Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Reminds me of when I did VTRA training and the facilitator put up a photo of 'extremely violent and threatening graffiti' from a school bathroom, but it was just Tyler the Creator lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/andrewloewen/status/960637882724577280

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Preen Dog posted:

This again. Any language would work. Specific mandatory French is intended to benefit the francophone minority at the expense of everyone else. That's simply apartheid.

Not even mentioning the over-representation in government leadership, language discrimination in government jobs and transfer payment blackmail.

But dance around the point and call me a hick, whatever. I just asked if anyone here knew what event or condition put Canada in such a weak position to constantly appease that minority.

Maybe read a history book as to why we learn French in school

Upper/Lower Canada history

Maybe it was important to communicate with different groups of people, but yeah you are right, making Canada unified definitely put Canada in a weak position

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is all I remember from french in school

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Preen Dog posted:

This again. Any language would work. Specific mandatory French is intended to benefit the francophone minority at the expense of everyone else. That's simply apartheid.

Not even mentioning the over-representation in government leadership, language discrimination in government jobs and transfer payment blackmail.

But dance around the point and call me a hick, whatever. I just asked if anyone here knew what event or condition put Canada in such a weak position to constantly appease that minority.

Jesus christ, we were all wrong for engaging you in the first place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Thanks for triggering me.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why even have the federal government provide services to a large swath of the country in both country and those people’s native language when we can simply all use the imperial Queen’s language! Why I’m not at all an ignorant little poo poo!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ, we were all wrong for engaging you in the first place.

TBF use of language clearly isn't their strong suit.

cowofwar posted:

Why even have the federal government

Free Alberta!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Set aside the terminology and explain what's wrong with waving a feather?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

-1980's South Africa
-The ongoing situation in Palestine
-Having to learn a tiny bit of french in elementary school

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

téléfrançais, téléfrançais, téléfrançais

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

flakeloaf posted:

I guess you could argue that it prejudices the jury, maybe, although I don't know what it means to be waving it at someone.

DariusLikewise posted:

Bull. I have it on good authority that les ananas ne sautent pas en parachute

just another fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 5, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't have much to add other than I took French up until grade 12 and I agree it should be taught more prominently / more better. I have a weird mental tic for remembering vocabulary so I'm kind of in the spot mentioned on the previous page where I know a bunch of words, but unless it's a very simple present case conjugation I have no idea how to say it. Probably would only take a couple months dedicated work to get back up to speed though, and I wouldn't have that except for learning it in school (in Alberta) so it's something I'm glad of.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Interesting part I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the gun that Stanley had was an old Soviet pistol called a tokarev, and likely his ammunition was old Chinese surplus ammo. Making the chance of a dud cartridge or hangfire a possibility

If you aren't knowledgeable on firearms the chance of a malfunction in a old surplus pistol is much higher then a modern pistol. The chance of a bad round in old surplus ammo is orders of magnitude higher then new production ammo.

Not saying a hangfire happened. It's still like a .1 to 1% chance if that

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 5, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Interesting part I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the gun that Stanley had was an old Soviet pistol called a tokarev, and likely his ammunition was old Chinese surplus ammo. Making the chance of a dud cartridge or hangfire a possibility

Oh so it’s justified because it was more likely to not go off? no guns for white men

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

Oh so it’s justified because it was more likely to not go off? no guns for white men

If he'd just bought Canadian he could have fired four or five bullets into the back of that kid's head instead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

Who said it was justified? Dude rolled strapped with a lovely pistol and garbage ammo, his using the gun at all is the problem.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Arivia posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I know I’m more permissive of guns than most of you urban STEMmers thanks to my time jumping stubble as a kid, but still - none of the “mitigating circumstances” being brought forward do anything to change my mind that Stanley shot the kid in a fit of Caste Doctrine excitement and immediately wished he could have a take back to avoid consequences. You advance on the vehicle, running up to the driver side window with a handgun after having already fired twice for what purpose besides death?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"I fired three warning shots into the air, to, uh, scare 'em. Then when I lowered the pistol it went off into the back of that kid's head"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Well duh, if he kept aiming high he'd have missed again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Who said it was justified? Dude rolled strapped with a lovely pistol and garbage ammo, his using the gun at all is the problem.

IDK why Pat would bring it up except as justification

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the big deal? He might have been trying to steal poo poo, and as is well known we have the death penalty for theft here in Canada and it can be administered by citizens pre-emptively.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know what it would justify, it's just meant to be a reasonable excuse for the kid getting a bullet in the back of the head. They're saying that piece of crap might have "gone off" at a time when he wasn't pulling the trigger.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Entropic posted:

What's the big deal? He might have been trying to steal poo poo, and as is well known we have the death penalty for theft here in Canada and it can be administered by citizens pre-emptively.

Haven't you been following the news? The terrorists are using vehicles as weapons now. They were only trying to drive away so they had enough distance to build up enough speed to destroy him and his farm house.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I don't know what it would justify, it's just meant to be a reasonable excuse for the kid getting a bullet in the back of the head. They're saying that piece of crap might have "gone off" at a time when he wasn't pulling the trigger.

Yeah gently caress that poo poo.

@Baronjutter: that’s one thing we can luckily guarantee, no aboriginal ISIS converts. A modern day Red River Rebellion or the like is certainly deserved though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

patonthebach posted:

If you aren't knowledgeable on firearms the chance of a malfunction in a old surplus pistol is much higher then a modern pistol. The chance of a bad round in old surplus ammo is orders of magnitude higher then new production ammo.

Not saying a hangfire happened. It's still like a .1 to 1% chance if that

I get what you're saying, it's kind of interesting gun chat. One of the witnesses was an RCMP guy who examined the gun, he tried to make it hangfire and a few other things and testified that he could only get it to shoot when pressing the trigger.
Same guy testified that hangfires don't actually exist and if they do they only last 0.5 seconds at most. Defense lawyer got joe internet on stand to testify that yes he'd had a 7 second hangfire like 10 years ago.

Now, I would've said fine you think it was a hangfire but actually you had both hands in the car reaching around the wheel to turn it off and hit the trigger on something, I could see that. Stanley said he had the magazine out and slide racked when it went off though which is crazy but then you've got that deformed casing. He also said he never pointed the gun at anybody because gun safety but then it had to be pointing at boushie at the end.

flakeloaf posted:

I'm thinking it's distracting, it's closer to a whole wing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Baronjutter posted:

Haven't you been following the news? The terrorists are using vehicles as weapons now. They were only trying to drive away so they had enough distance to build up enough speed to destroy him and his farm house.

Some would say maybe you could just yell at them to go away and if they don't, just, I don't know, take a picture of their license plate, call the cops, and go inside, but that's madness -- It's well known that aboriginals can channel wolf spirits to huff and puff and blow your house down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Stanley said he had the magazine out and slide racked when it went off though which is crazy but then you've got that deformed casing.

Why did he do this while the incident was still in progress? Like, he was trying to clear the chamber, with the magazine out, while poo poo was still going down?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It reads like someone started with the conclusion “it was definitely an accident” and worked back step by step from there.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Why did he do this while the incident was still in progress? Like, he was trying to clear the chamber, with the magazine out, while poo poo was still going down?

He said, he shot in the air, everybody ran away so he made it safe because he figured he was done using it, he didn't realize there was people still in the suv when he walked up to it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I think that was his point. That it is a thing that does happen, even if its super rare. So the whole "hangfire" isn't a guaranteed lie, its just an incredibly likely lie.

Either way a gun shouldnt have been involved in the whole scenario.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I get what you're saying, it's kind of interesting gun chat. One of the witnesses was an RCMP guy who examined the gun, he tried to make it hangfire and a few other things and testified that he could only get it to shoot when pressing the trigger.
Same guy testified that hangfires don't actually exist

This is crazy. They 100% exist. What a lovely expert. Did he also testify global warming isn't happening? Most of them are only a half second at most but I'm sure there are variances there.

That being said I dont buy that excuse for a second. Either he shot intentionally or he accidentally pulled the trigger out of fear or whatever. Either way no gun should have been involved.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Entropic posted:

Some would say maybe you could just yell at them to go away and if they don't, just, I don't know, take a picture of their license plate, call the cops, and go inside, but that's madness -- It's well known that aboriginals can channel wolf spirits to huff and puff and blow your house down.

Not to disparage you but rural folks have very bad response times, I know in a city I could probably reasonably get a police officer in like 10-15 minutes but in rural areas you can wait several hours before a police officer can show up. They may be in a different area necessitating a long driving time, or they might be dealing with another call before yours.

I honestly don't know what to think about this, obviously you should be able to protect yourself from danger but it gets murky how much force you can use.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chillyrabbit posted:

Not to disparage you but rural folks have very bad response times, I know in a city I could probably reasonably get a police officer in like 10-15 minutes but in rural areas you can wait several hours before a police officer can show up. They may be in a different area necessitating a long driving time, or they might be dealing with another call before yours.

I honestly don't know what to think about this, obviously you should be able to protect yourself from danger but it gets murky how much force you can use.

I think it gets murky but the level of force is < shooting a guy in the back of the head with a handgun.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Go inside your house, lock your doors, call the police and then if you’re still nervous about personal safety grab your gun. Don’t charge the people in the car John Wick style and shoot into it at head level.

Not that loving hard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TIL it's a celebrated part of rural culture to keep FP-45s hidden around the property, just in case you need to murk someone for eyeing your quad. Y'know, because the cops might not show up for a few hours.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

zapplez posted:

This is crazy. They 100% exist. What a lovely expert. Did he also testify global warming isn't happening? Most of them are only a half second at most but I'm sure there are variances there.

That being said I dont buy that excuse for a second. Either he shot intentionally or he accidentally pulled the trigger out of fear or whatever. Either way no gun should have been involved.

I was being overly concise. He admitted they do exist but most are in tenths of a second and a half second was as long as he had ever heard anywhere in all the research of one lasting and he didn't think one could take longer. I was surprised because it's such common practice to wait the full 60 seconds when you have a misfire/dude, you'd think that was based on something.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This what I was trying to get at a couple days ago. If you legit fear for your life, round up the family and grab grandpa’s shotgun and hole up inside. The whole “running at a moving vehicle with a handgun” doesn’t strike me as a defensive or fearful manoeuvre. Stanley was absolutely looking for trouble and put himself in a position to find it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Stanley had done nothing he wouldn’t be the one going to prison and this would be a nothing case. He probably would’ve been able to recover his poo poo in the end.

Nobody will be recovering from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

A Typical Goon posted:

Go inside your house, lock your doors, call the police and then if you’re still nervous about personal safety grab your gun. Don’t charge the people in the car John Wick style and shoot into it at head level.

Not that loving hard

I mean I'm an urbanite, so I probably feel safe in a city where the police can respond relatively quickly. Someone out in the country may feel more exposed especially since his family was out there. Allegedly the passengers attacked his wife so the wife out there was somewhat exposed to danger, and might have been separated from the husband. Especially being older people seeing several younger people just invade your farm/yard might make a reasonable person think there might be more to it than just stealing an ATV, and 5 younger people against an older couple and 1 son seems like bad odds.

I can't find news articles but was/is there a crime wave in Sakatchewan around that time, making people fear for their safety? There was an apparent hold up of a farmhand Which speaks to the state of mind in the area of being on their own when criminals are being very bold.