Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

loquacius posted:

Is there an updated version of the list of Phones That Matter from the OP? It's about time to upgrade my Galaxy S6 Active, but I'm a bit tired of Samsung and would like to know what other viable options I have if I'm willing to go unlocked. (I'd like something with a headphone jack or I'd just default to the Pixel 2 obv)

Moto G5+ or G5s+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I got a Pixel 2 XL and there are so many random nonessential apps that just didn't work or crashed on my Moto Z Play but work perfectly on the P2XL, even when running together at once.

Here's a list of the dumb bullshit:
DNS66
Muzei Live Wallpaper
One Handed Mode (xda)
Custom Navigation Bar (xda)
Simple Pie(Navigation Bar)
Action Launcher

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone noticed a battery drain with the Pixel 2? Some days it'll just churn through my battery in 12 or so hours while getting noticeably warm.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Incessant Excess posted:

Anyone noticed a battery drain with the Pixel 2? Some days it'll just churn through my battery in 12 or so hours while getting noticeably warm.

I've noticed that happens with my OG Pixel XL on occasion, and I have no idea what causes it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

This has happened to me randomly on a lot of Android phones over the years. Sometimes it's an app, sometimes it's Google Play Services, sometimes it's even the OS itself.

Any chance you use Snapchat? That'll do it. When the gently caress is that app rewrite coming?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The strange thing is that I'm using pretty much the same apps now as I did when I didn't have those problems a couple months ago:

awful
reddit sync pro
greader pro
adguard
podcast addict
flamingo
discord

And that's pretty much it, all that stuff I've used for a while without issue but the past two weeks, problems started.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

This has happened to me randomly on a lot of Android phones over the years. Sometimes it's an app, sometimes it's Google Play Services, sometimes it's even the OS itself.

It's crazy to me that this is still a common problem for Android phones. It's been an issue since like Ice Cream Sandwich.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

It's crazy to me that this is still a common problem for Android phones. It's been an issue since like Ice Cream Sandwich.

I will anecdotally say that for me personally, since 8.0, I haven't experienced this. Even Snapchat is being forced to behave (most of the time) due to the Doze/Volta poo poo or whatever

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will anecdotally say that for me personally, since 8.0, I haven't experienced this. Even Snapchat is being forced to behave (most of the time) due to the Doze/Volta poo poo or whatever

Wasn't Doze supposed to be the hot new poo poo to tackle the idle problems? I've only used a few devices past Marshmallow but nothing extensively.

Eagerly awaiting my $200 18:9 phone - the Xiaomi Redmi 5+ yay

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good phone dock? I'm looking for something that supports my Nexus 5X at an angle on my desk. Something that has a built-in USB-C port and supports fast charging would be great, but I really just need something that holds the phone in place, so something that lets me plug in the stock charger through a slot in the bottom would work too. I would like to be able to do normal tapping/swiping/etc. with it and not have it slide around.

If there is a better thread to ask about accessories, I can go there instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DizzyBum posted:

Can anyone recommend a good phone dock? I'm looking for something that supports my Nexus 5X at an angle on my desk. Something that has a built-in USB-C port and supports fast charging would be great, but I really just need something that holds the phone in place, so something that lets me plug in the stock charger through a slot in the bottom would work too. I would like to be able to do normal tapping/swiping/etc. with it and not have it slide around.

AFAICT, there is no such thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DizzyBum posted:

I have several of these for our Z2 Forces.

Fast charging supported with the right charger.

USB C Charger Dock Station, FanTEK Charging Desktop for Huawei G9 Plus, Google Nexus 6P, LG Nexus 5X, Sony Xperia X Compact, BLU Pure XR, BlackBerry Keyone, Zenfone 3 zoom, LeEco Le 2 (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59L6H8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m7nEAbXVYG3MJ

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I'm having a weird bug, in that the icon for location services in the notification bar won't go away... So I assume some app is polling it, but I haven't installed or authorised any new one. Thankfully I don't experience any battery drain, but the additional icon is triggering my OCD :v:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My Mom's Pixel 1 had that warm/battery usage issue after I updated her to 8.0/8.1 (wasn't too far between the two since she got 8.0 kinda late).

After a Wipe it seems better, but she does talk on the phone and is on social media more than me and being it was the smaller phone with the smaller battery, and set to near max brightness all the time, it still drains fast for her, but IMO it looks about normal now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

AFAICT, there is no such thing.

This is an understandable assumption.

Wasabi the J posted:

I have several of these for our Z2 Forces.

Fast charging supported with the right charger.

USB C Charger Dock Station, FanTEK Charging Desktop for Huawei G9 Plus, Google Nexus 6P, LG Nexus 5X, Sony Xperia X Compact, BLU Pure XR, BlackBerry Keyone, Zenfone 3 zoom, LeEco Le 2 (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59L6H8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m7nEAbXVYG3MJ

$9? drat, may as well try one out. Thanks!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else with a 2 XL notice any distortion with their speakers at moderate volumes (~50-60%)?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Anyone else with a 2 XL notice any distortion with their speakers at moderate volumes (~50-60%)?

Yup, put in a support ticket, Google will replace your hardware.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chikimiki posted:

I'm having a weird bug, in that the icon for location services in the notification bar won't go away... So I assume some app is polling it, but I haven't installed or authorised any new one. Thankfully I don't experience any battery drain, but the additional icon is triggering my OCD :v:

You can go into your app permissions and turn off access to location services one at a time until it goes away.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
This might be a strange request, but I'm looking to replace my old Moto G (original, I think?). It was an excellent little device as a "not-an-ipod-touch" machine, but it's showing it's age. Anyone have a good recommendation for a new one? I travel a lot and I'm often in places with bad reception and my plan isn't amazing anyway so I need actual media files onboard for playback instead of streaming.

Preferences:
- Small. The smaller, the better.
- MicroSD card slot or > 64GB storage for my music library.
- Would prefer to buy new instead of used.
- Needs no cell plan. Just wifi.

Bonus:
- Cheap
- Speedy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

This might be a strange request, but I'm looking to replace my old Moto G (original, I think?). It was an excellent little device as a "not-an-ipod-touch" machine, but it's showing it's age. Anyone have a good recommendation for a new one? I travel a lot and I'm often in places with bad reception and my plan isn't amazing anyway so I need actual media files onboard for playback instead of streaming.

Preferences:
- Small. The smaller, the better.
- MicroSD card slot or > 64GB storage for my music library.
- Would prefer to buy new instead of used.
- Needs no cell plan. Just wifi.

Bonus:
- Cheap
- Speedy

Moto G5S

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

vyst posted:

Pixel XL 1
LG v30

Would probably be the two I'd recommend in the "Not a Samsung but still has a headphone jack category"

I am seeing a lot more people complaining that their Pixel 1s are dying outside of warranty. Mine is on it's last legs. Probably best to stay away. drat shame

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having speaker static on the normal Pixel 2? It only happens in one game (Push) but not in other apps

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, put in a support ticket, Google will replace your hardware.
I'm pretty lenient with support, but they absolutely should not have a process that puts "try factory resetting the phone" before telling me to go back to Verizon. Thanks for nothing, "Kevin Rose." Apparently you've fallen on hard times after Digg.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm pretty lenient with support, but they absolutely should not have a process that puts "try factory resetting the phone" before telling me to go back to Verizon. Thanks for nothing, "Kevin Rose." Apparently you've fallen on hard times after Digg.

Hah yeah, it's just the script they follow so I don't fault them. Google support has historically been very good for me, replacing devices quickly with little hassle.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I am seeing a lot more people complaining that their Pixel 1s are dying outside of warranty. Mine is on it's last legs. Probably best to stay away. drat shame

Every phone has this same complaint with people posting about it.

As phones age some percentage of them start failing.

Unless you have access to some statistics you can't really say anything like you're saying here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My Pixel 1 is still working great except I thought the "Check for update" button was supposed to be fixed last update and I'm sitting here like a schmuck on the January 5 patch.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hah yeah, it's just the script they follow so I don't fault them. Google support has historically been very good for me, replacing devices quickly with little hassle.
It doesn't set me off personally or anything, since the level of BS I can put up with is pretty high (otherwise I wouldn't have an Android phone!!!) but that's a new one. That could really gently caress up someone who doesn't know any better.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Do you think a manufacturer refurbished Pixel would have a new battery in it? Not one refurbed by some random company, but one actually by the manufacturer. I want to pick up a Pixel but not if I’m probably gonna have to replace the battery immediately too

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Huawei Mate 10 Pro for the U.S. is up for pre-order on Amazon for $799 with a $150 dollar gift card included. Once the prices really start tanking it should make for a good buy. I actually used my Mate 9 for the first time in over a month because I didn't want to take my Pixel 2 XL to my new job and I forgot just how nice some of it's attributes were. The battery life, even after a year, embarrasses the P2XL and the fingerprint scanner is noticeably faster. Still no loving updates though, and I guess it's sending all my data to China or something.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

It seems to be something a lot of them do but at the same time, while mine does it, it doesn't do it for all content. Certain content that seems to have lower quality audio buzzes and sounds like crap, but higher end content like play music or a good YouTube video sounds perfectly fine.

I am waiting on putting in any replacement request for mine until there is a bit more chance they have a more recent build that may be revised to fix both the audio issues (If it is in fact hardware and not a software issue) as well as the screen flash and blue tint.

For now, all the issues are quite minor and there is little guarantee currently that a replacement will actually be better. :/

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

loquacius posted:

Is there an updated version of the list of Phones That Matter from the OP? It's about time to upgrade my Galaxy S6 Active, but I'm a bit tired of Samsung and would like to know what other viable options I have if I'm willing to go unlocked. (I'd like something with a headphone jack or I'd just default to the Pixel 2 obv)

Jumping off this (and the rec for Moto G5+ / G5S+): I've got a Droid Turbo right now that's been going for about 3 years. Is there really that big of a difference between the G5S+ and the X4 (besides price)? I'm really happy with the Turbo's battery life, which is really my main concern. I'm also seeing a lot about the G5S+ not having a compass. Does not having a compass really affect anything?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

5.5" screen? Is this the smallest decent android phone available now? :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Moto G5 Plus has a 5.2" display. Otherwise the specs are identical.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

AnimalChin posted:

Moto 6 expected to be announced on 25th of Feb if you can wait.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

Xperia XZ1 is 4.6" and decent AFAIK.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My wife's Pixel 1 xl had the ear speaker get incredibly low somehow (so low that it was really hard to hear people and she'd just put them on speakerphone) and I hit the little support button and within three minutes some guy with a California accent had me all set up with a replacement in fifteen minutes. When he asked me if we tried wiping the phone first I said "uh...sure did" and he laughed and proceeded with the return. Shipping paid by them both ways. A++ would buy a Pixel again (when LG stops making them).

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Do you think a manufacturer refurbished Pixel would have a new battery in it? Not one refurbed by some random company, but one actually by the manufacturer. I want to pick up a Pixel but not if I’m probably gonna have to replace the battery immediately too

They replace the entire screen so I can't imagine they wouldn't do the battery as well.

I really recommend the smaller Pixel 1. It's basically the perfect size in my opinion (though I'd get a 4.3" phone if anyone made it outside of $30 plastic phones for old people).

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 6, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A small screen is the new physical keyboard.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My last phone has a 4.5 inch screen and is 5.11x2.6in. it feels like a tiny child's toy now and I could never use something that size again. Big phones are good

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought the Xperia XA2 might be a good smaller phone, but while it is slightly smaller and better than the G5 Plus, it's thicker and heavier and will likely be much more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Sony’s horrible customer service made it so I’ll never own another Sony phone, even if it had the exact specs I’m looking for.