Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Beastie posted:

Did you buy it on Amazon from third party?
Yeah, it's a Sandisk Ultra 200GB. But I mean, the old one is a 64GB Sandisk Extreme.

I think if I use the Switch's built-in formatter I could use the new SD card, but would have to redownload everything. Maybe there's an issue with the copying process? I'm just drag and dropping, I wonder if there are hidden files or something being left out.

edit: when the prompt comes up for duplicate files I've been choosing "replace", which I think was suggested in one of the articles I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cicero posted:

I'm trying to transfer my poo poo to a new SD card and I'm doing something wrong. I've tried formatting the new one with the official SD card formatter, with Mac OS's built-in diskutil to FAT32, some tool called Tuxera Disk Manager to NTFS, and the formatter built into the Switch itself. The files from the old SD card I've copied to my Macbook, which I then copied to the new SD card after formatting.

None of it's worked, although it's failed in different ways. Sometimes the SD card simply isn't recognized as being present at all, sometimes the Switch complains immediately that there's something wrong with the SD card, sometimes it just says there's an error with a game (that would be on the SD card) when I try to launch it.

Has anyone here done this before?

Instead of copying the files, use something to clone the partitions from old drive to the new, then expand the main partition on the new drive where "the stuff" is to use all the extra leftover free space

That would solve the theory of extra/hidden files at least

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cicero posted:

Yeah, it's a Sandisk Ultra 200GB. But I mean, the old one is a 64GB Sandisk Extreme.

I think if I use the Switch's built-in formatter I could use the new SD card, but would have to redownload everything. Maybe there's an issue with the copying process? I'm just drag and dropping, I wonder if there are hidden files or something being left out.

edit: when the prompt comes up for duplicate files I've been choosing "replace", which I think was suggested in one of the articles I read.

Is this a "Yes I bought it off Amazon from a third party" or "Yes I bought this from Amazon?"

Just spit-balling but tons of fake SD cards are sold on Amazon from third party sellers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Beastie posted:

Is this a "Yes I bought it off Amazon from a third party" or "Yes I bought this from Amazon?"

Just spit-balling but tons of fake SD cards are sold on Amazon from third party sellers.
I'm not exactly sure. It was a Christmas present from my parents. I actually gave them the Amazon link for the specific card, but I'm not sure if they got it from Amazon or a third-party. I mean, the card at least seems functional when I'm formatting it and writing to it.

I had somewhat similar problems copying stuff for the 3DS until I realized that the formatter Nintendo recommended actually used the wrong format (you have to use FAT32 instead).

Tatsuta Age posted:

Instead of copying the files, use something to clone the partitions from old drive to the new, then expand the main partition on the new drive where "the stuff" is to use all the extra leftover free space

That would solve the theory of extra/hidden files at least
Huh. I don't know that much about partitions. At that point it might be easier just to redownload stuff? I haven't actually checked to see how many steps that takes per game. I just figured it'd be painful because, y'know, Nintendo + Internet.

edit: oh, redownloading is actually easy, there's a page for it in the eShop if you tap your profile icon there. Welp nvm then.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pug Rodeo posted:

I would have never thought I’d get into the interactive story genre, but after enjoying Gone Home after picking it up for Xbox when it was free and now really digging NitW I want to look more into other games in the same vein.

What Remains of Edith Finch is pretty similar to Gone Home only with less lesbian sister and more just plain weird poo poo. You should deffo check that out.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The switch is already God's perfect console but it would be perfecter with a good crpg and a good gta clone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hasn't Nintendo made a concerted effort to never acknowledge anything in the cartoons as canon though?

(I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that... :corsair: )

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Aside from the things listed in the OP (screen guard, power bank) are there any other recommended things people here are glad they bought? Any of the cases or anything?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

(I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that... :corsair: )
SMB Super Show is on Netflix so a whole new generation can be vaguely traumatized by it

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Flubby posted:

There is a very poor alternative to the circle throw that will probably get you killed.

You can do it. It's two full circles on the analog stick and then the hat button. There's a good jump you can do that way too

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kingtheninja posted:

Aside from the things listed in the OP (screen guard, power bank) are there any other recommended things people here are glad they bought? Any of the cases or anything?

The 128gb Samsung Evo Select micro SD card off Amazon for only ~40.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kingtheninja posted:

I got the Splatoon case and it kicks rear end.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Splatoo...n+2+switch+case

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Link,with the help of the divine beasts, you can now face Calamity Ganon and save Hyrule

Well EXCUuuuuuse me Princess

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kingtheninja posted:

I bought this nyko stand for like :10bux: that has three adjustable angle and a hole on the bottom so you can charge the Switch while it's in table top mode. Folds up and fits in any Switch carrying case quite well

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Lodin posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch is pretty similar to Gone Home only with less lesbian sister and more just plain weird poo poo. You should deffo check that out.

And man, what remains?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Night in the Woods is the best game ever made about how capitalism is an insatiable monster that will consume us all.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I bought a gooseneck stand for switching in bed, and while it's great for that, I question the healthiness of bed gaming.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nintendo should lower their game prices because the Atlanta Falcons lowered their concession prices

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m in love with this comment on that dumb article

quote:

Well it's not exactly news that Nintendo does what Apple does. They inflate their prices by keeping supply low. Their excuse is that selling more at a lower price would "devalue the brand". This is another way of saying that they'd rather make more money by having less people enjoy their product.

Sadly, this is also the reason why healthcare and health insurance costs are sky high in the united states compared to the rest of the world. Companies are "price-fixing" the cost of prescription drugs and don't care that usage goes down and people die because they can't afford their meds. As long as profits are up, they are happy.

Personally if I was a game maker or a drug company employee I'd want my product to be enjoyed by or help as many people as possible. But that's because I have ethics.

Nintendo selling video games at full price is exactly like people dying because they can’t afford healthcare. I have ethics!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

quote:

They inflate their prices by keeping supply low.

Their games are always $60 (and when they're not they're cheaper?) and you can buy every one of them digitally where there is an infinite supply

:raise:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m in love with this comment on that dumb article

Nintendo selling video games at full price is exactly like people dying because they can’t afford healthcare. I have ethics!

Thank you CNET guy for your moral righteousness

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would go back to the PS2 models that they've been reusing forever if it meant them getting a Monster Hunter game with all of Worlds gameplay and QoL changes running on the Switch.

Oh for sure, I would too! But throw in the expanded Prowler mode from XX, please. That's the main thing I'm interested in for XX and thus far there's not a whisper of Prowler mode being added to World.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Weedle posted:

Night in the Woods is the best game ever made about how capitalism is an insatiable monster that will consume us all.

M o t h e r 3

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

"Nintendo games are too rich for my blood," writes reporter who is okay paying $5 for a glass of the cheapest beer around and calling it a deal.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Games should be cheaper cause I say so not because of any sort of business practice I don't happen to like"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is the kind of bad take I expect from a Something Awful Switch thread poster.

(Idiot, AAA games are $60 because their budgets are hundreds of millions because—gasp—making AAA games is expensive, especially ones with a level of quality expected from companies like Nintendo, and devs need to recoup their costs somehow. Also, Super Mario 64 had an MSRP of $70 USD when it came out, which equates to $110 USD today. AAA games are actually comparatively cheaper than they used to be because their prices aren’t increasing with inflation trends. And a few years into a games lifespan, if a game was super successful, Nintendo will release a cheaper “players choice” version.

That all said, even Nintendo dabbles in making or publishing inexpensive or free-to-play titles because they recognize that there is an audience for them... so your whole article is pointless because they already have “value menu” equivalent games. JFC.)

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 6, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

Gonna get home today and play some goddam Dandara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD43u43P2LY

This game looks really good and also like I would be just loving TERRIBLE at it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same also it looks way too precise to be playable with an analogue stick.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Not as much as you might think, it's pretty good about automatically connecting to a 'platform' your cursor is close to. Generous er auto-aim I suppose

At least, in the beginning, I'm sure it gets trickier

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sakurazuka posted:

Same also it looks way too precise to be playable with an analogue stick.

You can play all-touchscreen, too. I read a little Destructoid article about it today and they said both control schemes were comfortable but the dev who was interviewed personally prefers using sticks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh okay, that's cool then

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had the same issues in BotW and Mario and both of them gave me Sonic and the Secret Rings flashback which a goddamn Nintendo game shouldnt do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Also I have never played a zelda game but I own breath of the wild and I am excited to try it

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mezzanon posted:

Also I have never played a zelda game but I own breath of the wild and I am excited to try it

drat

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
breath of the wild is very much zelda, but in a lot of ways, unlike a zelda game

highly recommend you pick up Link to the Past and maybe Ocarina of Time one of these days too

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

I had the same issues in BotW and Mario and both of them gave me Sonic and the Secret Rings flashback which a goddamn Nintendo game shouldnt do.

This is a truly bizarre statement

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think they’re talking about the motion controls. I haven’t played Breath of the Wild but I have played a ton of Odyssey and haven’t run into anything that required motion controls. The flower rings are a bit of a pain without them but still doable. I think the fuss is probably overblown. The most annoying thing is that unskippable screen every time you launch the game exhorting you to try playing with detached Joy-Cons!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of Breath of the Wild, I saw it passed Ocarina of Time and is now the 2nd best selling Zelda game behind Twilight Princess, which is either a really good or really bad Zelda depending on where we’re at in the cycle.

• Locked thread