Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Goober Peas posted:

Ryan reminds me of the dorky dad from RugRats

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress do you not know fair catch at least.

I don't recall ever hearing the term "fair catch" in my life because I've only watched like two football games ever. I mean it makes sense that it would be called a "fair catch" but I wouldn't immediately cotton on that that's the technical term that's being asked for.

I don't watch sports because I find them boring. I don't think it should be all that surprising that this is a trait commonly found among the kinds of people who watch and appear on Jeopardy! :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't watch sports because I find them boring. I don't think it should be all that surprising that this is a trait commonly found among the kinds of people who watch and appear on Jeopardy! :shrug:

Sports categories are pretty common.

I will say that the $200 clue was much harder than a $200 clue should be, even many football fans don't know what an option play is.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

WampaLord posted:

I will say that the $200 clue was much harder than a $200 clue should be, even many football fans don't know what an option play is.

Yeah, they're common enough for it to be a well-worn trope that Jeopardy! players aren't too good at sports trivia. At best, you might get one person out of three who's a sports nerd and answers most of the clues in the category.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you should probably know very basic things about the most popular sport when going on a trivia show.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Yeah, it's no different than not knowing anything about opera, ballet or art history, but Jeopardy nerds think it's cool to turn their noses up at filthy sportsball aficionados

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

you should probably know very basic things about the most popular sport when going on a trivia show.

different kind of football :haw:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most Jeopardy sports clues are about sports metadata (team identities, history, famous players, etc). This is the first time I can recall them asking about how to actually play a sport.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Ryan reminds me of the dorky dad from RugRats

Chuckie's dad hosed tho

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Most Jeopardy sports clues are about sports metadata (team identities, history, famous players, etc). This is the first time I can recall them asking about how to actually play a sport.

I've watched some Sports Jeopardy on NBCSN and I get killed because I can't pull AFL passing stats out of my rear end.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

WampaLord posted:

Agreed, I only knew it because of a job interview I had a job interview at a Kaplan a decade back where another candidate did a mock lecture on it as part of the interview, and it stuck in my mind. But yeah, I also only knew who Tom Landry was and who he coached because of King of the Hill.

I missed the episode because I was on my way to see a Digimon movie (lol animu stuff, amirite?) but looking at that Jeopardy Twitter video posted last page, I got all of them except the $1000 clue. Helps that my grandpa was a big football fan (imagine, an old Chinese dude monopolizing the TV on Sunday afternoons to watch his games, even if he couldn't pronounce the team names correctly, he rooted for the "Gi" and the "Jet"), and it transferred to me because he basically raised me, and a couple of my uncles, and independently of them, a whole lot of my cousins.

Yes, it's a cliche that Jeopardy contestants are clueless about sports, but cliches are there for a reason. More fodder sports blogs and such, but yeah, this was pretty drat embarrassing. Funny to read a bunch of the more mocking articles all in good fun, since Jeopardy and Trebek himself roasted the competitors himself. Still, I doubt it'll convince more potential contestants to study up on sports stuff if it isn't among their interests already, even if it'll potentially make them look terrible like yesterday if it comes up.

And this likely will go far, but probably not to the point of that episode last year where they only got through half of the sports category before Anupama, a challenger, responded with the Colorado Rockies in response to a question about NFL Hall of Famers. The Rockies wound up sending her a bunch of merch even though she's a Cubs fan, including an IOU for tickets and a signed photo of a Marcus Allen (the subject of the clue she infamously bombed) who works as a video producer in their organization.

Anyway, I don't want to see how the Jeopardy Facebook page was taking this, though it looks the like the Twitter roasting was all in good fun because of how Jeopardy kicked it off and Trebek's reaction. I know one of the admins of our contestant FB group (Jason Sterlacci, the Teacher's Tournament winner from two years back and recent ToC contestant) had to keep deleting posts on the subject and reminding people the rule in the group not to post about the game until 11PM Eastern so as not to spoil others until any plausible West Coast airings are done.

I missed a bunch of Ryan's games this week because of doctor's appointments and other meetings I had to go to, but I caught tonight's. I can see why people don't like him because of large swings in his scores from negging so much, like today's game, where he dug himself into a hole real early and just couldn't climb out. His first appearance was like that too on Monday, but a couple of judges rulings going for him let him pull back after that commercial break and just left everyone behind soon after. Like, his ability to make some decent comebacks made for some good Jeopardy watching. Didn't work out too well for him tonight though, even if he was the only one to hit Final, but was too deep in the hole to make a difference. Second place even bet to cover him by a dollar after she missed it, which was good for a laugh from me and him as well apparently (or someone in the audience) when her bet and final score was shown. I didn't get Final myself until the last minute, but that was because I wasn't paying too much attention unfortunately, but likely without enough time to be able to write it down if I was behind the podium.

Well, he likely won't be back for the next ToC though, what with only 4 wins under his belt. So if you didn't like him, you won't have to see him again in the future either. I didn't think he was too bad, but I can see why others wouldn't like his breadth of knowledge, compared to previous champions, and how his challengers didn't seem to give him that much to work against either.

Also, I guess the contestant coordinators stopped telling people not to shake their fellow contestants' hands after the game until Alex comes over for the chat and handshakes then, so as not to possibly fall off of the electronic stand lifts (aka the electronic apple crates, which is what a bunch of former contestants call them, after I think Kristen Sausville started using it in the group and it caught on) that we stand on behind the podiums to somewhat equalize our heights when doing so. But now that the contestants don't walk out from behind the podiums for the chat during the credits and Alex walks over instead (and now the podium dividers are electronically power and raise and drop by themselves before and after Final instead of needing to be physically put in place by the crew), I guess they changed that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 4, 2018

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tell that to Arthur Chu.

Anyway, I asked my friend who's super into football and he said most of the clues were phrased in relatively abstract or unclear terms and it wouldn't surprise him if even an average person who watched football got them wrong. Maybe you're just being a dick.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, it's no different than not knowing anything about opera, ballet or art history, but Jeopardy nerds think it's cool to turn their noses up at filthy sportsball aficionados

Exactly. Give the average person mocking these Jeopardy nerds clues about any of those categories and they'd probably be just as stumped. The difference is I'm not looking down my nose at anyone for not knowing about those things. If you're not interested in those things you're just not going to know much about them. It honestly doesn't really matter and has nothing to do with how smart you are. Even most of those articles were clearly being written in good fun. The only person truly being unpleasantly condescending about it that I've so far encountered is Groovelord Neato here in this thread.

haveblue posted:

I don't know man. Obviously this is me, a non-sports fan, but I consider "very basic" knowledge about football to be stuff about first downs, interceptions, field goals, end zones, safeties, etc. This stuff seems like one step above basic knowledge, the kind of stuff you'd only know if you watched the sport routinely, listened to sports commentary, read sports articles, etc.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 3, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have never ever watched a single football game in my entire life. Literally zero games watched. Other than that random times they have it on mute at a bar.

e: okay I’ve gone to some college games but saying I watched them would be too much. More like I cheered whenever the people around me cheered and I put my hands on my head a lot like other people did.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how is "The Great Schism" not the correct answer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas#Final_days_and_%22straw%22_(1272%E2%80%931274)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, that puzzled me as well. I guess Ryan didn't challenge the ruling, or the judges ruled against him off screen. Mistakes were probably made there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was mad the guy couldn't get Berlin from Bern.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't recall ever hearing the term "fair catch" in my life because I've only watched like two football games ever. I mean it makes sense that it would be called a "fair catch" but I wouldn't immediately cotton on that that's the technical term that's being asked for.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have never ever watched a single football game in my entire life. Literally zero games watched. Other than that random times they have it on mute at a bar.

e: okay I’ve gone to some college games but saying I watched them would be too much. More like I cheered whenever the people around me cheered and I put my hands on my head a lot like other people did.

Oh my god not being into sports is the jeopardy nerd equivalent of "I don't even have a TV".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as I can laugh at them for lack of American football knowledge, I'd probably be completely lost if they had a category about cricket or Australian football or something.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Oh my god not being into sports is the jeopardy nerd equivalent of "I don't even have a TV".

I'm not bragging though. I'm just saying I don't see why it's any more mockworthy than not being into opera.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not bragging though. I'm just saying I don't see why it's any more mockworthy than not being into opera.

When the contestants whiff on an opera category it doesn’t become a trending twitter topic and get articles on every major news outlet

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Super Bowl is coming up and news people like to have football stories in the headlines this week. The Super Bowl is a football game.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

When the contestants whiff on an opera category it doesn’t become a trending twitter topic and get articles on every major news outlet

I answered all but one of the football questions and I rarely watch the game and all I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The opera categories are more similar to the sports statistics categories, because they focus on specific information about operas, not how/what operas are in general.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I get why people in the wider world are latching on to and laughing about it. I don't get why people in this thread are so incredulous.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I answered all but one of the football questions and I rarely watch the game and all I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny.

I'm genuinely curious why it might be that I don't know this stuff. I'm not some shut-in. I hang out with people who watch football, I go to bars, I usually get together with friends and watch the Super Bowl every year--so why don't I know what an option play is? I'm serious. Why am I so lacking in this common knowledge? Am I just uncommonly stupid or unobservant? The fact that I can gather and retain so much information about so many other things after only relatively brief exposures would seem to indicate otherwise.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me that you have to watch and follow the sport to know these things. I don't think it's basic knowledge you glean from cultural osmosis like people are making it out to be. Touchdowns and field goals are part of the general cultural vernacular. I don't feel like fair catches and option plays are. That's just my impression as a non-fan (obviously, because the information had to have escaped me somehow).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm genuinely curious why it might be that I don't know this stuff. I'm not some shut-in. I hang out with people who watch football, I go to bars, I usually get together with friends and watch the Super Bowl every year--so why don't I know what an option play is? I'm serious. Why am I so lacking in this common knowledge? Am I just uncommonly stupid or unobservant? The fact that I can gather and retain so much information about so many other things after only relatively brief exposures would seem to indicate otherwise.

Announcers don't really talk about in depth football terms that often, they try to keep it accessible to the mainstream audience. After an option play, you might hear the announcers call it an option play, but you'll have no idea what exactly that means because all you hear is "The option play got them 5 yards, it's now third down" and they don't really go into explaining what an option play is.

So anyone who's ever seen a football game probably knows about touchdowns/field goals/fumbles/interceptions but it's unlikely they know about things like post routes/option play/nickel defense because those are more detailed concepts that announcers don't really break down and discuss.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

I get why people in the wider world are latching on to and laughing about it. I don't get why people in this thread are so incredulous.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me that you have to watch and follow the sport to know these things. I don't think it's basic knowledge you glean from cultural osmosis like people are making it out to be. Touchdowns and field goals are part of the general cultural vernacular. I don't feel like fair catches and option plays are. That's just my impression as a non-fan (obviously, because the information had to have escaped me somehow).

I’ll actually concede your point here, because it’s probably true. Option plays and offsetting penalties aren’t necessarily every-game occurrences, so I can understand not knowing what those are if you’re a less-than-casual watcher.

Fair catches though...I’ve seen games where there are more of those than touchdowns.

E: or actually, Option plays probably do happen every game, but as the above poster pointed out, they aren’t always called out as such by the announcers.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 3, 2018

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Also, option plays mostly only happen in college games, so if your main exposure is the nfl, I could see never hearing of it before.

As a casual at best observer of football, all except that last question were pretty easy. The fact that all three of them went 0 for 5 was pretty funny, usually there is at least one contestant with a little bit of sports knowledge.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel really dumb after final jeopardy tonight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As someone who watches football casually every so often and has idly read a few wikipedia articles about the more entertainingly esoteric bits but doesn't really consider themselves a "sports person", I got 3 out of 5- fair catch and offset penalties off the top of my head, option play as a guess, didn't know Landry was a Cowboy or the name "purple people eaters".

My GF, who is way more into sports history and lore than the actual mechanics of the game, got the exact inverse.

I did hear a commentator mention "option play" during the Super Bowl, though, so there's that.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 6, 2018

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

I’ll actually concede your point here, because it’s probably true. Option plays and offsetting penalties aren’t necessarily every-game occurrences, so I can understand not knowing what those are if you’re a less-than-casual watcher.

Fair catches though...I’ve seen games where there are more of those than touchdowns.

E: or actually, Option plays probably do happen every game, but as the above poster pointed out, they aren’t always called out as such by the announcers.

Eh, you see fair catches, but how often is it really called one? I don't recall it being mentioned too often, though I don't watch football too often either.

I only knew it because of XFL's stupid "NO FAIR CATCHES!!!!! XTREEEEEEEEME!" marketing initiative back in the day before 900 players got injured.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

MisterZimbu posted:

Eh, you see fair catches, but how often is it really called one? I don't recall it being mentioned too often, though I don't watch football too often either.

The announcer literally always says "..and last name signals the fair catch.."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

The announcer literally always says "..and last name signals the fair catch.."

Yea but no one's paying attention on punts unless a big return happens

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

WampaLord posted:

Yea but no one's paying attention on punts unless a big return happens

Jeopardy rewards paying attention to stuff!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Uh disography and veterngarian were just objectively wrong

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alex Trebek: "white is right"

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I didn't like John before, but his "I'm an investment banker and go to thrift stores to buy the good clothes and resell them online" made me want to reach through the TV and strangle him.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Uh disography and veterngarian were just objectively wrong

What is going wrong with the judging lately? They've been calling correct answers wrong (more than once in a couple of weeks), and then try and gift this guy a win. Thankfully he didn't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What is a loving tuba?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The American business known as the tuba industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does the guy in the middle not have a jacket that remotely fits him?