Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just want them to get weapons into outfit designer first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Agreed. Blasters too, some of the blasters sound awesome and some sound really wimpy. There's absolutely no way to know what you'll get until you buy it.

Going from the satisfying classic pshh on generic sabers to a weak clicking sound on one of the endgame sabers was a major disappointment.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The tor-fashion page allows you to preview the sounds of most weapons, but it’s a clunky experience, to be sure.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Agreed. Blasters too, some of the blasters sound awesome and some sound really wimpy. There's absolutely no way to know what you'll get until you buy it.

Dulfy.net puts up videos of a lot of SWTOR weapons and vehicles when they're released, so you can see what they sound like.

My Sith assassin got a dual saber once that had no sound effects at all. It's just dead silent. It's disconcerting, but also kind of fun for a stealthy character. The silent killer...
(It was an unmoddable purple weapon, but it was an upgrade at that time so he used it for a while. The model is used a lot in the game and usually has sound; I just lucked out.)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

The blaster you can get from the BBA people is basically a sawed-off shotgun that sounds like a child's toy, it really annoys me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The blaster you can get from the BBA people is basically a sawed-off shotgun that sounds like a child's toy, it really annoys me.

I've always wanted an invisible blaster rifle and saber, or just a stick, that has sound effects made by people going "pew pew" or "VWOOSH". Z0-0M scratched that itch a bit. It would really make the RP community angry though.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I've always wanted an invisible blaster rifle and saber, or just a stick, that has sound effects made by people going "pew pew" or "VWOOSH". Z0-0M scratched that itch a bit. It would really make the RP community angry though.

Running into battle nekkid with a tree branch would be awesome I admit. I've already got a guildie that does the fat Rattataki with white dyed trunks, the only thing that'd make it worse is if Houks were playable.

Also while we're bitching about options I need Rodian as a playable race.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also while we're bitching about options I need Rodian as a playable race.

Last time this came up I was all for it, with their racial ability being "Shoots first", a laser blast that completely misses your enemy and is fired from a completely awkward angle.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
But when have Rodians ever shot first? :colbert:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So what's this i've heard about the game going into maintenance mode or shutting down? Is there any validity to the rumors coming out of Bioware?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

So what's this i've heard about the game going into maintenance mode or shutting down? Is there any validity to the rumors coming out of Bioware?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9526850#edit9526850

quote:

As Musco mentioned in the Live Stream yesterday, we’re busy working on an update to the Roadmap which should be available in mid-February. Keep in mind, we’ve just released Game Update 5.7, so expect the Roadmap to give you insight about the next 90 days or so.

I’m not ready to discuss all of the summer events and beyond that we’re planning. And, I definitely will not provide any information on what’s included in 6.0 . So, as always, hang in there, and we’ll provide you with what’s going on with SWTOR!

For the many of you who have asked privately, yes, I'm doing great, but December and January are typically very busy months for us with all the planning activities. Personally, I've been playing quite a bit, and am focused on crafting Superior Augments for my characters. Hopefully, I'll reach Elite Warlord on my 2nd character, very soon, and to be honest, I'm pretty happy with all the changes we made this past year for Galactic Command.

:raise:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Archonex posted:

Kotaku posted an article saying that Bioware is shifting all their resources to Anthem per an "inside man" and that they're wrapping up SWTOR. It's all speculation and stupid, as long as the game is profitable they'll keep it going, and they've released new content pretty regularly over the last year, albeit short content bursts.

People are comparing it to Marvel Heroes which was shut down abruptly, but the difference is that SWTOR is a subscription based game, so if they cancel it they'd have to refund any existing time people had.

Plus Marvel is focusing heavily on it's mobile games, there aren't any real MMORPG competitors in the Star Wars universe, and I don't see a new one coming as the genre is dying (in my opinion).

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Medullah posted:

People are comparing it to Marvel Heroes which was shut down abruptly, but the difference is that SWTOR is a subscription based game, so if they cancel it they'd have to refund any existing time people had.

Marvel Heroes also put all their money in a console version, that made them lose their PC playerbase and then the console version also wasn't profitable.
And they had a serial sexual harasser at the helm or something

quote:

there aren't any real MMORPG competitors in the Star Wars universe, and I don't see a new one coming as the genre is dying (in my opinion).

Yeah, FFXIV, ESO, WoW and this are the only big MMORPGs that can still be considered alive, and there wont be any new ones. At least not anytime soon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Old ones can stagger along for a long time with a skeleton crew and p2p model. Look at loving Star Trek onlinevb

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Old ones can stagger along for a long time with a skeleton crew and p2p model. Look at loving Star Trek onlinevb

Look at freaking EverQuest. The only real X-Factor with SWTOR is the license.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Gasoline posted:

Yeah, FFXIV, ESO, WoW and this are the only big MMORPGs that can still be considered alive, and there wont be any new ones. At least not anytime soon.

GW2 is doing well, but yeah all of them are 3+ years old at this point. No studio is going to greenlight a AAA MMO right now, it's going to be niche mmo's in the western market while they chase big money on MOBA's Survival Battle Royale.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I don't get it, we have loot crates; I thought that was SotA these days

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look at loving Star Trek onlinevb

Or even better, don't.

Can you imagine all the creepy RP background people would come up with in this game for their Twi'lek waifus if there was a character bio section like in STO?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Nipponophile posted:

Can you imagine all the creepy RP background people would come up with in this game for their Twi'lek waifus if there was a character bio section like in STO?

That's just icky.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i wouldn't be worried about swtor until disney decides to revoke the license from EA, which i think they still have a good five or so years on before its back up for decision

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

i wouldn't be worried about swtor until disney decides to revoke the license from EA, which i think they still have a good five or so years on before its back up for decision

As long as EA keeps paying their licensing bills I really don't think they will. MMOs are kind of a done thing and I don't see Disney wanting to claw back this particular license in anticipation of SWG 2.0 or whatever.

The real question is if maintenance costs + occasional new bit of content costs + licensing fees is ever going to be greater than income from subs and the cash shop. If that ever happens, yeah, poo poo will shut down. Other MMOs have survived the F2P transition so the real question mark here is how much they owe the Mouse.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cyrano4747 posted:

....in anticipation of SWG 2.0 or whatever.

:gizz:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

As long as EA keeps paying their licensing bills I really don't think they will. MMOs are kind of a done thing and I don't see Disney wanting to claw back this particular license in anticipation of SWG 2.0 or whatever.

The real question is if maintenance costs + occasional new bit of content costs + licensing fees is ever going to be greater than income from subs and the cash shop. If that ever happens, yeah, poo poo will shut down. Other MMOs have survived the F2P transition so the real question mark here is how much they owe the Mouse.

This is the big thing that I've been saying, no one is making another Star Wars MMORPG. I'd even go as far as to say there won't be any more AAA high budget MMORPGs. High investment, high risk, loads of development time - why do that when you can go low risk, low investment, short development time on mobile games while focusing your AAA team on FPS or 3rd Person Shooter games loaded with lootboxes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Medullah posted:

This is the big thing that I've been saying, no one is making another Star Wars MMORPG. I'd even go as far as to say there won't be any more AAA high budget MMORPGs. High investment, high risk, loads of development time - why do that when you can go low risk, low investment, short development time on mobile games while focusing your AAA team on FPS or 3rd Person Shooter games loaded with lootboxes.

I don't even think you need to be so cynical about mobile games and loot boxes. SWTOR is a great example of how the MMO wave was kind of played out. High investment and, crucially, high continuing costs. Everyone wanted to have their own WoW-esque cash cow, but it turns out that something has to become drat near a cultural phenomenon to support that kind of model.

Without even getting into the loot box argument (which, frankly, fits a MMO type game really well - see STO's loot boxes) I think they've realized that it's better to just sink the resources into making AAA titles that people play and you get them to buy another one in six months time. For most games that's a better bet than banking on people staying subscribed for a year or more.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh don't get me wrong, I really like the direction that SWTOR went with it's loot boxes. 100% cosmetic is fine and a great way to support the game. It's the pay to win loot boxes that I hate.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nipponophile posted:

Or even better, don't.

OTOH you can use your bio as a public service. My EVE bio had links to Big Black tunes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't even think you need to be so cynical about mobile games and loot boxes. SWTOR is a great example of how the MMO wave was kind of played out. High investment and, crucially, high continuing costs. Everyone wanted to have their own WoW-esque cash cow, but it turns out that something has to become drat near a cultural phenomenon to support that kind of model.

Without even getting into the loot box argument (which, frankly, fits a MMO type game really well - see STO's loot boxes) I think they've realized that it's better to just sink the resources into making AAA titles that people play and you get them to buy another one in six months time. For most games that's a better bet than banking on people staying subscribed for a year or more.

One of the big reasons STO's boxes are so successful is it's not just cosmetic, some of the prizes actually open up new styles of gameplay. The spaceships inside the boxes have unique stats, skill slots, traits and equipment. Then there are lesser rewards like captain traits and cross-faction consoles.

Things more commonly known as pay to win bullshit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

One of the big reasons STO's boxes are so successful is it's not just cosmetic, some of the prizes actually open up new styles of gameplay. The spaceships inside the boxes have unique stats, skill slots, traits and equipment. Then there are lesser rewards like captain traits and cross-faction consoles.

Things more commonly known as pay to win bullshit.

Sure, but they're also utterly unnecessary at this point. PVP is dead and you can do all the PVE content with the free ships you get from leveling. It's far less about getting uber gear to thrash the game and more about Star Trek nerds needing to have the latest digital ride, doubly so if it's an iconic ship.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
The devs are already talking about 6.0 which I imagine would be a end of this year release so they're planning at least a year out anyways.

Not sure where the story goes from here, it's time for a new big bad and story companions...Vitiate/Revan/Lana/Theron are done. It'd be nice if the rest of the 5.0 time was spent tearing down the Alliance as a sort of soft-reset because the quicker the game moves past KotFE/KotET the better.

Whatever the next story is hopefully it has less droids, less corridors, and characters who actually have a connection to the existing world.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
should've read OP. Ignore this

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 9, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why the gently caress would you cancel SWTOR? That's just so insanely stupid. Star Wars was recently at its peak popularity probably around the time Force Awakens released. They should have been marketing this poo poo like crazy. This should, hands down, be the most profitable MMO in existence. All you had to do was play any of the opening cutscenes -- ANY of them -- during the trailers for Force Awakens and you would have woken up to your bank leaving messages on your voicemail saying they can't handle the massive amount of money that you made overnight. Have you watched those recently? They are amazing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I mean, all that would be true if the original design staff didn't have their head stuck in the past. There's a hard limit on how much money you can make when your game just isn't very fun to play and the content runs out in a month, no matter how cool the cutscenes are.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm actually giving this game another play thru, briefly as i know it will be.

Best thing a star wars MMO could do is basically go back and make something like SWG pre CU/NGE and design the combat systems and such far more competently and upgrade everything else with more modern design sensibility, but keeping the heart of what that game is/was.

EA is just as incapable of making something that good as SOE was though.

I didn't finish KOTFE story stuff, i'm hoping this trial will allow me to resume it and finish it before it runs out, i don't really feel like paying for another month of this just to wrap up this story unless there are actually differences between how it plays out factionally/classwise

This is a decent single player game, but they made it an MMO for some reason. It would've been way better off if they'd just made a regular rear end single player kotor game and doled DLC content out because i'd be a pretty avid player of that game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Best thing a star wars MMO could do is basically go back and make something like SWG pre CU/NGE and design the combat systems and such far more competently and upgrade everything else with more modern design sensibility, but keeping the heart of what that game is/was.

I didn't finish KOTFE story stuff, i'm hoping this trial will allow me to resume it and finish it before it runs out, i don't really feel like paying for another month of this just to wrap up this story unless there are actually differences between how it plays out factionally/classwise

This is a decent single player game, but they made it an MMO for some reason. It would've been way better off if they'd just made a regular rear end single player kotor game and doled DLC content out because i'd be a pretty avid player of that game.

If you were a sub when KOTFE came out, you keep everything when you drop to Preferred. The 7 day trial from referrals doesn't give you any NEW content, you'd have to sub for it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

If you were a sub when KOTFE came out, you keep everything when you drop to Preferred. The 7 day trial from referrals doesn't give you any NEW content, you'd have to sub for it.

edit: i forgot the order of the knights stuff, i should have both expansions to whatever degree eternal throne was released to when i quit

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 11, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

basic hitler posted:

is there any major story stuff after the kotfe stuff?

KOTFE has 16 chapters, Knights of the Eternal Throne has 9, and there's been some Flashpoints released since then.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The devs are already talking about 6.0 which I imagine would be a end of this year release so they're planning at least a year out anyways.

Not sure where the story goes from here, it's time for a new big bad and story companions...Vitiate/Revan/Lana/Theron are done. It'd be nice if the rest of the 5.0 time was spent tearing down the Alliance as a sort of soft-reset because the quicker the game moves past KotFE/KotET the better.

Whatever the next story is hopefully it has less droids, less corridors, and characters who actually have a connection to the existing world.

The game really needs to find a way to get more out of the scenery. Mini cutscenes when you reach a certain point to give more flavor to the locale, underline really beautiful scenery they put a lot of work into, etc. And in general cutscenes need a better sense and showcasing of scale.

basic hitler posted:

I mean as much as I liked being able to mix and match skills and professions you can't balance a game that way. You end up with the same end result: classes/skill combos that are viable and top of spec, and classes/skill combos that aren't and never get used because of it, regardless of how cool it would be to have a lightsaber smuggler or whatever. That's why the changes from 3.0 happened even though SWTOR never had a system that was anywhere near as flexible as SWG was - there were only a few viable choices, so why add needless UX complexity and make it more difficult for players to succeed and enjoy the game?

Add to that the fact that SWG had no content for ages and ages and ages, and what little content it had was terrible and paper-thin. There essentially was no endgame for large portions of the game's existence, no larger overarching plot. It was really poorly planned and executed and had a long history of pissing off fans and players.

Edit: That said, I remain to this day sad that 5.0 took away my gunslinger's ability to kick people in the balls.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Add to that the fact that SWG had no content for ages and ages and ages, and what little content it had was terrible and paper-thin. There essentially was no endgame for large portions of the game's existence, no larger overarching plot. It was really poorly planned and executed and had a long history of pissing off fans and players.

It's a bit fuzzy to me but I basically cornered the weapon making market on my server because I got lucky on finding resources and was the only crafter that could make the top end blaster or carbine or something. I used the credits from that monopoly to price out my competition on the lower end stuff. I was making credits hand over fist with nothing to spend them on. If I'm remembering right all the best stuff was crafted and since resources were completely random some servers couldn't make the top end stuff because of bad RNG on the resources.

I only got into the weapon making business because the combat was so boring and there was nothing else to really do. I vaguely remember a lot of rabbit, cat, and other small furry animal killing that made me wonder why it was in a Star Wars game.

Then CoH happened and it was bye-bye SW:G.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

It's a bit fuzzy to me but I basically cornered the weapon making market on my server because I got lucky on finding resources and was the only crafter that could make the top end blaster or carbine or something. I used the credits from that monopoly to price out my competition on the lower end stuff. I was making credits hand over fist with nothing to spend them on. If I'm remembering right all the best stuff was crafted and since resources were completely random some servers couldn't make the top end stuff because of bad RNG on the resources.

I only got into the weapon making business because the combat was so boring and there was nothing else to really do. I vaguely remember a lot of rabbit, cat, and other small furry animal killing that made me wonder why it was in a Star Wars game.

Then CoH happened and it was bye-bye SW:G.

CoH was the platonic ideal of what content creation in an MMO should look like. There was so much poo poo to do as a casual player you'd almost never run out of stuff. And it was for the most part really good to casual players and from fairly early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Look who's returned to the official forums!