Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

When did you ever need to do a grab before 2c though?

no "need" situations, but I see a lot of people figure it out on their first time through the A sides cause they're trying to be cautious and go slow which is a hard way to play celeste, it rewards well planned quick attempts at screens much more so than cautious slow ones(see 3C first screen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

6C done

I'm so close now...

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

6C done

I'm so close now...

you're really not

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You've still got the worst screen in the game left, the last room of 7C. :argh:
I was pleasantly surprised how nice 8C was other than trying to figure out how to actually use the bird's last mechanic hint.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I finally beat 5C but now I have to deal with 7C-3, which is so obnoxious with its spike corridors that it's actually putting me in a bad mood.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Regy Rusty posted:

I BEAT 5C

OH MY GOD IM FREE AT LAST
gently caress you! :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

you're really not

OK

Einwand posted:

You've still got the worst screen in the game left, the last room of 7C. :argh:
I was pleasantly surprised how nice 8C was other than trying to figure out how to actually use the bird's last mechanic hint.

Yeah I'm up to there now, it looks nasty. The rest of 7C wasn't bad at all though.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
As ridiculous as 7-C's last screen is, finally clearing it is the one of the most satisfying feelings I have had in game difficulty in a long time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I’m......bad at video games. How are people finished clearing A-B-C and some D already!? drat!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Done with 8-C. This is a PSA so not using spoiler tags. Be careful with your height at the end because you can still hit the pit and die after hitting the heart! You have been warned!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

somnambulist posted:

I’m......bad at video games. How are people finished clearing A-B-C and some D already!? drat!

wait there are god drat D levels?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alf_pogs posted:

wait there are god drat D levels?

The golden strawberries, or is that C? I......haven’t gotten close to that :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OK, that rotating fireball conveyor room in 8B was straight-up miserable unfun bullshit over which I felt I had no agency whatsoever.

e: oh good loving god the next room has rotating fireballs as well.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Ohmygod Chapter 7 was incredible :3: . That is all I have to say for now. I'll go back to try-harding and beating hard platforming levels some other time. For now I'm just gonna enjoy the afterglow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

7C! I DID 7C!

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

pumpinglemma posted:

OK, that rotating fireball conveyor room in 8B was straight-up miserable unfun bullshit over which I felt I had no agency whatsoever.

e: oh good loving god the next room has rotating fireballs as well.

I pretty much got through this by assuming that the game wants me to start moving as soon as the screen loads, and trial and error until I find a way through. For that last room you're in you're going to want to be doing mostly vertical dashes.

E - might be thinking of the wrong room. For the one that involves the triple rotating things just focus on finding a reliable reproducible way to get to the first cold switch, the rest should fall into place. The one after that has the vertical poo poo. Good luck :p

Tax Inductions fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 6, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tip for 7C's last screen: you do not have to dash wall jump off that one tiny block with spikes, you can easily reach the crystal and then the cloud beyond it by just keeping your height.

Wish I'd tried that earlier. Now it's just the last fast spike dash section with the crystals that stands between me and the end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finished 6 and 7c.

Crazy thing on 7c, I kept dying over and over on the second cloud, not moving fast enough and rocketing into the spikes.

Then I made it through that and cleared the rest of it the first time I made it past that cloud. I was basically shouting "Oh god!" every press of the dash button.

I had seen videos before, but I couldn't believe I got that last section. I wanted to play it again immediately and am getting nowhere close to beating that section now, I somehow just got lucky the first time or was so in focus time slowed down.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Finished 6 and 7c.

Crazy thing on 7c, I kept dying over and over on the second cloud, not moving fast enough and rocketing into the spikes.

Then I made it through that and cleared the rest of it the first time I made it past that cloud. I was basically shouting "Oh god!" every press of the dash button.

I had seen videos before, but I couldn't believe I got that last section. I wanted to play it again immediately and am getting nowhere close to beating that section now, I somehow just got lucky the first time or was so in focus time slowed down.

Ah I'm jealous. I finally had to admit defeat for the night once I started screwing up earlier sections out of fatigue but I bet I'll get it tomorrow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Take advantage of the binoculars - being able to plan your moves is huge, especially for the later sections. Me, I say my dash directions out loud IRL in order to execute the last dash maze on 7C reliably.

All I have left is the final room of 8C. You need ALL the techniques for this one, god drat.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Thankfully the last room of 8C did not require wall dashing, the bane of my life.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've been looping the soundtrack an alarming amount over the past week

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Is there a place to one-stop shop for the whole Celeste soundtrack, including the B-Sides?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a place to one-stop shop for the whole Celeste soundtrack, including the B-Sides?

Seconding.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

It's on Bandcamp for purchase, and also it's on Spotify.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's on Bandcamp for purchase, and also it's on Spotify.

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-original-soundtrack

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-b-sides

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

8C COMPLETE!

That fuckin ruled.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The more I try to do it, the more I realize the final screen of 7C is like some kind of platforming Nirvana. It's a marathon, yes, but it's a marathon whose every single inch is down to your own personal skill. There are no moving platforms or obstacles to gently caress you up because you happened to start the screen at the wrong moment. There are no bullshit mechanics that are required but only seem to work half the time (well, I guess there's that one dash-walljump block in the middle, but you can skip it). I must have died at least 300 times on this screen alone, if not more, and there hasn't been a single time where I've gotten frustrated or felt like I wanted to throw something. Each death just makes me want to keep trying again and again, not because I'm angry and want to spite the level, but because somehow I use the binoculars, look at this incredibly difficult screen, and all I can think is that I know I can do this.

I am going to beat this level.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
2-B was rough, but it was really fun to mess with the space blocks. Though the semi-final screen was fairly easy for me to pull off, and I was a bit underwhelmed when I got to the very last screen. :v: Ultimately, I think I found 1-B trickier.

Cleaning up the remaining strawberries I'm missing, and I'm missing one in chapter 3. Specifically, the very last one in section 2. I'm just gonna ask for a vague hint, is it in the bottom section, or is this a strawberry I can only get when I cleaned up everything?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. Fetus posted:

2-B was rough, but it was really fun to mess with the space blocks. Though the semi-final screen was fairly easy for me to pull off, and I was a bit underwhelmed when I got to the very last screen. :v: Ultimately, I think I found 1-B trickier.

Cleaning up the remaining strawberries I'm missing, and I'm missing one in chapter 3. Specifically, the very last one in section 2. I'm just gonna ask for a vague hint, is it in the bottom section, or is this a strawberry I can only get when I cleaned up everything?

section 2 starts when you meet badeline and ends when you wake up. The berry in the last room where she is chasing you is the 3rd to last.

e. chapter 2 is not chapter 3 lmao

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Assuming you mean celestial resort in the "big mess" section, try looking for areas you can go once you've cleared up some of the mess that weren't open before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those that are interested, I'm streaming the game right now (this early in the morning, for me). Come hang out and talk about how good it is with me! Starting a new save file for the stream.

edit: Thanks for hanging out, folks. The stream is processing right now but the full 3.5 hours will be archived automatically as soon as it's done.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 6, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The more I try to do it, the more I realize the final screen of 7C is like some kind of platforming Nirvana. It's a marathon, yes, but it's a marathon whose every single inch is down to your own personal skill. There are no moving platforms or obstacles to gently caress you up because you happened to start the screen at the wrong moment. There are no bullshit mechanics that are required but only seem to work half the time (well, I guess there's that one dash-walljump block in the middle, but you can skip it). I must have died at least 300 times on this screen alone, if not more, and there hasn't been a single time where I've gotten frustrated or felt like I wanted to throw something. Each death just makes me want to keep trying again and again, not because I'm angry and want to spite the level, but because somehow I use the binoculars, look at this incredibly difficult screen, and all I can think is that I know I can do this.

I am going to beat this level.

That screen is really special because once you finally beat it you can run back through places like 1-B and it feels like "huh, this is so safe and easy. Why was I ever struggling here?" or at least that was my experience.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

grand theft grotto posted:

That screen is really special because once you finally beat it you can run back through places like 1-B and it feels like "huh, this is so safe and easy. Why was I ever struggling here?" or at least that was my experience.
Yeah, I actually really liked that screen even though I died hundreds of times on it. Kinda wish they made it the very last screen of the game, to be honest; It even has a cool cutscene at the end!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the volcano interior is a cool screen as well but honestly kind of an anticlimax

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is there any actual reward for finishing the Pico-8 version? Or is it just available to be available.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you get all 18 berries in the Pico-8 version then you unlock a warm feeling of accomplishment inside yourself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you need to finish pico8 in chapter 3 to get the star on the notes page for it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Einwand posted:

Assuming you mean celestial resort in the "big mess" section, try looking for areas you can go once you've cleared up some of the mess that weren't open before.

Ah, thanks. I thought that was a death pit, so I didn't bother going in there. Not sure how to feel about that strawberry.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Do you need to finish pico8 in chapter 3 to get the star on the notes page for it?

You do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

^burtle posted:

Is there any actual reward for finishing the Pico-8 version? Or is it just available to be available.

You gotta get all 18 berries deathless in under 2:40 and then you get invited into the beta for their next game