Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was building them up but I found it to be tedious. It might be better to throw down a couple pops and cut em loose with a severance package so they can start expanding asap. Maybe start the starport as soon as they make landfall and when it's done let em go. This'll change when the new version hits.

I don't like the idea of having vassals that are low hanging fruit for aggressive dicks.

It is tedious building up an letting go, but the way the ai builds up is often unreliable if not a bit broken.

Vassal lords/fiefdom empires are how I roll. Late game I go for making a couple of orbital habitats colonize them hand them off with a load of credits food an minerals. Build tall vassals are pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got this in the humble bundle and played all week long with every moment of my spare time.

I started over a couple times because I wanted to be a mean space jerk but without fail the AI around me forms a bunch of defensive alliances and there’s no way I would be able to fight multiple empires at once. The only wars I end up fighting are from multiple empires dogpiling me if I decide to be nice. Is there a way to try to break these alliances up or goad them into making the first strike so their peace loving defensive ally won’t join in?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Try to at the least form mutual rivalries so you can have your own power bloc as it were.

Limiting your wargoals and thus the threat you create are also helpful.

Throwing insults and deliberately weakening your navy are good ways to bait an enemy into attacking you. Just make sure you can build back up in time to be useful....

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Try to at the least form mutual rivalries so you can have your own power bloc as it were.

Limiting your wargoals and thus the threat you create are also helpful.

Throwing insults and deliberately weakening your navy are good ways to bait an enemy into attacking you. Just make sure you can build back up in time to be useful....

This is basically how I understood it thanks. I was hoping there was some way to try and sow discontent between friends but oh well.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm hoping that now that the scale of wars is being tuned down a bit and combat itself is becoming less deadly, the AI will be adapted to take a few more calculated risks and opportunistic land-grabs as a result. While only fighting wars it thinks it can win can't really be faulted as a strategy, I still feel like warfare is a little too rare and pre-determined than I'd like.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

at launch, it used to be a lot bloodier; it was typical to always have a war in the corvette era. But it kinda trapped you into a rat race where you had to race for size at the start or get squashed.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It will be interesting to see how wars will be in 2.0.

Of course with apocalypse, just destroy their home planet with your planet destroyer. That'll show them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The nice thing is that a spacestation and a dozen corvettes can hold off 30 corvettes, especially if you're using missiles. So even if you're outnumbered, you can often win the early wars.

The problem is that by the time other empires start fielding mostly destroyer fleets your spacestations become nuisances. And once it's all cruisers or all battleships they blow up so fast they might as well not even be there.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Isn't there a mod that makes those unique starter civics (determined exterminators, fanatic purifiers, etc) addible and/or removable in midgame? I feel there should be a way to maybe change your mind about these things later in game for various reasons.

Maybe it can be based on some random event where you make a choice. Let's say you're a determined exterminator, and now you're having second thoughts about killing all organics and that maybe not all of them are so bad. Or you're a regular robot empire who's finally sick of all organic's poo poo and decide to just gently caress everything and burn them all.

Vvv- the cybrex were using a mod obviously

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 5, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Isn't there a mod that makes those unique starter civics (determined exterminators, fanatic purifiers, etc) addible and/or removable in midgame? I feel there should be a way to maybe change your mind about these things later in game for various reasons.

Maybe if it were based on some random event where you make a choice. Let's say you're a determined exterminator, and now you're having second thoughts about killing all organics and that maybe not all of them are so bad. Or you're a regular robot empire who's finally sick of all organic's poo poo and decide to just gently caress everything and burn them all.

If the Cybrex can do it, why can't we? :colbert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Maybe it can be based on some random event where you make a choice. Let's say you're a determined exterminator, and now you're having second thoughts about killing all organics and that maybe not all of them are so bad. Or you're a regular robot empire who's finally sick of all organic's poo poo and decide to just gently caress everything and burn them all.

Vvv- the cybrex were using a mod obviously

Pretty sure you can add/remove civics via the console.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a bit dangerous. You could potentially get people switching into Fanatic Purifier just before a major game-shaping fleet battle, for instance.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Becoming or stopping being FP/DE/DS could be fun events similar to robot uprisings though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just make it an event based on a quest chain, like the "Old Gods" one where you find temples in space and stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Planet gets genocided or Death Star'd? Event pops up having your Democratic Egalitarians going through a loving full out panic and either having to deal with it or just going, IT'S ON XENOS. PEACE WAS GIVEN A CHANCE, NOW IT'S ONLY WAR! :black101:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Planet gets genocided or Death Star'd? Event pops up having your Democratic Egalitarians going through a loving full out panic and either having to deal with it or just going, IT'S ON XENOS. PEACE WAS GIVEN A CHANCE, NOW IT'S ONLY WAR! :black101:

This kind of event needs to be in there, even if it's just AI only.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Being able to declare a set species as sworn blood enemies that must be expunged would be p. great. War on them all and woe those that would house these vermin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason all of a sudden I want a variation of the event about the alien music performer.

Except instead of that, it people in your species discover an ancient game from a neighbouring alien race, about someone they call "the god emperor" and his quest to purge the galaxy of all alien life. It is surprisingly popular and has spawned a remarkable wave of architectural and cultural changes in your empire.

Basically it turns you into a civiliazation of people who loving love 40k, not actual 40k imperials but 40k imperial cosplayers. Who genocide the galaxy for a laugh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ChaseSP posted:

Being able to declare a set species as sworn blood enemies that must be expunged would be p. great. War on them all and woe those that would house these vermin.

That would be amazing, especially if combined with a faction that can only be appeased by killing Pops of the blood sword enemies.

Or maybe an entire ethos surrounding it. Every pop that's exteriminated gives a unity bonus, and when the job is done the ethos changes to something unique.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ChaseSP posted:

Oh hell yeah. I'd love some kind of super rivalry that requires your new enemy to have committed some kind of atrocity, can't be ended or costs a fuckton of influence to end, but gives you fanatic purifier level bonuses vs just those assholes.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ChaseSP posted:

We believe in peace and goodwill to all sentients except the Glipglorps. gently caress those guys.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason all of a sudden I want a variation of the event about the alien music performer.

Except instead of that, it people in your species discover an ancient game from a neighbouring alien race, about someone they call "the god emperor" and his quest to purge the galaxy of all alien life. It is surprisingly popular and has spawned a remarkable wave of architectural and cultural changes in your empire.

Basically it turns you into a civiliazation of people who loving love 40k, not actual 40k imperials but 40k imperial cosplayers. Who genocide the galaxy for a laugh.
Obviously this is the event that fires when you take control of another civ from the console.

If there are 'internal discord for random reasons' events, I hope one of them is an argument about hyperlanes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The game does have the ability to let the player switch between empires mid-game now, so making some (more) events for civil wars and fundamental splits in empire ethos, with the player getting to choose which side to continue playing and battling the other would be pretty cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

What percentage of mineral and energy loss would you get from all the miniatures?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume honestly like a 20% mineral malus and a combined -50 relationship +20% trade attractiveness modifier. Also your shipbuilding gets a 200% speed reduction and becomes twice as expensive but on the other hand they're all twice as tough and mount twice as big weaponry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I assume honestly like a 20% mineral malus and a combined -50 relationship +20% trade attractiveness modifier. Also your shipbuilding gets a 200% speed reduction and becomes twice as expensive but on the other hand they're all twice as tough and mount twice as big weaponry.
You can reduce build time through the new Skull Harvesting purge.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Poil posted:

What percentage of mineral and energy loss would you get from all the miniatures?

Make ships red for faster engines.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Splicer posted:

Oh hell yeah. I'd love some kind of super rivalry that requires your new enemy to have committed some kind of atrocity, can't be ended or costs a fuckton of influence to end, but gives you fanatic purifier level bonuses vs just those assholes.

"You shall suffer for this outrage, Chairman Yang! I will make you pay for each and every one of your atrocities!"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

"You shall suffer for this outrage, Chairman Yang! I will make you pay for each and every one of your atrocities!"

“Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!”

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just had a game where we found the Voyager I disc, on the rim of the galaxy opposite Earth, and found Sol III about the right distance from the galactic core. So it had traveled something like 70,000ly, meaning that if Voyager I doesn't slow down from its current speed of taking around 17,700 years to travel 1ly, this game took place around... 1,239,000,000 years from now.

Boy, you'd have thought those cockroaches would have got their poo poo together by that point!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Just had a game where we found the Voyager I disc, on the rim of the galaxy opposite Earth, and found Sol III about the right distance from the galactic core. So it had traveled something like 70,000ly, meaning that if Voyager I doesn't slow down from its current speed of taking around 17,700 years to travel 1ly, this game took place around... 1,239,000,000 years from now.

Boy, you'd have thought those cockroaches would have got their poo poo together by that point!

It fell through a worm hole.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hobbesmaster posted:

It fell through a worm hole.

2.0 hasn't dropped yet :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I feel I wasted an ascension slot on synthetic supremacy. There really aren't any robot traits I want that I didn't take at creation.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Ms Adequate posted:

2.0 hasn't dropped yet :colbert:

Some aliens found it and tried to follow the map directions on it, but they didn't realize they were already close to the system it came from and they got lost.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soonmot posted:

Huh, I feel I wasted an ascension slot on synthetic supremacy. There really aren't any robot traits I want that I didn't take at creation.

It's a big waste. I prefer the Machine World one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They're going to add higher end robot traits to fix that problem, but not till after Cherryh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soonmot posted:

Durable, efficient processes, enhanced memory, and learning algorithms are all good. My issue with synthetic age is that I run out of slots before I run out of points. It'd be neat if it gave you an improved Machine trait and an extra slot as well as more points, to match but be slightly different to genetic ascendancy's more points and better upgrades.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Durable, efficient processes, enhanced memory, and learning algorithms are all good. My issue with synthetic age is that I run out of slots before I run out of points. It'd be neat if it gave you an improved Machine trait and an extra slot as well as more points, to match but be slightly different to genetic ascendancy's more points and better upgrades.

It would also be handy if it let you specify which design leaders should be taken from, rather than just converting your homeworld and hoping for the best.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Just to throw my voice into the chorus (again), I agree that chances for certain significant events (similar to AI Rebellions) leading to empires breaking apart into insane variants or embracing fanatical purifier mindsets would be neat.

I mean, I imagine its already on Wiz's "Maybe this'd be neat" list anyway, but having your empire shear in two because Not-Alderaan got turned into an expanding gas cloud, half your people decided that "murder loving everything!" is the solution AND you hosed up controlling the chaos would be amazing. :allears: And the option to take control of that rising fanatical purifier empire or beat its face in before it murders you all? Even sweeter.

That's the kind of midgame crisis I crave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure Wiz already said that empire breaking is something everyone asks for, but they always hate it when it happens to them and not just someone else.

• Locked thread