Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
The Tomb of Mild Surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
This splat is truly outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

This splat is truly outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

This looks great. Tossed in a few dollars

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If someone has heavy armor master for the -3 reduction to slashing damage, and resistance to slashing damage, in which order do I apply the effects?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Soylent Pudding posted:

If someone has heavy armor master for the -3 reduction to slashing damage, and resistance to slashing damage, in which order do I apply the effects?

Resistance then reduction.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Someone who watched Dragon Talk with Jeremy Crawford says he confirmed the following player race options for the new book:

Githyanki (Gith Subrace)
Githzerai (Gith Subrace)
Eladrin (Elf Subrace)
Shadar Kai (Elf Subrace)
Sea Elf (Elf Subrace)
Tiefling Variant (from UA)
Duergar

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kaysette posted:

Someone who watched Dragon Talk with Jeremy Crawford says he confirmed the following player race options for the new book:

Githyanki (Gith Subrace)
Githzerai (Gith Subrace)
Eladrin (Elf Subrace)
Shadar Kai (Elf Subrace)
Sea Elf (Elf Subrace)
Tiefling Variant (from UA)
Duergar

Ewww. Does the game (or any game, for that matter) really need three new types of Elves to hate?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

three new types of Elves

Two definitely-not-elves-you-guys, three elves, and one edgy pseudo-elf.

And an emo dwarf which might be pretty neat.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 6, 2018

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I'm finally running a 5e game in the near future (no experience DMing or playing 5e). I have three D&D newcomers and two people with much more experience. I was planning to start with the Yawning Portal version of Sunless Citadel; is there anything I should know about running that?

First session is coming up and it turns out that half my party is already familiar with Sunless Citadel. I'm going to swap to LMoP unless there's a better adventure to start with?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

tzirean posted:

First session is coming up and it turns out that half my party is already familiar with Sunless Citadel. I'm going to swap to LMoP unless there's a better adventure to start with?

Please let us know if:

A) They attempt to befriend/tame the wolves and
B) Torture

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And an emphatic statement that playable Mindflayers will never, ever be a thing in D&D. Also we will be getting the Archdevils in this book.

tzirean posted:

It's a pretty great starting point.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I really don't understand why they keep making sub-races and then also full on races. Deep Gnomes are their own thing in Elemental Evil, but are a Gnome sub-race in SCAG. Duergar is also a sub-race in SCAG.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

I really don't understand why they keep making sub-races and then also full on races. Deep Gnomes are their own thing in Elemental Evil, but are a Gnome sub-race in SCAG. Duergar is also a sub-race in SCAG.

Because in order to do something new, they'd need a creative, talented design team. But they don't need bother, because a shitload of people will gush over how great the "new" stuff is regardless of whether it's new and great or the third iteration of a slightly reworded copy/paste of a mediocre part of a mediocre book from 15 years ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What is it a poster said upthread? The only thing D&D knows how to simulate is itself?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

And an emphatic statement that playable Mindflayers will never, ever be a thing in D&D. Also we will be getting the Archdevils in this book.

Why is a mindflayer unreasonable as a PC? Or any of the more interesting races really?

Like a Beholder PC would be rad as hell, give me more of that fun race as class poo poo that 4e promised and never delivered. Grow new eyestalks as you level up and stuff.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

User0015 posted:

Please let us know if:

A) They attempt to befriend/tame the wolves and
B) Torture

Oh you. I promise to bring more updates now the party is in town. They're all doing character updates. I'll share some with you after work. I think we may even have a new player.

Also what do people think of my character back story idea?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

Why is a mindflayer unreasonable as a PC? Or any of the more interesting races really?

Like a Beholder PC would be rad as hell, give me more of that fun race as class poo poo that 4e promised and never delivered. Grow new eyestalks as you level up and stuff.

PC Flumph and Neogi or GTFO.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Put playable lizardfolk and gnolls in the PHB and 50% of players would never play anything but.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Eh, unless Variant Human remains a slightly better option still.

kingcom posted:

My one sad memory of 4e was my DM balking at my Shardmind character concept because that was apparently the official "too weird" line for his tastes.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theironjef posted:

I mean, I hear you

but

but

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Alongside DTAS we also have a great need of Death to Race Defining Role

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I mean, I hear you

but

but

Hell yeah

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly at this point I think Variant Human should just be banned as an option for being too overpowered.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Honestly at this point I think Variant Human should just be banned as an option for being too overpowered.

It's not necessarily overpowered, it's just obviously the best choice for probably most options because a few feats are really, really useful. Not really overpowered, I think, because the power scale is so hosed already that feats aren't the issue.

It's not that Variant Human is too good it's that the other races are bad. Purposefully so, because it's tradition to separate races by their stat bonuses and Humans getting a bonus feat is a proud honored-since-3E tradition that must also be translated, so you have now an edition where the stat difference levels out because of the lower range of stats but an extra feat is always gonna mean the Human can have more customization built in which means they apply well to more builds

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arthil posted:

Notice how these are in different books. They keep reprinting the same poo poo over and over again because of Adventure League. No, really. It has a dumb rule wherein you can only use the PHB and 1 other book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Alternatively: every character should get a feat at level 1, if one is playing with feats at all.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I respect Duergar, almost entirely because of icewind dale 2 and barkley

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darwinism posted:

Alongside DTAS we also have a great need of Death to Race Defining Role
"Dwarves are bad bards" has annoyed me forever. They're born to be drunken revelers! They should be great bards!

Darwinism posted:

It's not necessarily overpowered, it's just obviously the best choice for probably most options because a few feats are really, really useful. Not really overpowered, I think, because the power scale is so hosed already that feats aren't the issue.
Even setting aside power, variant human is really attractive to a lot of people because customizing characters is really fun, and 5e very purposefully cut down on how much of that you can do at level 1.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 6, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gridlocked posted:

Tomb of Minimal Horrors.

Run tomb of horrors but replace things with funhouse styled encounters. Put clown paint on your zombies. Have people fall into the ball pit. Replace sphere of anhiliation with Sphere of Many Colours that makes people glow various colours when they touch it
Tomb of Jump Scares.

MonsterEnvy posted:

And an emphatic statement that playable Mindflayers will never, ever be a thing in D&D. Also we will be getting the Archdevils in this book..
It's been a longstanding goal of mine to play a guy wearing an octopus familiar on his face pretending to be a mindflayer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The narrative core problem with Illithids is similar to vampires - gotta kill to eat. Unlike vampires who can "cheat" and sometimes only kinda need blood or only need a little, Illithids there's no question - they eat, someone dies. And while D&D has and will always be about killing things and taking their stuff, it still tries to pretend otherwise. Also, there's the worry that making them PCs makes them less powerful/alien/scary to players.

...And, yes, it's also really like 90% about TRADITION and overly conservative and lazy design and etc, not what I typed above.

EDIT: Variant humans aren't overpowered, everyone else is weak - and boring. Honestly, the only racial ability I've seen anyone pay attention to is the Elven Accuracy feat. Nothing else stands out. Juuuuust like 3e.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 6, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Variant human is functionally overpowered. But it's complex.

I think it's more that there are a handful of feats that are patently overpowered, but they don't see a lot of play when they compete for ASIs because even so an ASI is a better option.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

My one sad memory of 4e was my DM balking at my Shardmind character concept because that was apparently the official "too weird" line for his tastes.

i gotta admit i don't like shardminds myself

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mendrian posted:

Variant human is functionally overpowered. But it's complex.

I think it's more that there are a handful of feats that are patently overpowered, but they don't see a lot of play when they compete for ASIs because even so an ASI is a better option.

Can you rephrase that? Because a feat is good, nevermind overpowered, when it's better than an ASI.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alternatively: every character should get a feat at level 1, if one is playing with feats at all.

This is what I do. No variant humans but everyone gets a free level 1 feat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blacknose posted:

This is what I do. No variant humans but everyone gets a free level 1 feat.

This makes Half-Elves the best race and Humans the worst.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

This makes Half-Elves the best race and Humans the worst.
While Half elves would have +2 skills +2 feats and +2Cha +1 +1, humans would still have +1 in all attributes & +1 feat.If you go point buy, it makes starting with 2x 16 and a few 10s easy, far from the worst.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 6, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kill attributes, replace racial attributes with a single defining racial power useful across the board. To be frank, you could've done this just fine with 4e; Stuff like elves rerolling an attack, eladrin's fey jump, kobolds getting shifty, or dwarves ":laffo: go gently caress yourself" healing as a minor were always far better at expressing the stereotypes of that race then any bonus or penalty to attributes. I barely even remember what attributes half elves got because their absurd versatility in getting access to another class' powers was a trillion percent more interesting and better at defining them as "duders who are caught between multiple societies and worlds, adapting to everything and borrowing from every culture they can find." Like, ok, a bonus to who gives a poo poo attributes, but far more importantly, every half-elf has some loving trick they picked up from someone or somewhere else that they absolutely should not really be able to do. That's the real good poo poo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

While Half elves would have +2 skills +2 feats and +2Cha +1 +1, humans would still have +1 in all attributes & +1 feat.If you go point buy, it makes starting with 2x 16 and a few 10s easy, far from the worst.

Maybe I was too vague.

Standard Human is already the worst race. If you give everyone a starting feat that brings everyone up, including Standard Human, but it doesn't change their position at the bottom of the totem pole.

The fact is that +1 on two or three stats you don't mechanically care about is garbage compared to other racial perks. Just look at Paladin: it's the most MAD class in the system, and under this scheme, Half-Elf does it better than Human.

Even if you wanted a 16/16/16 array at the cost of dumping everything else (ie Monk), a +2/+1 race matches it upon the first ASI.

There's just nothing there for Standard Human.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
What array would you take for SorcLock (caster not melee) as a half elf?

I personally am not big on dumping too much except maybe Strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gridlocked posted:

What array would you take for SorcLock (caster not melee) as a half elf?

I personally am not big on dumping too much except maybe Strength

Intelligence and Strength do nothing for you. Wisdom only technically does something for you in the form of wisdom saves. You want to blast the gently caress out of Charisma, and then Also Have Constitution and Dexterity, probably in that order too.