Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Third World Reggin posted:

Radious finally has tomb kings fully worked up. Those vampire count archers are no longer on VCs team and moved to tomb kings.

They also get more armies at the start and a higher recruitment cap now for special units.

Time to go gently caress around.

why would you ever play Radious lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ammanas posted:

Don't see how this is different than what the ME campaign is, generally speaking. My TK settra campaign took a whopping 186!! turns before I moved north into Empire/VC territory.

I would like to save my game and change who I am playing as in the current game I am playing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Zore posted:

why would you ever play Radious lol

It is fun. Also I missed posts like this.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Total War: Warhammer 2 - My mod can beat up your mod.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ammanas posted:

It's not that it doesn't mesh - it does, quick battles are a ton of fun regardless (broadly) what faction matchups...it's more that the ME map is so big, it feels like there are 8+ different theaters.

I was thinking more in terms of the overall design and mechanics especially when it comes to campaign play. The WH2 factions and lords just feel far more unique and dynamic than any of the WH1 stuff.

I do think a lot of the issues with ME map, like it being too big, could easily be solved by having the Old World factions have new starting positions for some of their LL, like the WH2 ones have. Empire in the New World Colonies, or Vampire Lords in the jungles of Lustria would make things more fresh and not having the feeling of doing the same thing as the last game, but now with longer end turns. It wouldn't change that a lot of WH1 factions just feel like old design, but it would help a lot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm curious what SFO did to Tomb Kings. SFO cranked up the cost and upkeep of most units so I don't know how that's going to translate with Tomb Kings.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What's SFO?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

They had that one song, "summer girls" or something similar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

What's SFO?

Sturmfahnensweissmann Offizialmodifikation

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mods are crashing my game.

Send help.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

albany academy posted:

They had that one song, "summer girls" or something similar.

New Kids on the block had alot of hits / Race mixing makes me sick!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Mods are crashing my game.

Send help.

Add one at a time.to find the culprit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

S.J. posted:

What's SFO?

Steel Faith Overhaul aka that mod a Nazi made.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JBP posted:

Steel Faith Overhaul aka that mod a Nazi made.

Uhhhhhhh okay then

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

S.J. posted:

Uhhhhhhh okay then

don't worry about that

he made it, but he isn't a part of it, because you know, nazi

to quote someone from way earlier
Radious believes all races are equal
SFO does not

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jack Trades posted:

I had two Lords encircling a Scaven city, ready to completely demolish it without any effort with only one weak Scaven Lord sitting inside.
Then somehow he managed to ambush both my lords, which would've been fine if not for him getting city reinforcements both times and me obviously not getting any since I got ambushed.

What kind of god drat horseshit lets Scaven convert a terrible sure-to-lose situation of a 2v1 siege into an incredibly advantageous situation of two 1.5v1 ambushes?

No man, the real horseshit is when you finally go to clean Athel Loren with 2 doomstacks and then every WElf faction confederates into one on their turn and turbofucks you with 3+ stacks out of nowhere.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

LuiCypher posted:

No man, the real horseshit is when you finally go to clean Athel Loren with 2 doomstacks and then every WElf faction confederates into one on their turn and turbofucks you with 3+ stacks out of nowhere.

That actually seems wildly appropriate and good though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Xae posted:

Total War: Warhammer 2 - My mod can beat up your mod.

Total War: Warhammer 2 - Mod Sass.

I think part of the reason I get bored with campaigns is they turn into multiple full stack on full stack massive brawls too quickly. While these are fun occasionally, I get a bit tired of lining up 20 units then dealing with the stupid bloody reinforcement system from the other army stacks coming in.

Some of my favorite battles are the very early game fights with less than 10 units per side, but the game actively discourages splitting your armies with an upkeep penalty per stack, and the ai will often drive multiple full armies straight at you so you need to respond in kind.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Should one play TWW1, TWW2, or the Mortal Empires campaign when one first plays Total War: Warhammer?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sampatrick posted:

Should one play TWW1, TWW2, or the Mortal Empires campaign when one first plays Total War: Warhammer?

I'd recommend the vortex campaign. It gives you something obvious to strive towards and the turn times aren't incredibly long like mortal empires.

TWW1 was feature creeped really hard by TWW2. I'd wait on Mortal Empires until you know what you are doing due to the turn times.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sampatrick posted:

Get the first one. It's great, has lots of mods and is a lot cheaper than TW2.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

WH1. I think WH2 is the better game, and probably the better new player experience (vortex campaign only, ME does not really do the teach you how to play thing), but you'll never want to go back to WH1 after playing WH2 for a bit.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

V for Vegas posted:

That too if you don't own any already.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sampatrick posted:

I'd vote for TWW1. It's got more polish and is just an overall pretty solid fantasy wargame. It lacks some of the quality of life changes that 2 has, but if you don't play that first you don't know what you're missing.

TWW2 is more ambitious and therefore has a lot more areas to fall short in, but is overall a good game. Some ideas work really well, others work pretty bad. The best thing I can say about Mortal Empires is that it's technically free and you can mod it into something playable.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 6, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Trip report radious tomb kings.

Nothing too crazy yet. 4 starter skeletons. Added dual wield and great weapons.

But also royal chariots.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

V for Vegas posted:

Only if you don't plan on buying the DLC. All the DLC for Warhammer 1 is more expensive than the base game, or Warhammer 2.

I think this is going to be a major issue by the time Warhammer 3 is released unless CA changes up their release model substantially. At the moment if you are starting from scratch and want everything in a ME campaign it's going to cost you around $220 USD(granted a bit l less if you wait for a sale). More DLC and another full games cost is only going to push this higher and higher. I know people don't have to buy all the DLC but the whole appeal of the game is to play as any of the Warhammer factions so I think it will be off putting to a lot of new players when they see the total price for everything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

At the moment if you are starting from scratch and want everything in a ME campaign it's going to cost you around $220 USD(granted a bit l less if you wait for a sale).
That’s a really good deal though?
Then again I did play the tabletop game, so my perspective when it comes to price vs value maybe a bit off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So I have discovered that if you are willing to micro Settra in MP you basically don't need anything for anti infantry outside of him, a necrotect riding a chariot and and warsphinx since he is virtually impossible to lock down and will always have the sphinx and necro rolling with him to dislodge him. I tried this during goon tourney and lost, but after practicing some more and getting it in my head which role everyone should be performing, I am a bony steamroller that can't be stopped. It's a completely bizarre way to play since all I'm taking is skelespears to wall off my casket of souls and ushabti archers, then when they get contact you sweep them off with Settra.

I am having a ball playing around with multiplayer Tomb Kings and I think I've found my home despite wishing I was better at Empire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just buy the DLC you are interested in. You don't have to buy them all.

If you want to play as them, you have to buy, but they are in the game anyways.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you have been thinking Very Hard is kinda easy, but Legendary is too much, just do it. I'm pretty sure the campaign is balanced at that level too, the only tide of blue I had pre-patch was when I helped the dawi, the map seems to be pretty greatly randomized at legendary. It has also been more fun to not be able to quicksave, even though I thought I never save scummed before. You really get in the mood to muder every rebel possible when the auto-battle fucks you over and the rebels take a fight.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Just buy the DLC you are interested in. You don't have to buy them all.

If you want to play as them, you have to buy, but they are in the game anyways.

Yeah, I think there's some valid criticisms of the TW DLC model, but at least the campaign improves for everyone when it comes out.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The ME chaos invasion is so frustrating for Tomb Kings, assuming you've conquered Araby and have a coastal border. Autoresolve hates your guts and the AI's naval micro makes their waterobrne stacks literally impossible to catch unless it wants to fight, so fighting a sea engagement on anything but "you're losing these armies" terms seems impossible to arrange. They take no meaningful attrition from storms so you can't even wait screen them out and wait for them to become manageable. It feels like your only choice is to let them raze whatever cities they choose to land at, and pray you can run them down on land before they do too much damage. Am I missing something here?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kalos posted:

The best thing I can say about Mortal Empires is that it's technically free and you can mod it into something playable.

How?

I'm really kinda bummed by TWH2, I loved the first one but mortal empires just isn't fun and I gotta play that if I want to play the old factions.
IMO they shoulda just had every playable lord be a faction but some start with whole provinces, instead of a million different AI factions which predictably owned the turn times (the single biggest longterm technical issue a TW game can have)

Also at the start of EVERY NEW GAME i have to change my camera settings and end turn settings it suuuucks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kestral posted:

The ME chaos invasion is so frustrating for Tomb Kings, assuming you've conquered Araby and have a coastal border. Autoresolve hates your guts and the AI's naval micro makes their waterobrne stacks literally impossible to catch unless it wants to fight, so fighting a sea engagement on anything but "you're losing these armies" terms seems impossible to arrange. They take no meaningful attrition from storms so you can't even wait screen them out and wait for them to become manageable. It feels like your only choice is to let them raze whatever cities they choose to land at, and pray you can run them down on land before they do too much damage. Am I missing something here?

Walls and maybe an army sitting behind them.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Walls and maybe an army sitting behind them.

They'll just skip that city and make landfall somewhere farther down the coast. I've yet to be able to convince them to actually attack a city.

Hm. If you have a lord outside of a port city in ambush stance, and their ambush radius covers the city, will a naval army actually trigger the ambush if they try to attack the city?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yes, and it's how you beat the Chaos invasion with minimal losses. Either ambushing near a city or a weaker stack.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm aware of the bait-stack tactic, but the interaction with how armies attack port cities in what I'm interested in. Going by the UI (lol), it appears that coastal cities have a spit of land that isn't actually covered by an army's ambush radius, leading me to suspect that an army in transports can attack a port directly and bypass an ambushing army. Anyone know if that's the case?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nopantsjack posted:

How?

Also at the start of EVERY NEW GAME i have to change my camera settings and end turn settings it suuuucks

Yeah this is such a strange, bizarre change. Just, why?

I took the insane mod plunge and got crysnos/southern realms/kraka drak/mixu’s LLs

Are there any new starts that are particularly good/awful?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 6, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

nopantsjack posted:

How?

I'm really kinda bummed by TWH2, I loved the first one but mortal empires just isn't fun and I gotta play that if I want to play the old factions.
IMO they shoulda just had every playable lord be a faction but some start with whole provinces, instead of a million different AI factions which predictably owned the turn times (the single biggest longterm technical issue a TW game can have)

Faster End Turn Camera
Leylos Regional Occupation
Norsca Nerf (less significant if you have the above)
No Anti Avoid Player

These will fix the biggest issues with ME mechanically and marginally help turn times without meaningfully changing the game from vanilla. The biggest handler of turn times is CPU so if you can't upgrade or overclock you're poo poo outta luck unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha I just realised that Settra approves of great power.