie since that's what the name on his paperwork was. We still call him Katten. But we also call him Fucker...affectionately. Even Todd, in his laziest of states, and grumpy old Prinny are playing with him. Chino has particularly taken to Lil' Fucker, and they play all the drat time.

I don't like being woken by claws in my feet though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

paperwind posted:

Look at this! He got it right on his first try! That's a very good kitty. Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Ah, that litter tray does look on the small size for that huge a cat.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah, that litter tray does look on the small size for that huge a cat.

Yeah, we're going to get him a bigger one, but I'm still proud of him. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

I don't know what's going on with Todd. He's been losing weight for a couple of months, but eating fine, and his blood work is totally normal.

They tested for thyroid issues, right?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Important question: Tuna loves being scratched right at the top of the base of his tail. What's the right way to refer to this area? I feel like a cat's butt is distinctly below the tail, but referring to it as his lower back also seems wrong.

That's the "gently caress yes" spot!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

paperwind posted:

:kimchi: What a good boy!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

BabyFur Denny posted:

My cat is a cat and really crazy for plain salted chips (just potatoes + sunflower oil + salt as ingredients according to the bag). Is that ok to feed her (as a treat) or am I a bad cat person for doing so?

An occasional chip is pretty okay, but not a whole bunch at once. Too much salt and oil.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why has my cat, 6 months old, clean bill of health, has toys, attention, and a companion, started to spend half the night screaming the loudest, most pathetic meows possible? He’ll walk around just MROW MROW MRRRRRROOOOW MROW MROW ing on and off and it’s loud enough to hear from the parking lot of my 3rd story apartment. He has always been vocal but apparently night time is loving cat karaoke or something now. He doesn’t eben react if you offer him love or treats. Just looks at you stupidly and then MRRROOOAAAW :(

Other kitten remains drat-near silent and gives 0 shits about his meowing, just looks at him like “wtf dude?”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 2, 2018

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why has my cat, 6 months old, clean bill of health, has toys, attention, and a companion, started to spend half the night screaming the loudest, most pathetic meows possible? He’ll walk around just MROW MROW MRRRRRROOOOW MROW MROW ing on and off and it’s loud enough to hear from the parking lot of my 3rd story apartment. He has always been vocal but apparently night time is loving cat karaoke or something now. He doesn’t eben react if you offer him love or treats. Just looks at you stupidly and then MRRROOOAAAW :(
Sounds like your cat is a cat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LunarShadow posted:

Sounds like your cat is a cat.

It’s to the point of ruining my sleep and he really needs to stfu

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other kitten remains drat-near silent and gives 0 shits about his meowing, just looks at him like “wtf dude?”

Is he fixed?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s to the point of ruining my sleep and he really needs to stfu

My first question is honestly if he has been neutered yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My cat loves the climbing tree/scratching post I bought for him so much that the twine for the scratching part is starting to shred and fall off. Is there a special kind of twinge I should buy to re-wrap it with? I don't want to run out and get a random type since I don't want to accidentally buy a grade that's too course and ends up hurting his paws.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The thing you want is Sisal Rope

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Great, thank you.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My cat loves the climbing tree/scratching post I bought for him so much that the twine for the scratching part is starting to shred and fall off. Is there a special kind of twinge I should buy to re-wrap it with? I don't want to run out and get a random type since I don't want to accidentally buy a grade that's too course and ends up hurting his paws.
The material is called Sisal Rope

My cats have used their post enough that it frayed a lot and started to unravel. I just went in with a hot glue gun and liberally applied to the core and re-wrapped the rope, never bothered buying more rope. I've done this repair twice, in different spots and the scratcher is still usable. I also tend to just trim the longer fraying fibers wherever it looks like it needs it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why I am never adopting a kitten.

https://i.imgur.com/OIaQNKl.mp4

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Why I am never adopting a kitten.

https://i.imgur.com/OIaQNKl.mp4

This video is a perfect example of why to adopt a kitten tho??

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Ms Adequate posted:

:kimchi: What a good boy!

Not only that, but he also managed his first poop in the box last night at about 3 AM. He made sure to let my girlfriend know it by waking her up with a proud, loud meow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

important news, cats fit in clothes for babies 0-3 months.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thumposaurus posted:

Is he fixed?

Yes :(

I love him but jeez I am slowly going insane alongside him

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unfortunately he is still a kitten and its a kitten thing. Has he got any stuffed toys?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Look who wandered into the livetrap.

You may be wondering what kind of person would put a declawed housepet outside for 3 weeks in subzero rural Michigan weather. The answer is scum.

Unfortunately a rather common problem given that my parents live "near the farm upstate" with a barn and all. No chip, no collar, un-fixed. After they lost a cat they're into TNR and the trailcams say this guy has been camping out on the porch and in the barn for a few weeks now. Crazy thin and matted. Clearly used to be someone's pet.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 3, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Paul MaudDib posted:

You may be wondering what kind of person would put a declawed housepet outside for 3 weeks in subzero rural Michigan weather. The answer is scum.

Unfortunately a rather common problem given that my parents live "near the farm upstate" with a barn and all. No chip, no collar, un-fixed. Been wandering around the trailcams on the porch and in the barn for a few weeks now. Crazy thin and matted. Clearly used to be someone's pet.

oh no

At least he's safe now. Can you get him taken care of?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Antivehicular posted:

oh no

At least he's safe now. Can you get him taken care of?

Yup, I'm going to take him. He's been in for two days now and is apparently doing OK interacting with the herd as long as he gets to sleep alone (very good considering he's been out a while). As of today he's even using the litterbox.

We're making a perfunctory effort with local vets/humane society/pet shops/craigslist but there haven't been any lost notices within the last few weeks. Not expecting much, this is roughly #10 within the last 3 years or so. They've taken a couple themselves, adopted a couple out, and there are a few ferals who they TNR'd who hang around the shelters when it gets cold.

Really good timing considering the temperature is plummeting this weekend.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 3, 2018

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unfortunately a rather common problem given that my parents live "near the farm upstate" with a barn and all. No chip, no collar, un-fixed. After they lost a cat they're into TNR and the trailcams say this guy has been camping out on the porch and in the barn for a few weeks now. Crazy thin and matted. Clearly used to be someone's pet.

Oh that poor fluffy baby! He looks like such a sweetheart from your picture. I'm glad you can take him in and give him a good home. Our fluffy gal was similarly abandoned and left to have babies, so around Thanksgiving 2016 we brought her and her 4 kittens in. She's gone from "I dunno about you humans" to "here you take my little hellions for a while" to, after finding the kittens new homes and getting her spayed, "hey human, it is snuggle time. Let me sleep on your head and purr."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup, I'm going to take him. He's been in for two days now and is apparently doing OK interacting with the herd as long as he gets to sleep alone (very good considering he's been out a while). As of today he's even using the litterbox.

We're making a perfunctory effort with local vets/humane society/pet shops/craigslist but there haven't been any lost notices within the last few weeks. Not expecting much, this is roughly #10 within the last 3 years or so. They've taken a couple themselves, adopted a couple out, and there are a few ferals who they TNR'd who hang around the shelters when it gets cold.

Really good timing considering the temperature is plummeting this weekend.

I'm really glad you're able to take him in. I have a soft spot for cats like that, who were clearly owned and dumped, or who were owned but not properly cared for. (One of our guys came into the shelter as an un-neutered 2-year-old with a collar. Glaring at you from across time and space, previous owners.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have a cat question, kinda nutrition / kinda "stop being so loving stupid, cat" / kinda what the gently caress I have no clue.

Background:
About a month ago, one of my two cats (10 years old for both) ate his food super quickly and then ate his sister's food when we weren't looking. He then did the usual routine and threw it up all over the loving place. This, of course, is normal. I had this one coming. The odd surprise was that he upset his stomach so much that he wouldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day, or the next two days after that. Add to it tons of drool (like, stereotypical St. Bernard dog levels of drool) and him hiding constantly (and unusually) in closets, and we had him off to the vet pronto.

Clean X-Rays, bloodwork and an IV later, the unofficial official verdict was "he's a loving idiot." He set himself off with the overeating and then the nausea from not eating gave him a downward spiral. He was given famotidine and an injection anti-nausea treatment to calm him down enough to get some food into his stomach. He went back to being his usual lovable rear end in a top hat self, and he thanked me for the $800 vet bill by knocking a painting off a wall that night. Business as usual.

Current:
Last night, I gave the two cats a different food from what I usually provide. I was out of their regular stuff (Weruva Fowl Ball wet food or Wellness Turkey wet food) and our pet store was also out of equivalents. He was given, instead, Weruva "Tuna + Sardine + Turkey" wet food. The Fowl Ball arrived in this morning's package delivery. He threw up last night's dinner all over the place and is right back in the closets again, though this time with less (but still a little) drool. The surprise, today, is that his sister also will not eat. She hasn't thrown up and is still a ball of cuddles instead of hiding, but she won't eat either. She always eats. I had to control her portions originally because she had no 'off' button for her eating. No drool or anything for her. Both cats are using the litter box properly; the sick one just races back to the closet and hides when he's done.

So here I am with two cats who will not eat their usual food now that it's back. The vet's not open until Monday, and I suspect I'm going to be told I have a stupid cat / was a stupid owner for changing their food like that anyway.

So, my question: Is this reaction in the sick cat something you'd reasonably expect to see from an idiot flipping protein sources on a 10-yr-old cat?

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 4, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats are huge idiots unfortunately!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yep, cats are idiots. See if you can coax them to eat anything at all. Maybe plain chicken? Cats go downhill very fast if they don't eat and it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle as you saw the first time it happened, so getting them to eat at least something is better than nothing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I am like convinced at this point that each and every cat in existence has SOME "weird food thing". Usually more than one. The thing is... A lot of them are actually weirdly anxiety-based, and often it has to do with one cat eating another cat's food, and it can *ultimately* be difficult to regulate.

I had a similar problem when Sardine was still around at first; Jackie would feel threatened and get scared of her food getting eaten so she'd bully Sardine away and lick all the gravy and eat as much of both as she could before throwing up - usually in one of the bowls while eating - and it turned into a really foul smelling nightmare with cats re-consuming vomit and throwing it up again sometimes. Not something I like to think about.

I ultimately had to figure out how to feed them not only separately, but on different schedules. If you SET a schedule and have your iphone go off on the correct times every day when you give your cat exactly what they need - no more, no less. Helps quite a bit, especially with older cats.

On a side-note, I had a total epiphany of what Jackie's infamously unpleasant "annoyed/impatient/disapproving"-sounding meow/growl. Definitely somewhere between a meow and growl. I realized that Jackie sounds EXACTLY like the sound Marge Simpson makes when she is annoyed or worried. It is just uncanny.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jinx wanted through a closed door just now so I let him through, only instead of going off somewhere he apparently stopped and sat at just the right distance to flick the tip of his tail back in exactly as I was closing it :( He yelped real loud but we think it's just bruised. I feel awful even though it was just a dumb accident with nobody at fault. :qq:

Anyway cats are dumb.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ms Adequate posted:

Jinx wanted through a closed door just now so I let him through, only instead of going off somewhere he apparently stopped and sat at just the right distance to flick the tip of his tail back in exactly as I was closing it :( He yelped real loud but we think it's just bruised. I feel awful even though it was just a dumb accident with nobody at fault. :qq:

Anyway cats are dumb.

You didn't give him enough time to decide if he wanted to go in or out or in, or out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

He is fine today, and yes I admit it is my fault for not catering to his endless deliberations!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Yuk

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cats are huge idiots unfortunately!

quote:

Yep, cats are idiots. See if you can coax them to eat anything at all. Maybe plain chicken? Cats go downhill very fast if they don't eat and it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle as you saw the first time it happened, so getting them to eat at least something is better than nothing.

Yep, idiot he is.

$260 later, he's on another round of anti-nausea injection, IV hydration/electrolytes, famotidine, and a few cans of bland food to get him eating again. He ate this morning after the vet, and I'll see how he's doing when I get home from work. Man, he went downhill fast this time. This morning before vet, he was having (what we think were) cramps and falling over from dehydration. I need to find an emergency vet for pronto IV before next time this happens, preferably one who doesn't charge 10X the regular vet rate, since he keeps deciding to get sick on Friday nights / Saturday mornings.

The vet is changing his hyperthyroid medication to a topical in case he's not handling it well. I don't think that's the root cause based on timing, but hey, worth a shot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Additional proof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Additional proof:

I'm sorry, your cat is broken.