Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I fear you are all forgetting sweet precious dear sweet Fefeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

When I was a kid watching Digimon I learned an important principle: characters being mashed together is the surest sign that an author is out of ideas.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scarodactyl posted:

When I was a kid watching Digimon I learned an important principle: characters being mashed together is the surest sign that an author is out of ideas.

See DBZ

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Eh, Steven Universe made it work.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Scarodactyl posted:

gently caress you, Tamers was and still is awesome

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

you can't run out of ideas if you never had ideas in the first place

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rand Brittain posted:

Debatable, the rules on fusion are remarkably inconsistent and as a metaphor it's pretty sloppy and gets worse the more you think about it.

The one time I've seen the whole mashing two characters together thing done well is in Digimon season 3. In Digimon season 2 fusion was just another dumb power up the way most shows treat it. However, in Digimon season 3 the whole fusion thing only happens near the end of the series and is symbolic of the characters completing their arcs and overcoming their various hangups. It actually feels like a logical point to go to after a full year of building up the importance of teamwork and confronting your problems head on.

Plom Bar posted:

gently caress you, Tamers was and still is awesome

This girl gets it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
at this point i am not watching stephen universal because of how much crossover there was between fans and people who liked the homestuck ends

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Combining characters could be a good idea in a gamified story.

Like in these gamified stories with big casts one of the big deals is who makes alliances and who doesn't and how well those work, even if you don't have literal fusion characters. I'd like to see more people explore it as a starting point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Combining characters could be a good idea in a gamified story.

Like in these gamified stories with big casts one of the big deals is who makes alliances and who doesn't and how well those work, even if you don't have literal fusion characters. I'd like to see more people explore it as a starting point.

You're describing Fire Emblem. I don't know if that's the joke or if you've just never played one before, but that's one of the core mechanics of the Fire Emblem series: You pair characters up, their bonds get stronger, and then they fight together better. I recommend playing Fire Emblem: Awakenings if you haven't already and want to see how this mechanic plays out (I think it's pretty great).

But yeah, other games copying this mechanic and maybe even expanding on it would definitely be something I'd be interested in playing.

Clawtopsy posted:

at this point i am not watching stephen universal because of how much crossover there was between fans and people who liked the homestuck ends

At this point Steven Universe is, much like Homestuck, on Hiatus most of the time and it's unclear whether the hiatuses will ever stop. It really hinders the flow of the show and has caused the fandom to shrink significantly. Also, my favorite characters haven't appeared in over a year and probably won't be showing up again anytime soon. So yeah, turns out you made the right choice not getting into it like I did.

You win this round Clawtopsy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

:jerkbag:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Only write vignettes and short stories in a loosely-connected shared setting that never reuses characters imo. It neatly sidesteps a whole swath of writing sins.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So after many weeks of deep consideration I have come up with what I like to think is the definitive list of what Classpects the Tamers would have:

Takato: Bard of Space
Rika: Knight of Blood
Henry: Mage of Mind

Discuss.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

So after many weeks of deep consideration I have come up with what I like to think is the definitive list of what Classpects the Tamers would have:

Takato: Bard of Space
Rika: Knight of Blood
Henry: Mage of Mind

Discuss.

Strongly disagree About Takato and Rika, although you're spot on with Henry.

Takato: Page of Heart
Rika: Knight of Rage

Also, Jeri would be a Maid of Doom for obvious reasons.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

As long as we can agree that Ryo is a Waste of Time (with Waste being a canon title)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

my hot take is that the people who have tried to get me to watch SU are more annoying than bronies, you are welcome

i don't know what the other stuff is about

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

my hot take is that the people who have tried to get me to watch SU are more annoying than bronies, you are welcome

i don't know what the other stuff is about

Lovecraftian horrors VS kids fused with digital AI manifested in the physical world in the shape of mystical foxes, monstrous dinosaurs and sassy bunny rabbits who use quantum physics to save the day. Also it's one huge Neon Genesis Eva re-imagining.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

As long as we can agree that Ryo is a Waste of Time (with Waste being a canon title)

Yes we can absolutely agree on that.

I know he's only there because his games were popular and the executives demanded he be included, but his presence is just so intrusive and inorganic and he 100% did not deserve to have such a huge role in the final battle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Freak Futanari posted:

you can't run out of ideas if you never had ideas in the first place

Glass houses, stones

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Clawtopsy posted:

So basically, it's like

C.S. Lewis posted:

The Second Friend is the man who disagrees with you about everything. He is not so much the alter ego as the antiself. Of course he shares your interests; otherwise he would not become your friend at all. But he has approached them all at a different angle. He has read all the right books but has got the wrong thing out of every one. It is as if he spoke your language but mispronounced it. How can he be so nearly right and yet, invariably, just not right?...out of this perpetual dogfight a community of mind and a deep affection emerge.
Except they're wrong and you hate them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Clawtopsy posted:

then condy is killed and nothing matters, how did that immortaloty work out for you
Not the avatar to be asking THAT question

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

So basically, it's like

Except they're wrong and you hate them.

yes

also my bffsie and i disagree on nearly everything except this stuff

Bell_ posted:

Not the avatar to be asking THAT question

aranea didn't have contractual immortality :smug:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

immortality meant just as much as death did

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
why didn't they just use the dragonballs to wish the dead trolls back to life

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

much like hamsteak, dbz is a show with too large a cast, interesting concepts left unexplored, and death being cheap and meaningless

plus goku is vriska

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
goku has character development though

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

both can still move while carrying a few extra tons, too

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Q: I know that the Alternia arc was dragging on as it was, but do you think there could have been more tension and suspense in the most recent updates if there had been a few more clear-cut power levels among the trolls foreshadowed earlier?

AH: Oh my loving god.

I just face palmed so hard I broke my DBZ scouter.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Honestly the lack of any real rhyme or reason to who won fights or how fights went down was probably actually an issue. Whenever people started fighting it was just like smooshing action figures until someone won , so there was never any real tension when people started fighting.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Clawtopsy posted:

plus goku is vriska

Hey, Vriska is far and away not Goku, she-

Clawtopsy posted:

both can still move while carrying a few extra tons, too

:golfclap:

She's Vegeta

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Realtalk for a minute. Look, I'm using proper grammar and everything.

If the last words of this thread aren't a Fat Vriska joke, everything will have been a waste. If nobody posts for a few days, it should be the duty of the final poster to edit it in.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Charlie Bobson posted:

Honestly the lack of any real rhyme or reason to who won fights or how fights went down was probably actually an issue. Whenever people started fighting it was just like smooshing action figures until someone won , so there was never any real tension when people started fighting.

One of the few jokes of Team America that has aged well is the Kung-fu "fight sequence" near the beginning.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

If the last words of this thread aren't a Fat Vriska joke, everything will have been a waist. If nobody posts for a few days, it should be the duty of the final poster to edit it in.

FTFY

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

If the last words of this thread aren't a Fat Vriska joke, everything will have been a waste. If nobody posts for a few days, it should be the duty of the final poster to edit it in.

like vriska, this thread won't ever really die, it'll just keep getting bigger

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

biggest plot inconsistency is somehow a black hole swallowed her

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Clawtopsy posted:

everything will have been a waste.
Too late.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Clawtopsy posted:

biggest plot inconsistency is somehow a black hole swallowed her
Or as I like to call her, ((Vriska))

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

The black hole is her mouth.

We're introducing vore into the equation now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vriska is Majin Buu. Simultaneously fat, skinny, short, tall, a hero, a villain, a remorseless force of nature, and an irrelevant dope. Sometimes all at the same time.