Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Punkbob posted:

it’s as painful to setup as lvm in some respects but zfs beats the pants off of lvm after that. snapshots and backups become _too_ easy.

btrfs can’t seem to get its poo poo together and the zfs licensing stuff is so stupid. supposedly there is some internal traction to relicense it but lol oracle.

even if it were licensed correctly, it's an abandoned product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

don't just make things up, dd from ro is fine. the issue people have with lvm is that it's overengineered and convoluted as gently caress if you just use it on a laptop/desktop harddrive. first PVs, then LVs, and _then_ the loving fs

screw that

dd from a remounted ro filesystem is not fine. it is not possible to validate that nothing is writing to the filesystem without actually unmounting it.

(you can, of course, safely backup a filesystem that was originally mounted ro, as nothing would ever have had the opportunity to start writing to it)

Tankakern posted:

but why not just use rsync or tar for backup, tar has finally catched up and is able to back up xattrs now too, making backups usable. bind-mount root to somewhere and backup from there so you dont have to exclude 100 dirs

tar is a perfectly adequate backup tool in a pinch

and you can use the --one-file-system flag to avoid accidentally backing up /proc or whatever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that is what ive thought of but they are an extremely non-technical user who is unlikely to have ever gone to terminal for anything

maybe they tried one of those focus apps? those things basically use a bunch of accessibility and hidden features to do stuff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and you can use the --one-file-system flag to avoid accidentally backing up /proc or whatever

i think you'll miss the files hidden behind mounted folders then. e.g. the ~extremely important~ .keep-files distros put in empty folders so they cannot be rmdir-ed when not mounted

edit: when i think about it, they do one more thing too.. making sure that the folders are recreated when restoring from backups. so there's an actual use for them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my phone is a computer and the signal strength meter is a piece of poo poo that doesn’t take into account anything else that matters like network load or multi pathing

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my phone happily reports 75% signal hsdpa with absolutley non functioning internet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's like complaining that the internet is down but your wifi signal strength is at 75%

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bobbilljim posted:

my phone happily reports 75% signal hsdpa with absolutley non functioning internet

Can any internet that allows the display of your posts truly be considered functional, though?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that's like complaining that the internet is down but your wifi signal strength is at 75%

congrats

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there's a particular spot in my workplace where my iphone consistently reports full bars 4g but absolutely nothing will load on it. i wonder if a weird interference pattern could do that, but then it's not that specific of a spot

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's a particular spot in my workplace where my iphone consistently reports full bars 4g but absolutely nothing will load on it. i wonder if a weird interference pattern could do that, but then it's not that specific of a spot

The thick layers of leaded paint (the effects of which account for the low quality of your posts) have created a Faraday cage. Hth.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:mad:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
has anyone in here ever seen a terminal emulator break on windows in a way where it gets really slow and 'cd ~' takes you to a directory that is just '/p/' instead of '/c/users/myname/'?

it seems to happen to my work computer every time i do a windows update and it is a nightmare for getting poo poo done

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

… terminal emulator … windows … really slow … 'cd ~' … '/p/' … '/c/users/myname/'?

… windows … nightmare for getting poo poo done

what the gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah normally when that happens mine returns to /badass/

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what the gently caress

i didn't ask for this

when i started at this place they asked me what kind of env i wanted and i said ubuntu laptop and they gave me this windows pos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

i didn't ask for this

when i started at this place they asked me what kind of env i wanted and i said ubuntu laptop and they gave me this windows pos

reinstall ubuntu instead of using wahtever crapware terminal emulators that you do?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corla Plankun posted:

i didn't ask for this

Yes you did, because:

Corla Plankun posted:

when i started at this place they asked me what kind of env i wanted... i said ubuntu laptop

Rather than a MacBook Pro?

Own your own mistakes.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ive never used a mac before and i didnt want to look like a computer illiterate on my first day

i've since asked for a mac because we're supposed to get a new one on our 3yr anniversary but lol they're not doing that anymore :cool:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

sorry not :cool: i meant :waycool:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

ive never used a mac before and i didnt want to look like a computer illiterate on my first day

i've since asked for a mac because we're supposed to get a new one on our 3yr anniversary but lol they're not doing that anymore :cool:

using a Linux shell is a sign you're using bad tools so its not something i'd want to show to a prospective employer

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lol even microsoft added a linux shell into windows how did your brain survive the level of cognitive dissonance that must have induced

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the Linux shell is so you can use bad tools on windows. it doesn't mean you should use the bad tools

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

lol even microsoft added a linux shell into windows how did your brain survive the level of cognitive dissonance that must have induced

shaggar's not really a brain with thoughts, just a for loop, never respond to them, hth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
sometimes, shaggar is right

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

the Linux shell is so you can use bad tools on windows. it doesn't mean you should use the bad tools

microsoft uses git for the windows source code, is that a bad tool?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes but windows is maybe one of the few places where it has justifiable benefits

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
reminder that windows 10 now has ssh and sshd

not the subsystem for linux, native ssh/sshd

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

today i accidentally vagrant's vendored ssh instead of the msgit one and it connected me with no terminal prompt whatsoever lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

anthonypants posted:

does it ssh into powershell?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

does it ssh into powershell?

i think i read somewhere you get cmd.exe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anthonypants posted:

really? because loving finally.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm waiting until wsl ssh server can run as a service

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jenny Agutter posted:

it's almost certainly some nasty multipathing that surpasses your phone's ability to null it out, given how most offices are built with metal studs. If you're working in a place with a curtain wall, that doesn't help (along with the fact that most office windows have metal-based tints to reflect out excess light and thermal energy)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jimmy Carter posted:

it's almost certainly some nasty multipathing that surpasses your phone's ability to null it out, given how most offices are built with metal studs. If you're working in a place with a curtain wall, that doesn't help (along with the fact that most office windows have metal-based tints to reflect out excess light and thermal energy)

does your office building not have a distributed antenna system?

e: meant the op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am getting real sick of google music. i have all 20,000 mp3 in my library uploaded to their thing, but accessing it from my phone is the worst. searching is slow and bad and it always, always, always gives a lovely internet radio station as the first result, even if i type the name of the song i want word for word.

you searched for "meat loaf bat out of hell". instead of loading up that mp3, here's some stupid loving thing that'll play songs that we think are similar, but never that specific one, and with more ads than the local top 40 station! eat poo poo, fucker!

so anyway -- is there some other service i can use to do this? i don't want to put 60 gigs of mp3s on my phone. i just want to stick them somewhere and have a simple browser that lets me search and stream the one i want.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i tried to figure it out but it was boring and it eventually made me admit to myself that i'm never going to need more than 10 albums in a day

so I just toss on a good mixture and leave the rest on my desktop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i am getting real sick of google music. i have all 20,000 mp3 in my library uploaded to their thing, but accessing it from my phone is the worst. searching is slow and bad and it always, always, always gives a lovely internet radio station as the first result, even if i type the name of the song i want word for word.

you searched for "meat loaf bat out of hell". instead of loading up that mp3, here's some stupid loving thing that'll play songs that we think are similar, but never that specific one, and with more ads than the local top 40 station! eat poo poo, fucker!

so anyway -- is there some other service i can use to do this? i don't want to put 60 gigs of mp3s on my phone. i just want to stick them somewhere and have a simple browser that lets me search and stream the one i want.

amazon did have it but shut it down. apple music does have it too, i think, but they have some quality restrictions and songs go by count, rather than size.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

although im genuinely curious what you earth you listen that between apple music/google music/amazon music/spotify you cant find a decent chunk of you're poo poo. i listen to artisanal drum & bass mp3s from estonian villages (not even too terribly exaggerating here) and i can find a decent chunk of it on the same spotify, including basically every major artists in the niche/subgenre. is this some pearl clutching over your hand curated warez stash from limewire or do you really not listen dadrock or some other music for olds like i imagine half the yospos do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't want to try four different services to see which one has the song i want to listen to. i know what's in my library and i want to listen to that.

i would probably be okay with google music if i could just disable all the live station garbage and just have it stream my own library, or at least show only those search results. but it always gives me those and the interface is just so, so bad